Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

Have we had a chance to?

they played a four or five minute trailer so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

they played a four or five minute trailer so yes

Where like 4 people said a single line that meant nothing. So, really no chance to get to know the Survivors, just a look into the season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that's still a feel!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really excited for John Morrison (Mundo / Impact) to be back on my television screen on a regular basis.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I can't let my love for Johnny Mundo supersede my distaste for celebrity stunt casting. Alas.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Did one of those guys say he studied the show? He's toast.

I liked the ending especially reading the votes then and there. The studio stuff is so bad and the reunion show continues to get worse and worse.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

Pony: Wendell
Poison: Domenick

The ultimate Pony/Poison.

Though I did really end up liking Domenick in the end. I went into the finale tonight rooting for Wendell but I would have voted for Domenick based on what we saw at FTC and his great tribal a couple back where he played the fake idol well.

My draft with friends. Drafted after episode 4. Rolled for spots then snake drafted.

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably not, but the main point is that it would cost a lot more to even get to the original 10k

No, tax brackets don't work that way. If you gifted someone $10,001 then the person would receive the $10,000 for sure and the $1 would get taxed at the rate of the next bracket. If you're still confused, PM me and we can talk through it.

Bigass Moth posted:

I’d rather they have some challenge between the two tied players.

I think Wendell is a good winner but this rubbed me the wrong way like Producer Pick Ben last year.

Several seasons ago they mentioned this is exactly how a tie is broken in a final 3. Production didn't cheat here and they didn't cheat last season either, FYI. There's no way they would risk their cash cow show and open themselves up to lawsuits.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 24, 2018

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Season confessional count.
The 2nd to last column is 100 * the ratio against the expected average from their eps (# 3rd to right). 100 = exactly average. 116 = 16% more than average

Dom with that mega narrator edit.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The extent of some of those invisible edits is :stare:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A 5-5 tie wasn't overly surprising... but the biggest swerve for me was that Chelsea voted Wendell. From exit press she said that she and Dom were voting pretty closely, so something Dom did along the way made her vote for Wendell.

Honestly, I'm satisfied with this outcome. There's really no critique to Dom's game, no way to say, 'he should have done this instead to win', other than maybe build a better bond with Laurel. But I think we all knew that Laurel was closer to Wendell than Dom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think Dom was a little annoying during FTC and I think it was enough to cost him 1 vote

Wendell even warned him!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Bringing out James and Erik instead of talking to this season's cast was weird enough but then bringing out Kevin Hart do a commercial during the Reunion was surreal.
And his "new show" looked like something I've seen before, there was nothing really new about it. If CBS is going to copy an Asian game show they should have gone with a clone of The Genius.

AWarmBody posted:

Is anyone feeling the S37 cast at all...?

They're not as attractive as Ghost Island's cast.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The only reason Jeff read the votes at tribal council was because he knew it was a tie right?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

.TakaM posted:

The only reason Jeff read the votes at tribal council was because he knew it was a tie right?

Yeah. They try to limit the number of people who know the season's outcome: cameras are left running without operators in FTC IIRC. But Jeff is always one of the people who knows. Him and Matt Van Wagenin.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Yeah. They try to limit the number of people who know the season's outcome: cameras are left running without operators in FTC IIRC. But Jeff is always one of the people who knows. Him and Matt Van Wagenin.

seems pointless given theres nearly always accurate spoilers from the cast members months before the season begins.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't think newbie seasons usually ever get spoiled, but it seems like returnee ones always do.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Newbies are generally more afeared of the CBS money machine.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'll be honest I'm not sure how I felt about this season in hindsight. It wasn't Nicaragua levels bad but it wasn't great either. I really almost turned off my TV after Angela blabbed to Dom about Donathon and Seabass's plan. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ANGELA?! WHY? Angela didn't have a chance of winning regardless of who she brought to the end, but she might have had a better chance and against Don and Seabass then Dom and Wendall (if they would've even brought her.) I hope David vs Goliaths is better :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wendell is a fine winner or whatever but Dom played his rear end off and I hate seeing a bitter jury deny a good winner.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wendell is a fine winner or whatever but Dom played his rear end off and I hate seeing a bitter jury deny a good winner.

Yeah, Sebastian in particular was a huge pissbaby but I also could see the stress in Dom and it did make him come off as kind of a jerk a couple times.

He did play the best game in a gamebot way but what we couldn't see that obviously mattered was Wendell's friendships

Dom was friendly. Wendell was a friend.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't stop rewatching Wendell's brain completely melt down when Probst started reading the votes

I think Kellyn figured it out right away.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Dom was friendly. Wendell was a friend.

Yeah, I think this is what it really boils down to in the end.

