Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Arrath posted:

Look, look, obviously mistakes were made but lets just let it be water under the bridge.

In a house over troubled bridges
I will lay me down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Nth Doctor posted:

You won't hurt his feelings if you don't, though.

(eagle cry)

(crack of whip)

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

:five:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
https://i.imgur.com/tU511yY.gifv

rear end, Gas, or Glass
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLH-VwEvfsA

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 23, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's so much stupid there :stare:
It was the weight of the guy that skewed the platform left in the first place.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
That is why you secure your load

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Birthplace of Channing Tatum :911:

Acting so bad it's an OSHA violation.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
"Man, those mattresses came apart really easily.

Oh."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is that dude dead?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Is that dude dead?

No, it's safety glass.
I don't think so

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

dead by a thousand cuts

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lurking Haro posted:

No, it's safety glass.
I don't think so

The video says no serious injuries, which is really lucky. Even though the safety glass should prevent deep wounds, that's still gotta be in the nighborhood of 4000 pounds of glass that landed on him. If that other truck hadn't been there I think he'd have been crushed.

I wonder if they unstrapped it and then realized they were in the wrong spot. You can see the truck starts to move, which sets it tipping.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

The video says no serious injuries, which is really lucky. Even though the safety glass should prevent deep wounds, that's still gotta be in the nighborhood of 4000 pounds of glass that landed on him. If that other truck hadn't been there I think he'd have been crushed.

I wonder if they unstrapped it and then realized they were in the wrong spot. You can see the truck starts to move, which sets it tipping.

The weight got me most worried. Good to hear he didn't get pancaked.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
The glass pulverized just before crushing him, weight got redistributed.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ti-i-i-i-immmber!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

is that the left rear tire on the trailer exploding :stare:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Frinkahedron posted:

That's where George W. Bush set the charge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frinkahedron posted:

air bags popping. They're REALLY only designed to be compressed.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
update on my MRI unit the SCSI board on the workstation PC is fried from the power fluctuations. UPS still not an option. Enjoying dumpster diving field service engineer :patriot:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

There's a highway that goes thru the middle of my hometown, and on the outside of one oddly graded curve was a laundromat run by my 1st grade teacher's husband. Every 3-5 years or so, a logging truck would take that corner too quickly and pulverize the laundromat. No one ever got hurt, so it was a running joke that you oughta roll on in to So-And-So's Laundromat.

The intersection there is called Malfunction Junction, not because of the logjams, but because it's a 5 way confluence from hell.

Oh yeah, that's not even getting into the gas station on the corner opposite the laundromat with the propane tank that blew up...twice? Three times? helena_osha.wpd

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

update on my MRI unit the SCSI board on the workstation PC is fried from the power fluctuations. UPS still not an option. Enjoying dumpster diving field service engineer :patriot:

Good news! I'm sure there is a factory wrapped version of that exact 20 year old SCSI board on Ebay for like $1000.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

What a quality place of employment. Do they pay per incident, plus parts?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This thread always made me dream of being an OSHA inspector just to see all the dumb stuff people do. Well for the past few months I've been working as a quality control inspector for fueling at a major airport. A lot of the equipment is very old, so I document many issues that won't be fixed for weeks. I have to pick my battles with what I'm going to tag out of service. If I followed the ATA Spec manual to the letter I'd take half the fleet out of service in a single shift. The fuelers are usually good about not bypassing interlocks. But sometimes I'll catch fuelers with equipment where someone has bypassed the primary sense line so they can fuel faster (at the risk of damaging the plane.) The story is always the same "wasn't me/dunno what that does/was like that when I started."

One inspection I see this surge tank spewing a mist of pressurized jet fuel from a joint. I'm frantically gesturing at the fueler to release the deadman but instead he keeps trying to point to this warning light he noticed. I run over and hit the e-stop. Someone closed a valve that allows fuel in the surge tank to flow to the recovery tank (a valve which should be padlocked to OPEN at all times.) When the recovery tank fills up a safety will stop fuel from flowing to prevent the surge tank from filling, but since the recovery tank wasn't filling at all that safety never engaged. There's a secondary warning when the surge tank is full, but it doesn't stop fueling apparently. So pressure just built up in the surge tank until it started spewing from a joint.

Last week a fueler asked me if I could put some jet fuel in his diesel tank because he was almost out of gas. He was serious. Some fuelers did that with a tanker once, it was belching fire and black smoke out of the exhaust. Jet fuel goes in the airplanes guys. :doh: (To be honest, it would be pretty rad to put some AvGas in a car though.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sanctum posted:

If I followed the ATA Spec manual to the letter I'd take half the fleet out of service in a single shift.

Well if you get a job somewhere else, after you've given notice, if they don't walk you off site, you know what to do.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Sanctum posted:

This thread always made me dream of being an OSHA inspector just to see all the dumb stuff people do. Well for the past few months I've been working as a quality control inspector for fueling at a major airport. A lot of the equipment is very old, so I document many issues that won't be fixed for weeks. I have to pick my battles with what I'm going to tag out of service. If I followed the ATA Spec manual to the letter I'd take half the fleet out of service in a single shift. The fuelers are usually good about not bypassing interlocks. But sometimes I'll catch fuelers with equipment where someone has bypassed the primary sense line so they can fuel faster (at the risk of damaging the plane.) The story is always the same "wasn't me/dunno what that does/was like that when I started."

