Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Swapped the summer tires onto my Tarrandus, my 97 Ranger. When I pulled off the front left wheel, part of the hub(?) came with it.

It's held together by the lugnuts holding the wheel on. It's the same on the other side. How would these normally stay together? The brake disks were replaced a couple of months ago, this is the first time I've taken the wheels off since.

I haven't seen that before on a 2WD Ranger. Sure looks a lot like a locking hub to me. There should be a nut or threaded hole to hold it to the face of the rotors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExecuDork posted:

Swapped the summer tires onto my Tarrandus, my 97 Ranger. When I pulled off the front left wheel, part of the hub(?) came with it.

It's held together by the lugnuts holding the wheel on. It's the same on the other side. How would these normally stay together? The brake disks were replaced a couple of months ago, this is the first time I've taken the wheels off since.

Exactly like you said, it's held together by the lugnuts holding the wheel on.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I haven't seen that before on a 2WD Ranger. Sure looks a lot like a locking hub to me. There should be a nut or threaded hole to hold it to the face of the rotors.

I believe it's just a faux locking hub so they didn't have to make different parts for 2wd vs 4wd. It's like a fancy dust cap.

Spent today fiddling with the C5. I still have no marker/taillights/license plate light. I disassmbled the steering column and dash, but I can't find anything wrong with the multifunction switch. I have 12V coming in on the orange wire, 12V going out on the brown wire. If I actuate it form off to parking/headlights, the brown wire acts like it should. I put it back together, and I had a taillight pulled out to do voltage testing. I guess I jacked the bulb. I drove it to the auto parts store, and saw my uncle there. I was showing him what it was doing, and when I put the parking lights on, the headlights popped up and they were on. I think I might have jacked up the multifunction switch (got it out of position) when I disassembled it to check it out. I'll have to work on it some more tomorrow. I've hit up the Corvette forum to see if there were any ideas. I think that if I have 12V out on the brown wire, I should have lights (unless the harness/wiring is bad, which is a possiblility).

Electrical gremlins are so frustrating. Someone had serviced it in the past and broke the dash where it attached at the very left hand side. I 3d printed a little piece to fit in there, trimmed the panel and epoxied it in. Drilled a new hole, and hopefully that'll keep it from rattling and moving in the future. I also replaced all the interior lights with LEDs. I got something accomplished today.

edit 2: I just found that if I unlock the car with the remote, the lights all come on, using the Approach Lights. Now I'm convinced it's the switch. I've ordered one from Amazon.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 21, 2018

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

tehk posted:

I put some tubes on the front of my car to keep my meth safe and pulled my nose clip from the loft

Also does anyone have recommendations on removing powdercoating for welding and paint matching powder coat?

Blasting is the easiest but any abrading like wire wheels will work for smaller areas. Paint matching is just like anything else paint related unless you know the powder used and even then it's a crapshoot but if possible paint over the powder at the same time and you'll have everything match much more easily.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

She's 4WD, and that is indeed a locking hub. All four wheels were turning under power when I got extra-stuck back in March.

Dagen H posted:

Exactly like you said, it's held together by the lugnuts holding the wheel on.

Cool. I guess they were held on by layers of grime before the brake disks were changed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Compared it to a modern pickup truck.

Verdict: Modern vehicles are huge

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ground away the welds on the trailer so I could put the new frame rail in position. Just to be clear here I used no power tools to remove the old frame rail. In fact just about all of it is a pile of rust flakes on the ground.

I had intents on doing a proper restore on the trailer, but the rust and the stupid permeate every last piece of the trailer. So I'm just going to weld the frame rail in, re-add the completely messed up leaf spring shackle(s), slap it together and not give a poo poo.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I replaced the stereo with the new Sony AX5000 model and put some fancy color changing vinyl on some of my chrome pieces to see how that looks. My new emblems should be arriving in the mail soon and now I'm looking at getting my rims powder coated.

As much as I miss my old Vette being able to spend money on fun things and not just repairs is nice.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pulled the satellite antenna that someone decided to adhere with some kind of alien silicone technology right behind the convertible top. In coming off, it hosed up the paint.

