Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gonna need ya'll to buy Curse of the Moon immediately so I know how it is

also boo I thought ALL the megamans came out today, but the X collection is in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Not sure if we're still using the Google Doc but feel free to toss me an add: SW-8470-7466-4705

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
SUshi Striker demo has now confirmed that there are 2 switch games that deal with food and satisfying puzzle mechanics and just-enough-anime-to-stomach. (The other being Battle Chef Brigade.)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Woooo, I'm really excited for N++

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

DLC Inc posted:

also boo I thought ALL the megamans came out today, but the X collection is in July.

I bought it on Steam and get to go home from work in ~20 minutes so I can post some impressions later. It should be the same on Switch, I assume, only better of course.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://twitter.com/Feenix7/status/999692314166444033

Go like and retweet this at Nintendo or whatever you do on Twitter to make companies do things you want them to do.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Holy cow I just played the Octopath Traveller demo and that game and s loving gorgeous. Day one buy for sure.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DLC Inc posted:

I've played the first level of CotM and it feels mechanically like an NES Castlevania game. I think if you liked CV1 or 3 you will enjoy this. Soundtrack also owns so far.

The only complaint I have from what I've played is I wish the bosses had life bars, if I die to a boss later I'll be wondering "was I close to winning, or is this going to take a lot of practice?"

The game has two "styles" to choose from at the start. One has knockback when you get hit and limited lives, the other has unlimited lives and no knockback but it explicitly says there is no penalty for choosing that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Holy cow I just played the Octopath Traveller demo and that game and s loving gorgeous. Day one buy for sure.

I've stayed away from RPGs since SNES, but that one's cozy for sure

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Tae posted:

Project Octopath new features (They're learning to do this before releasing the game this time)
-Running is automatic when you tilt the stick all the way.
-You can run even faster by pressing B while running, but it increases encounter rate
-Fast travel
-Visual changes to make moving in the environment easier
-Radar that points to entrances, exits, and important areas
-Filter settings on the brightness and on the HD-2D
-Reworked the save UI so you're less likely to overwrite a save; also you'll have 10 save slots total (One is auto-save)
-Reworked Text UI
-Added Skip function to cutscenes; replay feature to rewatch scenes
-Made Text faster, added option to adjust speed

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing that demo when it launched and everyone saying it was fun, but it had some real UI/usability issues, and the complains are almost entirely covered in that list.

Hooray for demos actually being used for feedback and not just advertisement!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't find the Mario Tennis demo (even if it's unplayable) :( Don't tell me the demo is a US only thing?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Not Operator posted:

Just because it usually goes unsaid, I'm really grateful for those posts, Zaphod.

Same! Especially when they swoop in to break up a BotW love/hate derail retread

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I heard it is only an hour or two long, can anyone confirm or deny this?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I played the octopath demo a bit and the very first encounter took something like 10 rounds to kill the random bats or whatever in the sewers. I was charging up attacks and doing what seemed like a bunch of damage. Is that normal? Once I figured out after the first two or three rounds how to alternate charged and normal attacks to keep the enemy from being able to attack, the rest of the fight was boring and felt like it took way too long.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kvlt! posted:

I heard it is only an hour or two long, can anyone confirm or deny this?

It's the same length as a classic Castlevania game yeah, there's multiple endings and difficulty unlocks though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Your Computer posted:

I can't find the Mario Tennis demo (even if it's unplayable) :( Don't tell me the demo is a US only thing?

Just a heads up, it's not a demo of Mario Tennis, it is a separate game. It won't be on the Mario Tennis page.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

I played the octopath demo a bit and the very first encounter took something like 10 rounds to kill the random bats or whatever in the sewers. I was charging up attacks and doing what seemed like a bunch of damage. Is that normal? Once I figured out after the first two or three rounds how to alternate charged and normal attacks to keep the enemy from being able to attack, the rest of the fight was boring and felt like it took way too long.

Break the enemy's defense, then follow up with a charged magic attack.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

You probably missed some gear in town to buy like I did. Also I get the impression the fights are supposed to be a bit hefty too, boss kicked my rear end the first go around.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Same, I'm in France so it maybe just the US.

