Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ugh, gently caress me.

OK so this is a bad pokemon fan game, another one yes, but it's even edgier and has even more bad design decisions and is way too loving long for its own good.

Keep this in mind, it was written by fans of this game. It's our mantra:

quote:

A more mature storyline-Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pok�mon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pok�mon could pose. These topics are not just thrown in to be edgy, either, they are treated with the respect such a subject deserves.

We've got terrorism, murder, suicide, torture, doomsday cults, sex jokes, memes, and much, much more!

Also the gameplay sucks with an abundance of gimmicks and a dependence on denying the player options, which is something else entirely!

Bydoless tried LPing this last year but didn't get very far. The game's currently unfinished so when I run out of content I guess I run out of LP. If the game updates I guess I have more LP, continuing in this thread if it's not in archives or a sequel thread if it is. I guess.

SPOILER POLICY: No spoilers, nothing, don't hint at events, don't hint at characters, don't hint at gameplay concepts, let people be surprised by this. No tags. No "there's a character that punches a goat later"-type half hint half straight spoiler. Nothing. No spoilers.

EDGE RISING POLICY: Don't mention this drat thing, ask about it somewhere else.

CLOVER POLICY: Don't mention this drat thing, we get it it's full of offensive 4chan jokes.

UPDATES:
Episode 1- Reborn, the City of Ruin

Episode 2- Reap What's Been Sewn

Episode 3- Domino

Episode 4- Aftershocks

Episode 5- Escape! from Reborn City

Episode 6- Poison in Vein

Episode 7- Poison in Vain

Episode 8- Of Fathers Forgotten

Episode 9- Sister's Keeper

Episode 10- Into Darkness

Episode 11- Out of Light

Episode 12- Demarcation

Episode 13- Cascade

Episode 14- //outlier.corruption

Episode 15- Never After

Episode 16- A City, Reborn

Episode 17- Rust Thicker Than Water

Episode 18: Void-Kissed

GAIDEN UPDATES

]

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"Fan" "Art":

Azza Bamboo knows that the magikarp is a powerful symbol, can't overuse it.

If Azza Bamboo ever stops bouncing, he dies.

Miss asks the most important question.

:pkmnwhy:
Megane made it an emote and Miss bought it.

Azza Bamboo asks the second most important question.

Geemer took me to the Fiddy Zone. I never returned.

Azza Bamboo reveals Raven's tragic backstory.

Azza Bamboo reveals the rock's tragic backstory.

Azza Bamboo's happy place.

Geomancing prefers to battle by biting apart foes' heads instantly while flying by at high speed.

Azza Bamboo says Raven feels what we all feel.

Azza Bamboo needs to put a Julrini banner in his sig or he's not a real shipper.

Azza Bamboo makes a leap of faith.

Azza Bamboo and the melancholy of a tissue ghost.

Azza Bamboo falls further in the Julrini hole.Still no sig banner.

Azza Bamboo proposes a hellish afterlife.

Azza Bamboo climbed the ice staircase for this view.

Meteor Dame Azza Bamboo would like to battle! Would! Really!

Azza Bamboo is just exploding with Julrini delight.

Miss should bring my TV back.

Azza Bamboo is Muk spelled backwards.

Azza Bamboo faces a choice with massive implications!

Azza Bamboo chose to act. But was it right?

Sorry that took so long. This is what I like to call Azza Bamboo 3.

Azza Bamboo psychiatrist has a psychiatrist, who also has a psychiatrist, who is just Azza Bamboo again.

Azza Bamboo finds the strength within.

Real or Fake? Has Zomborgon gone too far?

Just... hold on... Mad Surge!

Elkyrie should start a tshirt business.

I think Byxbysion is pronounced Azza Bamboo.

Azza Bamboo reveals the shocking truth! Is the truth still shocking anymore?

Azza Bamboo reveals the shocking truth proposes a theory as to how Byxbysion got its name.

Azza Bamboo takes a smoke break to come to terms with the plot.

