Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im sure all the free speech warriors are on the case offering constructive support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If Luke Foley understands that white flight means white people leaving and they are actually doing that, what has he done wrong?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

If Luke Foley understands that white flight means white people leaving and they are actually doing that, what has he done wrong?

John Howard simply wanted to decide who came to this country, and the manner in which they came. What did he do wrong?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

racing identity posted:

John Howard simply wanted to decide who came to this country, and the manner in which they came. What did he do wrong?

Yeah that makes perfect sense. You see it's the same because they're both about race. That is your sum understanding of what I asked. Not everyone knows what "white flight" refers to beyond white people leaving for bad reasons and it gets used as a catch all. Having people move out of areas en masse is a problem since it uproots community based infrastructure and a lot of that local wealth leaves as well.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the point is that they were both obvious dog whistles but you only think one of them is bad

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/safe-access-zones-legislation-upper-house-nsw

quote:

During the debate, Christian Democrat reverend Fred Nile claimed a nearby abortion clinic had a plumbing problem when its sewerage pipes were blocked by "baby body parts".
"They had to get the plumbers in to find out what was blocking the sewerage pipes and you'll be disgusted to know it was baby body parts, little arms, little legs, parts of bodies of babies that had been aborted," Nile said.
NSW is close to stopping people from harassing women outside clinics

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Howard never addressed it and apologised because he understood the meaning of his words. Foley used what he thought was a saying.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

'white people moving' isn't an issue that needs to be addressed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

'white people moving' isn't an issue that needs to be addressed.

It actually is when it vacuums all the money out of an area

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/opinion-i-m-a-real-estate-agent-and-this-is-why-we-should-keep-no-grounds-evictions

Lol

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
He apologised for the racist phrase, not the racist sentiment.

Luke Foley posted:

Something like three-quarters of the Syrian and Iraqi refugees are settling around Fairfield. It’s all right to come up with a grand gesture of we’ll take 10,000 Syrian or Iraqi refugees but where’s the practical assistance?

The intended message of this statement is not that Western Sydney is underserviced, it's that there's too many refugees there. He could have made the same point without mentioning refugees at all.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

JBP posted:

It actually is when it vacuums all the money out of an area

Then why frame it as white flight, when the issue isn't actually white flight?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Acting like it's a problem rather than just a demographic change.

Pro tip: if it's not about race but instead about community fragmentation or erosion of tax base and you make it about race, then you're being racist by conflating money and community with being white and as such poorness and fragmentation with being not white. Jfc JBP you're better than this.

hooman fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 24, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

Then why frame it as white flight, when the issue isn't actually white flight?

Because white people... Are rich.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/999588296400371712

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Beyond Luke Foley being an rear end as usual, I'm finding the controversy insanely confusing, since I thought "white flight" was a technical term to describe the phenomena of white people leaving areas of perceived economic or social distress (with the perception often being tied to the desegregation of the suburb more than any actual economic impact), to resettle elsewhere. All the awful saffers who left South Africa to settle here, for example.

Like one of the criticisms around NAPLAN I remember reading about years ago was that it promoted white flight.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

Sorry to add to the tweetfest but it's news from this morning:

https://twitter.com/RossAndJohn/status/999415141467807744

but

https://twitter.com/JmarrMarr/status/999488791223005184

:tinfoil: well she was doing actual journalism on Sky whoops.

That's sad, she seemed to be a good journalist there, compared to the right wing morons that overfill most of Sky News these days.

And white flight is god drat racist stop being a loving prat about things JBP you private school twit.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's so ridiculously self-serving, but I'll bite.

quote:

Removing the option for a ‘no-grounds’ eviction would make investment less appealing to landlords and would likely see an increase in short, fixed-term leases. Tenants are already competing with the likes of Airbnb, which is gradually taking long-term rental homes off the market.

The reason they're competing with airbnb is because it's a dodgy form of "renting" which has less protection for tenants than the already dodgy system. If removing no-grounds eviction gives the absent investment property landlord the shits and they leave, that's good for the rental market.

quote:

We need legislation that continues to make long-term property investment appealing to landlords while protecting tenants from those who do the wrong thing.

