Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rannum posted:

gastly, as a ghost type, can ignore any of the sonicboom shenanigans but probably more pressing is if you removed the terrain, you can use Gastly to ignore Self Destruct/Explosion.

There's a point much much later, where I have to battle a level 65 thing to get a ghost, that was Ghastly once. And now that's gone, it's a different ghost in E17.

It's not that it's gone before the first gym, it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's a point much much later, where I have to battle a level 65 thing to get a ghost, that was Ghastly once. And now that's gone, it's a different ghost in E17.

It's not that it's gone before the first gym, it's gone.

Well, now that they've added 6th and 7th gen mechanics and pokemon, obviously the player can never have Gastly because Mega Gengar is an overpowered superhero for baby pokemon players and they only want mature players only ever who know how to play the game. :saddowns::arghfist:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KataraniSword posted:

Well, now that they've added 6th and 7th gen mechanics and pokemon, obviously the player can never have Gastly because Mega Gengar is an overpowered superhero for baby pokemon players and they only want mature players only ever who know how to play the game. :saddowns::arghfist:

And obviously they couldn't do something as simple as not putting Gengarite or Mega Evolutions in the game.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

And obviously they couldn't do something as simple as not putting Gengarite or Mega Evolutions in the game.

Uh, the whole point is to make you face real difficulty by creating challenging opponents when you have all the tools that Game Freak has made in any pokemon games at your disposal. Not putting in an item wrecks the whole premise.

geeeez

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm amazed Moody Bidoof was available if they were taking away tools from the player. I'm pretty sure a single Moody Bidoof can carry OFS to the game's completion.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I was gonna go check the forum to see if anyone was watching the thread and complained about Bidoof there, and I'm greeted with the banner at the top featuring art of someone being stabbed through the torso by Aegislash. Fuckin lmao

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I think the last Pokemon game I played was for the original GameBoy and I haven't played Shin Megami Tensei at all. It's not even about playing this game the correct way. The devs came up with one way to solve a tactical problem that they think is the smartest and best and patch out other solutions. I'm not exactly sure what happened in that gym fight but I think you reprogrammed the Kobayashi Maru. There's going to be more rules-subverting in upcoming boss battles, I just know it.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 23, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Schubalts posted:

I have a feeling this was a component.

Normally I'd agree but not when the pokemon using it can probably be 2-shot by a plusle.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

Hi folks, it's your good friend Onmi here with a little public service announcement.

Arceus and the whole Pokemon Pantheon stuff is very close to Shintoism more than anything, if you're going to be a loving moron and write it into your stupid story, please try to portray it correctly. It's especially dumb when you consider that only like... two people in DPP actually knew who Arceus was and none by name, just "The Original One"
Hey, I'm not the only one who's irrationally annoyed by that! :hfive:

(See also: Giratina being Satan because of some incredibly tortured reasoning that doesn't even match what the game's saying)

Bible Ian Black posted:

I was gonna go check the forum to see if anyone was watching the thread and complained about Bidoof there, and I'm greeted with the banner at the top featuring art of someone being stabbed through the torso by Aegislash. Fuckin lmao
See, that's how you know it's a Mature Forum For Mature People Playing a Mature Fangame, not like those babies who complain about a little terrorism happening while a womanchild makes BOOM BOOM! quips. :rolleyes:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Hey, I'm not the only one who's irrationally annoyed by that! :hfive:

(See also: Giratina being Satan because of some incredibly tortured reasoning that doesn't even match what the game's saying)

It's also annoying because, like, Arceus is a very *Sinnoh* thing (perhaps......Sinntohism?????), with a little bit of Johto thanks to ol johto/sinnoh get togethers. It's not like, even in a would-be scenario where everyone in Sinnoh actually worships it, anyone in pokemon america is worshiping it.

