Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Josef bugman posted:

Who is Mearls?

Mike Mearls is a performatively progressive piece of poo poo who acts concerned when you point out that he has two harassers credited as consultants, and then after everyone sends in their evidence and first-hand accounts forwards them to at least one of the harassers involved, then says that there's no evidence that they were poo poo people.

This is on top of him setting the game back by god knows how many years, but that's just a personal grudge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Darksaber posted:

This is on top of him setting the game back by god knows how many years, but that's just a personal grudge.
Mearls blocked me on Twitter when I asked where page 2 of the fighters character sheet was early in 5es development.

Not even mad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darksaber posted:

Mike Mearls is a performatively progressive piece of poo poo who acts concerned when you point out that he has two harassers credited as consultants, and then after everyone sends in their evidence and first-hand accounts forwards them to at least one of the harassers involved, then says that there's no evidence that they were poo poo people.

But he hired Satine Phoenix so he is now like a Voltron of progressiveness, more progressive than all other companies combined.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wouldn't claim to know much about Chaosium. I like Glorantha well enough but feel like Call of Cthulhu has outstayed its welcome by at least two decades, so I don't pay too much attention.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dawgstar posted:

But he hired Satine Phoenix so he is now like a Voltron of progressiveness, more progressive than all other companies combined.

Don’t forget to source your Zak quotes, please.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Maltose posted:

Don’t forget to source your Zak quotes, please.

Technically it came from the Adult Film Stars Play A Popular Role-Playing Game account.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Darksaber posted:

I think WotC falls into the last group as well. I think they've been making really positive and good strides when it comes to the Magic side of things, but of course the DnD side is going to be a fuckin' trash fire as long as Mearls is involved, no matter how many goddamn rainbow dragons he puts on his profile.
No. The Magic the Gathering side of WoTC is kind of a performative dumpster fire too. Never have I ever seen anyone whose sole existence of a business is dependent on MtG complain that their handling of a racist dipshit dumbass was to basically do nothing and shift all the responsibility on store owners whereas a company like Nintendo is like,"Yup this is our job. We've got this."

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 24, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. The Magic the Gathering side of WoTC is kind of a performative dumpster fire too. Never have I ever seen anyone whose sole existence of a business is dependent on MtG complain that their handling of a racist dipshit dumbass was to basically do nothing and shift all the responsibility on store owners whereas a company like Nintendo is like,"Yup this is our job. We've got this."

Ah the Jim Sterling "Teddybears full of cum" explanation.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 24, 2018

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Thinking back on it, you're right and I forgot about Woo and I think the guy you're talking about, the youtuber who made videos harassing a cosplayer? So that's on me and I'm wrong. Nintendo though? "Yup, this is our job. We'll fire the target of your harassment campaign." Great people, good guys all around.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't claim to know much about Chaosium. I like Glorantha well enough but feel like Call of Cthulhu has outstayed its welcome by at least two decades, so I don't pay too much attention.

I was rereading the CoC corebook awhile back and it's amazing how painfully obvious it is that the game is a reaction to D&D from the early 80s.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pope Guilty posted:

I was rereading the CoC corebook awhile back and it's amazing how painfully obvious it is that the game is a reaction to D&D from the early 80s.

the BRP rules certainly are, to a pretty amazing degree.

Greg Stafford, in the intro to Guide to Glorantha posted:

A friend of mine, Jeff Platt, was at a printer’s shop to pick up a catalogue where he met a guy getting his new fantasy game. Jeff bought one from Gary Gygax right at the shop. Gary told me later it was the first copy of Dungeons & Dragons ever sold. My first game, White Bear & Red Moon, was released in California at almost the same time that D&D was released. The fantasy gaming field was born. I found D&D to be almost illiterate, poorly organized and not worth my trouble to sort out.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

homullus posted:

I should have added that I understand that it's not blind. But suppose you are looking, actively and explicitly, for something outside the cisgender heterosexual white male TG pool. A blind submission that is unable (or unwilling) to excise the male gaze, or unable/unwilling to adjust language to suit the setting, isn't as good a candidate -- they will cost you more time and editing.
You have a point but that's not actually what blind auditions/blind judging is for. It's easier to understand with orchestral music as a touchstone, because that's the go-to example of it working.

