Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

TheBigAristotle posted:

Can someone give me a quick explainer on what the difference between Rogue Trader and Necromunda is? By that I mean why would GW have two skirmish-based games in the same timeline?

At least Shadespire is fantasy to Necro's grimdark future

Noone knows yet.

My assumption is that Rogue Trader will be a boardgame akin to Silver Tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Confirming Eschers as Catachan.

I don't recognize them when they're not on the ground/on fire???
for real tho your catachans/eschers/hams in general are dope as hell and I love them all

Painted up some hams.
Marshall Dietrich Donnerschlag:

Tartaros Terminators:

TheBigAristotle posted:

Can someone give me a quick explainer on what the difference between Rogue Trader and Necromunda is? By that I mean why would GW have two skirmish-based games in the same timeline?

Rules-wise, nobody knows. Setting-wise, Rogue Trader ostensibly is about a Rogue Trader/their crew vs. Chaos baddies in space, and Necromunda is drugged up gangers who've never seen the sun murdering each other in the underhive.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Serotonin posted:

Noone knows yet.

My assumption is that Rogue Trader will be a boardgame akin to Silver Tower

I suspect it'll tie into Kill Team as well

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

No red headbands. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd love Rogue Trader to be a 40k equivalent to Silver Tower, but I think the trader's side might have a few too many models for that. It'd also be a cool Kill Team tie-in, but no one knows anything right now. For all we know, it could be a revamped Deathwatch Overkill. That actually wasn't a bad game, but I think I'm one of the few that actually played the drat thing instead of just buying it for the models.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Shadespire is very much a board game. It's got set warbands and a major deck building element to it and it's played on a hexboard. It's a good game, but about the only thing it has in common with Necromunda is that it has alternating activations. :v:

Now, Mordheim on the other hand... :swoon:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Rules-wise, nobody knows. Setting-wise, Rogue Trader ostensibly is about a Rogue Trader/their crew vs. Chaos baddies in space, and Necromunda is drugged up gangers who've never seen the sun murdering each other in the underhive.

Sounds like Rogue Trader might be my jam then.

Drugged up and never seen the sun is too much like posting in these forums, so I'm good on that.

Also never really dug on the aesthetic. Too cyber-grunge for me. I know it's probably real humid in the underhive, so you gotta have the guns out even when the sun's blotted out, but I like a nice bit of space armor or futuristic sleek outfits.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Dope mans

These are all looking great, how'd you arrive at that name for the marshal?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

These are all looking great, how'd you arrive at that name for the marshal?

Thanks! It’s one of the names Mordheim: City of the Damned generated for my warband’s champion and I liked it a lot.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SRM posted:

for real tho your catachans/eschers/hams in general are dope as hell and I love them all

Painted up some hams.
Marshall Dietrich Donnerschlag:

Tartaros Terminators:

What are you doing for the black armor? I love the depth it has and despite having painted a bunch of Justaerin and Reavers I’ve never had a process for black that I thought was very good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheBigAristotle posted:

Sounds like Rogue Trader might be my jam then.

Drugged up and never seen the sun is too much like posting in these forums, so I'm good on that.

Also never really dug on the aesthetic. Too cyber-grunge for me. I know it's probably real humid in the underhive, so you gotta have the guns out even when the sun's blotted out, but I like a nice bit of space armor or futuristic sleek outfits.

What you're saying is you want to play Van Saar

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

What you're saying is you want to play Van Saar

After listening to the latest Badcast, that seems like a dick move, also if they're all about the shooting from distance, I do enough of that with my Fists.

For now I'm gonna stick with getting my DW painted. Did the edge highlighting on my Corvus last night and I'm pretty pleased. Gotta fix a couple mistakes then it's onto the silver and gold.

Debating on a red stripe.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

panascope posted:

What are you doing for the black armor? I love the depth it has and despite having painted a bunch of Justaerin and Reavers I’ve never had a process for black that I thought was very good.

P3 Thamar Black, Dark Reaper highlight, then Fenrisian Grey on the very edges. The highlights give it a little bit of blue which I think is where that depth comes from, and it makes the warm colors stand out that much more.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Red stripes on Deathwatch vehicles look flash as hell, do it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Do it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hey so is it still ok to use Drukhari and Craftworlds in the same army? I was reading something that alluded to an FAQ or rules change which messed with one's ability to do so, but I don't understand the battle-forged rules well enough yet to figure it out on my own.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mikey Purp posted:

Hey so is it still ok to use Drukhari and Craftworlds in the same army? I was reading something that alluded to an FAQ or rules change which messed with one's ability to do so, but I don't understand the battle-forged rules well enough yet to figure it out on my own.

