Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bombadilillo posted:

It's on pc now and old enough to run on most things if that's an option. It's all angled robots so it looks fine.

I doubt it’s on macOS and tbh it would just get buried under The Backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

A good chunk of cool stuff is also on the way for for PSVR.

I am hopefully trying VR for the first time tomorrow. What kind of cool VR stuff is in the pipeline?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I doubt it’s on macOS and tbh it would just get buried under The Backlog.

I liked it when I first played it, but cold not get into it trying again, so I dont know if it would work if you bounced the first time anyway.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I was buying one today I would probably go for the Skyrim bundle. Seems like a great way to jump in and Skyrim VR is the coolest poo poo in the world.

Thanks man that's what I'll aim to get then.

Le Saboteur posted:

Why would anyone buy fuckin PSVR at this point, that seems like a near dead peripheral as is.

Hey gently caress you too buddy. I don't own a PC or a Samsung phone, so the other VR things aren't really an option for me. I use my PS4 for most things (streaming etc) and it's my main gaming console so if I want VR, PSVR is pretty much my only option as far as I can tell. Am I wrong?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

I am hopefully trying VR for the first time tomorrow. What kind of cool VR stuff is in the pipeline?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/03/guide_upcoming_psvr_games_in_2018

Mainly Zone of Enders 2

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I was going to post this. We live in a country where bringing up that institutionalized racism exists and there's a major social disparity between white and black citizens receives an extremely violent reaction at worse, and a completely skeptical denial one at best. Just look at the NFL kneeling reaction and that was just started with one man kneeling during the anthem. Such a simple, and very small protest that caused people to flip their lid. That said, I feel like they might be drawing attention away from those hardships by doing them poorly in a video game.

Pretty much sums up my feeling! I will wait for user reviews to see just how bad Detroit can get. Maybe pick it up cheap.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

acksplode posted:

It's being marketed as a serious game with a serious plot where you get to make serious and impactful choices. It is not being presented as something where you should just turn your brain off and enjoy it man, even though that's probably the best way to play a Cage game. So when we make fun of it for being hamfisted and unsubtle with its allegory, we're evaluating it on the terms we've been invited to evaluate it on.
I'm never in favor of intentionally misleading marketing, so if someone really buys the game expecting a CYOA Les Miserables in future Detroit, that sucks I suppose. But personally I've played Quantic Dream games before, so all these hot takes and ice burns just seem out of order to me. The game was always going to be unintentionally campy and unsubtle, that's what I'm here for.

edit: literally the first scene of the demo is the android character coming across a random fish flopping around on the floor for some reason, and being given the option to save it or not. makes u think.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 24, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's not "intentionally misleading", David Cage really does think he's making brilliant, incisive art when the androids have to sit in the back of the bus and the black person says "you know this reminds me of what black people used to deal with" (but it's not about race so don't critique it for that please and thank you)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

I couldn’t get into Vanquish when it came out but I would probably try it again if they remastered it. Won’t happen but :shrug:

It's one of the most incredible over-the-top action shooters of all time. The president is Hil Hil Clinton and she employs a cyborg chain-gun wielding WWF version of John McCain in a futuristic Cold War 2 against Russia and its Android V. Putin.

You can smoke cigarettes like Solid Snake and then throw them onto the battlefield to draw the gunfire of Russian Robot Soldiers.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Aardark posted:

The game was always going to be unintentionally campy and unsubtle, that's what I'm here for.

That's all that people are saying here -- that the game is unsubtle in ways it clearly doesn't intend. You may like and expect that, but I don't understand why you'd object to people pointing that out.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's one of the most incredible over-the-top action shooters of all time. The president is Hil Hil Clinton and she employs a cyborg chain-gun wielding WWF version of John McCain in a futuristic Cold War 2 against Russia and its Android V. Putin.

The opening cutscene is sooooo good. Vanquish totally deserves a remaster.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 24, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The game has a literal "Press X to Sadness, Press [] to Hope" prompt, I mean, loving hell

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bombadilillo posted:

I liked it when I first played it, but cold not get into it trying again, so I dont know if it would work if you bounced the first time anyway.

Yeah something about it just didn’t pull me in. The gameplay is super cool for sure but it wasn’t my jam.