For a long time hiring for orchestras was highly gendered depending on the instrument. The majority of conductors had strongly held opinions about which instruments men were good at and which women were good at, and selected musicians accordingly. They pointed to the audition process and said they were just picking the best players after all.

Then blind auditions were introduced. After a few hiccups (the heels issue garthoneeye mentioned), they got it working correctly. The conductor and other people selecting musicians because they were behind a screen, only hear their playing. Famously a particularly outspoken conductor kept vocally praising a musician for typically "male" play on a "male" instrument, and when the screen was removed it was a woman the conductor had repeatedly turned down, to the point of badmouthing her, previously. When he could only hear her music and not see her, he had nothing but praise. Of course because bigots are bigots, he immediately made excuses for why he had been fooled and why the musician was still actually inferior. But regardless the practice became standard and orchestras are much more diverse and have much better inclusion than they used to, to the point that under-representation tends to be demonstrably caused by upstream issues (i.e. who is encouraged to actually learn to play).

In any case, the goal with blind auditions/judges is to force the judges to decide on the quality of the work, without conscious or unconscious bias driving the decision. Writing unfortunately is hard to blind judge because of the factors occamsnailfile mentions. Whereas the idea of gendered styles of play in music is bullshit, unfortunately there often is a difference in writing style due to how people are socialized and the nature of medium.

Additionally there's much more a cultural preference to call a specific kind of writing in English good, and it's the kind that emulates how previous generations of cis white men wrote. How much of that is ascribing objectively good techniques as masculine and intellectual because of sexism and racism, and how much is denigrating alternative techniques because of sexism and racism, is up for grabs, but it's definitely there.

Bias can work the other way as well - selectors who are going for diversity will often, due to unconscious bias, look for stereotypes.

In any case those factors make it a lot harder to use blind auditions/judging to reduce the effects of bias in hiring writers.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is this the same guy who gets very, very upset when you don’t play Pendragon according to his one, true vision about how it should be played properly?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's right to be so. Respect Stafford.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Koba posted:

Is this the same guy who gets very, very upset when you don’t play Pendragon according to his one, true vision about how it should be played properly?

Yeah, although it’s not so much his vision as the original text

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Plutonis posted:

He's right to be so. Respect Stafford.

Nah. If Greg doesn’t approve of playing Pendragon as Sir Frodo-Wan-Kenobi, Zoroastrian cheesemonger from Constantinople, he can respectfully gently caress off.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Yeah, although it’s not so much his vision as the original text

Guess that only applies to some literary texts, or CoC would have had very detailed rules for racism.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s not out of a respect for the concept of texts, he really liked the arthurian stories. I agree about the value of going off-canon for representative reasons though.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Comrade Koba posted:

Nah. If Greg doesn’t approve of playing Pendragon as Sir Frodo-Wan-Kenobi, Zoroastrian cheesemonger from Constantinople, he can respectfully gently caress off.

Alternatively, play a game that actually supports what you want to do.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It’s not out of a respect for the concept of texts, he really liked the arthurian stories. I agree about the value of going off-canon for representative reasons though.
Current edition of Pendragon in fact gives support and advice on doing exactly that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, Pendragon has support for diversity; it just wants you to, like, play Arthurian stories, and won't really support you if you want to play things that...aren't Arthurian stories.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Palamedes is canon, but your fishmalk is unlikely to be supported.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Greg Stafford posted:

I found D&D to be almost illiterate, poorly organized and not worth my trouble to sort out.

I guess some things never change (or if they do, they change back).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is it about this industry and an utter inability to use tact!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, Pendragon has support for diversity; it just wants you to, like, play Arthurian stories, and won't really support you if you want to play things that...aren't Arthurian stories.

*Smiles Kinoko Nasuishily*

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Plutonis posted:

*Smiles Kinoko Nasuishily*

Look when it gets down to it, Nasu-verse Arthurian myth is only of middling inaccuracy when compared to hollywood depictions.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Josef bugman posted:

What is it about this industry and an utter inability to use tact!