I guess we should just be glad pokemon romhacking only got going in relatively recent times so we didn't have to deal with a million "oh my ho-oh" back when ho-oh was the go-to pokegod of choice and the inevitable fangames about ho-oh vs arceus when gen 4 came out

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

rannum posted:

It's also annoying because, like, Arceus is a very *Sinnoh* thing (perhaps......Sinntohism?????), with a little bit of Johto thanks to ol johto/sinnoh get togethers. It's not like, even in a would-be scenario where everyone in Sinnoh actually worships it, anyone in pokemon america is worshiping it.

I guess we should just be glad pokemon romhacking only got going in relatively recent times so we didn't have to deal with a million "oh my ho-oh" back when ho-oh was the go-to pokegod of choice and the inevitable fangames about ho-oh vs arceus when gen 4 came out

My biggest example of this is Pokemon Glazed. My goodness I have never seen a project go off a cliff that hard before. The entire first arc, as in the first 8 badges, Evil Team, League, are all fine. Nothing amazing, but it's okay. I even liked the Evil Team, which was essentially Evil Silph Co. Their plan? Capture Mew to make unlimited TM's, since Mew knows every move, they can make every move. That's almost reasonable for an evil plan. Your rival is a Pikachu with a red scarf who hates you for... some reason to be honest it's a little unclear, he mentions you kicking him out of his home, but it's not clear... how you did that? But it's kinda neat that your rival is a Pokemon.

The moment you go to Region 2, Johto, everything goes to hell. They introduce a new evil team that worships Arceus run by a guy named Pious (Not joking here) who kidnaps Whitney (Part of the E4 now, her new OC boyfriend has taken her spot in the gym) and is all "Evil religion." And it's dumb and bad, and then he gets a crush on the former wife of the previous team leader who's super evil and burns down Ilex Forest for... reasons?

Then you go to a third region and they decide to do the plot of the second Pokemon Movie? Capturing the Legendary birds, but doing that throws nature out of whack for reasons? Which makes no sense because you can capture them after and nothing bad happens? Also there's an island with a giant church telling people to reject Giratinaism, which is double stupid because you can HAVE GIRATINA by this point and bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Off the loving cliff down in the centre of the earth. More is not better.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh right Glazed.
I never got that far because I got sick of grinding that stupid tower gauntlet to get strong enough to fight the (2nd?) gym leader.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh right Glazed.
I never got that far because I got sick of grinding that stupid tower gauntlet to get strong enough to fight the (2nd?) gym leader.

Yeah I was playing the Blazed Glazed release which had a fixed difficulty curve, but did nothing to fix the dumb story.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Really when it comes to Pokemon, the dumber the story the better to me.
Because they're all dumb. Might as well lean into it.
(Less so SuMo, but still)

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

There's a point much much later, where I have to battle a level 65 thing

Wait, isn't Pokemon Reborn incomplete?Could've sworn someone said the eighth gym wasn't even implemented yet. What is the level curve in this game :stare:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

limeicebreakers posted:

Wait, isn't Pokemon Reborn incomplete?Could've sworn someone said the eighth gym wasn't even implemented yet. What is the level curve in this game :stare:

Reborn has 18 gyms, I believe it's up to Gym 15

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

ChrisBTY posted:

Really when it comes to Pokemon, the dumber the story the better to me.
Because they're all dumb. Might as well lean into it.
(Less so SuMo, but still)

I'd say goofy, not dumb. The games can be very earnest and actually touch upon some decent emotional stuff once in a while, it's just that they're also still very cartoony and have super powered animals. Making a Pokemon story that's the right kind of earnest and goofy requires some understanding of what makes those stories fun and charming, which these fangames seem to really not get. Doing some stuff differently from the originals, sure, but terrorism and Arceus cults are a kind of dumb that definitely misses the point for me.

It's fun to giggle at, sure, but that's about it. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazed is just aggravating dumb. the moment I knew I was simply hate-playing my way to the end was when I was raiding the religious nutjobs hideout to rescue a prisoner, moved towards the leaders office, which wasn't locked, had a grunt scream at me "No one is allowed in Pious' office!" And then... nothing. A battle didn't start, he didn't run inside and lock the door. My character just decided "Well, he said I can't enter, guess I can't that'd be rude."

I am raiding their base! I don't care what the rules are, at least lock the door!