Seymour Buttz posted:

Thanks man that's what I'll aim to get then.

Don’t worry about naysayers and etc, PSVR rules. Just take it easy early off and take breaks if you feel nauseous. It’s definitely something you have to get used to.

You can smoke cigarettes like Solid Snake and then throw them onto the battlefield to draw the gunfire of Russian Robot Soldiers.

I absolutely love the Kojimaesque insanity of it all. I remember some of the voice acting being hilariously weird. The gameplay just didn’t work for me at all. Infinite respect to the world they created though.

Realistically MGR gave me everything I wanted out of Vanquish anyway

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The Indigo Prophecy came true in 2011.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

acksplode posted:

That's all that people are saying here -- that the game is unsubtle in ways it clearly doesn't intend. You may like and expect that, but I don't understand why you'd object to people pointing that out.
I guess I don't really object to it, it's generally good that people are starting to evaluate games from a more mature perspective and within real-world context. Only the "hot take" nature of some of the criticisms seems a bit weird to me, like this was expected to be some amazing art game, and the news are just breaking now that David Cage is not that great of a writer.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

The game has a literal "Press X to Sadness, Press [] to Hope" prompt, I mean, loving hell

That’s David Cage. His games always include that kinda poo poo. At this point I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a screenshot like that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aardark posted:

I guess I don't really object to it, it's generally good that people are starting to evaluate games from a more mature perspective and within real-world context. Only the "hot take" nature of some of the criticisms seems a bit weird to me, like this was expected to be some amazing art game, and the news are just breaking now that David Cage is not that great of a writer.

Spicy take dunking on Quantic Dream games is what you gotta do to be in the cool woke kids twitter club, get with the times dude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Spicy take dunking on Quantic Dream games is what you gotta do to be in the cool woke kids twitter club, get with the times dude

gently caress offffff

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I absolutely love the Kojimaesque insanity of it all. I remember some of the voice acting being hilariously weird. The gameplay just didn’t work for me at all. Infinite respect to the world they created though.

The best and worst thing about Vanquish is that it looks like a cover shooter but it isn't at all. Cover is for catching your breath for a moment before you jump back out and resume kicking rear end in slow motion. There's a little hint in the first combat encounter where there's an obvious sniper perch with a sniper rifle, but if you use it to camp, the game immediately spawns two enemies right behind you. So it can trick you into playing in a way that's really unsatisfying, but once you understand how the combat system really works and you become an angel of death, it's amazing. You realize that all the grunts dying beside you are playing Gears of War but you're playing something much more Platinum-y, like if Bayonetta were a third-person shooter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the worst thing about vanquish is that it's best with open arenas that let you take full advantage of your movement and then keeps shoving you in corridors or on tiny platforms or into a stealth section for some reason

great ideas, awful campaign

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Instant Grat posted:

What the poo poo is up with this??

"After rising to prominence as a vlogger, Warren has no experience in government"

Is it illegal to hire good copy editors in France

No but they scheduled the proofreading pass for August.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The only think i dont like about vanquish is the small number of unique bosses

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Dreams looks pretty cool.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Press X to Sadness is the new Press F to Pay Respects

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

homeless snail posted:

Dreams looks pretty cool.

Thought I read they bumped up the VR side to launch instead of after.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How long until press x to hope is replaced with press x to Jason

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RBA Starblade posted:

How long until press x to hope is replaced with press x to Jason

I mean, at least theres a choice, before you couldn't not pay respects.

I'm gonna be the mopiest robit

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

The best and worst thing about Vanquish is that it looks like a cover shooter but it isn't at all. Cover is for catching your breath for a moment before you jump back out and resume kicking rear end in slow motion. There's a little hint in the first combat encounter where there's an obvious sniper perch with a sniper rifle, but if you use it to camp, the game immediately spawns two enemies right behind you. So it can trick you into playing in a way that's really unsatisfying, but once you understand how the combat system really works and you become an angel of death, it's amazing. You realize that all the grunts dying beside you are playing Gears of War but you're playing something much more Platinum-y, like if Bayonetta were a third-person shooter.

