Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Why are people dunking on Detroit for lacking grace? That's not necessarily a bad thing...one of the reasons people like comic book movies is that they aren't subtle, they literally have the character wear their themes as costumes and beat each other up. No real problem with a game that's like "YES, THEY ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS" from the jump

I was going to post this. We live in a country where bringing up that institutionalized racism exists and there's a major social disparity between white and black citizens receives an extremely violent reaction at worse, and a completely skeptical denial one at best. Just look at the NFL kneeling reaction and that was just started with one man kneeling during the anthem. Such a simple, and very small protest that caused people to flip their lid. That said, I feel like they might be drawing attention away from those hardships by doing them poorly in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I highly recommend checking out janelle monae's dirty computer where it's even less subtle. I honestly don't know anything about detroit human but I also don't know where the sentiment came from that messages about race sexuality etc need to be subtle to be poignant

Wut?

"I know nothing, but why do people think thing nobody said?"

Dont you why your posting then

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Read the post I replied to bombadillo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Read the post I replied to bombadillo

Read the last 2 pages all about the game you jumped in saying you know nothing about adding pointless comments.

Let me help

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wow I got owned. Carry on!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

lmao is this real?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I did and you guys have some real problematic views about race

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wow I got owned. Carry on!

Thinking a successful human couldn't possibly be that naive is not a crime.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Detroit will be fine and effective unless you’re looking for the most hard hitting deep examination of social justice. It’s a scifi android oppression story made by weirdo french people with all the expected idiosyncrasies. Press X for sadness and admire the swanky home interiors. Maybe drip a little piss or gently caress a sexbot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^yeah it looks wacky and fun and possibly not for the reasons intended.

I did and you guys have some real problematic views about race

gently caress off for that. Done with you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detroit: Beyond Criticism

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

gently caress off for that. Done with you.

It's OK get lost in the memes my dude

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm just laughing cause the big original idea is "take everything that ever happened to black people and jews and apply them to androids". So like, they have to wear a big star on their shirt that says ANDROID, and ride on the outside of the bus, and get shot by cops. If the game came out a year later there would definitely be a kneeling scene. Its definitely not worth being outraged by a David Cage game, but lmao this guy

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Detroit: Beyond Criticism

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/999713767280656384

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/999727651198767106

(It's a good review by the way.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bombadilillo posted:

^^^yeah it looks wacky and fun and possibly not for the reasons intended.

QD games always hit just right for me. I legitimately love the stories and characters and all the wacky bullshit weirdness is the icing on top. They’re always so fun to go through with the tone the developers and designers go for.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I get enjoyment out of Cage games because I know exactly what I'm getting into going in; a hamfisted story written by weirdo Europeans with subtext so thick you couldn't cut it with a knife. That is what a David Cage game is, I can't believe theres still people out here waiting for the turn where he somehow gets better. But also I can't believe Sony is still giving him millions to make these drat things, there can't be that many people out there with my view on his games buying them.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 24, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some random dude from Detroit should make a game about a city in France and see how hilariously wrong it also is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Some random dude from Detroit should make a game about a city in France and see how hilariously wrong it also is.

Close enough

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

I get enjoyment out of Cage games because I know exactly what I'm getting into going in a hamfisted story written by weirdo Europeans with subtext so thick you couldn't cut it with a knife. That is what a David Cage game is, I can't believe theres still people out here waiting for the turn where he somehow gets better. But also I can't believe Sony is still giving him millions to make these drat things, there can't be that many people out there with my view on his games buying them.

It sounds like he read wikipedia about the underground railroad and bullet pointed it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

Choose your own adventure books have a rich and storied tradition of elementary school bookfairs thank you.

I know, but nobody ever got to tell the authors that they sucked at writing, and as a result CYOA never improved as far as I remember. Quantic at the very least took complaints about previous games having tonal whiplash seriously and reviews for Detroit seem to say that aspect of their writing has gotten better. And I guess they hired more writers to keep David Cage in check.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man some of these Detroit twitter hot takes and reviews are very spoiler heavy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Why are people dunking on Detroit for lacking grace? That's not necessarily a bad thing...one of the reasons people like comic book movies is that they aren't subtle, they literally have the character wear their themes as costumes and beat each other up. No real problem with a game that's like "YES, THEY ARE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS" from the jump

Because it's completely and utterly artless. If I wanted to be bludgeoned over the head with this sort of stuff I'd just open up a newspaper..

