Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

Thanks to Boyle she can send romantic texts to anyone.

I haven't seen the season so I don't know where they go with it. Hopefully they had some good ideas and were at least able to do the cliche well. Thinking about it some more I'm not surprised they wanted to pivot on the character after the weird romance she had going with crazy bearded guy in the the last episodes I watched. That was pretty bad.

You don't like Pimento? I am so sorry. You need to test more cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

You don't like Pimento? I am so sorry. You need to test more cocaine.

He was okay but pairing them up didn't lead to many laughs.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm the Bajoran civil war that started over farming equipment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

He was okay but pairing them up didn't lead to many laughs.

how does it feel to be a broken person

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

sassassin posted:

I haven't seen the season so I don't know where they go with it. Hopefully they had some good ideas and were at least able to do the cliche well. Thinking about it some more I'm not surprised they wanted to pivot on the character after the weird romance she had going with crazy bearded guy in the the last episodes I watched. That was pretty bad.

So wait, you had your little freakout, even thought you hadn't seen the episodes, or known what actually happened, and are insisting everyone who has seen the season is wrong?

Yeah, you are just a poo poo poster, got it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
*shitposter

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just don't read the comments on that B99 story.

I did, and I always love these comments that always seem to pop up "I'm a man and I love it when women call me babe or sweetie." Yeah fucker, way to miss the point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bunnyofdoom posted:

So wait, you had your little freakout, even thought you hadn't seen the episodes, or known what actually happened, and are insisting everyone who has seen the season is wrong?

Yeah, you are just a poo poo poster, got it.

I haven't insisted that anyone is wrong, and have only disagreed with Arivia (who similarly hasn't seen the episodes) on one point.

Are you confusing me with someone from another thread (like FELD1 did)?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm watching Parks and Rec again and I totally forgot about Louis CK playing the shy bumbling love interest

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

EmmyOk posted:

I'm watching Parks and Rec again and I totally forgot about Louis CK playing the shy bumbling love interest

A shy, bumbling cop who couldn't get over a woman choosing someone else over him. A real creep.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I met the guy who played Ben at 9am drinking vodka once and thought he was Tom Cruise from a distance

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

at the time he was only famous for beinga oval office in step brothers the movie so fair play to him for getting more famous and improving my story

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

EmmyOk posted:

I met the guy who played Ben at 9am drinking vodka once and thought he was Tom Cruise from a distance

EmmyOk posted:

at the time he was only famous for beinga oval office in step brothers the movie so fair play to him for getting more famous and improving my story

Was he actually nice to meet, or was he kind of a dick because people only knew him from Step Brothers?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EmmyOk posted:

He'll always be the big key guy from Torque to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

He'll always be a sleazy teacher/molester in Veronica Mars to me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Was he actually nice to meet, or was he kind of a dick because people only knew him from Step Brothers?

I'd half a tank of vokda in me and no breakfast so I didn't stop to chat. He was coming out of a hotel in a quiet part of Dublin and as we got closer I realised I recognised him and took a second to realise it was him. We said hello to him quickly but he was carrying I'm guessing his child into a waiting taxi so we didn't stop and chat.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

Personally I'm not sure there are enough openly bisexual characters on television full stop for a bisexual Latinx cop who keeps her personal life a closely guarded secret to qualify as a "cliche", but I await being proven wrong. Anyway, is there anything else you havent watched you want to pass comment on while we are here?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

sassassin posted:

Are you confusing me with someone from another thread (like FELD1 did)?

That's my bad, you did the exact same irritating thing as someone from that thread: perceived stereotypes where none existed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For me, he’ll always be Griff from Boy Meets World.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SEX BURRITO posted:

Benny Hill was sort of a weirdly asexual loner by the sounds of it. He’s one of those people who lived alone and was really frugal, despite making millions.

I watched some Benny Hill a while ago and a lot of it is pretty odd. He seems to embrace any excuse to wear a maid’s costume.