There are very few things more satisfying to me in all of gaming than backflipkicking out of cover and shooting down on the Russian Botnet from 10 feet above in slow mo.

:krad:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
CYOA feels like it would lend itself pretty well to (intentional) comedy.

There's something absurd about seeing a person die different ways in multiple alternate realities. I dunno if anyone saw the Time Machine remake with Guy Pierce, but he keeps going back in time to save his fiancee from getting killed but she keeps dying in different ways no matter what he does, and after the third time the audience bust out laughing.

Someone make a meta-CYOA where the protagonist jumps Rick-And-Morty style from one timeline to another when they realize they screwed up their current timeline. And maybe jump from one genre into another as if they were jumping between CYOA books.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
This is the purest distillation of the David Cage experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

acksplode posted:

Yeah I mostly got the hang of that but also probably not. I love cover shooters so I likely stuck mostly to the norm and felt underpowered. I do appreciate how they managed to take a third person shooter and Platinumize it. I remember the feel of the game being nicely snappy and giving you a solid amount of freedom in your approach.

Either way I’m glad lots of people enjoyed it even if I couldn’t!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve Yun posted:

CYOA feels like it would lend itself pretty well to (intentional) comedy.

There's something absurd about seeing a person die different ways in multiple alternate realities. I dunno if anyone saw the Time Machine remake with Guy Pierce, but he keeps going back in time to save his fiancee from getting killed but she keeps dying in different ways no matter what he does, and after the third time the audience bust out laughing.

Someone make a meta-CYOA where the protagonist jumps Rick-And-Morty style from one timeline to another when they realize they screwed up their current timeline. And maybe jump from one genre into another as if they were jumping between CYOA books.

Was that the one where he just tosses her in the time machine, goes to the present, and she gets run over by a taxi? And later he goes to the future and sees the moon explode?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fix posted:

Thought I read they bumped up the VR side to launch instead of after.
Yeah itll be in at launch but I think they're still being a little cagey about what exactly the VR side of it comprises, they've said they'll talk more about VR later.

Iirc the creation tools work in VR, but I wouldn't be surprised if not necessarily every dream did.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There are very few things more satisfying to me in all of gaming than backflipkicking out of cover and shooting down on the Russian Botnet from 10 feet above in slow mo.

:krad:
One of my favorite gaming moments ever: I'm in a combat encounter with two very big robots, I forget which type but I think they were dark-colored and bigger than a Romanov. I take one out like normal and then the other one, still near full health, does his attack where he charges at me with all his bulk from a couple hundred feet away while hovering a foot or so off the ground. I have no idea how this will play out, but I stand my ground and begin charging my shotgun's pimp-slap melee attack. I release the attack at the perfect moment, it connects with the most satisfying CLUNG I've ever heard, and the huge robot flies back the same way he came just as fast, straight over a precipice and then down into the void, and explodes. Home run. I wish 360 had built-in video capture just for that.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 24, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Was that the one where he just tosses her in the time machine, goes to the present, and she gets run over by a taxi? And later he goes to the future and sees the moon explode?

That's the one.

There's something about multiple timelines when you go above having two timelines which inherently dulls seriousness and deflates urgency.

Groundhog Day capitalized on it and it was great. And even played with the notion of having too many timelines can get boring.

Edge of Tomorrow very smartly played up the comedy when it got into the third and later replays, and then got rid of the time travel mechanic when it was time to get serious. Having only one chance to make a timeline work out right raises the stakes.

When Dr Strange says that out of 14 million possible futures, only one works out for the good guys, it's serious. If we got to see a montage of the Avengers dying 14 million ways, it would have been comedy.

Hire me as your comedy game designer, Quantic Dreams! I yelled from my mom's basement, as Detroit Become Human gets an 8.0 Metacritic score and ships millions of preorders

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 24, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Primer has the best time travel logic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bill and Ted is and always will be the best time travel movie

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My favorite time travel movie I can't even say the name of because it being a time travel movie is a huge reveal woof

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

My favorite time travel movie I can't even say the name of because it being a time travel movie is a huge reveal woof

It’s Timecop isn’t it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s Timecop isn’t it

No but thanks for spoiling it ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Interstellar or Donnie Darko.