My buddy is going to repaint the panel for me for cost. It's infuriating.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

Pulled the satellite antenna that someone decided to adhere with some kind of alien silicone technology right behind the convertible top. In coming off, it hosed up the paint.

My buddy is going to repaint the panel for me for cost. It's infuriating.

Why bother removing it at that point?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Made it shiny

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ordered some clay bars, new wax and some new pads for my buffer. The 4runner will be looking real good very soon. Hoping to remove some of the trail pinstripes I've accumulated from tight brush over the last year.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why bother removing it at that point?

Because it was an ugly black/silver disc (from what looks like the early days of Satellite radio) stuck right in the middle of the back deck. My plan was to remove it, clean up the adhesive, and relocate the new one to the inside of the convertible lid, where it can't be seen.

edit: as an actual bonus, I figured out the marker light/taillight problem. It's definitely the Multifunction Switch. I'd already ordered one from RockAuto under suspicion of it being the problem, but I got to thinking about it driving to a friends house in my other car. When I got in to leave, the headlights came on like they always do. It made me think about he Corvette. It has auto headlights, and they call it Twilight. You can turn it on/off in the options menu. By turning it on, you bypass the headlight switch on the column, and it used the Body Control Module to turn the lights on based on ambient light. I turned on Twilight, and boom! taillights and marker lights. it's definitely in the contacts in the steering column switch. I should be able to get it fixed in no time tomorrow.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Put it up on four wheels for the first time in many years.

Getting it ready to violate my city's bylaw against derelict vehicles.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got rid of the godawful runflat tires that were on the MINI. Scored a set of Toyos for $210 shipped to my door so I really couldn’t pass them up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

There's a hole for a countersunk screw there on the lower right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

I figured that hole might be to break a rusty rotor off a hub, but you're right. If it's threaded...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I figured that hole might be to break a rusty rotor off a hub, but you're right. If it's threaded...

Usually the hole to push off the drum/rotor isn't countersunk. My RX-7 has both the pusher robot hole (are you protected?) and a retainer screw.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

I saw that hole when I was messing with it. Any idea of the screw that goes there? What would it be called? Or does anybody know what that screw is and I could pick up a couple at the hardware store?

\/\/\/ good point. That whole thing labelled "3" is exactly the kind of thing that would come apart in my hands and spill all over the gravel driveway if I did try to do anything there.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 23, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Not pictured: any sort of hub-retaining screw. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I picked up some clay bars and a variety of buffing pads for my buffer.

Holy poo poo.

My car still has some pretty good trail scratches but it looks infinitely better.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Clay bar and replaced the cigarette lighter bezel on the MINI, plus:

Replaced the passenger side tail light.

Removed the headliner because it just randomly started dropping two days ago. Stupid BMW. When these shits let go they really don’t gently caress around about it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Geez...I thought drooping headliners were a GM specialty.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Geez...I thought drooping headliners were a GM specialty.

You obviously haven't heard of superior german adhesives.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I had a 96 XJ with a relentlessly droopy headliner. I eventually gave up on the spray adhesive approach and let it hang.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wamsutta posted:

I had a 96 XJ with a relentlessly droopy headliner. I eventually gave up on the spray adhesive approach and let it hang.

I ordered new material and loctice spray headliner adhesive but to be honest I’m not going to rush and get it done. I’m driving it around with the headliner out and it’s fine. If I were going to keep it forever I’d just leave it out but it will get sold so I’ll fix it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

You obviously haven't heard of superior german adhesives.

Or Japanese ones.

My Mazda6's headliner was more a set curtains by the end than anything.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Yesterday washed the car and took it to its natural habitat. A skyline on Skyline Blvd at the Skyline Restaurant.

Then met up with some goons and made a parade of guys two guys riding Japanese bikes, a 300ZX, Subaru Forester, the GTR and a NA Miata taking them through the twistys and back roads. It was a good time.

