Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

most startups are, ultimately :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaman Linavi posted:

sry but i will respect the integrity of the challenge and instead post of a meme of similar quality

a no-name poster i've never seen before dumping reddit bullshit into an otherwise useful thread

this is cool and good and definitely constructive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

and then they turn around and get mad when they can’t find a “perfect pick” and the closest ones to that are missing X technology or have Y-2 years of experience

this is a temporary problem

some day you will be the one with the experience and the desired technology background. there is no substitute for time and effort

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a no-name poster i've never seen before dumping reddit bullshit into an otherwise useful thread

this is cool and good and definitely constructive

yeah on sa people actually read the posts they are responding to sometimes

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah on sa people actually read the posts they are responding to sometimes

Not reading the posts he responds to is nbsd's latest gimmick.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i have atoned for my sins against memes and would like to say i feel fukken great about my interview tomorrow at house of zuck and am looking forward to turning into a gibbering man-ape when I pick up a marker

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve heard they’re a house built on php and c++, is there anything to this?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'd just like to revel in the fact image macros got popular enough that posting them is generally frowned upon in these forums

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Shaman Linavi posted:

i have atoned for my sins against memes and would like to say i feel fukken great about my interview tomorrow at house of zuck and am looking forward to turning into a gibbering man-ape when I pick up a marker

GL, show those zuckers what you're made of.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
facebook created a terrifying unaccountable panopticon privy to everybody's deepest darkest secrets but otoh they created react so i mean it's a bit of a wash really

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sapozhnik posted:

facebook created a terrifying unaccountable panopticon privy to everybody's deepest darkest secrets but otoh they created react so i mean it's a bit of a wash really

Facebook is bad; but it also made a javascript framework which is also bad, so its impossible to say if its bad or not

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Got an onsite interview at the "we release to production 3 times a day" joint downtown. I'm pretty keen to hear how frequently they are fighting fires.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i had stuff roll to prod everyday before, but that was with a day of soaking before each release. worked fine

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Progressive JPEG posted:

i had stuff roll to prod everyday before, but that was with a day of soaking before each release. worked fine

I think it could work if you have lots of automated tests, I'm getting the feeling they might be on the dark side with that though. Good chance to find out though.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

qhat posted:

I think it could work if you have lots of automated tests, I'm getting the feeling they might be on the dark side with that though. Good chance to find out though.

who cares? if their ci/cd pipeline is good enough bugfixes can be rolled out in a matter of minutes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

One of our clients has me coming in to help them with interviewing candidates and it's been an interesting experience being on the other side of the table for the first time. Also this is probably the best way to do it because I'm literally not allowed to give any feedback on the interviews, they just sit in on them and judge how the candidate responds to my questions. So there's zero pressure on me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

the whole premise of ci/cd and multiple daily deployments is that you're rolling out small changes very often. in theory the smaller changes are easier to review, and thus less likely to have bugs. a side aspect is that if you do break something, it should take only a few minutes more than it takes to fix the bug in the code to get it rolled out.

there's a whole bunch of things that go with it (lots of automated tests, vetting things in a staging environment, people actually reviewing prs instead of auto-merging) to reach that point. but ultimately, I really prefer it to most of the alternatives I've experienced.

one of the places I interviewed apparently does after hours deploys once every couple weeks, and the whole process takes an hour or so. that's a pretty big negative to me really

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

EVGA Longoria posted:

the whole premise of ci/cd and multiple daily deployments is that you're rolling out small changes very often. in theory the smaller changes are easier to review, and thus less likely to have bugs. a side aspect is that if you do break something, it should take only a few minutes more than it takes to fix the bug in the code to get it rolled out.

there's a whole bunch of things that go with it (lots of automated tests, vetting things in a staging environment, people actually reviewing prs instead of auto-merging) to reach that point. but ultimately, I really prefer it to most of the alternatives I've experienced.

one of the places I interviewed apparently does after hours deploys once every couple weeks, and the whole process takes an hour or so. that's a pretty big negative to me really

What do you do when you need to roll out something more substantial?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

qhat posted:

incremental rollouts with feature flags or reconsider the "thing" entirely and determine if it needs to actually be deployed all at once. usually producing services and persistence layers can be rolled out and validated before consumers, etc.

this process requires really good build tooling for a monolith or decent tooling for microservices

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah the feather in my cap on a big client i worked last year was cracking the whip over a team of about 50 to get them over to a ci/cd pipeline. it was a colossal pain in the rear end dealing with all the whining and stubbornness from both the qa and developers with a shitload of set backs. once we actually got there though they realized that the crazy increased reliability and predictability of our deployments meant no more all-night emergency frenzies plugging shitloads of holes after a massive deployment. their management noticed a large upswing in productivity as well due to the huge drop in reworking lovely code.

i'm not gonna downplay how much of a pain it is getting a team that's not used to it switched over though. it took over half a year of dealing with lovely cowboy coders, qas who refused to learn how to automate, and business analysts who refused to actually write down AND UPDATE their requirements. it's definitely worth it though- just try to make it someone else's responsibility if you can