Oh and in righteous cock-punching dick moves, one of the Gyms in the Third Region is tied to the Pokemon Center, when you go to heal, it drops you in an underground path instead, and forces you through a gauntlet with a powerful fight at the end. When you win, the trainer goes "Pfft, I went easy on you, if my Kyogre was here, I'd crush you nerd. You can go fight the gym now, By the by, she's my girlfriend, poo poo's so cash."

I was just... The guy was such a god damned geek, It was clearly someone's edgy self-insert. I was just... I decided everyone in this region, who WERE in this region, were total assholes, there was one non-rear end in a top hat and he was the fighting gym leader, in contrast to every dickhead he was luck "Sup, wanna fight, S'cool, hey good fight."

EDIT: He wasn't even one of your rivals, of whom there are like... 5 or 6? He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 24, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

limeicebreakers posted:

The last available boss of E17 is level 91. There's still the seventeenth and eighteenth gyms and the big dumb ending to go.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The last available boss of E17 is level 91. There's still the seventeenth and eighteenth gyms and the big dumb ending to go.

Let me repeat limeicebreakers' question: what IS the level curve in this game? If by the 16th gym it's hit level 91, how high does it go? It still lacks at least seven important trainers, likely more if there's plot to go through, what, does it end at level 200 or something?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let me repeat limeicebreakers' question: what IS the level curve in this game? If by the 16th gym it's hit level 91, how high does it go? It still lacks at least seven important trainers, likely more if there's plot to go through, what, does it end at level 200 or something?

No it ends at level 100. But remember, hard level caps. So it doesn't have a Level Curve. It has a Level Gate. Reborn is a corridor, and there are an amount of doors in the corridor, so you have to sprint to the door and start opening it, and opening it can take hours, and once you open it, sprint to the next door etc.

Which, thank you for triggering another rant.

Do you know why games have a level curve to begin with? Why RPGs don't typically have hard caps and level-downs? It's because no one likes the feeling that they aren't making progress So lets look at the current game, we have level 1-20 to get to with our Pokemon, and then after the first gym, we have another 5. So the moment we hit that cap, every fight is a waste of time. If anything it's MORE negative, now this is partially what the reborn idiots meant by "Playing the game the way it's meant to be played." By having so many weak trainers so that your level slowly rises. But again no one likes to feel as though their time is wasted. And that's what Reborn does. Let's look at the humble Gym Trainer. Why do most players go out of their way to fight Gym Trainers? Because they typically have elevated pokemon to give EXP to help level your guys as good preparation for the gym battle.

Now imagine the game where you're level 20, And if you level up, you have to automatically level down or lose your pokemon until you beat the gym Now every fight is some cash and nothing else? And if the idea was "Oh, you're gaining EVs" Bite me, gaining EV's is not in fact, progression. At this point Reborn would be better not having Experience and instead auto-levelling your pokemon to the caps of each badge. Because there's no point to not being at the cap,

In comparison, a well designed game, like say... a Pokemon game, you are constantly levelling, improving, learning new attacks and gaining more tools in your arsenal which is deliberately limited and simplified to provide you the element of choice without overwhelming you with a ridiculous fucktonne of minutia to pay attention to.

Oh and someone asked "If you break the level-cap mid battle, do your Pokemon stop listening to you?" Yes indeed they do

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 24, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Onmi posted:

Reborn has 18 gyms, I believe it's up to Gym 15

Maybe they could finish it if they stopped micromanaging every step of what they've already made.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Leal posted:

Maybe they could finish it if they stopped micromanaging every step of what they've already made.

I think not making it loving 18 gyms long, with an elite 4, would be a better start.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a drat good reason why for the most part the main games stuck to eight gyms/trials even with expanding types,.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even with 8, they have serious pacing issues between 'em sometimes. Both with them being spaced too far apart and not being any time at all between.

