Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They had the two girls in the latest episode and could've just gone for cutesy BearGguys or SD Gundams as they're one-off secondary characters. Instead they showed they're massive Seed Destiny fans, the poor misguided things, with a Gaia Gundam and (I THINK?) a Murasame. Neither of which are girly or particularly mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People are mostly salty from fumina

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tae posted:

Which I can't get because the Star Winning was the second coolest MS in the series, only behind Tryon 3.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I rather enjoyed this episode and am now very curious to find out just how old Ayame is supposed to be out of the game.

That was definitely one of the most hamfisted conflicts ever though. Never have I felt the heavy hand of somebody saying "Every episode must have a gunpla fight!" more than this one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They had the two girls in the latest episode and could've just gone for cutesy BearGguys or SD Gundams as they're one-off secondary characters. Instead they showed they're massive Seed Destiny fans, the poor misguided things, with a Gaia Gundam and (I THINK?) a Murasame. Neither of which are girly or particularly mainstream.

Well, technically they’re both piloted by girls in the show, but that’s it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Which I can't get because the Star Winning was the second coolest MS in the series, only behind Tryon 3.

Because the Winning Gundam's entire existence was about benching Fumina ASAP so Sekai could look good with an oversized fist.

Overlord K posted:

I rather enjoyed this episode and am now very curious to find out just how old Ayame is supposed to be out of the game.

That was definitely one of the most hamfisted conflicts ever though. Never have I felt the heavy hand of somebody saying "Every episode must have a gunpla fight!" more than this one.

You mean the fight that lasted all of two hits and was more about showing what Break Decals do?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Overlord K posted:

It's a fairly common thing in Gundam, really. Even Turn A had some clear fights for the sake of fights.

I know IBO had a fair number of episodes without mech fights, and 0080 had them be pretty minor most of the time, but I'm struggling to remember what other shows didn't bother with a mech fight of the week.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I wonder how long until the RX-Zeromaru transforms into a HG style suite like the Winning Gundam. The bird backpack thing it has is very obviously made of transformation parts.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'll admit that I don't really get why folks seem kind of down on the conflict. Didn't GBF also had some forced conflict around this point too? There was that part in the inn where they fought debt collectors, or the China vs. Caroline fight.

Anyway, I'd totally kill for an episode that showed us that Dancing With The GunPla event. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

I'll admit that I don't really get why folks seem kind of down on the conflict. Didn't GBF also had some forced conflict around this point too? There was that part in the inn where they fought debt collectors, or the China vs. Caroline fight.

Anyway, I'd totally kill for an episode that showed us that Dancing With The GunPla event. :allears:

What GBD really needs going forward is an off-beat episode every so often running some of the implied weird/fun mission types.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amigolupus posted:

tbh i don't have an encyclopedic memory of gbf but also don't really care whether it had some dodgy writing that this (overall worse) series has doubled down on. it would be a testament to the strength of gbf that its strengths managed to transcend that sort of thing, whereas this show hasn't managed it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because the Winning Gundam's entire existence was about benching Fumina ASAP so Sekai could look good with an oversized fist.

Winning Gundam and Star Winning Gundam are two different units. Star Winning was a power house that fought on its own. It would help your argument if you knew what others were talking about.

Luminaflare posted:

I wonder how long until the RX-Zeromaru transforms into a HG style suite like the Winning Gundam. The bird backpack thing it has is very obviously made of transformation parts.

This season seems to be focused on kitbashes, with a few actually custom suits. So I wouldn't hold my breath but it is possible.

amigolupus posted:

The fight here just comes up either zero establishment. But I think it's mostly people already tired of decal break that any focus on it feels like the show is trying to tank it'sown ratings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The exact remark We were both replying to was this;

Tae posted:

And anyone can tell you that it wasn't because of the Star Winning Gundam. It was because her role in the first half of the season was, very painfully clearly, to make Sekai look good and not actually contribute herself.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And anyone can tell you that it wasn't because of the Star Winning Gundam. It was because her role in the first half of the season was, very painfully clearly, to make Sekai look good and not actually contribute herself.

Weird how you quoted this

Blaze Dragon posted:

And responded with

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And no her sole purpose was not to make Sekai look good. But I'm not gonna force you to watch a meh show.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd be fine with decal break if it actually seemed to do anything. Anyone who ever used it gets effortlessly bodied.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Weird how you quoted this

Blaze's post was replying to the one I mentioned. It's called "having a conversation" :ssh:.