Azza Bamboo knows the best time to make sex jokes is when a knife is to someone's throat.

Azza Bamboo you magnificent bastard I read your book!!

Azza Bamboo screams but not for ice cream.

Azza Bamboo says she's more like a broken record.

Megane understands the emotional depths.

Lt. Azza Bamboo mans the teleporter station.

FelicityGS wants the cool giant steelix setpiece!

Azza Bamboo is like the opposite of Auron, except for having a giant jug of booze.

Azza Bamboo has noticed the real problem with Reborn's writing.

Scarodactyl shows off the speedrun route!

Scarodactyl continues the journey for rum!

PoptartsNinja keeps mcguffins on the refrigeraven.

Scarodactyl finds something that might resemble god.

PoptartsNinja pinned this to my fridge with a magnet

PoptartsNinja has an important addition to any Reborn character chart.

Lyumia remembers our fallen hero.

AzzaBamboo may not be pleased with Terra.

PoptartsNinja made some refrigeraven sprites.

Lyumia gives Raven a new wardrobe.

XavierGenisi threatens me with a violin.

PoptartsNinja creates a comic about a team that raids bases.

FeyerbrandX gazed upon the abyss.

PoptartsNinja remembers our old friend.

Scarodactyl says the abyss is coming.

https://i.imgur.com/cx80pKY.mp4
Geemer uses Vegas from the humble bundle for something stupid like the rest of us.

https://i.imgur.com/qU2pfOf.mp4
How did Kureig find footage of me last Christmas?

Dear lord what is Dog Kisser doing to his Swalot!?

Mega64 keeps it in the family.

The Reborn region was founded around the shrine that held the place where nine-gear crow's gangtag landed.

Great shot, Ritznit. That was one in a million.

Shiny777 gives Fern the respect he thinks he deserves.

With darkness and Azza Bamboo through the night.

AzzaBamboo was forced to step on an obvious trap.

AzzaBamboo compromised his engineered beams to draw this.

AzzaBamboo is a great big weirdo who keeps a snail in his pencil case!

AzzaBamboo says what we're all feeling.

Scarodactyl is the most ambitious crossover event in history.

Scarodactyl reveals Reborn's design process.

AzzaBamboo can hold his breath underwater for five minutes.

AzzaBamboo explores Amaria's amnesia.

AzzaBamboo can talk to fishes, but only breems listen.

Zazibar Ham is at a loss when it comes to translating.

AzzaBamboo is annoyed with Amaria's antics.

Scarodactyl reveals Professor Reborn.

Tunicate's proposed intro fits the tone of Reborn better.

Plant Monster suggests he's getting the gently caress down.

Scarodactyl directly manipulated up to two individuals to make this.

PoptartsNinja says it's deep ok

People really like song parodies

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 27, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I said that if someone got me RPG Maker XP on Steam, so I could edit the game like I did Uranium, I'd LP it.

It took less than an hour.

Reborn offers six player avatars. Two with male designs, two with female designs, and two with androgynous designs. The gender selection is separate from the graphic, too.

Reborn is usually good about representation without jumping up and down and screaming that it's doing it.

Usually.

I let one discord server pick the avatar and a different one pick the name, because hammering together ideas regardless of sense is the name of the game.

And no, we don't give Ebony back her sweater. Bitch has my poster.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Good ideas: a shitton of utility keys like quick-saving and fast-forward and text-skip.
Bad idea: making the skip text button be right next to the primary "do" button while having it also be the menu key so I can't just rebind it.

https://i.imgur.com/fX0N9X8.mp4
New to this version, called episode 17, is an intro. It's a train!

And we're on it! Along with every other potential player character and...

Ame is presumably pronounced like the first two syllables of Amethyst, because this is the stand-in for the creator, Amethyst. When I say Amethyst, I mean the creator. Ame is the character in the game.

Yes, Reborn is the name of the region.