Got to drive the Miata. Wow those cars cabins are tiny and you cant see poo poo unless the top is down. Shifter felt great but it was a base model so no power steering and no LSD. Was fun to drive regardless but I would def want both if I got a Miata.

Edit: aaaand right as I was typing up this post it was crossposted by the other goon in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857678

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Loanarn posted:

Yesterday washed the car and took it to its natural habitat. A skyline on Skyline Blvd at the Skyline Restaurant.

Then met up with some goons and made a parade of guys two guys riding Japanese bikes, a 300ZX, Subaru Forester, the GTR and a NA Miata taking them through the twistys and back roads. It was a good time.

Got to drive the Miata. Wow those cars cabins are tiny and you cant see poo poo unless the top is down. Shifter felt great but it was a base model so no power steering and no LSD. Was fun to drive regardless but I would def want both if I got a Miata.

Edit: aaaand right as I was typing up this post it was crossposted by the other goon in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857678

drat that's clean, I hope to own one at some point. How long did it take for you to get used to driving on the right side of the car?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Loanarn posted:

Yeah, if you're taller than 5' 10", you'll probably have trouble seeing stoplights if you're right at the intersection. As far as power steering goes, I can assure you that it doesn't do nearly as much as you'd think it would in the 1.6L NA's

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Chaosfirev posted:

drat that's clean, I hope to own one at some point. How long did it take for you to get used to driving on the right side of the car?

A day or two tops. It feels really natural.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, if you're taller than 5' 10", you'll probably have trouble seeing stoplights if you're right at the intersection. As far as power steering goes, I can assure you that it doesn't do nearly as much as you'd think it would in the 1.6L NA's

If you're 6'2" like me, you literally can't get in the car with the top up, your knees are trapped between the dash and the steering wheel, and you eyes are *almost* above the top of the windshield. I can't drive an NA without some serious seat mods.
NCs were usable. NDs I haven't tried, but if they continued the trend, I should fit pretty well in them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

NBs are supposedly the smallest inside yet I'm 6'1" and fit perfectly... I'm not exactly a big lad though if you get me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Loanarn posted:

This is excellent and your car is Cool and Good. I am jealous.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

If you're 6'2" like me, you literally can't get in the car with the top up, your knees are trapped between the dash and the steering wheel, and you eyes are *almost* above the top of the windshield. I can't drive an NA without some serious seat mods.
NCs were usable. NDs I haven't tried, but if they continued the trend, I should fit pretty well in them.

I'm 6'2" (188cm), and I had no trouble taking #1Son's NA on a ~300mi trip. :shrug: (I went and picked up a hardtop, so the trip was half topless and half hardtopped.)

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 24, 2018

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

6'1" former (Madzaspeed) NB driver here: I never would have passed the broomstick test with anything resembling a stock seat, my thighs were almost touching the steering wheel at all times, and my hair touched the roof over bumps, but that didn't stop me from driving the car. New ones do seem better.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

187cm tall here with an even split for height between legs and torso and I do not pass the broomstick test in the ND Miata (Soft top and RF). I fit with relative comfort however. I am looking out of the top 25% of the windshield with the seat lowered as much as possible.
With the RF, I am positive that my head would make contact with the roof over any bump. Plenty of legroom though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

I'm 6'2" (188cm), and I had no trouble taking #1Son's NA on a ~300mi trip. :shrug: (I went and picked up a hardtop, so the trip was half topless and half hardtopped.)

I'm pretty evenly split between legs and torso. I tried to drive my roomie's NA once, long ago. Quit trying when I could only work the clutch with my toes. As a passenger, I had to hunch down to keep my head out of the airstream. I dunno.

edit: I drove an NC at one of the Mazda driving events without too much issue. Still a little tight in the footwell.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

I'm pretty evenly split between legs and torso. I tried to drive my roomie's NA once, long ago. Quit trying when I could only work the clutch with my toes. As a passenger, I had to hunch down to keep my head out of the airstream. I dunno.

I've got a 34" inseam and size 13's. To your point, though, I never said it was comfortable. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Loanarn posted:

:fap:

Today I took it to the beach.