Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I know it's not a car tool, but, uh, suggestions on a hatchet to split some wood? I only need to break down about a dozen chunks of hickory into something smaller for my smoker.

Estwing makes some alright hatchets for a decent price. Or go on a garage sale hunt and find an estwing older then all of us. And it will out live and out perform any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Fiskars makes great modern hatchets and axes. I've got one that's been used to death and hasn't shown any damage. The molded handle is still tight.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

donut posted:

I work for a bike share and we use these for keeping tires inflated in the field. We have maybe a dozen of them collectively topping off 2000+ tires every month. Every so often we have to crack them open and cut a bit off the end of the hose and put on a new zip tie or two when the cloth wrap comes unraveled and the hose breaks, but other than that they've been very reliable.

The coolest hammer/screwdriver thing I've seen is the Vessel Impacta, which has a mechanism where you smack the back of the handle with a hammer, thus driving the head into the screw and simultaneously sharply turning it left to hopefully extract stubborn screws.

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/megadora/980-series-detail

What the gently caress

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

QuarkMartial posted:

I know it's not a car tool, but, uh, suggestions on a hatchet to split some wood? I only need to break down about a dozen chunks of hickory into something smaller for my smoker.

Seminal Flu posted:

Harbor Freight for the cheapest one. If you keep using it and like it and want a high-end hatchet, get a Gransfors Bruk Splitting Hatchet https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bruks-441-splitting-hatchet/dp/B000WIV9DW

I bought a HF hatchet for exactly this. Some of the chunks right out of the bag were too large to get into my smoker. It's good enough for that.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Hatchet? Odd way to spell 'Hammer' !

I'm partial to my Gerber though, it has a little useless magnetic steak knife saw thingy in the handle. The back side also functions as a hammer.

The 'Gator Combo axe' https://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Axes/Gator-Combo-Axe-II_22-41420

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slick posted:

Hatchet? Odd way to spell 'Hammer' !

I'm partial to my Gerber though, it has a little useless magnetic steak knife saw thingy in the handle. The back side also functions as a hammer.

The 'Gator Combo axe' https://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Axes/Gator-Combo-Axe-II_22-41420

I think that's a rebadged Fiskars. Same one-piece handle/wrap on the head. The Gerber is 2x the price.
https://smile.amazon.com/Fiskars-X7-Hatchet-14-Inch/dp/B0002YTO7E

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
handle looks longer but probably same assembly line

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have an empty garage right now that needs to be fitted properly. Tall cabinets, upper cabinets, lowers, a work bench etc. Any recommendations on buying these? What I’ve seen so far is either super nice heavy duty that I can’t quite afford or cheap garbage that I’m going to hate.

I could build the whole thing from wood in a way that I’d like but I have so many other goals and not enough time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

StormDrain posted:

I have an empty garage right now that needs to be fitted properly. Tall cabinets, upper cabinets, lowers, a work bench etc. Any recommendations on buying these? What I’ve seen so far is either super nice heavy duty that I can’t quite afford or cheap garbage that I’m going to hate.

I could build the whole thing from wood in a way that I’d like but I have so many other goals and not enough time.
Cabinets from someone refitting their kitchen?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Cabinets from someone refitting their kitchen?

That, if you can find something nearby. If not, just get new Ikea kitchen cabinets, which are cheap enough as it is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Buy the cheap garbage now and upgrade piece by piece as your needs change or more likely when it breaks.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ionn posted:

That, if you can find something nearby. If not, just get new Ikea kitchen cabinets, which are cheap enough as it is.

And they have a 25 year warranty which could and should be abused.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

StormDrain posted:

Buy cabinets if you like, but be a real man and make the work bench yourself.
Post pics.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wesleywillis posted:

Buy cabinets if you like, but be a real man and make the work bench yourself.
Post pics.

Agreed. Making your own work bench is a right of passage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd say buy one if you need it right now but I made a good workbench in 4 hours with minimal tools (work surface/ place to pile crap, not dedicated woodworking bench) so yeah, do that instead.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My friend is buying her husband a cordless drill for his bday, what's the current recommended battery system to buy into? I don't think he has any existing cordless tools. Dewalt or Ryobi 18v?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

MomJeans420 posted:

My friend is buying her husband a cordless drill for his bday, what's the current recommended battery system to buy into? I don't think he has any existing cordless tools. Dewalt or Ryobi 18v?

It’s hard to recommend one over the other, and I’m going to make it worse by also suggesting Makita and Milwaukee. I’m in the Makita universe right now and love it, but I’m also a big fan of the Milwaukee Gear I’ve used.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
God drat you guys.

I’m more of a buy once cry once kind of guy, so I’ll just suck it up and buy the nice cabinets.

Then build my own bench. I hated the last one.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just keep an eye on the free section of craigslist, that's how I snagged 20ft of cabinets for the back wall of my garage.

Also spent $100 or something on a big sturdy used workbench by Lista. Came with an overhead flourescent, some drawers and a big rear end vice.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Also, I see cabinets at the habitat for humanity re-store every time I go. They're usually incomplete and/or ugly.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Dewault or Milwakee for impacts on cars.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Or Makita or hell the Ryobi stuff seems to work fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm doing some wainscotting in my foyer and I am looking at the daunting task of cutting about 250' of 1/2" pine corner molding to go inside the squares.

Using a miter saw is making my eyes (and ears) bleed for each minute cut to make it perfect.

Is there another good option other than a miter saw for 45* cuts in soft pine?