Ten years ago, Reborn City, the massive metropolis at the heart of the region, was devastated by earthquakes They've only barely gotten back on their feet.

Not... everything is as creatively named as the city.

Reborn only uses official Pokemon. As a bonus, it uses all of them.

Or not really a bonus, it's as bloated as everything else here.

And then a ghost shows up.

And then Ame notices something's wrong.

And then the train explodes.

A literal trainwreck.

It seems that Ame and Raven are the only survivors.

Nothing to kick off a Pokemon adventure like death, huh?

It's hard to factor this in to the final death count, since it's unknown how many people were even in the train.

If we gloated over every line that was prime thread title material, we'd be here for weeks.

A woman wearing her old high school cheerleader uniform (literally) named Julia appears and is immediately accused of terrorism.

Julia's character is unbearably cheery - in a way that manifests in her taking up too many goddamn text boxes.

And fascinated with explosives - in a way that manifests in her taking up too many goddamn text boxes.

Oh, it's definitely terrorism.

Police are going to block off the area until... we trigger arbitrary flags. Ostensibly if we got here a day earlier we'd have incredible freedom of movement to prowl where the gently caress ever.

Yeah sure you're one of two survivors of a terrorist attack but let's go on with grabbing a tiny animal and adventuring like you aren't in shithole central.

No I am regretting my choice to come here.

: "Whaaaaaaat? That's no fun! You simply must! Hm? Why do I insist? Well, because I'm the Electric Gym Leader! I'll be looking forward to your challenge, so go on, get down to the Grand Hall already!"

Having regrets scored me -1 point with Julia.

No, really.

Maybe that explains why some of this garbage-wait no that would've happened anyway.

OST- Reborn- Peridot.mp3

So we're just outside a ruined train station, next to a polluted lake, with some omnipresent gloom muting the color pallete further, and the OST is droning and minimalist.

This ain't your daddy's Pokemon.

Probably because your daddy's Pokemon is satisfying and fun.

I will give Amethyst credits as a composer, though, the music is the best element of the urban decay atmosphere.

The cops are on the case, at least. This is the last time the cops will be on the case.

there's a boulder on the left and a cop on the right, we are aggressively funneled to the Grand Hall.

I hope you like <, >, v, and ^ used for arrows on street signs. Occasionally you're given directions by streets which is a pain. The numbers go from west to east and the horizontal streets are basically arbitrary.

This game is not shy at all about bad words.

Or confirming that people are dead.

Technically every part of the city is a seperate map. Reborn stitches together the districts by rendering the overlap on both sides so the warp from one map to another is hidden, but only Peridot Ward has this one NPC while Opal Ward does not.

The rare issue like this is the only real problem with how the different maps are put together. Technically, anyway.

OST- Reborn- Opal

Thanks for the critter medicine, I guess.

I... I can see why.

The Grand Hall is just up the stairs, and another original character is there.

Inside the Grand Hall, Ame tells us that they already have the bomber. That was quick.

But nevermind catastrophe, let's start the sanctioned cockfights!

: "That's right! Kiki said that it would be good for my training, also, if I started over completely. So she asked if I could get a new Pokemon, too."
: "Normally we reserve them strictly for newcomers, but I suppose we can make an exception on Kiki's request."
: "Oh, thank you!"

But we're the player so we get first choice.

Upstairs are 21 pokeballs.

Reborn offers the fire/grass/water starters of every generation.

Some choices are better than others. While it'll be extremely deep into the game, we can get another Popplio, for example. Two starters stick out, because they have incredible potency and aren't obtainable later. 6th generation water starter Froakie and 3rd generation fire starter Torchic.

It took some consideration but I went with Torchic.

Because he's a KFC (kung-fu chicken) tender. <3

...Shinies are extremely common in Reborn, and they're different from the official games usually. I really don't care that this Torchic is shiny, because it has Blaze.

