Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

tuo posted:

My E71 X6 (non-LCI) suddenly decided to no longer store my steering wheel settings in memory. It worked without a flaw, and still works if the car sits for only couple of minutes, if it sits longer, it looses the info for the wheel (seats work fine though).

Basically, I move the wheel were I want it to, save it at for example memory slot 1, and stop the car. Wheel moves to the most forward and up position as it normally does for easy exit/entry, but when the car sits for about 15 minutes and I enter it again and start the car, the wheel does not move back to the original position but remains at the "furthest out, furthest up".

I can't see any errors for it in the log. Anybody has a clue? Alternatively, does anyone know if one can disable the steering wheel memory function via coding, so it simply sits where I move it, and doesn't do the "move forward and up at car exit" thing?

e: this happens with both keys/profiles, thus both memory slots.

ee: also, battery seems fine.

hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

hahahahahaha

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

hahahahahaha

not empty quoting

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

voltron posted:

What would you expect or say is a fair cost range to expect for new rotors and pads all around for an E46 M3?

Price out the basic rear and front Powerstop kits from Rockauto. That's more or less your price barometer. You can go higher, all the way to premium bespoke rotors hand turned by a German metal warlock, or lower for a chunk of melted down dumpster from China.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This sounds both good and normal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10JngbGk25Q

I guess I now have the rare diesel option M42

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
sick exhaust leak, bro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Eh, torque the spark plugs down a bit, be fine.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The lack of oil pressure is really the concerning part, I think. I had a shop do a bunch of little work to it that I was too lazy for, and had left it at the shop for 2 months as I drive my 325is' in the summer. Got about 30 miles from home going 60mph no problem, slowed down and I noticed this awful noise. Then I got it towed and I'll see what the shop says :suicide:

It's not worth putting a different motor in, this is a 4 door and the doors and rear valence are rusting. Worst case, a friend has a running M42 for sale from a parts car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh. poo poo. It sounded like a really bad exhaust leak when I was at work, now I hear what I assume sounds like really obvious bottom end tick in person.

Pour one out :(

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Crunchy Black posted:

hahahahahaha

:negative:

it least I was able to solve it yesterday. loving eletronics in modern cars.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How on earth is amazon so inexpensive for parts these days? It's basically the same price as rmeuropean when converted to CAD, except I don't have to deal with import taxes or driving to the states to pick them up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm thinking about getting an E46 M3 as a track car. Gonna go check one out tomorrow after work. What are the things I should be looking out for? I know the water pump likes to go out on the 3-series.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Subframe mount reinforcement plates done PROPERLY or (preferrably) the Vince Bar solution installed.
Upgraded or replaced VANOS hubs.

If you're planning on buying a straight up street car... don't. Unless you like throwing away money. Buy a sorted track car.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rear subframe is the big one I know about, which looks like a giant pain in the rear end to look at, although it could have been repaired too.

There's nothing you can look at with the water pump, if you get in, drive it around for fifteen minutes and the car doesn't overheat then it's working. If it's been replaced and it's metal then that's good, if it's been replaced with the OEM part and there's a dated receipt then that's slightly less good. same with the radiator expansion tank and tbh anything else plastic on the car

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
To be honest, I wouldn't buy an E46 M3 as a track car unless it already had at least a rear roll bar that was already tied into the subframe mounts.
poo poo is expensive.

e: Oh, ask about the rod bearings.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 24, 2018

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
E46 track car is gonna suck for consumable cost. And as mentioned, it needs reinforcement done and a bunch of other preventative stuff with the S54.

If you want a track car, get a miata with a rollbar. If you want a fast track car, put a K24 in a miata.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have an e46 M3 that is a street car and echoing what other are saying unless you really really love the e46 you're probably better off getting an e9x for the track. The e46 M3 is my all time favourite car, it's such a joy to drive but they are in high demand and go for a premium.

Subframe reinforcement, I went with the PSDesigns welded subframe kit. Lucky for m there is a very reputable shop nearby (helped codesign the PSDesign kit) that's done dozens of subframes.