Within the same army is fine, within the same detachment is what they put the kibosh on.

So its fine to have asuryani and drukhari detachments together, but you cant have both sets of units in a single aeldari detachment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

Hooray beer.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Looking at the van saar stuff, they really make my orlocks look like dogshit. Better BS and better gear without actually being that much more expensive.

My orlock gang is 1 leader, 2 champs, and 4 gangers. My buddy with van saar has his whole gang with the 4+ save armor and great guns and he's got 1 leader, 1 champ, 4 gangers. His gangers are as good at shooting as my champs.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 24, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Looking at the van saar stuff, they really make my orlocks look like dogshit. Better BS and better gear without actually being that much more expensive.

Its to offset the indelible mark on your soul for playing as them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lol nice

SRM posted:

Red stripes on Deathwatch vehicles look flash as hell, do it.

I'm gonna have to do a bit of scoping, I see all varieties, half-inch, inch, white in the middle, so many options.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat, if I had more confidence in my painting I'd steal this idea

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

drat, if I had more confidence in my painting I'd steal this idea

You can do that. In fact you can probably do that better than they did. Get some of the Tamiya masking tape and use it to define some nice, clean edges and then go crazy.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

I'm saving the Badcast listen for a long drive to a work site this weekend, but I hope you detail at least a fraction of the pain you delivered unto my poor gang.

RIP to my gang leader set on fire and stomped to death.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

My orlock gang is 1 leader, 2 champs, and 4 gangers. My buddy with van saar has his whole gang with the 4+ save armor and great guns and he's got 1 leader, 1 champ, 4 gangers. His gangers are as good at shooting as my champs.
You need more guys if you're running Orlocks. 8 is probably the bare minimum though if you can manage 9-10, do it. It's really tempting to take two heavy weapons at the start, but you can change your champions' gear later on. Pick one and give the other champion something like a bolter or combat shotgun. Van Saar are really strong, but they're also pricier than even Goliaths. They probably should've been T2 if they were going to make their ballistic skill this ridiculous. At least the gangers and juves. Limiting them to one toughness increase instead of two isn't much of a downside. Yeah, they'll fold in melee, but getting there is the issue.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

chutche2 posted:

Are you only playing one-off games? Because starting with 6 people is going to mean his gang is going to be screwed within a few campaign games.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Newest badcast really giving me the urge to buy some big beefy boys and...do nothing else past that point because there's not really a scene around here.

Question for folks who've played in campaigns - does the necromunda community just magnetize everything or make bespoke models for every potential ganger they might recruit?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Definitely do the red stripe, it's what makes Deathwatch vehicles:

It's really easy too, Duncan has a good method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PqPVfUmW8
Stripes are at about 7:20

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Deified Data posted:

Newest badcast really giving me the urge to buy some big beefy boys and...do nothing else past that point because there's not really a scene around here.

Question for folks who've played in campaigns - does the necromunda community just magnetize everything or make bespoke models for every potential ganger they might recruit?

So make a scene! If you have 40k players around you, convincing them to try Necro probably won't be too hard.

As for campaigns - the new rules have it so your dudes don't let go of their weapons, so generally having a bespoke model for each dude is the way to go. In the case of the Necroslam weekend, it meant most of us started with 7 or 8 models and had more already built and painted, but would save up credits between games to buy the other minis we'd built. By the end of it I'd bought the other 2 models I had built and painted and used them in my last two games. Most weapons are viable so it's not quite the gear treadmill that old Necromunda was, and your dude with a stub cannon or whatever will still be useful later on.

BuffaloChicken posted:

I'm saving the Badcast listen for a long drive to a work site this weekend, but I hope you detail at least a fraction of the pain you delivered unto my poor gang.

RIP to my gang leader set on fire and stomped to death.

We detailed our games pretty thoroughly! The best part is my juve that parkoured over a hole before stomping her. I felt kinda bad about that.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Running through some chaos kits a friend left over for skull bits to put on Kutlakh the World Killer I'm building, and uh, there's definitely a child skull between two horns on a CSM helmet.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

So make a scene! If you have 40k players around you, convincing them to try Necro probably won't be too hard.

