Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheKingofSprings posted:

Any attacking warrior makes one.

Which is why you attack first and then untap infinitely.

Najeela, the Blade-Blossom posted:

WUBRG: Untap all attacking creatures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yawgmoth posted:

Hot Take: this is a stupid argument for retards and no one is going to move either way

shut up about who prints the cards and start talking about what's on them

Hot take: don't use the word retard as a prejorative.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Bonus round seems very powerful but I also don't have experience with the type of combo decks that would play a card like that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I really like the decision to focus in part on specific champions in the plane's arenas. It gives them a clear way to return to the plane without letting things feel stale, which I assume is going to happen in a year or two since this set's gonna do gangbusters

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think 2hg is kind of memey, and I never play EDH because I think it sucks, but I have to say that this set looks really awesome. The cards looks fun to play with, there are some neat reprints, and the flavor and theme is a huge home run.

Good job WotC. Between this and Dominaria, I haven't been this happy about the game in a very long time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I can already feel people firesaling their Fiery Confluence they don't want atm. Zero chance that isn't going to get a reprint as well.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 24, 2018

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

fadam posted:

I think 2hg is kind of memey, and I never play EDH because I think it sucks, but I have to say that this set looks really awesome. The cards looks fun to play with, there are some neat reprints, and the flavor and theme is a huge home run.

Good job WotC. Between this and Dominaria, I haven't been this happy about the game in a very long time.

Agreed, i've been drafting DOM almost nightly on MTGO and it's been fun and i've pulled a couple of value mythics to keep the ball going if I want for a pretty long time.

My friends who almost never buy or play paper magic are so excited for battlebond and I cleared off my dining room table for us to draft it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What the christ is this doing in white.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I hope they put this into Standard at some point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I think we're just missing a black one, now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nephzinho posted:

What the christ is this doing in white.

It’s a cycle- Morphling, Torchling, Thornling. Morphling is on the Reserved List so they printed Aetherling. They’re just missing a black one now.

Cernunnos posted:

I hope they put this into Standard at some point.

Having lifelink available makes me think this would be really brutal in standard.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 24, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Man. A Threat-of-activation 5/1 attacker with lifelink that is also a perfectly shaped blocker that also conforms to exactly kill whatever small stuff you block it with and survive that's virtually immune to removal or combat if you leave a mana up seems, good.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Toshimo posted:

Also, I know very few game shops that could stomach a 25% loss in M:tG revenue, so nearly-indistinguishable fakes will probably kill like 80% of brick-and-mortar LGSes, so can we not support that, cause I like having LGSes.

If a shop not operating at massive online ordering scale gets 25% of their revenue from singles they're not long for the world to begin with.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

born on a buy you posted:

If a shop not operating at massive online ordering scale gets 25% of their revenue from singles they're not long for the world to begin with.

Yeah 5/6 shops around me would probably get on just fine selling war dollies, boxed games, RPGs, sealed product, dice, etc etc. One of them treats selling singles as a distasteful courtesy they are obliged to offer. The one remaining one that's really TCG focused I think if I walked in with three grand in cash and asked for a playset of underground seas could cough up maaaaybe one or two. Maybe. So it's not like getting them for 3 bucks from perfidious celestials who will spend the money to support Triad activities is really robbing the FLGS of bread for their children or whatever.

I am sorry I re-engaged with this perennial topic people hate but I can't shut up and stop posting. It is a blessing and a curse.

E: Snacks of all things seem like a pretty high margin item for game shops. I know for a longer event I go through a couple drinks and a sweet/salty snack or two and don't mind the convenience markup.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 24, 2018

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

I can already feel people firesaling their Fiery Confluence they don't want atm. Zero chance that isn't going to get a reprint as well.

Zero chance they put 4 mana deal 12 in a 2HG set

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How is the release going to work for this? I see that it is set to release June 8. IS it getting a pre release? If so, is the standard format still sealed, or would I have the option to draft it instead?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Shadow225 posted:

How is the release going to work for this? I see that it is set to release June 8. IS it getting a pre release? If so, is the standard format still sealed, or would I have the option to draft it instead?

There will be a pre-release the preceding weekend, but I imagine not a whole lot of stores will do it. The format at my store is 6 pack sealed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I like this a lot. It's missing an ability compared to the others, but "w: x gains first strike until end of turn" or "w: x gains hexproof from y color until end of turn" would've probably been bonkers. Still very strong though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I like this a lot. It's missing an ability compared to the others, but "w: x gains first strike until end of turn" or "w: x gains hexproof from y color until end of turn" would've probably been bonkers. Still very strong though.

No it's not, they've just merged the last 2 abilities. I checked morphing and thorning before posting. Each have activations for a single coloured mana, like this, then the last ability split in two.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ooh, I really like this design. Very flavorful.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I really like this card

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They merged the last two abilities, so it's the same.

E:f,b

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Each time I think this set can't possibly have even more good reprints and awesome new cards in it I get proven wrong, gently caress.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

They’re still attacking? Is there something I’m not getting?

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
So is battleborn also influenced by their new play-design team? Because, dang, both it and Dominaria seem to be smash hits and that definitely bodes well for sets going forward.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Propitious Jerk posted:

So is battleborn also influenced by their new play-design team? Because, dang, both it and Dominaria seem to be smash hits and that definitely bodes well for sets going forward.

Play design wouldn't have been involved in this - they're there to balance constructed.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

They’re still attacking? Is there something I’m not getting?

If Bloom Tender is attacking it hasn't been tapped for Mana so you probably can't pay to untap it, and if it has been tapped for Mana it hasn't been attacking so it won't untap.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cactrot posted:

If Bloom Tender is attacking it hasn't been tapped for Mana so you can't pay to untap it, and if it has been tapped for Mana it hasn't been attacking so it won't untap.

You can attack, pay 5 to untap it, and then tap it for mana. And it's still attacking.

You need some other creature where infinitely untapping it does something useful to get a real "combo" going though. Or I guess a vigilance guy and being able to tap all your opponent's blockers. Or something useful that triggers at the beginning of combat.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 24, 2018

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Tim will kill.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean bounce for W is pretty strong. The whole card is very strong, really. It's really hard to kill absent it's controller tapping out like a dummy or it getting countered (which I suppose is one of the risks there).

They should re-do Torchling because Torchling is way weaker than any of the other ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

Tim will kill.

Or this: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=425700

And a half dozen other things ignoring, say, a vigilant flyer or unblockable.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

remember how people used to play Mangara in D&T

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Funny how a last minute card swap established a long running tradition. Morphling was initially a clone reprint before being shelved, but they had to use the art already made.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Good commander reprint, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land