Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Is it legally required for gyms to play the shittiest EDM possible at times?

I always carry a backup set of earbuds in case my bluetooth ones run out of battery or i forget them at home. Gym music is horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I drowned my bluetooth earbuds in sweat

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Chinatown posted:

I always carry a backup set of earbuds in case my bluetooth ones run out of battery or i forget them at home. Gym music is horrid.

I'm going to have to do something. They have the same loving Maroon 5 on permanent loop it seems. Every day, at 5:15PM, on the loving dot!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vargatron posted:

My gym seems to play:

Some kind of classic rap playlist with biggie and a bunch of other actually good rappers

Some kind of ACDC/Scorpions/"Rock" list that's not classic rock. It used to include that Nickleback sounding song about smoking something last year. It doesn't really play this anymore, but I haven't gone during the old man crew's time in a while.

Random garbage songs from the past 20 years or so? Including some recent ones.

Honestly, I think they just use pandora. It's also really bizarre hearing censored versions of pretty much anything. The amount of words they censor, including relatively benign ones, is quite impressive but also awkward.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I don't know if my gym plays a playlist or some lovely Pandora or something but it's always the same songs at the same time, I don't know how it works. Recently they added a few live Godsmack songs to the mix and I overheard some gymbros talking about getting tickets for their upcoming tour

It has to be marketing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I once asked the meathead trainer in charge of the gym to lower the volume, as I couldn’t even listen to my own earbuds over the loud electronic / reggaeton stuff the kids love

He looked at me as if I’d asked if I could see his mother’s vagina

Lowered it like 10% and I eventually bought noise cancelling earbuds

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
I used to think the wireless earbuds were for DUMMIES but then mine ripped out when I was jogging on the treadmill

I guess there's bluetooth thingy things for android devices I can get? I'm kinda considering it

naem
May 29, 2011

Is there such thing as headphones that stay on your head/in your ear that 1. Sound good 2. Sweat proof 3. Stay on your head/in your ears (said twice because most imp)

I'd prefer an actual headphone thing on top of my head because earbuds fly out of my ears like a cork popping

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Khorne posted:

It's also really bizarre hearing censored versions of pretty much anything. The amount of words they censor, including relatively benign ones, is quite impressive but also awkward.

99% of the stuff that plays at my gym is censored, but earlier this week it was in the intro to an older Rick Ross/Lil Wayne song, and in this gym with like a dozen people in it at 5:15 AM, most of them olds, out comes Ross... "pop that pussy bitch," completely uncensored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98HX5nbsCI

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

indyrenegade posted:

I used to think the wireless earbuds were for DUMMIES but then mine ripped out when I was jogging on the treadmill

I guess there's bluetooth thingy things for android devices I can get? I'm kinda considering it

If you want to waste a hilarious amount of money buy Beats.

Or just buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYX6Y1T/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My last pair lasted 2.5 years.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

indyrenegade posted:

I just watched this really bad crossfit video and what the hap is fuckening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-svgkP7Z4ZM

How to do kipping pull ups.
And an excuse to post Konstantinovs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLl8rGhJvE

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
My gym doesn't play any music at all. Which is on one hand really good as there is no lovely music that I need to hear when I forget to charge my headphones. But this makes every loving grunt and wheeze so much louder from everyone. It sounds like a very bad (mostly gay) orgy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I really need to get some backup wired headphones for when my Bluetooth ones run out they always seem to go right at the beginning of a work out, they do this annoying thing where a beep occurs in every few minutes to remind you they need charging.

Only problem is I can't wear bud's as I have cauliflower ear.