One inspection I see this surge tank spewing a mist of pressurized jet fuel from a joint. I'm frantically gesturing at the fueler to release the deadman but instead he keeps trying to point to this warning light he noticed. I run over and hit the e-stop. Someone closed a valve that allows fuel in the surge tank to flow to the recovery tank (a valve which should be padlocked to OPEN at all times.) When the recovery tank fills up a safety will stop fuel from flowing to prevent the surge tank from filling, but since the recovery tank wasn't filling at all that safety never engaged. There's a secondary warning when the surge tank is full, but it doesn't stop fueling apparently. So pressure just built up in the surge tank until it started spewing from a joint.

Last week a fueler asked me if I could put some jet fuel in his diesel tank because he was almost out of gas. He was serious. Some fuelers did that with a tanker once, it was belching fire and black smoke out of the exhaust. Jet fuel goes in the airplanes guys. :doh: (To be honest, it would be pretty rad to put some AvGas in a car though.)

Hell yea I loved that episode of Family Guy

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Memento posted:

Well if you get a job somewhere else, after you've given notice, if they don't walk you off site, you know what to do.

The term for that is Malicious Compliance. Do every single thing by the book, regardless of if it's stupid or not.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really feel like aviation fuel is an industry where I want the spec manual to be followed to the letter heck maybe I’m crazy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ethanol posted:

I really feel like aviation fuel is an industry where I want the spec manual to be followed to the letter heck maybe I’m crazy
That's not gonna buy the shareholders their 2nd yacht tho

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The term for that is Malicious Compliance. Do every single thing by the book, regardless of if it's stupid or not.

Is there a term for the guys who wrote the book as well? Because in this scenario those dudes apparently tried to legislate the organization in question straight to death

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

aphid_licker posted:

Is there a term for the guys who wrote the book as well? Because in this scenario those dudes apparently tried to legislate the organization in question straight to death
I uh think the intended implication is that his workplace is horrendously non-compliant, not that the regulations themselves are overly restrictive.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

ethanol posted:

I'd say aviation is the 2nd most heavily regulated industry in the world. If #1 is nuclear energy and #0 is space travel.

My most important function is making sure the fuel is clean on behalf of all airlines, and to that end I will take any piece of equipment out of service if the fuel downstream of the filter vessel is even slightly dirty. An FAA audit lead to all but one guy getting fired because they were listing clean samples without actually taking samples, so that's where I came in. When I started I took one piece of equipment out of service and the mechanics had to open the filter vessel only to eventually find that the upstream and downstream sample lines were crossed. This was new equipment, but still in use for over a year and no one noticed that the samples were consistently dirty.

I've ordered thousands of dollars of parts in a few months. From basic poo poo like wiper blades and bonding clamps all the way to stuff like pressure couplings and tail light assemblies.

Splicer posted:

I uh think the intended implication is that his workplace is horrendously non-compliant, not that the regulations themselves are overly restrictive.
No, it's definitely a thing. See: work-to-rule strikes.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Some stuff from one of my first jobs as a reporter at a small rural weekly paper.

This board was always vertical when I saw it, so no prob.

Our "archives", boards on cardboard boxes (cement blocks were too boujee)

The same week they put industrial carpet down directly over the cement in the writing pool (cubicles in unwindowed basement), something melted the carpet near my desk.

Not osha, but our bathroom "decorations" show the overall facilities budget.

And this was in the bathroom too, so the meter checker could take a dump on the clock.

State of the art computer network.

Super great.

The back "room" of the basement, where the heat never reached (normally ~50 F in the winter)

Was like this the 6 months I worked there, never had the balls to check if it was live.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sanctum posted:

Jet-A is pretty damned close to #1 diesel.

Sometimes you have to defuel an aircraft, and there are restrictions about what you can do with that fuel once you take it out of the plane. You can put it into an empty truck and then back into the same aircraft you took it out of. But you frequently can't put it into another plane, and you definitely can't put it back into the tank farm, because of contamination concerns. Lots of times that fuel needs to just be disposed of. One way to dispose of it is to sell it to a utility company who will burn it in a peaking plant. But you can also burn it in forklifts, generators, etc. And it's not unheard of for guys at the airfield to put it in their POVs.

There are some reasons not to do that, especially with newer diesel vehicles. One, the taxman doesn't like it. Two, it's higher sulfur then what's allowed in road diesels today. Three, since it's intended for turbines there's no cetane rating requirement so you might end up running rough and having fuel-rich exhaust. Four, modern vehicles want #2 diesel which has higher lubricity (but you can work your way around that with some two-stroke oil in the tank). But if we're talking about some old diesel truck from the 80s or something like that putting Jet-A in it isn't exactly *fine*, but the worst problems it's going to cause are regulatory in nature, not mechanical.

There are airplanes with diesel engines, you fuel them up with Jet-A just like the jets at the airfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA42

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Cessna was also offering a 172 with a diesel engine in it, but it looks like they just discontinued it.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/may/09/cessna-discontinues-turbo-skyhawk-jt-a

Military vehicles will also run completely fine on jet fuel, or at least JP-8. It's way easier for logistics if you only have to supply one type of fuel to your bases for your airplanes, ground vehicles, and generators.

xergm fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 24, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
New video from USCSB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWyBMwRt-A

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Phanatic posted:

There are airplanes with diesel engines, you fuel them up with Jet-A just like the jets at the airfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA42

Fuel type: Kerosene and Diesel (EN 590)

?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sandoz posted:

Fuel type: Kerosene and Diesel (EN 590)

?

Jet-A is kerosene.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm pretty sure I've seen this one before.
:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

You know, I remember feeling like Arkema was hiding something but drat that ride it crew did a helluva job preventing a worse problem.