Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ahhhhh gently caress ME these fuckers

so... let me just pull up issue 26069 on homebrew's issue tracker

hmm whats the title?

"Wine: Remove X11"

status... closed.... changes... merged...

cool. good. lol thats great. i enjoy the the black screens of the macdriver instead of the fmvs of x11 driver in the game im trying to play here.

ok. ok. ive wasted time here, thnks homebrew. it was super clear it was being built without x11 support. thats noice

anyway thanks Notorious b.s.d. for helping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
trying to write a grok filter to match sudo messages in syslog- this is what we have currently:

code:
(<%{POSINT:syslog_pri}>)?%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp}\s*%{IPORHOST:sudo_host}\s*sudo:\s*%{USERNAME:sudo_user}\s*:\s*(%{SUDO_DENIED:sudo_errmsg})?\s*(:|;)\s*TTY=%{DATA:sudo_tty}\s*;\s*PWD=%{DATA:sudo_pwd}\s*;\s*USER=%{DATA:sudo_targetuser}\s*;\s*COMMAND=%{GREEDYDATA:sudo_command}

SUDO_DENIED=user NOT in sudoers|user NOT authorized on host|command not allowed|3 incorrect password attempts|a password is required|sorry, you are not allowed to set the following environment variables
the filter matches every field in a failed sudo command, but for a successful one it only matches up to TTY=

any ideas? :smith:

edit: here's the sample data we're using to match:

code:
<81>2018-05-22T16:23:11-04:00 fake-host-01.domain.tld sudo: username1 : command not allowed ; TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/usr/home/username1 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=netstat
<85>2018-05-22T17:56:40-04:00 fake-host-02.domain.tld sudo:   username2 : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/usr/local/etc/path ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/netstat -an

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 22, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I hosed up my MacBook Air trying to reformat it and install high sierra and now it won’t boot to the recovery thingy. welp

I have my work mbp which I downloaded the High Sierra installer on. I used the usb creator tool to copy it to a flash drive and slapped it into the mba. it gets about 2/3 of the way through the loading bar and then gives me a middle finger prohibitory sign. uhhh he;lp

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
can anyone tell me whats causing this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

graph posted:

no and also you can't even google search it:
https://www.google.com/search?q="blocked+because+of+admin+action"+"your+system+administrator+has+blocked+your+computer+or+device.+please+contact+the+system+administrator."&tbs=li:1

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anthonypants posted:

no and also you can't even google search it:

yup

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

you should have given him a yahoo search link

http://lmbtfy.com/?s=y&q=your+system+administrator+has+blocked+your+computer+or+device.+please+contact+the+system+administrator.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
it's worth noting the source code for that is a single line of dumb html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hosed up my MacBook Air trying to reformat it and install high sierra and now it won’t boot to the recovery thingy. welp

I have my work mbp which I downloaded the High Sierra installer on. I used the usb creator tool to copy it to a flash drive and slapped it into the mba. it gets about 2/3 of the way through the loading bar and then gives me a middle finger prohibitory sign. uhhh he;lp

Sounds like your MB Air isn't compatible to High Sierra.

Maybe try a PRAM reset

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
everyone stop writing "it's that easy" or any variant there of in technical documentation or i'll claw your eyes out

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gazpacho posted:

everyone stop writing "it's that easy" or any variant there of in technical documentation or i'll claw your eyes out

similarly, tutorials written on medium with half the code left out and no repo link are such poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

similarly, tutorials written on medium with half the code left out and no repo link are such poo poo
a blog or forum post which describes a symptom and claims the issue can be resolved, but provides a link or hotlinks screenshots to a long-dead site instead of rehosting any content

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

Gazpacho posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/restofthefuckingowl/

its a good one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

a blog or forum post which describes a symptom and claims the issue can be resolved, but provides a link or hotlinks screenshots to a long-dead site instead of rehosting any content

sure is nice how photobucket randomly decided 99.9% of images hosted with them exceed the "external transfer limit" and require whatever dead guy posted them originally to go back and reenable their accounts to pay for them to show.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lowtax was right

