Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it sure didnt take long for this to turn into 'to which degree the woman deserved her death'

:ocelot: goons :ocelot:

e: also holy poo poo, trying to parse this feels like a fever dream

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t think you guys are going to agree on the small details of the crash but maybe we can just agree that self driving cars aren’t ready for mass production and the technology still needs to be improved?

The tech is decades off. We may kill ourselves as a species before we ever get there. We're nowhere near where we need to be.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it sure didnt take long for this to turn into 'to which degree the woman deserved her death'

No one is arguing that this woman deserved to die. We are discussing the reasons it happened and things that could be done to help prevent it from happening in the future.

Self driving vehicles are not ready to operate on public roadways yet and there are automated safety mechanisms that could have helped prevent this. However, this accident could have just as easily been prevented if the woman had followed simple pedestrian safety rules such as looking both ways before crossing the street (the report stated she only looked down the road towards the vehicle a moment before impact), crossing the road in a designated crosswalk and increasing her visibility using side reflectors on the bike or more reflective clothing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Delizin posted:

No one is arguing that this woman deserved to die. We are discussing the reasons it happened and things that could be done to help prevent it from happening in the future.

Self driving vehicles are not ready to operate on public roadways yet and there are automated safety mechanisms that could have helped prevent this. However, this accident could have just as easily been prevented if the woman had followed simple pedestrian safety rules such as looking both ways before crossing the street (the report stated she only looked down the road towards the vehicle a moment before impact), crossing the road in a designated crosswalk and increasing her visibility using side reflectors on the bike or more reflective clothing.

But you all agree that the technology needs to be improved and are still arguing and I don’t think anyone here is qualified to say “the self driving car needs this” because we are all dumb mil vets, not automotive or computer engineers, so what is there even really to bicker about?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Delizin posted:

If she had been in the crosswalk, the uber would have still hit her.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
People, save 20% off, today only on this hot deal: https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/summitcoin.htm

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That trump korea coin may be my secret satan christmas gift

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ben is one of my favorite sources of unfiltered crazy. Also I am surprised you have time to post with the E:D bonus weekend active already.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ben is one of my favorite sources of unfiltered crazy. Also I am surprised you have time to post with the E:D bonus weekend active already.

1.) some of us have jobs where we shitpost while pretending to work
2.) I've got like 2 billion credits in assets but I'm glad they're easing the grind for a week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The solution to self driving cars isn't to make them perfect, its to make highways digital train tracks for self driving cars that can form up into a convoy of sorts, a group of cars going the same speed with equal spacing.

Self driving cars on highways can eliminate a majority of traffic jams due to synchronized breaking and acceleration.

Yeah pretty much.

I'm pretty sure even a lovely self driving car is probably 99% safer and better at driving than most people.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
my favorite thing about techbros is that once or twice a month someone describes a bus or a train

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh yeah Elon Musk invented subways earlier this month.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I forget who it was but they had done a study to find out what was needed and what was considered acceptable to get robots on the road. The result unsurprisingly was that people as a whole expect at a minimum that their car robots perform to a degree they would never expect of themselves or others.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Delizin posted:

So, what you're saying is if she had been wearing a PT belt she wouldn't have died.

Thanks, Sergeant-Major.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

my favorite thing about techbros is that once or twice a month someone describes a bus or a train

Don't forget bodegas and corner stores!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SimonCat posted:

So, what you're saying is if she had been wearing a PT belt she wouldn't have died.

Thanks, Sergeant-Major.