Sazabi posted:

And no her sole purpose was not to make Sekai look good. But I'm not gonna force you to watch a meh show.

How would you define a mobile suit whose sole purpose was to disengage from the fight completely, surrender any form of independent action, and become equipment for the de-facto protagonist in what's supposed to be a team fight? :thunk:

The show itself even drives this one home, because they talk about it when she starts looking for ideas for what becomes the Star Winning Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 23, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

I'd be fine with decal break if it actually seemed to do anything. Anyone who ever used it gets effortlessly bodied.

No kidding, for a literally illegal powerup, it sure is completely loving worthless. I can't even care about the glitches because we've seen they are completely temporary and easily stopped by merely stopping the Break Decal instead so...why are they worried about them again?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

No kidding, for a literally illegal powerup, it sure is completely loving worthless. I can't even care about the glitches because we've seen they are completely temporary and easily stopped by merely stopping the Break Decal instead so...why are they worried about them again?

I believe there to be lasting effects and shut will start to malfunction without anyone using them after a certain amount of damage is done.
Thankfully it can be all fixed with a Gunpla battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's also a problem that should be solved by the game's admins and GMs with account bans and bug fixes instead of a problem that should be solved by the players going and beating up the hackers.

Like it sure is convenient that evil hooded hackerman designed evil hacks that gently caress up the world but the user can turn them off at any point and when they are deactivated(willingly or unwillingly) all the problems caused by them vanish for some reason.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kanos posted:

It's also a problem that should be solved by the game's admins and GMs with account bans and bug fixes instead of a problem that should be solved by the players going and beating up the hackers.

Like it sure is convenient that evil hooded hackerman designed evil hacks that gently caress up the world but the user can turn them off at any point and when they are deactivated(willingly or unwillingly) all the problems caused by them vanish for some reason.

I know it's a semi metaphor for drugs so they can't play it in a positive way. But just once someone needs to win with the help ofcocaine decal break. One, so it's a threat to the health of the game. And two, to help make all the subsequent customer not look stupid for seeking out the hooded man with a 0% success rate. I mean fatty saw first hand how little it helped that Dom, and he's still looking for a dumb decal break.

Learn your weapons triangle. Protagonists beat antagonist but is weak to mentors.
While Mentors are super effective against protagonists, while loosing to antagonist characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the drug metaphor is really weak

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dogsicle posted:

the drug metaphor is really weak

Agreed,. everyone knows the real drug is gunpla itself.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mordja posted:

Agreed,. everyone knows the real drug is gunpla itself.

Injection-mold it right in my veins.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I love that you can buy parts in-game, and then have them injection molded to use in real life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Why is the game returning to nornal when the illegal hack goes away such a sore point for you? It's exactly what most code would actually do.

Also I think you missed Riku telling that girl how if she used a Break Decal she'd never get to play GBN ever again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why is the game returning to nornal when the illegal hack goes away such a sore point for you? It's exactly what most code would actually do.

Also I think you missed Riku telling that girl how if she used a Break Decal she'd never get to play GBN ever again.

Because it sort of kills the threat level behind the hacks if both everyone using them is a chump and all the damage they can do is immediately and totally negated the moment they lose, fail, or change their minds? If the idea is that they're supposed to be threatening because they literally break the world and gently caress with the fundamental rules of the game, it's a lot more interesting if their influence lingers after the fact; then it becomes important for our plucky band of heroes to figure out the source of these things and stop their use in the first place.

Riku's line didn't really make any sense, because he said that line in the middle of her rampage. If using a break decal was enough to get you banned or removed, well, uh, too bad; she already used it! Just because she changed her mind doesn't mean she didn't already break the rules. That and if the administration is on point enough that people who use these things will get banned, why is the Champion Of All Gunpla so concerned about them that he feels the need to go undercover to figure out how to stop them?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 24, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Because it sort of kills the threat level behind the hacks if both everyone using them is a chump and all the damage they can do is immediately and totally negated the moment they lose, fail, or change their minds? If the idea is that they're supposed to be threatening because they literally break the world and gently caress with the fundamental rules of the game, it's a lot more interesting if their influence lingers after the fact; then it becomes important for our plucky band of heroes to figure out the source of these things and stop their use in the first place.