I'm surprised though that they showed enough restraint to not go with 19 gyms. 1 for each type and the last one being no specific type speciality and more of a "they're just good and use variety, gently caress you" but that'd probably undercut their perfect super Champion or whatever

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
And even when Gold/Silver went with 16, there was a very explicit midpoint: beating the Elite 4 and Lance. Everything after that is optional, and you don't have an insane hard level cap that actively discourages exploration and training. Yes, Red is a pretty big difficulty spike in especially if you're facing him for the first time, but you had to specifically go and search him out while passing through one of the best places in the game for level training. It's not really even comparable to Reborn because of how much better Gen 2 deals with having more than 8 gyms.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, it's almost like the hard level cap wouldn't be needed if they didn't decide to make the game as long as it is. Even Uranium stuck to the 8 gym format.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FPzero posted:

Yeah, it's almost like the hard level cap wouldn't be needed if they didn't decide to make the game as long as it is. Even Uranium stuck to the 8 gym format.

I almost wonder what would happen if you snapped off the stupid level caps in Reborn. Would it actually be funnish to play?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

I almost wonder what would happen if you snapped off the stupid level caps in Reborn. Would it actually be funnish to play?

There's a way to find out. I'd want OFS's approval before posting anything though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

I think not making it loving 18 gyms long, with an elite 4, would be a better start.

Robindaybird posted:

There's a drat good reason why for the most part the main games stuck to eight gyms/trials even with expanding types,.
Tell that to all the people who want a game with all the regions and think it would be the best thing ever instead of an overly long slog.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fangame to that effect already, but I suppose putting 7 regions into your fangame is way more effort than just putting out one half-assed new region and filling it with grimdark.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Tell that to all the people who want a game with all the regions and think it would be the best thing ever instead of an overly long slog.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a fangame to that effect already, but I suppose putting 7 regions into your fangame is way more effort than just putting out one half-assed new region and filling it with grimdark.

Having mucked about with Pokemon Essentials quite a bit, I can say that putting 7 regions in would not be especially difficult for a team to physically do, but the act of doing it would burn them out pretty quickly once you got to the fourth region. The maps already exist for at least up to Unova, but placing all of the events and trainers is a mind numbing task.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RyuHimora posted:

And even when Gold/Silver went with 16, there was a very explicit midpoint: beating the Elite 4 and Lance. Everything after that is optional, and you don't have an insane hard level cap that actively discourages exploration and training. Yes, Red is a pretty big difficulty spike in especially if you're facing him for the first time, but you had to specifically go and search him out while passing through one of the best places in the game for level training. It's not really even comparable to Reborn because of how much better Gen 2 deals with having more than 8 gyms.

OK not to put down your point too much but while Mt. Silver is the best place to wild grind in gen 2 it caps out at level 50 (with not that high exp yield) while Red's lowest leveled pokemon is 73.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You don't need to grind to beat Red, so long as you've beaten most of the trainers in the game. Like, it's Gen 2, the game is super easy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Thanks for the lore in the middle of this intense crisis situation re. Reborn's economic decline.

Thanks for this garbage.

The Devon building serves no purpose. Yet. It's there so it has to.

This lady's boyfriend is loving DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

does this count as a confirmed death?

I wish I was a confirmed death.

Let's arbitrarily talk TV: I never actually watched TVs at this point, it was later that I learned the programs updated each gym badge. But in the interest of exposing every loving godawful piece of poo poo interesting conversation, and because I have a text dump (part of pokemon essential's programming is dumping and compiling text) I can bring you the second edition of Interview Intermission.

"Hello! Gossip Gardevoir here in Interview Intermission, bringing YOU the inside scoop on Reborn's celebrity figures! Today, we've got a special report with Samson, the Agate Circus Strongman! Mr. Samson, would you like to tell us a bit about yourself?"
"No thanks."
"Ohh, come on, just one teensy weensy fact, please?"
"Nah."
"I said please! Honestly, how much longer are you going to hold up the show?!"
"Nothing personal. I just save that sort of stuff for the ladies. No offense to you. Not really into the whole Poke-beastiality thing."
"...Incidentally, Samson is the reserve Fighting Leader for the Reborn League! That means when the current leader retires, he takes her place! It also means that if I were to throw a PSYCHIC attack in his FACE it would be SUPER EFFECTIVE. And, dear Samson, that's exactly what's going to happen if you don't tell us something about yourself right now~!"
"One fact, and you go away?"
"Yep!"
"Anything?"
"Anything!"
"Fine. One fact about me is that I am currently telling one single arbitrary fact to a camera. Later."
That's all on today's Interview Intermission. Until next time!

