Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

car: *barreling down on pedestrian thinking quietly to itself* "SOMEBODY SLAM ON THE BRAKES but not me I'm just the ideas classifier stack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the one time being extremely online has ever backfired

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FMguru posted:

you know of all the ways i imagined 1984 coming true i never once considered that people would happily fill their houses with remote monitoring devices - and pay for them! - just to make their ability to order bulk diapers or cat food 2% easier

i wish more poo poo from brave new world would start manifesting. i'd really dig some easily obtained soma 'bout now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

i wish more poo poo from brave new world would start manifesting. i'd really dig some easily obtained soma 'bout now.

wtf do you think oxy is

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

maybe not so much with centrifugal bumble-puppy tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Uptime Sinclair posted:

maybe not so much with centrifugal bumble-puppy tho
wtf do you think fortnite is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

Ultimate Pleasure Drug heroin has been a thing for awhile now man

pregnant women can even use it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FMguru posted:

wtf do you think fortnite is
i don't know much about it but pretty sure it's not played by nude children in large groups

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao, my friend who is a financial advisor just sent me this response when I send this to her

quote:

There are financial advisers who have these in their offices. They should probably scratch out the "confidential relationship" part of their agreements and privacy policies.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i don't know much about it but pretty sure it's not played by nude children in large groups

its my understanding that that is precisely what it is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lmao Amazon and all that but the article used the phrase “de-commission your conversations” which means she had the things set up to make phone calls.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Ultimate Pleasure Drug heroin has been a thing for awhile now man

pregnant women can even use it

it’s good for them. they should make sure to take their heroin every day so the baby grows up strong and healthy

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i was riding my bike on a residential street the other day and heard a car approach from the rear, so i moved over a little bit to be like "ok go around" but it just stayed back there. so i turn to see it's a waymo van, and it's just slowly following me for a bit. then suddenly it accelerated and whipped around me and pulled up to a stop sign. I wasn't that far behind at that point, and there were no other cars but it just sat there. I passed it on the right, went through the intersection, and only then did it finally go.

seemed hella timid, but beats getting run over i guess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
if you ride in one they drive like grandmas

turns out that one of the problems with human drivers is that they engage in risky unsafe behavior on the reg in a car

they also operate p uncomfortably for the passengers. hoverwife said it felt like a teenager just learning not to slam on the brakes or cut the wheel into turns and stuff

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

guess that logical leap to figuring out how alexa knows when you say "hey alexa" to make it do something was a leap to far

, he dictated to his phone.

ate all the Oreos posted:

shaggar was totally the kind of kid that carries around a backpack full of every single book they need for class plus a bit extra too i bet

Lol I was so that kid.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
move fast and dont break for things

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

you know of all the ways i imagined 1984 coming true i never once considered that people would happily fill their houses with remote monitoring devices - and pay for them! - just to make their ability to order bulk diapers or cat food feel like it's maybe 2% easier while actually being a worse experience

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you ride in one they drive like grandmas

turns out that one of the problems with human drivers is that they engage in risky unsafe behavior on the reg in a car

they also operate p uncomfortably for the passengers. hoverwife said it felt like a teenager just learning not to slam on the brakes or cut the wheel into turns and stuff

this is a thing that's come to mind many times while driving; like going through a T-intersection with people turning right and doing the usual maybe-ill-just-cruise-through-without-even-stopping maneuver but I just kind of make the decision to continue because I am just biasing myself to believe they won't do it all the time (until they do)

so either the machine has to be smart enough to make the correct decision based on its ability to judge what the other car is doing better than a human can, which maybe it can with better sensors than our plain old biological ones, or it has to assume the same risk i am to have the same... fluidity? while driving and in that case would be not really any safer in that situation than a human driver

they'll probably go with the fluidity option (unless they make human driving illegal) because self driving cars are all about robotic chauffeurs and not safety :shrug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

wtf do you think oxy is

i'm an upstanding normie tho. i need something i can just go to the store and grab otc that's also socially acceptable to pop

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

wtf do you think oxy is

soma was explicitly a hallucinogen, closer to LSD but with significantly more euphoric properties, because Huxley fuckin' loved hallucinogens more than anything

TimWinter posted:

Lol I was so that kid.

me too

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

i'm an upstanding normie tho. i need something i can just go to the store and grab otc that's also socially acceptable to pop

so get some suburban mom drugs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/nicolerussell91/status/947687140170846208

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

so get some suburban mom drugs

that is lsd now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah wow itd be a real shame if marijuana had a moronic subculture churning out tons of worthless bullshit tchotchkes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i never thought i would say it but im kind of annoyed that weed is "legal" in california now

like california was the place where smoking was pretty much dead but legal weed means its all come back around and people are smoking everywhere and its like being in the midwest again

only its weed smell instead of tobacco so yeahhhh

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lancemantis posted:

i never thought i would say it but im kind of annoyed that weed is "legal" in california now

like california was the place where smoking was pretty much dead but legal weed means its all come back around and people are smoking everywhere and its like being in the midwest again

only its weed smell instead of tobacco so yeahhhh

:kiddo:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it actually fuckin sucks because weed was way cheaper when it just mmj and wasnt being taxed like 40%. also my favorite edibles got discontinued after legalization, so gently caress to california.

also i took my bay area raised gf to chicago last month and she was fuckin horrified by all the smokers tho lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

from when i was living in san jose i will always consider the golden age of weed to be like 2010 when there were no regulations on mmj dispensaries and there were more of them than 7/11s or starbuks :911:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

my bitter bi rival posted:

it actually fuckin sucks because weed was way cheaper when it just mmj and wasnt being taxed like 40%.

:qq: :qq: :qq:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sweet.

even as a chronic sadbrains with low-level depression, i always did quite well on hallucinogens. no bad trips.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
paying taxes is ok

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
feels like there's a weird disconnect with smoking weed in peoples heads too; like I was hiking through saratoga gap a month or so ago and there was some cyclist taking a break and chatting on his phone in the rest stop/"viewing area" at the 9-35 intersection sneaking in pulls

that seems a little counterproductive man

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the dukes of hazard remake will have them growing bootleg weed and the general saddam will have an isis flag on the roof

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fits my needs posted:

paying taxes is ok

in general i very much agree

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

That's right.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

feels like there's a weird disconnect with smoking weed in peoples heads too; like I was hiking through saratoga gap a month or so ago and there was some cyclist taking a break and chatting on his phone in the rest stop/"viewing area" at the 9-35 intersection sneaking in pulls

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

paying taxes is ok

actually its the government stealing from you since you never signed a contract agreeing to pay those taxes

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lancemantis posted:

maybe people like to enjoy their leisure activities instead of min/maxing efficiency

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DataProgress/status/999706733865037824

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

smoking weed and riding a bike is... good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh cool its steve from blues clues and some other dude who's wrapped cling film around his head for some reason

cool