My gym is a cheap nasty 24 hour gym and play's the worst kind of royalty free dance music, plus because it's cheap it attracts idiots who like to squeal loudly as they lift.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I use Bose’s Soundsport wireless earphones and they’re pretty great

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

KinkyJohn posted:

I use Bose’s Soundsport wireless earphones and they’re pretty great

Seconded, and they don't short out when you drown them in sweat like the cheap amazon ones.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Plantronics back beats are pretty good, but if you have a large neck the cord is a little short.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Vargatron posted:

TARANTULAAAHHH

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Metanaut posted:

TARANTULAAAHHH

No it's that one that goes WOAAAH OOOAAAH OOOO IIIII AIIIIIAIIIIIAIIIIIII.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

if i have a real bad gym day usually it's a sign i'm gonna be ill the next day. how do my muscles know im ill before i do.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Vargatron posted:

No it's that one that goes WOAAAH OOOAAAH OOOO IIIII AIIIIIAIIIIIAIIIIIII.

WE'RW THE FREAKING ANIMALS!!!!

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
my arms and back muscles feel poopy

is this progress

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
idk how long you been doing rows

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Thanks to the dumbshit graveyard lifting crew at my 24 hour gym they've banned chalk use after one too many giant piles of chalk dust everywhere. It's like, hey let's punish everyone on this one because our one night shift guy can't get up from the desk and figure out which of our members is consistently dumping their poo poo everywhere at regular intervals during the week before 4:30 in the morning

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

ElectricSheep posted:

Thanks to the dumbshit graveyard lifting crew at my 24 hour gym they've banned chalk use after one too many giant piles of chalk dust everywhere. It's like, hey let's punish everyone on this one because our one night shift guy can't get up from the desk and figure out which of our members is consistently dumping their poo poo everywhere at regular intervals during the week before 4:30 in the morning

that is dumb as heck but have you tried liquid chalk

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ElectricSheep posted:

I'd just use it anyway. My gym finally caved and put their own chalk there and it has resulted in far less of a mess because there's an actual chalk bowl instead of people trying to chalk up in bags they've brought.

I lift at a chain gym but somehow have a great branch. I went to one while traveling that claimed "Squat racks" and "power racks" and it had 1 rack with a bench bolted to the floor in a way that I couldn't even bench because it was so far back. I squatted anyway by walking the bar out into the middle of the gym. Walking out with a bench between your legs is kinda awkward.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 25, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Whoops I assumed that rack was the power rack you listed on the website. I dumped 400 pounds on the bench looking safety catches but it broke.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My gym has really good facilities but they don't have a DL jack or chalk. I mean I understand why they wouldn't have chalk for cleanliness concerns.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just awkwardly waddle over the bar and hump the weights on to it from the floor. Looks super graceful.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

baw posted:

that is dumb as heck but have you tried liquid chalk

yeaaah liquid chalk is cool, it's also cleaner until your bottle breaks and you spill it all over the floor

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

Whoops I assumed that rack was the power rack you listed on the website. I dumped 400 pounds on the bench looking safety catches but it broke.
It actually was a full power rack, which is the most annoying part. But the bench was bolted down in such a way that my rear end would be hanging off of the bottom.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Dude at my gym put the pins way down low on the outside of the rack and lay on the floor doing bench presses while holding his legs in air. Is this the new ab workout? It looked silly but he is way bigger than me so somethings working.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
They're floor presses. Feet up is debatable but Kevin Oak does it so I guess it works if you want to break world records.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ElectricSheep posted:

They did this to me at a goodlife fitness, I was deadlifting using chalk (a very minimal amount) like I had been doing for the last year, one of the employees tells me MID LIFT (the bar was at my nuts) that it's a gym rule and chalk is not permitted.
That was the only time in my life I've ever dropped a deadlift on purpose. The nice people at the front desk suggested straps or gloves as an appropriate replacement.
I quit that day and never went back.

Strangely at the SERIOUS POWERLIFTING GYM I'm at now there's significantly more chalk use but less chalk mess.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Was it a heavy set or a warm up? Either way lol at bothering someone mid-loving-lift to “umm, actually” about the chalk policy

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*throws chalk into the air*

Woooooooo!!!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lol at going to a gym that complains about some dust or whatever

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Found out today my trainer had British dl record for he weight at 320kg. Nice

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bape Culture posted:

poo poo, that’s my warmup son

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bape Culture posted:

How much did he lift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

How much did he lift?
It's hard to dl at 320kg so don't expect too much.