Hidden Abilities are regularly available in Reborn, and some of them are powerful. Speed Boost is +1 stage of speed, an additive 50% boost, every turn. After one turn Boneless will outspeed most things. After two it'd take buffed speed to match. This happens passively so I can attack or use items and still get speed.

Reborn, like Uranium, let's us see EVs and IVs directly. EVs aren't relevant yet, if the flat 0s are any indication, but IVs are. They range from 0 to 31 and are fixed, sort of genetic aptitude. Boneless has great Attack and Defense IVs, mediocre HP, Special Attack, and Special Defense, and low speed. Furthermore, Attack is boosted by 10% by Boneless's Naughty nature, at the cost of 10% of Special Defense. Great Attack with a boosting nature is going to be Boneless's main asset, even if she's frail.

Is it better to have no bones or brittle bones?

Victoria asks which one we got, and is honest that she has one in mind. There's special dialogue even if we pick that one as well.

: "What? Haha, no, I didn't say anything! Hey, was Ame just here? Ohhhh, so she's with someone else. 'Kay~ My name's Cain, how about yours? Raven ... Pretty name."

So, uh, this is Cain, one of our rivals. He uses tildes as punctuation and hits on us regardless of sprite or gender identity.

Like Victoria, he's starting anew on the Reborn League.

Of course, what else do two new trainers do?

Even if one of them is wearing a fishnet shirt?

Every character gets their own trainer class. I'm of mixed opinion.

OST: Battle- Rival.mp3

This song is by remix artist GlitchCity. I don't like GlitchCity's remixes. Manages to turn whatever composition she gets her slimy psudeopods on into a generic techno track.

Bad news, GlitchCity does all the battle songs. Good news, like Uranium and other RPG Maker XP productions the audio files are completely naked and vulnerable and easy to replace.

OFSelects: Shellac - My Black rear end

Cain's pokemon is always a male Nidoran. It has Leer, Scratch, and Scratch. Its ability is Hustle, which boosts move damage by 50% but lowers accuracy by 20%.

This means our first battle is essentially random. Cain can get lucky and beat you down fast or just wiff every hit.

He wiffed.

Cain insists on us going to the Pokemon Center to heal up, whereupon,

She did say to wait and we ran off with a gothic boy.

Hm, maybe Raven is a better name than I thought.

Haha

ugh

it only gets worse

After clearing up the misunderstanding Victoria is up for a battle. Her view on sex in public is unknown.

Same music as Cain. Victoria is our second rival.

I think the sprite went wrong somewhere, hard to place where.

Victoria always takes a Litten. In prior versions she had a Tepig.

Speed Boost and one level on it means Boneless wins trading blows.

While we messed around with beating up cats, Ame got all the boring poo poo done.

The full 800+ pokemon experience.

It has the town map, access to online functions (which actually work), and a jukebox function that lets us listen to any track in the game and overrides normal music switches.

Move at a speed that's almost acceptable for how big some maps get!

have fun with adventure im gonna be the fbi for a minute lemme swooce right over there

In the basement, they're playing bad cop and worse cop.

bad cop just got done.

The suspect is sitting in a metal chair.

Haha, puns! Goes with police brutality like chocolate and peanut butter.

The suspect won't talk so...

Welcome to Pokemon Reborn! :buddy:

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 1
Acts of terrorism: 1
Acts of torture: 1

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

A lot of Reborn's shiny pokemon are black and red. Even the trash bugs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 8, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

God dammit, OFS.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Ground floor, god damnit OFS, etc., please feed me more of this edgy garbage.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Edgy pokemon is coming. In all its horror and glory.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On-board for the full pizza-cutter experience

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Also, I should point out how drat weird Raven's overworld sprite looks. She's supposed to be a relatively tan person with wild blonde hair, but her chibi overworld sprite makes her seem like some kind of potato person, especially from the side.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ground floor!

God damnit, what is this heresy - RPG Maker games without a MIDI soundtrack? Just never mind all the other horribleness going on here, clearly this is the primary crime this game commits.