Cojawfee posted:

Just a heads up, it's not a demo of Mario Tennis, it is a separate game. It won't be on the Mario Tennis page.

If that's the case it's not searchable under Mario or Tennis.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Goddamn it I really thought I was gonna play Mario Tennis today

I found the stupid unplayable demo in the Recent Releases section

chaleski fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 24, 2018

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Same! Especially when they swoop in to break up a BotW love/hate derail retread

i mean this one was really good though “worse than the CDi games” is a goons.txt contender

but also, same, i forgot about curse of the moon this week and am now excited for later

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nep-Nep posted:

The game has two "styles" to choose from at the start. One has knockback when you get hit and limited lives, the other has unlimited lives and no knockback but it explicitly says there is no penalty for choosing that.

whew, think I'll choose the 2nd option since the knockback of NES games was beyond horrific

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My favorite thing so far in Curse of the Moon is when bosses are killed they use a giant 'gently caress you' attack that isn't like their other attacks that you have to survive. They aren't instakills from what I can tell so you can tank it if you have health to spare.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So that's probably exactly why they don't have life bars.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Definitely give Sushi Strikers a shot, I tried out the demo and it definitely has the kind of appeal of that Puzzles & Dragons console edition had on the 3DS.

First time I went all touchscreen on a Switch game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone with the mario tennis demo roll your system clock forward to the demo release time and see what happens

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone with the mario tennis demo roll your system clock forward to the demo release time and see what happens

It’s tied to connecting to the server so that won’t work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Definitely give Sushi Strikers a shot, I tried out the demo and it definitely has the kind of appeal of that Puzzles & Dragons console edition had on the 3DS.

First time I went all touchscreen on a Switch game.

The downside being it's priced a little too high. But it does feel good.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
What games do people recommend for in-person multiplayer?

I'm thinking about Mario Kart 8 but I'm wondering what other good options are out there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'm thinking about Mario Kart 8 but I'm wondering what other good options are out there.

Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Rayman Legends for platformers.

Arms, Pokken, and the Street Fighter Collection coming next week for fighting games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Overcooked & Snipperclips right out the gate

Nine Parchments is not bad if you like wizards and a topdown coop magical beat-em-up

Bomberman & Rocket League possibly

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Is there a good capacitive stylus that isn't a big smooshy rubbery ball tip?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

Nine Parchments is not bad if you like wizards and a coop magical beat-em-up

Wizard of Legend fits this bill pretty well too (though I haven't tried the co-op in it yet myself)

e: Oh yeah and it just came out today but N++ should be listed with good co-op platformers as well

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 24, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hammerwatch has a Switch port, if you'd like to play Gauntlet with friends

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

I felt the same way. Like, after figuring out a good pattern for the boss the fight became really boring and took really long to kill him. Once you figure out proper patterns for specific enemies, the combat became incredibly tedious to me and not very fun.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I felt the same way. Like, after figuring out a good pattern for the boss the fight became really boring and took really long to kill him. Once you figure out proper patterns for specific enemies, the combat became incredibly tedious to me and not very fun.

This was kinda my problem with Bravely Default. There were just so many steps involved in random encounters. You could turn auto on, but my guys always took a lot more damage when I did that.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

SeANMcBAY posted:

Street Fighter Collection coming next week for fighting games.

Jesus it never ends. My poor bank account.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pug Rodeo posted:

Jesus it never ends. My poor bank account.

Seriously.

Being a Nintendo focused gamer, buying more than one game in a single month is new and scary for me.:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This was kinda my problem with Bravely Default. There were just so many steps involved in random encounters. You could turn auto on, but my guys always took a lot more damage when I did that.

I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but that just sounds like you weren't playing the game right. In addition to straight up being able to turn off random encounters, you can make your own auto battle commands which, in addition to the brave/default system, lets you completely annihilate random battles on turn 1. And you can speed it up like 10x.

Like, it's a complaint I would understand for literally every other JRPG in existence but not Bravely Default :iiam:

• Locked thread