VANOS overhaul, checkout Besian Systems for a huge in-depth explanation of the problem/process.

Cooling system overhaul; waterpump, thermostat and expansion tank.

Also rod bearings, get proof that they've been serviced either during the BMW service "recall" or you'll need to have them done. If you're tracking the car it's advised to get Blackstone oil samples every oil change to check for metal indicating bearing wear. It's considered by track people to be a wear item every ~80k miles.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

If you want a track car, get a miata with a rollbar. If you want a fast track car, put a K24 in a miata.

Or a c5 Vette. They're not that expensive any more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A C5 Corvette is ABSURDLY capable, can be found under $10k, and is probably one of the cheaper spec classes you can run now. Spec Corvette, like $20k to build a car, all in. This is cheap.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 24, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, I'm not really looking to race yet though. This is just gonna be baby's first HPDE car, maybe some simple time trial stuff once in awhile, otherwise its gonna sit covered in a garage. Maybe take it to car meets once in awhile too.

In like a year or two once I've gotten some experience under my belt I may flip it and buy a used racecar or try to build one, but for now I'm not quite ready for a spec series. Just want something road legal and RWD with a bit of power, but nothing too crazy or heavily modded yet.

I know I could get a corvette or a mustang instead, maybe I'm being a little dumb but the M3 seems more my style.

I'll jack it up and try to inspect the sub-frame, if there's any cracking I'll just say hell no and get out of there. As long as there's no cracks, I still have enough left in my budget that I wouldn't mind having to reinforce it.

Otherwise gonna drive it a bit and make sure the engine sounds good through the revs, connect an OBD2 and see if it throws any codes. If the VANOS needs re-building at some point that also wouldn't be the worst thing ever. I kinda miss having a project car to work on... (although I might have just jinxed myself)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can't just jack it up to inspect the subframe. The problem isn't the subframe itself it's the mounting points of the subframe to the carrier panel and it's covered up by the subframe so you can't inspect it without removing the entire subframe.

In my opinion getting the subframe reinforced isn't really an optional thing, especially if you're going to track it. You really ought to have it done. My car which only has 70k miles on it and hasn't been driven particularly hard even had a small crack when I took it in to have a kit installed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Popete posted:

You can't just jack it up to inspect the subframe. The problem isn't the subframe itself it's the mounting points of the subframe to the carrier panel and it's covered up by the subframe so you can't inspect it without removing the entire subframe.

In my opinion getting the subframe reinforced isn't really an optional thing, especially if you're going to track it. You really ought to have it done. My car which only has 70k miles on it and hasn't been driven particularly hard even had a small crack when I took it in to have a kit installed.

Yeah I'm prepared to reinforce it, I just figured if it was already cracked and needed the floor replaced that's a whole other deal.

If you can't inspect it then I guess I gotta roll the dice on that one, or at least i'll try shifting the weight around and see if I hear any clicking noises.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just got done chasing down a bunch of rich greyhairs at a PCA track day in my $4500 e36 m3. It's been very reliable and pretty good on consumables. The s52 is down on power compared to the s54 but it's much cheaper to run. The e36 subframe issues are not as bad as the e46 and are not a problem on the m3s.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm prepared to reinforce it, I just figured if it was already cracked and needed the floor replaced that's a whole other deal.

If you can't inspect it then I guess I gotta roll the dice on that one, or at least i'll try shifting the weight around and see if I hear any clicking noises.

Yeah if you go into it knowing you're gonna reinforce the subframe it doesn't really matter too much. You just wanna be sure it's not cracking too badly and the floor pan isn't sagging. You might visually be able to see if it's cracking a lot but I'm not %100 sure on that, you definitely won't see all of it though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

User Error posted:

I just got done chasing down a bunch of rich greyhairs at a PCA track day in my $4500 e36 m3. It's been very reliable and pretty good on consumables. The s52 is down on power compared to the s54 but it's much cheaper to run. The e36 subframe issues are not as bad as the e46 and are not a problem on the m3s.

