Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Disney are new to 4K and are kind of dicks about licensing in general- you’re probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Disney doesn't rent 4k.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Does Family Video rent 4k discs yet?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I asked Vudu customer service for S&Gs and yeah came back it's the studio's decision to nix the 4k rental option. Garbage. Well, shoutouts to this site that I've still been happily using to rent 4k discs, two a month for like $9 http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/default.asp. I moved away from Family Videos and awww, miss em!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

- Android OS is laggy and the remote kinda sucks

You find it that bad? I set up my brother's 850 and one other as well and it seems fine. Terrarium on there is a breeze. That said the Nvidia Shield should be connected to every serious streamers TV

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

parasyte posted:

The new ones are slightly better in a lot of ways, brightness and color etc. If that's worth $100 then grab the new 55, otherwise (or if $100 puts it out of budget) last years are certainly still good sets.

I'm still waiting on Amazon getting more stock of the 65" from this year, they seem to be in short supply so far. but the new 55" are available.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 2018 TCL 55", any better place to buy it than Amazon? I know with the LG's you can get them on BHPhoto and save some money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Best Buy.

MSRP is $50 cheaper. Was like that for the 2017 model too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

codo27 posted:

the Nvidia Shield should be connected to every serious streamers TV

They are now rolling out the Android 8.0 Oreo update with the new home screen layout:

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/1

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

They are now rolling out the Android 8.0 Oreo update with the new home screen layout:

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/1

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO God I hate this layout.

My Nexus Player has had it for several months. Its buggy as gently caress.. The thumbnails you see to the right of many of the apps simply don't work most of the time.

I really hope it's better on the Shield.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wonder if the Oreo update makes 24p output usable yet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I wonder if the Oreo update makes 24p output usable yet.

I thought the shield was the one Android box with 24p working correctly?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Couldn't ever get it working with acceptable lipsync, especially with Amazon which is off by like half a second.

Right now, Roku is kicking rear end at native framerate stuff, I haven't touched my Shield in months, it's been either TV apps or my Roku streaming stick+.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I see, I just remember it coming up a couple times when I was in the market for a dedicated Kodi device myself tho. Ended up going with a Vero 4K instead of it tho as it was cheaper and seemed more capable when it came to playing stuff directly in Kodi.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amazon fucks up lip sync on the Apple TV too, I think they're just bad as software [see also their genius "multiples of 2" FF/REW controls]

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

None of the other apps have decent lipsync either when forcing 24p output, it's just not as bad as Amazon. Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu all have the issue to a certain extent.

I dunno, I haven't been impressed with my Shield as a streaming solution. It may work great for Kodi or whatever, but I don't do any of that.

I just want native output of streams from apps with the sound matching the video. It doesn't really do that well.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I picked up a cheap TCL 55S405 to replace my old 42-inch 720p set that had absolutely no way to disable overscan. Maybe the fact that I can actually see the entire picture is clouding my judgment, but I'm super impressed. Picture looks great. It handles every video I throw on a USB drive. There are lots of options to fiddle with, and the set displays way more information about programs picked up via antenna. Again, this is probably basic stuff but it's nice to join the party.

One thing I will say is that I was expecting upscaled 1080p content to be crisper. Video looks fine, but when I hook up my PC and change the desktop resolution from 4K (which is perfectly crisp) to 1080p the image is noticeably fuzzy no matter how I configure scaling. I assumed it would look like an image resized via nearest neighbor, slightly chunky with pronounced straight lines rather than soft edges.

That tiny nitpick aside, I'm very happy to own a tv capable of rendering a vivid life-sized Alex Trebek.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Biodome posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 2018 TCL 55", any better place to buy it than Amazon? I know with the LG's you can get them on BHPhoto and save some money.

I ended up getting a 2018 65" from Best Buy. Saw they'd be available for pickup the next day or so while Amazon still didn't have a date for me, so I cancelled and ordered there. The 65" is $30 cheaper (and as mentioned the 55" is $50 cheaper), you just get an IR remote without voice search with the Best Buy version. If you want voice search or RF for no line of sight restrictions, you can get an RF remote and pair it or just use a phone or tablet. So far in my experience the IR remote is just fine.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

codo27 posted:

You find it that bad? I set up my brother's 850 and one other as well and it seems fine. Terrarium on there is a breeze. That said the Nvidia Shield should be connected to every serious streamers TV

Does the Shield support Dolby Vision? I think I'd prefer an Apple TV, although I'm not an Apple hater.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It does not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As with all apple products, you will sacrifice a lot of versatility if you go with that compared to the Shield, while still paying way too much.

A neighbor gave me this old 32" RCA that the backlight died in after he had a power surge. I'm guessing thats a replace-only kind of part, right? I mean the TV is obviously worth bupkis but the gf really wants one for the bedroom and we really dont have the cash to go get a new one right now. The TV turns on and I can ever so faintly see the image if I put light on it so I'm fairly confident thats what the issue is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm honestly not sure if that's the case with Apple TV and I'm no Apple fan.