Riku's line didn't really make any sense, because he said that line in the middle of her rampage. If using a break decal was enough to get you banned or removed, she already used it. Just because she changed her mind doesn't mean she didn't already break the rules. That and if the administration is on point enough that people who use these things will get banned, why is the Champion Of All Gunpla so concerned about them that he feels the need to go undercover to figure out how to stop them?

Are you completely unfamiliar with how any online games work? The concept of backup/disposable accounts? Admins don't just have to know a hack's going on, they need to sift through a shitload of log data to find the cause. And being able to to turn it off is infinitely worse, because it means that some rear end in a top hat can just pop it on, gently caress with a shitload of people, and turn it off without anyone spotting who caused the bugs. What, Break Boosting? No, nothing going on here, I owned that scrub fair and square :ninja:...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kanos posted:

Except we've seen an instance of "people use Break Decals, get owned, poo poo fails to go back to normal" in the episode where the champ went undercover and met Riku and his friends. The Devil Gundam from that scenario they were playing still kept up its rampage even after the three Mass Divers got owned and were no longer a factor in the battle.

There's also the matter of the Leo that suddenly came back to life during Riku and Yuuki's first sortie, but that's an oddity in that there wasn't anyone using a Break Decal nearby (unless it was something happening in the area but off-screen). While that could indicate that there's more at work going on here than just the Break Decals loving up the game's code, the way the more experienced players have been talking about it sounds like these kinds of things weren't happening until Break Decals started to become more widespread. Since there is direct evidence that using the Break Decals fucks up the game in the local area, they're working on the assumption that repeated use of them might be doing long term damage to the game that's not immediately apparent even after things go "back to normal" once the Break Decal is deactivated.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you completely unfamiliar with how any online games work? The concept of backup/disposable accounts? Admins don't just have to know a hack's going on, they need to sift through a shitload of log data to find the cause. And being able to to turn it off is infinitely worse, because it means that some rear end in a top hat can just pop it on, gently caress with a shitload of people, and turn it off without anyone spotting who caused the bugs. What, Break Boosting? No, nothing going on here, I owned that scrub fair and square :ninja:...

There's tons of bots and trainers for real life MMOs that you can toggle on and off and they get banned in droves by any remotely competent company, and those are in games where you're not required to full dive VR and can multi box and hide behind VPNs. Hacking or running a bot once in something like WoW is something that gets noticed and you will get banned even weeks and months after the fact, even if you stopped using the hack months ago(I had a friend who got banned 9 months after he ran a bot and when he contested it they gave him a exact time span of his bot usage!) Poor Destiny Girl would be hosed from the moment she hit the yes button.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The entire concept of scanning a Gunpla is a massive security hole. God only knows what kind of adversarial examples you could put into a Gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

The entire concept of scanning a Gunpla is a massive security hole. God only knows what kind of adversarial examples you could put into a Gunpla.

I full expect to learn that Break Decals are literal stickers on the gunpla themselves.

Kanos posted:

There's tons of bots and trainers for real life MMOs that you can toggle on and off and they get banned in droves by any remotely competent company, and those are in games where you're not required to full dive VR and can multi box and hide behind VPNs. Hacking or running a bot once in something like WoW is something that gets noticed and you will get banned even weeks and months after the fact, even if you stopped using the hack months ago(I had a friend who got banned 9 months after he ran a bot and when he contested it they gave him a exact time span of his bot usage!) Poor Destiny Girl would be hosed from the moment she hit the yes button.

And she was just some average player using to be stronger with some catastrophic effects on a wide nearby area as a mere side-effect? What do you think happens when someone turns their decal on specifically for the bugs to damage the game? Things would go right down the toilet if someone popped one in one of those lobby/city areas, even for just a few minutes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lego Dimensions was a really weird thing that "scanned" lego things into the game, but because it was one RFID chip and not connected to every piece or whatever, you had to build the actual thing on the box.

I think it would be really funny to see like rogue builders 3d printing their own illegal parts and making some sort of Gurren Lagann-esque monstrosity.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AtheistMantis posted:

Call me mystified. Just how many people recognize the obscure Mobile BuCue but have no idea what a Gaia Gundam is? IMHO looks more like a LaGowe anyway.

For comparison:

Gaia Gundam

BuCUE

LaGOWE

Which reminds me, why can't Build Divers have more interesting MSV.