The other nice thing is there will basically always be someone else (usually multiple people) with one, so you kinda have someone to run with and talk to about driving/setup/etc. E46 M3, not so much. I've only seen a handful of E46 M3s locally in the last two years.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The other nice thing is there will basically always be someone else (usually multiple people) with one, so you kinda have someone to run with and talk to about driving/setup/etc. E46 M3, not so much. I've only seen a handful of E46 M3s locally in the last two years.

Ha yeah, there were 4 of us I think. One had an s54 swap. Second time I've seen one of those in as many track days. Unfortunately this was my first track day with the Porsche club so I got stuck in a different run group than the other e36 guys.

User Error fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2018

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Buy the m3 and reinforce subframe mounts and do ur shells
Then pull all the weight out
Then get brakes and coilies
Then troll some rich ppl in Ferrari’s
Then blow it up
Then spend all ur disposable cash making it even faster
Then get married for some reason
???????????????????

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Made a small amount of sense up until step 7

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Made a small amount of sense up until step 7

She’s a good egg really

Yo I’m gonna hire a gt3 in yo town If this “toro” app is real

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If its just gonna be babbys first HPDE ride and you've got no experience in an e46 chassis, get a ZHP with the 6-speed, run it for a few months/year, and if you like it detail it, sell it for what you bought it for, and get the m3. hth

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Get a techno violet or estoril e36 M3 and be a boss

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Buy an E30.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

She’s a good egg really

Yo I’m gonna hire a gt3 in yo town If this “toro” app is real

sweet, you can come pick me up. It seems to be legit, I've talked to people who've used it.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

My e30 has a clutch pedal that falls immediately to the floor and stays there. See a bit of evidence of leaking around the pedal areas, and the boot around the clutch master is torn up - safe to assume I need to replace this?

Anything else commonly cause the symptoms I’m seeing? Debating replacing both master and slave since afaik they’re both original.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just got the quote sheet from my indy BMW shop for a suspension refreshening on my E46 330ci and :captainpop:. Normally this shop is very reasonably priced and does great honest work, but:

Front struts + mounts + spring pads + etc: $1430
Front control arms (won't do just bushings, understandably): $1245
Rear shocks + mounts: $860
Rear trailing arm bushings: $575

That's over $4k and not even a "total" overhaul. Holy gently caress, do they just really not want to do this work? No way I'm spending over 4k on OEM-equivalent suspension work on this old car. Am I off base in thinking that sounds high?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 25, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Uhhhhh those prices are insane. I bought a coilover kit online ($1k) and well having my subframe reinforced asked them to throw it in for me and they charged me $150, granted the rear was already being disassembled for the reinforcement but I think he said just doing a coilover install alone was normally $250.

I had basically my entire e46 M3 suspension replaced for ~$1500 after parts and labor (Coilovers, RTABs, rear shock mounts). The only thing I haven't done is the front control arms, but the parts are ~$300 and I can do it myself.

e36/e46 suspension is pretty straightforward to work on. The front control arms are usually replaced whole because it's a piece of cake that way. Rear RTABs are easy enough for a shop if they have a press the parts for a suspension overhaul shouldn't run you over $1k for a non-M3 I'd think. If you're doing it at home just buy the MSI RTBA tool for $100 and it's a breeze. The rest of it is pretty easy, just need to take it in for an alignment.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 25, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, unfortunately I live in an apartment with a strict "no car work" rule. I can get away with small stuff but I don't think having the car on jackstands for a weekend will fly. Don't really have a great alternative location, either.

I'm willing to pay a shop a fair rate, but this quote sounds absurdly high. May have to get a second opinion...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For reference this is about what it would cost in parts to entirely overhaul your suspension.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/front-and-rear-suspension-refresh-kit-level-3/e463112-lvl3~kt/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aren't all those Meyle parts junk though, or am I thinking of a different brand?

I don't think it's the parts price that is killing me on this quote, even though it's all OEM. I think it's high book rates on labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Guinness posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I live in an apartment with a strict "no car work" rule.

What the fuckin hell?!