It was REALLY important that this be in the game, you see.

Next to Obsidia's Pokemon Center is the Daycare.

But they couple say they're closed. If I pester them enough:

Turns out they're meteor grunts.

Of course, one of them has to be the guy with a Minior.

They reveal that they've kidnapped the real day care couple!

And attempting rescue is pointless as the key is an unrelated location!

Once again a trade in which the thing we receive is only described and not named. This girl wants a Furret for a Castform. Castform is complete garbage... but... well, let's come back to that later.

OST: Atmosphere- High Energy.mp3

Also there's a candy shop.

Sure I love promotional challenges. I am a corporate whore. Pepsi.

What's this about rotating ti-

What the gently caress is this

Uh well I um that goes-

The reward is the fucker whose picture we were putting together. Swirlix is our second Fairy-type and the first I actually find. It'll be forever and a day before I can use its true dark powers but until then, it's a fairy and there's an encounter later this update where that's super useful.

This child wants ice cream. This child has no money. Thus, this child is unable to obtain ice cream. This child has firmly parked himself in front of the ice cream machine, helplessly whining at anyone who wants to use the ice cream machine to obtain ice cream. We cannot ask or force him to move to move, obtain ice cream ourselves, and then give him the ice cream he desires. We cannot give the child money or any number of gold nuggets so that he may purchase ice cream and move. We must obtain ice cream ourselves and give it to the child, cutting this gordian knot by finding an entirely different ice cream vendor then giving enough of a poo poo to help this youth so we can... get ice cream. Or by getting some with Pick Up.

This whole situation is absurd. And the prize isn't even worth it.

At least the candy shop sells candy. Whipped Dream is Swirlix's evolution item, but it has to be traded and I am not going to hurt anyone by asking they download Reborn and try to trade with me. The Peppermint through Red-Hots are status-healing items that increase friendship.

Cotton Candy is functionally identical to Revives and will be replacing them until after the 13th badge.

Assuming we are up to date on sidequests.

And they sell rare candies at 20k a pop.

The way to the park is blocked by a giant chasm and one tree, so we-

Wait why is this a battle.

A little later and we get told the same thing by Victoria.

"I went in there, too, but it's dangerous! All these men kept trying to attack me,"

"Raven, are you going to go through the Slums? I was worried you would say that. Isn't there anything I can say to stop you? It's really not safe."

At least Victoria understands that a lot of things can be resolved by Pokemon battle.

She's obtained a Ralts somewhere. It's no match for (battler.species,PBSpecies,:ONIX)

And a Pichu somewhere. It's even less of a match, though it does demonstrate one of Reborn's axioms.

If it can learn Fake Out, it knows Fake Out.

And her cat's evolved. It's weak to moveid=getConst(PBMoves,:ROCKTOMB)

"...Fine... Just promise me that you'll be careful, please? ...And, good luck."

And there's the way into the slums, which is some sort of underground complex.

I don't ask how Reborn City works, I'd probably scream if I tried.

Immediately we are beset by hobos.

By the way, that horizontal gray bar is just decoration. The vertical gray bar is an impassable obstacle. Visual clarity is not one of Reborn's assets.

Only notable fact about this fight is that Joe Bidoon hit an accuracy down on Moody and proceeded to do nothing for 3 turns until he hit an accuracy up.

Moody is random garbage, sometimes in a bad way.

"I'd take it if it were valuable, but unfortunately it'll disappear the moment anyone touches it. Has the side effect o' being' kinda refreshin'. Restores yer Pokemon 'n all that. But I'm a-okay. You want it?"

