Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

god drat that owns. Night Lords own

they were my first army and I've never stopped loving them

Yeah man I love the Night Lords.

TSons were my first legion. But after their rules came out and they became the WAAC 30k guys I kind of soured on them.

Now I play NLs and lose every game and I love it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Legion Tiers:

S-tier: Dark Angels, Night Lords, Sons of Horus, Alpha Legion
A-tier: 1k Sons, Death Guard, Iron Warriors, White Scars, Blood Angels
B-tier: World Eaters, Space Wolves, Iron Hands
C-tier: Imperial Fists, Salamanders, Raven Guard
D-tier: Emperor's Children, Word Bearers
Scrub tier: Ultramarines

This is correct and final.

Look how wrong you are. Just look at it. Drink in the wrong.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

Yeah man I love the Night Lords.

TSons were my first legion. But after their rules came out and they became the WAAC 30k guys I kind of soured on them.

Now I play NLs and lose every game and I love it :shobon:

I mean the same was true for my night lords for years. In part because I'd roll up to games with multiple squads of bikes and raptors and like, zero heavy weapons in my army, just a bunch of punchmans and a few meltaguns. Good times!

Planning to get another game in with them soon, though. Been working on touching up the whole army, since a lot of them are probably my worst-painted mans by virtue of being the oldest. I want to do more raptors, but I made the terrible mistake/cool idea to use 2nd edition gargoyle wings instead of jump packs for all my raptors and so it makes doing new ones really difficult (and requires metal models). I have a bunch of 30k stuff for them too that I need to finish up (30k raptors, a contemptor, Night Haunter), but I like that their 30k and 40k aesthetics are really, really close. If anything, their 30k aesthetics are much more gruesome.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Legion Tiers:

S-tier: Night Lords, Sons of Horus, Alpha Legion, World Eaters, Space Wolves, Iron Hands
A-tier: White Scars
B-tier: Death Guard
C-tier: Imperial Fists, Salamanders, Raven Guard, Thousand Sons, Iron Warriors, Blood Angels
D-tier: Emperor's Children, Word Bearers, Ultramarines
Scrub tier: Dark Angels

Updated.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

Look how wrong you are. Just look at it. Drink in the wrong.

Lots of people flinch when first exposed to the cold bright logic of the Imperial Truth. You'll comply in good time.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

This Is Law.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hixson posted:

It’s not really my favorite fluff bit, but this Sevetar quote is really neat:

A good quote from Angron to Papa Smurf, for anyone who hasn't read Betrayer:

quote:

"What would you know of struggle, Perfect Son? When have you fought against the mutilation of your mind? When have you had to do anything more than tally compliances and polish your armour?" [...] "The people of your world named you Great One. The people of mine called me Slave. Which one of us landed on a paradise of civilization to be raised by a foster father, Roboute? Which one of us was given armies to lead after training in the halls of the Macraggian high-riders? Which one of us inherited a strong, cultured kingdom? And which one of us had to rise up against a kingdom with nothing but a horde of starving slaves? Which one of us was a child enslaved on a world of monsters, with his brain cut up by carving knives? Listen to your blue-clad wretches yelling of courage and honour, courage and honour, courage and honour. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Courage is fighting the kingdom which enslaves you, no matter that their armies outnumber yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of courage. Honour is resisting a tyrant when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy he feeds them. You know nothing of honour."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

1k Sons should be moved up because they have a big robot with a curved sword sticking out of its arm.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Scrub tier: Dark Angels
Hell, same.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
There's an awful lot of Wrong flying around after I posted a noncontroversial ranking of legions, but I'm glad we can all agree that Emperor's Children, Word Bearers and Ultramarines are garbage legions and the people that model them should be ashamed.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

1k Sons should be moved up because they have a big robot with a curved sword sticking out of its arm.

Yeah except it’s incredibly ugly and dumb

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hixson posted:

Yeah except it’s incredibly ugly and dumb

Nuh uh, it has a big Egypt head

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

panascope posted:

We’re all gonna be Sloppity Bilepipers in the end.

I'm the guy who casually throws his mouth over his shoulder, like a jaunty scarf.

(drat, if I could paint like that...)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Ok nerds, let's settle this once and for all. Rank the legions

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

There's an awful lot of Wrong flying around after I posted a noncontroversial ranking of legions, but I'm glad we can all agree that Emperor's Children, Word Bearers and Ultramarines are garbage legions and the people that model them should be ashamed.

Can we compromise and I'll just go with my usual crippling shame regardless of my Hams Proclivities?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Post the results when they're in, please.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Cessna posted:

Post the results when they're in, please.

