Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
everyone's favorite character, wizel, from the critically acclaimed game, white knight chronicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is it called "new everybody's golf"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Awesome! posted:

is it called "new everybody's golf"

In Japan, yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Battlefield V trailer is...weird. Is it some alt WW2 history steampunk thing I cant even tell?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

That Battlefield V trailer is...weird. Is it some alt WW2 history steampunk thing I cant even tell?
If so, fine with me. Real WW2 is done to death.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

It's pronounced "Battlefield Vee"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I'm not interested in yet another ww2 story at all, so them changing it up is at least a little refreshing. if they want to go for something goofy then by all means. bad company was always the most likable game they've done

e: it was pretty surprising tho and can't say as I have high hopes for it after the last three games have sucked

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 24, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BF4 was great I don't get the hate.

E: well, not at launch. Probably the most broken AAA game ever made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be clear the thing I think is weird about the reveal is that I don't think it's actually supposed to be wacky steampunk WW2 it just looks like it. Just a really weird style all around. Like, WW2 but it doesn't really look anything like a WW2 game.

At least they are getting rid of the archaic, playerbase fragmenting DLC structure. And they claim the Battefront bs won't be there. I'm sure that means EA has something else nefarious up their sleeve to nickel and dime people though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

To be clear the thing I think is weird about the reveal is that I don't think it's actually supposed to be wacky steampunk WW2 it just looks like it. Just a really weird style all around. Like, WW2 but it doesn't really look anything like a WW2 game.

At least they are getting rid of the archaic, playerbase fragmenting DLC structure. And they claim the Battefront bs won't be there. I'm sure that means EA has something else nefarious up their sleeve to nickel and dime people though.
I figured cosmetic stuff + xp boosters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

BF4 was great I don't get the hate.

E: well, not at launch. Probably the most broken AAA game ever made.

I think the only reason anyone remembers it fondly at all is because it was the only half decent mp game at launch, even if it was busted to poo poo

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Dehry posted:

Go to live.playstation.com for a 20% off PSN coupon for watching a trailer for Detroit Become Human valid until May 31st

Of loving course Australia isn't allowed to get the discount code.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the only reason anyone remembers it fondly at all is because it was the only half decent mp game at launch, even if it was busted to poo poo

I thought it was a really great game once they actually fixed it. Maps were good, shooting was good, vehicles were dope, graphics were awesome.

It's definitely tarnished from being totally unplayable for months, and then mostly broken for 5 more months before they actually fixed it. That poo poo was inexcusable but I had a ton of fun with it. Also the progression system was a nightmare.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I disagree with just about everything you said tbh. I loathed the maps and the shooting was never good in spite of all their attempts to fix it. the vehicles were straight downgrades coming from 3 as well. driving the tanks fuckin sucked

it's like when they were designing the maps to 4, they looked at all the problems in 3 and asked themselves: "but what if it was worse?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno, I didn't have the same experience. I mostly look back on BF4 very fondly. It doesn't even come close to Bad company (especially 2) for me but I still really dug it. The only 2 BF games that really rubbed me the wrong way online were hardline and BF1. Hardline was just dumb and lovely, and BF1 it felt impossible to have any fun unless you had a couple of people to play with.

I liked how 4 was so broad in scope that the possibilities felt limitless. It was just a real fun game to dick around in. I could effort play with friends or I could just have a good time doing some gimmicky poo poo or exploring something new if i was playing alone.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 24, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I get you. I'm just saying I think that the lack of options influenced a lot of people's opinions on it for the better

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I want to dip my toes into Yakuza, should I try zero, Kiwami or 6 first.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zero.

It's set before everything.
Kiwami is a remake of the 1st game.

If you want to replay things in chronological order on the PS4 it is
0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 -> 3HD -> 4HD -> 5HD -> 6

Kiwami 2 is being released in August this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGA3XZm1GPk

No word on Western releases of 3+4+5HD yet.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

I just purchased a 4K OLED tv, and now I want to upgrade my base PS4 to Pro. Should I wait until E3 for a possible price drop/model refresh, or should I pull the trigger now, what do you think?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I found Kiwami unplayable when I picked it up after finishing Yakuza 0. Which made me sad.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Kiwami goes a little too far in being a remake in that it holds over a lot of the original game's more archaic design issues despite using 0 mechanics. I don't know how much Kiwami 2 being based on the Yakuza 6 engine helps but I did hear it cut content compared to the original 2.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

Zero.

It's set before everything.
Kiwami is a remake of the 1st game.

Yeah but isn’t that like watching phantom menace before Star Wars

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You're going to miss something either way, because 0 allows you to appreciate Kiwami's character points more, but it also has a lot of callforwards that you'll miss and references stuff in much later games pretty often. However I think what it does for Kiwami is a lot nicer than what doing other things first does for 0. And if nothing else, you can always go back and replay 0 later with the benefit of hindsight and catch all the stuff you missed then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Not really. 0 is actually good. They also do a lot to give depth to the relationships in 1, so everything feels more established if you do the prequel first.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

No.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

No, doing that you get to watch the bad Star Wars before good Star Wars, and it will sour you on the later movies.

If you start with 0 you get hyped for Yakuza and then have a slight downer with Kiwami, which will then be cured by 6 or so I heard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it makes way more sense to play kiwami after 0

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Majima's introduction in 0 was absolutely phenomenal. I'm officially hooked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steve Yun posted:

It's like watching the Phantom Menace but it was actually the best in the franchise and then they rereleased a tweaked version of the original trilogy to be more like it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hopper posted:

No, doing that you get to watch the bad Star Wars before good Star Wars, and it will sour you on the later movies.

If you start with 0 you get hyped for Yakuza and then have a slight downer with Kiwami, which will then be cured by 6 or so I heard.

6 rules. There’s less content than 0 because they had to rebuild everything in the new engine, but what’s there is great. The combat feels a lot better, too, since they replaced damage sponges with tons of dudes instead, so you get to tear through huge crowds of mooks. I took out like eight guys with two swings of a bench last night, it ruled.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Played some more Nier! Just had a mini battle with Adam and Eve and now I am going to investigate a whole forest town thanks to Pascal telling me to!

Tonight and tomorrow I should have a combined amount of nine hours to play, so I am quite excited to do so. Also the music in the place with Adam and Eve was gorgeous and I cannot wait to finish the game so I can just listen to music tracks. (I dare not check the OST in case they are named anything spoilery).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If I want to dip my toes into Yakuza, should I try zero, Kiwami or 6 first.

I was in the same boat as you and understand your plight. Play 0 first.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I still miss 0 Majima...

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

veni veni veni posted:

It's a stylized take of WWII like movies such as Where Eagles Dare. However, all my friends saw the trailers, thought it's some steampunk alternate history game, and hated it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Seems like PS5 is at least 3 years away according to this article:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/sony-next-playstation-is-at-least-three-years-off/

Seems more plausible than the other speculations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sony doesn't have an urgent need to kickstart the next generation anytime soon since a new console is always a financial risk, the XBonx was thoroughly annihilated in market share, and nobody can afford high-end PC hardware right now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/999632869164306432?s=19

Yikes how hard did that game fail? I feel like it just came out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looks like a whacky FF fanservice game but it's actually a pretty hardcore team-based online arena battler so its appeal was somewhat limited.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

It looks like a whacky FF fanservice game but it's actually a pretty hardcore team-based online arena battler so its appeal was somewhat limited.

Is there any decent single player at all? The gameplay looks fun but I don’t want to get it if the online is dead and there’s no way to enjoy it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You have to unlock the story mode from doing other poo poo pretty much one cutscene see a time lol