The older people who grew up playing its games tended to be social outcasts that either didn't or weren't required to learn key social lessons or actively take pride in ignoring them and have a persecution complex

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TheChirurgeon posted:

The older people who grew up playing its games tended to be social outcasts that either didn't or weren't required to learn key social lessons or actively take pride in ignoring them and have a persecution complex

True. As much as I admire Glorantha and Greg I do think it'd be better for all of us if everyone realised we aren't the only people playing this sort of game. Though I do like the inclusion of Queer characters like the Helerings from all the way back in the early 2000's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NinjaDebugger posted:

Look when it gets down to it, Nasu-verse Arthurian myth is only of middling inaccuracy when compared to hollywood depictions.

I did not imagine that, one day, I would ever think of Mordred as Best Girl, but here we are.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Literally all Arthurian literature is fan-fiction written to suit the culture and tastes of the people writing it. Inserting modern political sensibilities into Arthurian legend is more Arthurian than attempting historical accuracy. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Literally all Arthurian literature is fan-fiction written to suit the culture and tastes of the people writing it. Inserting modern political sensibilities into Arthurian legend is more Arthurian than attempting historical accuracy. :v:

Hell, that’s what once and future king did and it’s objectively the best Arthurian story. I think the only flaw is it doesn’t have the part about Lancelot healing Sir Urry (?)’s wounds and crying as God forgave him.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Chill la Chill posted:

Hell, that’s what once and future king did and it’s objectively the best Arthurian story. I think the only flaw is it doesn’t have the part about Lancelot healing Sir Urry (?)’s wounds and crying as God forgave him.

...wasn't that the whole point of book two, the Ill-Made Knight?
That Lancelot's miracle was not the healing, but that he had been allowed a miracle at all, flawed as he was?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

"Then she saw a movement in the people near, and a mutter came, and yells.
Gentlemen began throwing their caps about, and shouting, and shaking hands. Arthur was
crying the same words again and again, holding gruff Gawaine by the elbow and putting them
into his ear. "It shut like a box! It shut like a box!"..."

"In the middle, quite forgotten, her lover was kneeling by himself. This lonely and motionless
figure knew a secret which was hidden from the others. The miracle was that he had been
allowed to do a miracle. "And ever," says Malory, "Sir Lancelot wept, as he had been a child
that had been beaten." "

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

NinjaDebugger posted:

My girlfriend was incredibly amused to find out that bishonen merlin is an rear end in a top hat fuckup who ends up ruining everything because he wanted to get laid, since that's apparently much closer than "basically gandalf".

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

spectralent posted:

My girlfriend was incredibly amused to find out that bishonen merlin is an rear end in a top hat fuckup who ends up ruining everything because he wanted to get laid, since that's apparently much closer than "basically gandalf".

I mean... that's basically the whole of arthurian literature. It's all dudes following their boners into trouble from start to end.

edit: Hell, that's huge chunks of world mythology in general.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 24, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cannibal Smiley posted:

"Then she saw a movement in the people near, and a mutter came, and yells.
Gentlemen began throwing their caps about, and shouting, and shaking hands. Arthur was
crying the same words again and again, holding gruff Gawaine by the elbow and putting them
into his ear. "It shut like a box! It shut like a box!"..."

"In the middle, quite forgotten, her lover was kneeling by himself. This lonely and motionless
figure knew a secret which was hidden from the others. The miracle was that he had been
allowed to do a miracle. "And ever," says Malory, "Sir Lancelot wept, as he had been a child
that had been beaten." "

Oh drat, so it really is the best. The second part is the one I get bored in because it doesnt have the animal parables. Can’t believe I missed this part, the healing and Lancelot crying really is one of the best parts.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NinjaDebugger posted:

I mean... that's basically the whole of arthurian literature. It's all dudes following their boners into trouble from start to end.
Pendragon captures this really well - knight PCs have well defined passions and strong personality traits that can drag them into thematically-appropriate trouble during the course of an adventure.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When you get to the later romances, it becomes all Original Knight, Do Not Steal. (seriously, it does.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I wonder what system could handle the Nasu-verse. Or how you would even broach it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Now I wonder what system could handle the Nasu-verse. Or how you would even broach it.

Fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I know someone who thought Exalted would work for it.

I let him know as politely as possible that Exalted isn't even a good fit for running an Exalted game.