That's the plan! I'll leave it open for a couple days and then we'll know for sure which legions are good or not.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

That's the plan! I'll leave it open for a couple days and then we'll know for sure which legions are good or not.

I just want a good/bad binary vote for each legion.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Doing this made me remember I've never ever given the single slightest gently caress about Alpha Legion. They might as well not exist.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Corrode posted:

Doing this made me remember I've never ever given the single slightest gently caress about Alpha Legion. They might as well not exist.

Just as planned.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Corrode posted:

Isn't that the whole idea?

(Edit: Beerdeer beat me to it.)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cessna posted:

Isn't that the whole idea?

gently caress, cover blown. I am Alpharius.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Me too!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I'm not Alpharius

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ghazk posted:

I'm not Alpharius

lol, nice try alpharius

signed,
Alpharius

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I thought Ultramarines were better regarded in the 30K era?

I know they're met with disdain in 40K, but thought 30K was a little kinder to them.

And, yeah, Word Bearers are awful.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

ijyt posted:

I got into 40K when I was 10 because I had just watched Alien and I thought tyranids were rad, but then Tau came out that same month and anime is great.

Get the gently caress out pony boy.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Cessna posted:

I thought Ultramarines were better regarded in the 30K era?

I know they're met with disdain in 40K, but thought 30K was a little kinder to them.

And, yeah, Word Bearers are awful.
In 30k they have Know No Fear by Dan Abnett, which makes them -- and Guilliman -- seem less bad, and indeed quite good. The same is slightly true of Abnett's Unremembered Empire, which sorta fails as a story in and of itself, but at least portrays the Ultramarines as a legion that could be interesting in some other novel.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I love that there's canon fluff about traitors thinking out loud "why the gently caress aren't the Iron Warriors doing this??" as they dig Istvaan murder trenches

e: even in my power fantasies I am underappreciated doing hard manual labor

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Which is why they totally should fall to Malal and not be undivided

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Hustlin Floh posted:

The best Horus Heresy fluff is when a bunch of Shattered Legionnaires show up on a renegade forge world dressed as Sons of Horus so they can steal some ordinatus. They get all the company markings wrong on their armor and vehicles, but the tech-priests are so isolated that they have no idea they're being duped until the fighting starts.

Then a bunch of crates full of dead marines and destroyed vehicles come back to life and go on a zombie rampage, and apparently you have to read some lovely novella or listen to an awful audiodrama to learn what the hell that was about.

This story is from the background fluff section of the FW black book with Scoria in it, it’s the story of how malacador tries to get the remote but powerful Xana forge world to go from neutral in the Heresy to loyal and how it all goes to poo poo and then he sends in loyalist dressed as traitors to steal the 3 Ordinatus Engines and stuff all goes crazy and so his ace in the hole is the dead bodies and robots of slain legions (a bribe of raw materials for Xana) get reanimated via some forbidden tech the Iron hands have unleashed from one of their secret forbidden tech vaults after the Istvaan Slaughter.

Same theme is a story about Iron hands mini blackshields fleet cutting around during the Heresy with the same Zombie tech running into other Iron hands who catch them out using said forbidden tech.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Best Iron Warriors bit is their AA fire on Istvaan bringing down enemy aircraft crashing on their own allies and they won't stop doing it because they're having a good time.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Scrub tier: Ultramarines

Extremely rude

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm excited for the unique Iron Warrior... rhinos. That's right. I'm sure they'll cost 90 points for an extra hull point, extra armour, and sunder

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Best Iron Warriors bit is their AA fire on Istvaan bringing down enemy aircraft crashing on their own allies and they won't stop doing it because they're having a good time.

"we are all traitors today"

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm excited for the unique Iron Warrior... rhinos. That's right. I'm sure they'll cost 90 points for an extra hull point, extra armour, and sunder

They can tank shock into buildings and get wrecker.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

They were invented in Angel Exterminatus which was a pretty bad book. The IW's unique rhinos had a gimmick where they could link together into field fortifications and walls.

Probably going to be something like granting heavy cover to units next to them.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

They were invented in Angel Exterminatus which was a pretty bad book. The IW's unique rhinos had a gimmick where they could link together into field fortifications and walls.

Probably going to be something like granting heavy cover to units next to them.

The IWs watching over their rhino fortress at the EC loving themselves to death was p good part of that book.

Not as good as Fulgrim ordering the boiz to jam his hole full of gems, but still good

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

100% this and laughing while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it was the Word Bearers and gently caress 'em.