Reborn has one-time heals sprinked throughout dungeons. On one hand, the official games just had repeatable heals instead which are much less tedious. On the other hand, they scream "A BOSS IS TWO STEPS FROM NOW" which is useful when I need to do extensive prep work for some bosses.

Rich, poor, memes unite us all.

As do Golden Sun-like jumping across one-tile-long-gaps puzzles.

Wait no gently caress this why do you have these

Upon getting close to this box it runs off.

I'm not sure why anyone even considers the idea that a Pokemon might be in the box, even the player character.

Evidence: the player character is bewildered upon finding this box. Also it needs to be pushed and if you push it wrong an empty cardboard box becomes an impassable obstacle.

It's a recurring theme that innocuous things are impassable hazards to Raven, since we're even in the slums due to one tree.

Our second TM, first not given by a gym, and it's notably loving useless move Quash.

Quash.

Quash.

Oh, the slums have random encounters. Some of them are fighting-types I'd care about if it weren't for Boneless. One is a Pidove which is used as a gift for two different puzzles.

I asked and everyone who examined this graffiti say that it translates to something like bo-on yu-re-yu. Yureyu is Reborn's own failed company that left most of these destittue people destitute. What the rest means is anyone's guess.

Oh this is a jumping puzzle mixed with a perspective puzzle that would be no obstacle from the player character's perspective.

The graffiti here says bo-yu-re.

Hey, our first e-

poo poo in my own rear end in a top hat and call me benny twoshits

Ok I have to backtrack all the way out to go to the pokemon center and deposit something then go all the way back through like four layers of jumping puzzles to get this drat egg.

Reborn gives every Pokemon egg a unique look based on what's inside. This means this is a Bronzor!

This egg could've also been a Drowzee or a Ducklett at random, so I guess I won here.

is this being respectful of mental illness or is it just poo poo like my life

And here we see a Scraggy get in a box. Mystery solved. :geno:

This youth recognizes us for some reason.

For this choice and this choice alone afaik yes and no are reversed because no is what starts a a battle. Which I win easily.

This kid stole my Magikarp and sold it to someone else. Goddammit.

The box keeps making noises and it runs when we bother it enough.

I don't think this game has a very high opinion of drunks.

This door gives no indication it's locked; we get the unmarked key in an entirely different location hours later.

The Scraggy is part of a tough gang led by the evolved form Scrafty!

Reborn occasionally battles against pokemon that are technically trainers. This is a trainer battle with a funny sprite and no cash reward.

Also it's a double battle and we get intimidated. That's annoying.

They're a bunch of dark/fighting Pokemon so Swirlix tears through them with Fairy Wind. I might have to give this loser a nickname. Eventually.

Defeated, the Scrafty removes the gate and leaves...

Into the city?

Anyway, despite having done all of that to get around one tree, we now have to go somewhere else and do something unrelated to make these cops get off our case.

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 1
Acts of terrorism: 1
Acts of torture: 1
Bad guys escape somehow: 1

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

...I kinda like this shade of orange.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 26, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm not gonna lie, I like the garishly bright look of the candy store, and Pokemon trainers seems to be how they try to work the XY's horde mechanics, which while weird is an interesting solution.

But yeah there's just - zero need to add even more puzzles types when they're arguably the least popular part of the main games.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
It's weird how reasonable Victoria is among the rest of the characters here. I fully expect her to go full psycho at some point.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
SK!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seconding that the candy store actually looked very nice. That's really out of place in this horribly dark world but it's appreciated.

The Pokemon Gang is maybe not a terrible idea but I can't stop looking at how its sprite is not actually lined up with the circle so it looks totally off. Also, do they still appear off Poke Balls or is the game intelligent enough to have them appear from off-screen like the Pokemon that follow you in HGSS?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I said it before but the friendship boosting candies are just about the only gameplay innovation from Reborn that I genuinely think are any good. Having an opposite inverse to the bitter herb items is actually kind of a good idea. That's about the only good thing to say about Reborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I was actually thinking the TV was actually amusing when it was just "Famous people blowing off the reporter" and then it had to go suuuuuper creepy.