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
waffleimages :argh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
so windows creators update 1803 ate my hard drive and put it in a boot loop

took the drive out and ofc another machine asks if i want to format bad sector, bad

so far i've tried easeUS partition recovery which took 2 hours to tell me it couldn't find a single file and now i'm trying testdisk

any practical advice on how to get my data back? am i missing something obvious or am i borked?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

syscall girl posted:

took the drive out and ofc another machine asks if i want to format bad sector, bad

so far i've tried easeUS partition recovery which took 2 hours to tell me it couldn't find a single file and now i'm trying testdisk

any practical advice on how to get my data back? am i missing something obvious or am i borked?

soemtimes you can recreate the partition table with parted or fdisk or whatever and it will magically work, or use ddrescue to actually do some scanning. worst case, if no data is deleted, is you get a million files with no name (this happened to my dad with a dodgy ssd)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

syscall girl posted:

recuva is ok and free, getdatabackntfs is good and paid (but has a free trial to see if it can recover your poo poo, i think), gddrescue is most thorough but also linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001

syscall girl posted:

install linux?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Windows updates aren't formatting disks as a common issue, it sounds like a hardware problem. Does the smart show any problems

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lampey posted:

Windows updates aren't formatting disks as a common issue, it sounds like a hardware problem. Does the smart show any problems

oh it's definitely a hardware problem, it just happened during the installation for some reason

you're my boy wd blue :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOEqCIA-DrA

odd that the file recovery utilities can see the bad sector, size it up and spin it but nothing

windows won't touch it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Never use WD products imo.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

R studio is the best software for recovery but if receuva doesnt work odds of success are slim

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lampey posted:

R studio is the best software for recovery but if receuva doesnt work odds of success are slim

i saw "r studio is the best software" and was ready to fight you until i read the rest of the sentence

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

didn't last a year

i looked up price/reliability comparisons for all the major manufacturers but must have got some bad data :haw:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

i've had more problems with seagate disks than wd but it's completely arbitrary. someone is going to have the exact opposite experience

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

i've had more problems with seagate disks than wd but it's completely arbitrary. someone is going to have the exact opposite experience

Just use HGST drives.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

Just use HGST drives.
you know last year i bought a bunch of hgst sas disks and one of the eight was bad from the factory. take that as you will

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
wow its almost like none of the three remaining hard drive manufacturers are good, because platter drives are bad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

you know last year i bought a bunch of hgst sas disks and one of the eight was bad from the factory. take that as you will

Better have a doa than have it fail in production.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
use raid you fools

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

use raid you fools

don't i know it

this was an old laptop though that i was using as a plex server (stupid yes, cheap yes but waste not want not or something)

couldn't get the disk enclosure that replaced the optical drive to work so it was a single disk jobby

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

spankmeister posted:

Better have a doa than have it fail in production.
Why would you have any production setup where a single disk going bad affected you in any way other than marking a todo item for some datacenter tech

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ShadowHawk posted:

Why would you have any production setup where a single disk going bad affected you in any way other than marking a todo item for some datacenter tech

syscall girl posted:

(stupid yes, cheap yes but waste not want not or something)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

use raid you fools

I assume these things to be self-evident. We were discussing the reliability of single disks.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

spankmeister posted:

I assume these things to be self-evident. We were discussing the reliability of single disks.
Relevant to my point is that once you have the infrastructure for expecting failure and replacing disks then the idea of chasing down more nines of disk failure rates doesn't make as much sense. Just buy more cheap ones.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

Relevant to my point is that once you have the infrastructure for expecting failure and replacing disks then the idea of chasing down more nines of disk failure rates doesn't make as much sense. Just buy more cheap ones.

that's what starkingbarfish did at CERN

they bought pallets of seagate drives because it was more cost effective

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

a drive died in my NAS. made me wonder why i have a bunch of hard drives spinning away in the closet. i’m thinking of replacing it with a single external drive and backblaze. any caveats beyond keeping the drive plugged in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

so turns out this is the default fortigate block page

lol