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Trim or miter shears? Less noise, more caulk.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Nobex make a couple decent hand powered saws. Probs the proman would do for you.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/nobex-proman-miter-saw.aspx

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Whats a good price for a Milwaukee M12 drill, or where do you look for deals?
I have a ridgid 12v drill that I could hand down, and I want one of the cordless tire inflators.
I already have M18, so I figure I could stay in the milwaukee brand.

Other option is to go with Ryobi to get their inflator, but then I would have another set of big batteries.
I want battery yard tools and mower, but I am debating getting the Stihl ones.

Basically I don't know what I want and everything is too expensive to just go impulse buy. Knowing things are on sale would influence what I did a lot.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
https://slickdeals.net/

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

blindjoe posted:

I have a ridgid 12v drill that I could hand down, and I want one of the cordless tire inflators.

Other option is to go with Ryobi to get their inflator, but then I would have another set of big batteries.

Basically I don't know what I want and everything is too expensive to just go impulse buy. Knowing things are on sale would influence what I did a lot.

If you already have Milwaukee m18 the nice thing about sticking with them is the m18 charger also does m12. It’s a small thing but that’s nice. I certainly have no complaints about my m12 brushless drill/driver combo.

I’m looking to see if the Ryobi line trimmer goes on sale anytime soon. I’d prefer to move into Milwaukee 18v stuff but there aren’t many places in Aussie that carry m18 gardening tools and it’s looking like sticking with red is going to set me back more than twice what I’d pay for the Ryobi.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blindjoe posted:

check here regularly:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm doing some wainscotting in my foyer and I am looking at the daunting task of cutting about 250' of 1/2" pine corner molding to go inside the squares.

Using a miter saw is making my eyes (and ears) bleed for each minute cut to make it perfect.

Eye and ear protection?

I actually just started wearing ear pro religiously and am a lot happier. Especially with the spinny things.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

Eye and ear protection?

I actually just started wearing ear pro religiously and am a lot happier. Especially with the spinny things.

Safety glasses and 3M yellows. Well, 3m yellows most of the time. I've got a huge box of them (and everyone should), but sometimes I think I'm done, take them out, and then do a few more cuts.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm a Makita evangelist, but it seems like Milwaukee has a bit more presence in North America, so if I were there I'd have probably gone for Milwaukee.

But honestly, all of the quality ones are pretty similar and awesome.

Seminal Flu posted:

Safety glasses and 3M yellows. Well, 3m yellows most of the time. I've got a huge box of them (and everyone should), but sometimes I think I'm done, take them out, and then do a few more cuts.

Get a pair of good Peltor ear muffs that you can easily throw on for those short tasks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Seminal Flu posted:

I finally splurged on a nice pair of prescription safety glasses and what have I been doing with my life? These are so much nicer than the cheap poo poo I've been wearing before and I should have done it months ago.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

blindjoe posted:

I've been on a bit of a (milwaukee) binge lately, and have pretty much figured out what I want and just googled the product number.

Something like "milwaukee (product number) price" and then just looked till I found the cheapest price.
I saw one for sale on Amazon (with free shipping), and then looked at the sellers website, and found the same poo poo for about 20 bucks cheaper (paid shipping), but even with shipping it came out a few bucks less than amazon.
I've found a few things even cheaper than Amazon. Keep in mind too, someone mentioned either in this thread, or the tools thread in DIY that Father's day is coming up, so there are probably going to be some sales. If you can wait a month, you might be able to find some cheap poo poo even cheaper.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Buying refurbished direct from Milwaukee was the cheapest option about a month ago when I was considering an M12 impact + hackzall for my service truck.

https://www.cpomilwaukee.com/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

Get a pair of good Peltor ear muffs that you can easily throw on for those short tasks.

That's one of my problems. I keep a box of yellows so I can just grab pairs when I need them. If I take a pair of muffs off, invariably I'll put them down and minutes later be looking for them because I didn't notice where I put them down.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Okay, I need an air compressor, but my situation is kind of weird.

I'm at high altitude - like REALLY high - 9,200ft. The ambient atmospheric pressure is only 10.4psi here.

I really just need it to inflate tires and to run my leakdown tester.

I'd like to be able to run my grinder and cutoff wheel, but these things probably take a shitload of air. I also have an air impact wrench, but that's not totally necessary because I also have a lithium one that I end up using most of the time anyway, even with access to air.

So something small would probably do the job - but will it overheat terribly because of the altitude?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What mountain do you live on top of?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

slothrop posted:

If you already have Milwaukee m18 the nice thing about sticking with them is the m18 charger also does m12. It’s a small thing but that’s nice. I certainly have no complaints about my m12 brushless drill/driver combo.

How does the M12 fit on an M18? it looks like it should be separate dock that the battery slides into, like my ridgid? the M18 slides in, maybe I have an older charger?

E: I think I see now that the new chargers have both slots. Mine is old so it doesn't have the M12 slot.

Ended up getting a cordless trimmer, big battery, charger and blower for $270.
Has nothing to do with an M12, but its cheaper than the stihl by a long shot.
Doesn't get me a lawnmower but oh well.

Now to keep trolling the deals forum for the M12 stuff.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

blindjoe posted:

How does the M12 fit on an M18? it looks like it should be separate dock that the battery slides into, like my ridgid? the M18 slides in, maybe I have an older charger?

Combo chargers. There are still single-format chargers around, but every bundle I’ve bought in the last few years has been dual.