To be fair, Benny was making comedy for a British audience. There's pretty much nothing we find funnier than a man dressed as a woman. And if you disagree, I invite you to consider this scene from cinematic masterpiece Under Siege:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-T8ZqDvluI

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh we're keenly aware of that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

were you having fun yet?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

To be fair, Benny was making comedy for a British audience. There's pretty much nothing we find funnier than a man dressed as a woman. And if you disagree, I invite you to consider this scene from cinematic masterpiece Under Siege:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-T8ZqDvluI

America did it better with Some Like It Hot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SiKboy posted:

Personally I'm not sure there are enough openly bisexual characters on television full stop for a bisexual Latinx cop who keeps her personal life a closely guarded secret to qualify as a "cliche", but I await being proven wrong. Anyway, is there anything else you havent watched you want to pass comment on while we are here?

Not sure why race is suddenly significant to the conversation, or her character at all, really.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only good Bajoran was Seska and SURPRISE, it's because she was a Cardassian all-along.

NorgLyle posted:

I want to emptyquote this because I am incredibly Space Racist against Bajorans. Every single Bajoran that ever appeared on Star Trek was the worst part of whatever episode they were in (and that's quite an accomplishment considering Ensign Ro is in the episode where people de-age into child actors).

You guys are crazy. Kira is great and had all the best storylines, excepting her romantic interests, who were hellishly boring and had no chemistry (that includes Odo).

Kai Winn was also a great villain and foil for Sisko.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

Not sure why race is suddenly significant to the conversation, or her character at all, really.

Its as relevant to her character as her sexuality, her gender, or any other aspect. Mainly I'm using it to show that describing her as a cliche would be the act of a goddamn idiot, I figured that was clear from context.

Edit for clarity: The context being the conversation we are having and the fact that you, sassassin, are well known to be a goddamn idiot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

were you having fun yet?

Well I had to drink half of it as fast I could cos we only had one bottle and needed to evenly split how much we got. Went to smoke salvia in a park after that so it was a good oul morning, better than German class anyway.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randallteal posted:

You guys are crazy. Kira is great and had all the best storylines, excepting her romantic interests, who were hellishly boring and had no chemistry (that includes Odo).

All this is.... TRUE

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SiKboy posted:

Its as relevant to her character as her sexuality, her gender, or any other aspect. Mainly I'm using it to show that describing her as a cliche would be the act of a goddamn idiot, I figured that was clear from context.

Edit for clarity: The context being the conversation we are having and the fact that you, sassassin, are well known to be a goddamn idiot.

All I've said is that the tough chick with the motorcycle turning out to like women is a cliche, not that Rosa Diaz is a total cliche. One of my posts here even explained what I liked about how her character leans away from the basic archetype she inhabits in the show.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Brother Entropy posted:

were you having fun yet?

yo I got this reference to the excellent show Party Down don't worry

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sassassin posted:

All I've said is that the tough chick with the motorcycle turning out to like women is a cliche, not that Rosa Diaz is a total cliche. One of my posts here even explained what I liked about how her character leans away from the basic archetype she inhabits in the show.

I like how you are being very careful with your wording in order to avoid having to factor in that being gay and being bi are two different things.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I am so loving tired of seeing so many badass bisexual latina women in police sitcoms. It's just the most overused cliche. Can't we get a few straight white guys?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Man, I am so loving tired of seeing so many badass bisexual latina women in police sitcoms. It's just the most overused cliche. Can't we get a few straight white guys?

Bicurious blaisian is the best we can do. We already used our yearly allotment of whitey on another show.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As a straight white guy, when are there going to be more shows aimed at ME?

... although on reflection, as a straight white guy, I'd like to see more badass bisexual women (of any race) on TV. Go Nine-Nine!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

I like how you are being very careful with your wording in order to avoid having to factor in that being gay and being bi are two different things.

People should always be very careful with their wording. How else can we convey what we mean?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Drop this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as someone who's not straight: it is a little bit of An Issue that yet another tough lady in fiction is being portrayed as LGBT, continuing the stereotype that all LGBT women are tough or butch in some way

but on the other hand the way the whole thing came about is wholesome as hell and they pretty clearly decided the positive outweighs the negative here, and i'm inclined to agree

B99 is good

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
I'm crossing the streams: Adam Scott's best role was as an unnamed Starfleet officer in Star Trek: First Contact in which he had three lines and thirty seconds of screen time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

adam scott's worst role is in my brain whenever i hear something lovely scott adams said and get confused for half a second

it happens every time and i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Randallteal posted:

There's a basic rule that female Bajorans are cool and interesting, and male Bajorans are vague interchangeable beige lumps.