No we don't, we need the absent investment property landlords out of the market, try again.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

In the replies she's getting baited by someone who said her clothes were rubbish, I think she knows she looks like a clown

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Because white people... Are rich.
There's an obvious solution here, but you're missing it because you're fine with POC as long as they're poor and subservient, making your food.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/999605056331661313

Caleb has competition.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Do they just have a bunch of clones stacked away to role out and try influence young people?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Fauxbot posted:

Beyond Luke Foley being an rear end as usual, I'm finding the controversy insanely confusing, since I thought "white flight" was a technical term to describe the phenomena of white people leaving areas of perceived economic or social distress (with the perception often being tied to the desegregation of the suburb more than any actual economic impact), to resettle elsewhere. All the awful saffers who left South Africa to settle here, for example.

Like one of the criticisms around NAPLAN I remember reading about years ago was that it promoted white flight.

Yeah, at the risk of getting dogpiled here, that was my understanding of it too. Like I get the point of what dogwhistles are and how they work, but in this circumstance I honestly could see it being a case of misspeaking/obliviousness or whatever rather than deliberately going after that sweet sweet bigot vote. I'm not saying we should just give the benefit of the doubt whenever anyone is accused of racism, but idk if a fairly obscure (in Australia) American political term with racist connotations being used in that context is really the second coming of the gestapo like some people are making it out to be, especially given who the people getting super outraged in the media are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

There's an obvious solution here, but you're missing it because you're fine with POC as long as they're poor and subservient, making your food.

Yeah because I totally don't want them to take advantage of what is already in place rather than end up in segregated ghettos that get ignored because all the squeaky wheel whiteys left.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

Do they just have a bunch of clones stacked away to role out and try influence young people?

It's called Kings College

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Imagine claiming you're an outsider when your politics is printed on the money

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh loving hell, they're multiplying

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Caleb has competition.

This doesn't' have to be a competition, face punches are not a limited resource.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I read this entire page and watched the video and was about to leave confused as what "Caleb has competition" even meant when I realised it wasn't him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

This doesn't' have to be a competition, face punches are not a limited resource.

Competition for Beautiful Daisy's affection.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

In the replies she's getting baited by someone who said her clothes were rubbish, I think she knows she looks like a clown

Not going to lie. My first thought was that Daisy is an adult dressed like a child having a prim and proper tea party with her stuffed animals.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

racing identity posted:

He apologised for the racist phrase, not the racist sentiment.

The intended message of this statement is not that Western Sydney is underserviced, it's that there's too many refugees there. He could have made the same point without mentioning refugees at all.

What if it's under serviced because there is too many refugees there? 🤔

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Actually the monarchy is.... Good.... Fellow hu-man

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh loving hell, they're multiplying

There’s zero chance any of these nerds have ever or will ever have sex

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

My theory is Sky News is piloting a 'Conservative eye for the incel guy' show

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe that was the story behind Dutton's Au Pairs border incident thing he won't discuss.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
NBN Co on Thursday night announced it had dumped plans to provide 100 megabit per second (mbps) speeds on its fixed wireless network.

"We killed it," NBN boss Bill Morrow told a Senate Estimates committee.

Fixed wireless uses mobile phone technology to provide broadband to properties in regional areas.

Mr Morrow said consistently achieving 100mbps would cost "billions and billions of dollars" — a taxpayer spend he described as "outrageous".

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DancingShade posted:

Not going to lie. My first thought was that Daisy is an adult dressed like a child having a prim and proper tea party with her stuffed animals.
Yes her clothes certainly make her opinion more/less egregious. Ffs....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

Yes her clothes certainly make her opinion more/less egregious. Ffs....

That's not what ds said. She looks like a fuckwit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

NBN Co on Thursday night announced it had dumped plans to provide 100 megabit per second (mbps) speeds on its fixed wireless network.

"We killed it," NBN boss Bill Morrow told a Senate Estimates committee.

Fixed wireless uses mobile phone technology to provide broadband to properties in regional areas.

Mr Morrow said consistently achieving 100mbps would cost "billions and billions of dollars" — a taxpayer spend he described as "outrageous".

lol good thing the government didn't go all in on wireless like they wanted to.

• Locked thread