And that's not a knock on Dom because I'm sure he is actually a great friend, but his entire focus was on winning while it seemed like Wendell had his focus split between winning and actually forming relationships.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dom brought up that he might have lost Angela's vote by having her make the fire and he might've been better off just losing that final immunity challenge so Wendell had to be the one to send her into firemaking. Probably true.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean now that we've had a less controversial firemaking, I see where they're going with it, in that it makes for a better finale; a Dom/Angela/Laurel F3 would have been a slaughter. But, as quite a few people have pointed out, it utterly punishes the immunity winner and the person they brought along. Wendell looked much better because he won firemaking (as did Ben). Laurel looked like she was dragged to FTC (as did Ryan). That's something they need to figure out, because otherwise it's not really a good thing to win F4 immunity if you're confident in fire.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

The extent of some of those invisible edits is :stare:

The guy voted out in the premiere got more confessionals than over half the cast. :psyduck:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sea Bass was drunk during FTC, which may explain a few things

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean now that we've had a less controversial firemaking, I see where they're going with it, in that it makes for a better finale; a Dom/Angela/Laurel F3 would have been a slaughter. But, as quite a few people have pointed out, it utterly punishes the immunity winner and the person they brought along. Wendell looked much better because he won firemaking (as did Ben). Laurel looked like she was dragged to FTC (as did Ryan). That's something they need to figure out, because otherwise it's not really a good thing to win F4 immunity if you're confident in fire.

My problem with the firemaking is it keeps pushing back the necessary alliance numbers for the final. With a final 2 your true alliance could never have majority control until 3 and couldn't even tie until 4, meaning you had to rope in players you plan to cut at some point which adds tension to an alliance. Final 3 pushed that to safe at 5/tied at 6. Now with firemaking you can realistically make a Final 4 alliance that has no need to be suspicious of each other that is safe from 7. I think this will lead to more situations where we have Pagongings because there is less time for bottom alliance members to realize there in a losing situation until its too late.

This of course comes with the caveat that your alliance consists of people who believe they can beat each other at final tribal council, but that's the basis for strong alliances regardless of final tribal numbers.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Wendell's jury management was better than Dom's in the endgame. Note how the vote is perfectly split between the first five and second five jurors.
I honestly appreciate Wendell's style of play more than Dom's. Social gaming is hard for these presumably almost all male editors to depict, and Probst sometimes doesn't understand why social often beats strategic.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, Sebastian in particular was a huge pissbaby

Seriously, I'm happy with Wendell's win, but man if Sebastian wasn't being a baby.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

Sea Bass was drunk during FTC, which may explain a few things

this cast would have benefited from a ration of rum with their rice i think

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hay guys, have an amazingly incorrect opinion about the strongest second place finishers in survivor history. These are presumed to be at our above Dom's level.

lol reddit posted:

Let's not forget about :

1.) Season 20 - Parvati Shallow, Russell Hantz
2.) Season 32 - Aubry Bracco
3.) Season 13 - Ozzy Lusth
4.) Season 8 - Rob Mariano
5.) Season 35 - Chrissy Hofbeck*

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AWarmBody posted:

Is anyone feeling the S37 cast at all...?

uh did you miss the part about JOHNNY MUNDO?????????

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

some hot takes from coworkers today, who are all extremely bitter than Wendell won and not Dom. lots of blaming Laurel for giving the game to the wrong person, but like... five other people voted for him too, ya know?

it's weird how at the end of survivor i can't wait for them to do it all again. next season looks fun!!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Seriously, I'm happy with Wendell's win, but man if Sebastian wasn't being a baby.

Sebastian was voting Wendell every day of the week because they were like bestest fishing buddies out there. He wasn't voting against Dom, he was voting for someone he respected who he was close to in the game for a really long time. There's a reason they showed that scene of Wendell bringing Sebastian his favorite stinky seashell.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Hay guys, have an amazingly incorrect opinion about the strongest second place finishers in survivor history. These are presumed to be at our above Dom's level.

Parvati, Russell, and Aubry are correct though. :colbert:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just lol if you think parvati and russel deserved to beat sandra

queen outplayed, outwitted, outlasted them every drat day she was out there

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Oh absolutely not. Sandra deserves that 2 million. HvV was stacked though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So I just finished the finale. I wasn't able to watch and post with you guys because I was on a probation, but ironically enough I wouldn't have been watching and posting with you guys anyway because I was on Jury Duty. Which I feel was the Ghost Island cursing me ironically as the Laurel Defender with her same "made the wrong move, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway since everyone else was dumber" fate.

I loved the season. Yeah, it wasn't an up and down game of chess or big moves. But I don't need that. I enjoy it, but there's more than one way to tell a story. This was the Ballad of Dom and Wendell. And I enjoyed that story I thought they were good characters who played good games and the drama of "is this the week one of them falls?" was enough for me even without it never happening. Especially on that second to last moment when Dom gambled on his crazy rear end bluff that saved his idol but probably cost him the game. That's a hell of a story.

But drat Angela and Sebastian are dumb. I mean, as the Laurel Defender I can admit she definitely got kind of pathetic by the end there but at least she had reasoning, whether you agreed with it or not. Sebastian and Angela I just don't know WTF.

Also an amazing moment.
"JEFF PROBST!"
"WHAT?"
"I THINK I'M DONE!"

I already hate that "I study the game" guy.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I put down Angela's tattle as Dom/Wendell's social game coming around to help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There's no BB thread yet, so I'm just going to trigger STAC and let him know that Frankie Grande is a GUEST MAKEOVER SUBJECT in Drag Race this week.

AND he was chosen specifically by the mini challenge winner (who is also terrible).

• Locked thread