Like Gaia Impulse Gundam

To be fair the first third of SEED aired on Toonami*, while Destiny never got TV broadcast here in the US due to Gundam's popularity tanking during SEED's run

*SEED is the one time I'm in favor of US censorship for Anime, it's a shame they stopped it's Toonami run before the end parts of the show cause pretty much the one thing keeping me from rewatching SEED is those random bits of hyper gore they stuck in every now and then(it's telling that pretty much the only other shows that have gotten a similar amount of disgust out of me were Blood C and Psycho-Pass)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's basically what Sakura was in the first couple of arcs of Naruto was, a useless waste of space there to make Naruto and Sasuke look interesting(since they were themselves dull as dishwater till near the end of the Chuunin Exams)

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Taintrunner posted:

Lego Dimensions was a really weird thing that "scanned" lego things into the game, but because it was one RFID chip and not connected to every piece or whatever, you had to build the actual thing on the box.

I think it would be really funny to see like rogue builders 3d printing their own illegal parts and making some sort of Gurren Lagann-esque monstrosity.

They don't give any details on how a gunpla gets scanned or translated to the game. So maybe a thick lead paint, or metal shield could be scanned as invulnerable. Or even program your account to give your gunpla the Akatsuki reflect all beams treatment.

They also give no indication if model grade/size matters. So a $300 dollar perfect grade could enter a force battle with a bunch of high grades.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Gundam Breaker 3 they make you fight a Perfect Grade with HGs, actually

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

*SEED is the one time I'm in favor of US censorship for Anime, it's a shame they stopped it's Toonami run before the end parts of the show cause pretty much the one thing keeping me from rewatching SEED is those random bits of hyper gore they stuck in every now and then(it's telling that pretty much the only other shows that have gotten a similar amount of disgust out of me were Blood C and Psycho-Pass)

To be fair, there's a point to it in Psycho-Pass regarding desensitization to violence. Especially since it means Akane's able to stay completely calm and mentally-stable even when watching a latent criminal burst into bloody chunks at the pull of a trigger :gibs:.

Sazabi posted:

They don't give any details on how a gunpla gets scanned or translated to the game. So maybe a thick lead paint, or metal shield could be scanned as invulnerable. Or even program your account to give your gunpla the Akatsuki reflect all beams treatment.

You mean aside from "place on the platform, scanning light goes up the model"?. Metal parts aren't anything new either, everyone noticed Sei was using metal for the barrel of the Build Strike's upgraded cannon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, there's a point to it in Psycho-Pass regarding desensitization to violence. Especially since it means Akane's able to stay completely calm and mentally-stable even when watching a latent criminal burst into bloody chunks at the pull of a trigger :gibs:.

You mean aside from "place on the platform, scanning light goes up the model"?. Metal parts aren't anything new either, everyone noticed Sei was using metal for the barrel of the Build Strike's upgraded cannon.

Honestly those guns having a death setting is the thing that makes the least sense, considering they have a stun setting that from my recollection was basically completely reliable in stopping human targets

But then everything about that show's setting was pretty clearly designed for two things; 1) to do one of those hackneyed "everything and everyone sucks and there's no point in trying to change anything" kind of shows, and 2) satisfy the gore fetish the people involved in that show very clearly had

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

GBD going the .hack route of moderation: having PCs handle it with the mods/admins being something of an infrequently invoked god.

We all know that if it were realistic there'd be Chinese parts farmers questing like mad for the equivalent of the STL file for the IRL printable parts, basically turning the game into Reamde.

"100% FAST BEST PRICE GOLDPLA FARMING"
"WTB [Tryonfury, Blessed GN Rifle of the Boy who Called the Windseeker] PST"
"repairadin LFG A Baoa Qu Core, PST"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

GBD going the .hack route of moderation: having PCs handle it with the mods/admins being something of an infrequently invoked god.

We all know that if it were realistic there'd be Chinese parts farmers questing like mad for the equivalent of the STL file for the IRL printable parts, basically turning the game into Reamde.

"100% FAST BEST PRICE GOLDPLA FARMING"
"WTB [Tryonfury, Blessed GN Rifle of the Boy who Called the Windseeker] PST"
"repairadin LFG A Baoa Qu Core, PST"

wtf beam weapons are for n00bs, use solid ammo :rolleyes:.

1v1 fite me, RX-78-02, beam blades only! :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

wtf beam weapons are for n00bs, use solid ammo :rolleyes:.

1v1 fite me, RX-78-02, beam blades only! :goonsay:

See I would love that. Some sort of hardcore over the top Ball only fight club

• Locked thread