The Sergeant-Major walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young corporal's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, soldier" he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's body, wrapped from head to toe. Dragged by a HMMVV through the entire motorpool. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Were you wearing your PT belt?"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Uhhhh this seems bad

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/999703553269813248?s=19

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Delizin posted:

Take a look at a satellite view of the area where the accident happened. The people designing this road (or most roads in Arizona, to be fair) didn't take pedestrians into account at all - there are long stretches with no pedestrian crossings even where people may need to access the other side of the road. Human nature means this inevitably results in ad-hoc crossings because people aren't robots that follow traffic laws, and just assuming that people will always obey road poorly designed road markings is a lazy approach.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

This is actually worse then guns

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Delizin posted:

If only your mom had not hosed your dad so you could not make this post.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

sharknado slashfic posted:

This is actually worse then guns

we could talk about smartgun technology and really spice things up

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Smiling Jack posted:

we could talk about smartgun technology and really spice things up

LETS ROCK

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

look at the guy in *checks spreadhsheet* DC thinking the rest of the US is gonna invest in public transportation.

Unless there is some great awakening in the US, cities and towns outside of LA/DC/NYC aren't going to have a functioning transportation system that makes owning a car redundant. Self driving cars restricted to highways are a far easier sell.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Can't possibly be good

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Aliens vs predator had the best smart gun.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

DID SOMEONE SAY GUNCHAT?!

https://twitter.com/NRATV/status/999714805333147650

I can’t tell if this is parody or their actual platform, and I’m too tired to try to figure out. I think media organizations should quit breathlessly profiling mass shooters, but mandating laws about it? Hard loving pass.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The smartest gun is the one you don't have to use :smug:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Arcella posted:

LETS ROCK

Captain Beeb's smartgun gif will never get old

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Newspapers have literally started WARS with exaggerated and falsified stories, maybe it's time to repeal the 1st amendment instead, HMMMMM?????

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

pantslesswithwolves posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY GUNCHAT?!

https://twitter.com/NRATV/status/999714805333147650

I can’t tell if this is parody or their actual platform, and I’m too tired to try to figure out. I think media organizations should quit breathlessly profiling mass shooters, but mandating laws about it? Hard loving pass.

I think it's supposed to be tongue in cheek. They're still awful fuckers though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I think media organizations should quit breathlessly profiling mass shooters, but mandating laws about it? Hard loving pass.

That was his point, though a poorly made one. His point was "wouldn't it be hosed up if we clamped down on the first amendment? That's how we feel about gun control and the second amendment!" It's not even tongue in cheek; he explicitly says that he's not serious about 1A restrictions via legislation, instead suggesting the news just police itself more tightly. NRATV sucks enough to mock, but it's not necessary to ignore what they said or misconstrue it. You can find plenty of pure-strain bonkers poo poo on there well above what Noir is saying here.

The problem is that it's already been heavily established for hundreds of years in this country that a lot of the most oft-talked about gun control, even the really dumb ideas born of pure fear and ignorance, pass constitutional muster.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump looked extra orange today. Maybe it was the contrast with his non fake tanned eye lids.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Smiling Jack posted:

Captain Beeb's smartgun gif will never get old

Aww thanks guy :toot: I should go back and remake some Aliens gifs, there's a lot of dithering going on there but I think it's shrunken down from the 9MB version I made from the bluray

Did he think that was for him? I'm getting second hand embarrassment watching that, it's so awkward

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Did he think that was for him? I'm getting second hand embarrassment watching that, it's so awkward
His Nobel is on hold right now so he's just trying to cheer himself up with a MOH.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
poo poo like this is why CNN sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7e-0X8lds

Who gives a poo poo?

If trump hammered CNN as stupid rather than fake, that’s something I might agree with him on.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

If trump hammered CNN as stupid rather than fake, that’s something I might agree with him on.

uh that story is hilarious

calm down musk parachute account

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Funny rear end stories about goons getting owned are not why CNN sucks dude

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

mlmp08 posted:

People, save 20% off, today only on this hot deal: https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/summitcoin.htm

Third World Reggin posted:

That trump korea coin may be my secret satan christmas gift

edit: piece of poo poo imgur on mobile hosed this up and now the original/bigger one is gone :shrug:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

I like how old dude got 5 written notices. Even if youre paying real rent in a real place, you only get like 3 notices dude.

• Locked thread