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Because it's not being marketed as a popcorn spectacle

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Because it's completely and utterly artless. If I wanted to be bludgeoned over the head with this sort of stuff I'd just open up a newspaper..

or you could just not play the game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

or you could just not play the game

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about the stupid-rear end android sex game but I have a PSVR question.

What is the absolute best way to buy PSVR? I'm seeing a lot of different bundles etc and I'm not sure what I should do. All I have is a regular PS4. I want to use it for Doom, Skyrim, and gimmicky stuff/whatever shooty things are going to come out. I'm assuming it's only really worth it if you go full-hog and get the wands?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Seymour Buttz posted:

Sorry to interrupt the discussion about the stupid-rear end android sex game but I have a PSVR question.

What is the absolute best way to buy PSVR? I'm seeing a lot of different bundles etc and I'm not sure what I should do. All I have is a regular PS4. I want to use it for Doom, Skyrim, and gimmicky stuff/whatever shooty things are going to come out. I'm assuming it's only really worth it if you go full-hog and get the wands?

If I was buying one today I would probably go for the Skyrim bundle. Seems like a great way to jump in and Skyrim VR is the coolest poo poo in the world.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Why would anyone buy fuckin PSVR at this point, that seems like a near dead peripheral as is.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

acksplode posted:

Because it's not being marketed as a popcorn spectacle
How do you feel it is being marketed? I watched a trailer, and to me it really does not imply "this will be a nuanced treatment of Black Lives Matter" or whatever people are suddenly expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4SNXU0yqB8

Le Saboteur posted:

Why would anyone buy fuckin PSVR at this point, that seems like a near dead peripheral as is.
I bought one to play games in VR.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 24, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Le Saboteur posted:

There are a lot of great games for it. Even if it was dead with no new games ever it would be worth it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Le Saboteur posted:

It's fuckin' cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I highly recommend checking out janelle monae's dirty computer where it's even less subtle. I honestly don't know anything about detroit human but I also don't know where the sentiment came from that messages about race sexuality etc need to be subtle to be poignant

Not even remotely as good as Electric Lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPkSVJxxE8

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A good chunk of cool stuff is also on the way for for PSVR.

Anyways, I don't know why the lack of subtlety and self awareness in David Cage games are presented as bad. It's my main source of enjoyment in a QD game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

where's da fuckin remaster Sega 😤

like I know they have 800 Yakuza games to remaster but CMON

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

where's da fuckin remaster Sega >:(

Steam

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

A good chunk of cool stuff is also on the way for for PSVR.

Anyways, I don't know why the lack of subtlety and self awareness in David Cage games are presented as bad. It's my main source of enjoyment in a QD game.

The contrast of that and what he set out to do. His stated ideas of his fresh and unique take on something vs...what comes out is funny. Doesn't mean the game is not fun for you.

Cringe inducing does not mean "bad". People watch Micheal Scott in the office for a reason. It's made me go from not wanting to play it, to very much wanting to tbh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I couldn’t get into Vanquish when it came out but I would probably try it again if they remastered it. Won’t happen but :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I couldn’t get into Vanquish when it came out but I would probably try it again if they remastered it. Won’t happen but :shrug:

It's on pc now and old enough to run on most things if that's an option. It's all angled robots so it looks fine.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

What the poo poo is up with this??

"After rising to prominence as a vlogger, Warren has no experience in government"

Is it illegal to hire good copy editors in France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Aardark posted:

How do you feel it is being marketed? I watched a trailer, and to me it really does not imply "this will be a nuanced treatment of Black Lives Matter" or whatever people are suddenly expecting.

It's being marketed as a serious game with a serious plot where you get to make serious and impactful choices. It is not being presented as something where you should just turn your brain off and enjoy it man, even though that's probably the best way to play a Cage game. So when we make fun of it for being hamfisted and unsubtle with its allegory, we're evaluating it on the terms we've been invited to evaluate it on.