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i was doing well until someone said something about hundreds of millions of dollars and the whole scale of everything hit me and then during the last coding segment i forgot about the advanced cs concept of CompareTo

so if you saw some loser walking up bayfront expressway in an attempt to become one with nature that was me

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

double posting to say I was super ready to talk about GDPR and zuck69s talk in europe yesterday but it never really came up

probably for the better

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lol at being scared of deploying, you cowards

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Continuous deployment is fine for 99.9% of web apps because it doesn't matter at all if they're broken.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah the feather in my cap on a big client i worked last year was cracking the whip over a team of about 50 to get them over to a ci/cd pipeline. it was a colossal pain in the rear end dealing with all the whining and stubbornness from both the qa and developers with a shitload of set backs. once we actually got there though they realized that the crazy increased reliability and predictability of our deployments meant no more all-night emergency frenzies plugging shitloads of holes after a massive deployment. their management noticed a large upswing in productivity as well due to the huge drop in reworking lovely code.

i'm not gonna downplay how much of a pain it is getting a team that's not used to it switched over though. it took over half a year of dealing with lovely cowboy coders, qas who refused to learn how to automate, and business analysts who refused to actually write down AND UPDATE their requirements. it's definitely worth it though- just try to make it someone else's responsibility if you can

My case is the opposite. Getting the developers on board was easy, but getting the management to even recognise that CI is more than just a luxury was really difficult and honestly the people that matter still aren't fully on board. To them, anything that distracts developers from producing the fastest possible release right now is not worth spending time on. The irony is that's exactly the thing the developers are trying to do lol.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

qhat posted:

like it was mentioned, this goes along with an iterative approach. “thin slice” is the term people love to throw around.

that said if you DO need a big change, because it’s foundational or structured in such a way that it’s all or nothing, you just add more process time. I replaced our session framework at work, which really just meant putting together an in person code review and ordering lunch for the group. nothing about ci or cd requires that you deploy 3x a day or anything.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaman Linavi posted:

i was doing well until someone said something about hundreds of millions of dollars and the whole scale of everything hit me and then during the last coding segment i forgot about the advanced cs concept of CompareTo

so if you saw some loser walking up bayfront expressway in an attempt to become one with nature that was me

yeah this happens to me when i think about the thing i am working on already being sold to customers

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I seriously bombed my 2nd tech screen for a company yesterday. I knew it was a valley company and they had some of that ridiculous algorithm interview stuff in them, but this was just especially rough for a front end developer.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

EVGA Longoria posted:

like it was mentioned, this goes along with an iterative approach. “thin slice” is the term people love to throw around.

that said if you DO need a big change, because it’s foundational or structured in such a way that it’s all or nothing, you just add more process time. I replaced our session framework at work, which really just meant putting together an in person code review and ordering lunch for the group. nothing about ci or cd requires that you deploy 3x a day or anything.

This sounds like a super healthy working environment. I will totally crib the idea of in person, bribed (with food) code reviews for a few devs at once.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Although, CI is continuous integration which is easy to do several times a day even with large codebases. CD is the continuous deployment part, which does suggest several daily deploys.

Which is why I've seen CI thrown around as a great option for all cases, and CD be less universal.

I still haven't heard a good answer to how you do CD when you have literally eight hours of automated tests or, good forbid, flakey tests peppered throughout your eight hour automated test suite.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TimWinter posted:

Although, CI is continuous integration which is easy to do several times a day even with large codebases. CD is the continuous deployment part, which does suggest several daily deploys.

Which is why I've seen CI thrown around as a great option for all cases, and CD be less universal.

I still haven't heard a good answer to how you do CD when you have literally eight hours of automated tests or, good forbid, flakey tests peppered throughout your eight hour automated test suite.

if the tests are taking too long you need to beef up your test server or parallelize the tests. if your tests are flakey then write better tests

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

e: woops this isn't the terrible programmer thred5

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Rex-Goliath posted:

if the tests are taking too long you need to beef up your test server or parallelize the tests. if your tests are flakey then write better tests
Large distributed systems can legitimately have tests that take a long amount of time. Some problems don't happen until you hit a particular size and complexity, and then you need a few large integration tests to cover the intersection of all that stuff.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that sounds like something a really bad programmer would say hth

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'll see you better tests and raise you more tests.
Cause I always got more tests.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

that sounds like something a really bad programmer would say hth

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lol at 8 hours of tests

Those are bad tests

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Lol at 8 hours of tests

Those are bad tests

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Is the idea that you don't need to compile or deploy your software before you do integration or e2e tests?

I'm bringing my ignorance to the bad programmer thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Lol at 8 hours of tests

Those are bad tests

in hardware sims 8 hours is actually pretty short for a full soc. most of our turnin gate regression lists on a big project take 24-48 hrs.

do a turnin, work on something else for two days, see if it got through the turnin pipeline, repeat.