Also, I don't know why, but it kind of bugs me that Cain here uses both tildes and repetition of the last letter of the word in his dialogue, because I'm like 95% certain they're being used here to say the same thing, elongation of the word. Just pick one and stick with it!

So yeah, I guess I'll just be here to be nitpicky about minor things because I'll just assume everybody else has the major things covered, what with them being incredibly blatant and all.

EDIT: Oh hey, I actually own RPG Maker XP on Steam as well. I guess that means I officially volunteer to help with RPG Maker related fuckery if you need it, OFS. I've largely only worked with RPG Maker 2003, but I'm sure XP isn't too fundamentally different.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 10, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay but why relationship points? Is this Pokewinter Nights 2 or something? :sigh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ow the edge

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This is like... the second time I've seen a Pokemon game open up with a terrorist attack/people dying/explosions.

Wtf?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How's the creators/fans of this game? Are they as toxic as Uranium's?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
So this kiiinda might be partially my fault.

Disclaimer: conversation may be slightly abridged.

On a brighter note, here's something slightly good that the writers of this travesty did.

That Absol isn't ridiculously overstated. It's just kind of there, and that's a little bit subtle. Good job!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God speed you glorious bastard

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Why would you do this.

(I'm glad you did. Pump the horrible fangames straight into my veins.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

godspeed ofs

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I knew this was coming from the LP discord and I'm still asking "why"

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Ground floor for what will undoubtedly be a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
OFS, no! Don't do this to yourself! You can still go back! Back to Dragon Quest 8!

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

That ending to the update is solid gold, LETS MELT A TERRORIST

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad there's no grimdark Kirby fangames at least (and if you plan on linking something like that, then forget it, because it doesn't exist and you must be hallucinating it).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I probably only remember the previous thread for this game by the sheer fact that it is This Game. Despite its brevity, it managed to leave something of an impression that's for sure.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
:allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aw no awfully sprited original pokemon?
what a shame

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
"A Pokemon fangame thread? I wonder what it's li-"

:dogbutton:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
By the way, I'm the person who got Sheep that copy of RPG Maker XP. I might be a sadist, masochist or both. You can thank me later. :smuggo:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Isn't this the Pokemon fangame where if you managed to find a way around their "brilliantly designed" puzzle bosses by doing anything they didn't specifically intend for you to do they removed the Pokemon that could do it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Solumin posted:

Ground floor for what will undoubtedly be a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

It'll be treated with the respect it deserves. :)

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Aw no awfully sprited original pokemon?
what a shame

The closest we get are 2D sprites of mons that show up in the later 3D generations. Those sprites are generally not even bad, either. I think the game makes up for that for plenty of badness in other areas, though.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We're not even a page into the thread and there are at least 3 people dead.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is like... the second time I've seen a Pokemon game open up with a terrorist attack/people dying/explosions.

Wtf?

This might be the same one, it had an aborted LP last year.

There's some neat little QOL ideas in what we've seen so far. Shame about all the bigger ideas.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, this thing again. I'm always up for the grimdarkest of fangames and this is no exception. Honestly, it's just hilarious how hard it tries, so that's enjoyable in its own way.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm disappointed that the title isn't "What Trubbish."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

Isn't this the Pokemon fangame where if you managed to find a way around their "brilliantly designed" puzzle bosses by doing anything they didn't specifically intend for you to do they removed the Pokemon that could do it?

That sounds so extreme in its pettiness I'd expect to see it in some kinda meta-out-smart-the-"creator" kinda game.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
This thing is such a loving trip. Watching OFS struggle through this piece of poo poo in attempting to get even an initial run through ready has been both amazing and agonizing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't know why I made this other than realizing 'Reborn' is an anagram of 'Rboner'

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Godspeed, OFS.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I hope this game gets shattered into pieces twice as hard as Uranium was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope if the game is completed the ending is super depressing and your actions turn out to amount to nothing (or maybe even made things worse!).