As for campaigns - the new rules have it so your dudes don't let go of their weapons, so generally having a bespoke model for each dude is the way to go. In the case of the Necroslam weekend, it meant most of us started with 7 or 8 models and had more already built and painted, but would save up credits between games to buy the other minis we'd built. By the end of it I'd bought the other 2 models I had built and painted and used them in my last two games. Most weapons are viable so it's not quite the gear treadmill that old Necromunda was, and your dude with a stub cannon or whatever will still be useful later on.

We detailed our games pretty thoroughly! The best part is my juve that parkoured over a hole before stomping her. I felt kinda bad about that.

Ive got a box of goliaths for kataphron conversion purposes but since that means ive got 7 left over im probably gonna use poly cement to muddy the definition of their muscles and give them skitarii vanguard heads and rubberised suits to make The Process Men, the guys who handle the various toxic chemicals involved in industrial metalworking.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

Ive got a box of goliaths for kataphron conversion purposes but since that means ive got 7 left over im probably gonna use poly cement to muddy the definition of their muscles and give them skitarii vanguard heads and rubberised suits to make The Process Men, the guys who handle the various toxic chemicals involved in industrial metalworking.

That's extremely loving cool. Post pictures of those weirdos once you do it, that's Inquisimunda as hell.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

You need more guys if you're running Orlocks. 8 is probably the bare minimum though if you can manage 9-10, do it. It's really tempting to take two heavy weapons at the start, but you can change your champions' gear later on. Pick one and give the other champion something like a bolter or combat shotgun. Van Saar are really strong, but they're also pricier than even Goliaths. They probably should've been T2 if they were going to make their ballistic skill this ridiculous. At least the gangers and juves. Limiting them to one toughness increase instead of two isn't much of a downside. Yeah, they'll fold in melee, but getting there is the issue.

Yeah my gang is 3 autogun dudes, a shotgun, 2 heavy weapon champs (1 stubber and 1 harpoon) and the leader with a combat shotty, claw, and strip kit. Downgrading the harpoon to a combat shotgun and dropping the strip kit would let me get a 5th ganger with 20 credits of weapons, so another autogun or two autopistols. Or I can keep the strip kit and get a juve with 2 autopistols.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 24, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Definitely do the red stripe, it's what makes Deathwatch vehicles:

It's really easy too, Duncan has a good method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PqPVfUmW8
Stripes are at about 7:20

Yeah I've been using that video for tips. I like the idea of masking tape bc I don't really trust my own brush skills to make a clean, straight line for that distance.

Stripes it is

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah I've been using that video for tips. I like the idea of masking tape bc I don't really trust my own brush skills to make a clean, straight line for that distance.

Stripes it is

make sure you get hobby masking tape, tamiya is a good brand. otherwise its likely the paint will seep under

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Would blue painters tape work? I only ask because I already have some of that

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Blue tape works, you just gotta make sure the undercoat has had a solid time to dry. You could also reduce a little bit of tack by putting the tape on your shirt first a few times.

If you're not airbrushing you'll have minimal seepage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TheBigAristotle posted:

Would blue painters tape work? I only ask because I already have some of that

yeah, like MSP said. Just make sure the paint under is dry. I used blue painter's tape to do the lines on my Deathwatch

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The undercoat has been done for a few days now, did the edge highlights in grey last night. Gonna do the gold and silver soon then reds last, probably

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Use tape, apply base color at tape edge, then apply your stripe color.

This will ensure that any seepage is in the base color, not the stripe color.

Airbrushes can skip that step because the paint dries so fast.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Relics question:

I have an army list with three detachments: a Blood Angels Battalion, a Blood Angels Vanguard, and an Astra Militarum Battalion. The warlord is a Captain in the BA Vanguard. I choose a Relic for him off the BA list.

Before the battle begins, can I use the AM stratagem Imperial Commander's Armoury to buy a pick on the Militarum relics list for the AM Battalion, despite the Warlord being BA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

zeal posted:

Relics question:

I have an army list with three detachments: a Blood Angels Battalion, a Blood Angels Vanguard, and an Astra Militarum Battalion. The warlord is a Captain in the BA Vanguard. I choose a Relic for him off the BA list.

Before the battle begins, can I use the AM stratagem Imperial Commander's Armoury to buy a pick on the Militarum relics list for the AM Battalion, despite the Warlord being BA?

Yes