Apple TV has Dolby Vision. Apple TV has match source dynamic range and match source framerate.

These three pieces of functionality make it a ton more versatile steamer than the shield currently.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple TVs internal software doesn’t have support for DTS and a few other things. Some software rolls out their own decoders, others (Plex) doesn’t and just relies on converting on the fly.

I love my Apple TV and have used them for years and it’s so close to being perfect, but between Apple and Plex’s stubbornness it’s just only 90% for me.

I like it too much to switch out my lounge streamer for anything else tho, and rely on the TV inbuilt apps for 4K and stuff my model doesn’t do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DTS is pretty much a non-issue for a streamer though since no content is using it.

Yes, I get it, some people have ripped and pirated material that they are looking to play and for that purpose the shield is top notch. When it comes to using legit licensed sources though, it comes up short.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

True, I like to mix local and off site content so always want to be covered in every area.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The roku is pretty good now that they have their poo poo with trying to use waaaay too much bandwidth for 4K by default sorted. I wish it supported lossless but basically nothing does seems like.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

More evidence that the Sony Z9D series will get a sequel this year

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/05/24/sony-accidentally-reveals-new-high-end-oled-and-lcd-tvs/

Also A9F OLEDs

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm looking at the 65" LG C8 vs the 65" samsung Q9FN. My two concerns with the C8 are basically the risk of burn-in (ESPN chevron from CFB season / occasional PC gaming streaming / PS4 usage / my wife forgetting to turn off the TV while pausing hulu), and the brightness of the room, but the Q9FN FALD seems to really murder details.

Is the risk of burn-in really reduced like some places are saying with the automatic features to "clean" the screen?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I've had an OLED (B6) for nearly a year and half now and play a shitload of video games with static huds, watch football, and use it for at least a few hours every day and have yet to notice any burn-in.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

pwn posted:

Does Family Video rent 4k discs yet?

My Family Video has some 4k discs, but their numbers are pretty limited. No upcharge on 4k which is nice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you are using the built in apps it will put up a screensaver when paused

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Your concerns about burn in are warranted, at the same time even the C7 is looking like it's more resistant than the C6, so the C8 may even be better.

Also, I don't think anyone here will recommend the Samsung. It's far too pricey for way too little gain for that money. If you want to spend that much on an LCD, go with the Sony Z9D. But you really shouldn't spent that much on an LCD. Sony 900E/F will get you 95% of the way there for half the cost.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Thanks guys.

I'll go with the C8 then.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

homeless posted:

My Family Video has some 4k discs, but their numbers are pretty limited. No upcharge on 4k which is nice.

Thought I would chime in on this.. My cousin owns and operates a independent video store in a smallish town (pop. approx 3200) with no RedBox. DVDs are still the king in rental, at least for him anyways. He can get several copies of any movie on BluRay or DVD, and the DVDs will rent many, many more times over than the BluRay ever will. To this day he generally only gets 4-5 copies of a popular movie on BluRay, whereas he will get 10 or more on DVD.

I asked him about 4k BluRay.. He said he can't remember having ever received a request for 4k BluRay yet.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

One thing I will say is that I was expecting upscaled 1080p content to be crisper. Video looks fine, but when I hook up my PC and change the desktop resolution from 4K (which is perfectly crisp) to 1080p the image is noticeably fuzzy no matter how I configure scaling. I assumed it would look like an image resized via nearest neighbor, slightly chunky with pronounced straight lines rather than soft edges.

For some reason it seems like almost no consumer TVs (at least in the US market) do direct integer upscaling, or whatever you'd call it. I don't know anything about video processing but you'd think that would be the least computationally intense way to do it, with virtually no quality loss from the source material.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally got my zone 2 sorted out, and it’s such a mess of CEC/ARC evil that my wife has resigned to never using it when I’m not home. I’m also sure it’s beyond me after a few beers and god forbid if I ever want both zones working in tandom. Sheesh.

In better news, my budget Walmart TV arrived and it didn’t get smashed to poo poo (unlike a ton of people on Slickdeals) because Walmart literally just had the tv box to fedex and send it halfway across the country.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Still loving my c6 and the passive 3d a year into owning. Impressed the gently caress out of some in laws visiting recently showing them edge of tomorrow

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wow, people still using 3D? Got my first TV with it in early 2011. Like you, showed visitors but that was about it. Tried a Killzone demo on PS3. Couldn't care less about it now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Passive 3d on a 4k OLED is a transformative experience. Many times better than a theater. I would almost rather own a movie in 3d than 4k HDR.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

B7A for $1,099 at BuyDig via Brad's Deals: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/350067

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
65" B7A plus a $300 gift card for $1899.