Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeaborneClink posted:

Because they have to descend them faster after the point?

It's passive aggressive as gently caress. It means that they technically shouldn't take a handoff on the aircraft if they have any traffic for it, which would make them have to call you, which can be annoying. If you do it properly, you've already looked at their traffic, and made a control decision (the decision to clear him vertically through their airspace) for them.

Some people don't mind. Some people get PISSED. It helps when your areas already hate each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I do the same thing to our adjacent area, and it pisses them off similarly. :v:

So ZDV does a bunch of really weird and dumb poo poo. Everyone that transfers here knows it and brings it up and even though like 80% of the building is probably transfers, nothing changes. There have been issues between my area and the low area regarding DEN landers for a while. Every now and then someone gets hung up too long, shipped too late, or whatever and can't make the restrictions on the arrival and approach apparently won't stand for this. So like twice a year the low area that finishes the sequence has to spin an airplane because of this. They've been trying to get something worked out for a while and finally bitched enough to get a collaborative work group going. The result of this collaborative work group is some insane system of arcs where an airplane hast to be at or below FL 350 and descending to FL 270 and a communication transfer point where we have to switch the aircraft. Is there traffic you want to get them under? Too loving bad because any clearance to get them under it is going to be wiped out by the low controller giving a descend via clearance on contact. I guess we're supposed to call them and reference any possible traffic beforehand? I'm sure that will go over well. Do I just ship the aircraft at the transfer point regardless of whether or not the low has the handoff yet? Who the gently caress knows!

We had some completely nonconstructive briefings this last week about it. Myself and several other people were questioning why the gently caress don't we just use crossing restrictions like the rest of the civilized world? Apparently the low area wanted this but the completely disgruntled reps from my area that have never been anywhere else are absolutely against this happening. So now we have this dumb poo poo that goes into effect in a week. I'm trying to convince my area that crossing restrictions are the way to go. The main "concerns" are that they cause "excess verbiage" and will somehow have some kind of effect on your sequence? So on Tuesday I said gently caress it and just started giving crossing restrictions. Remember, the low area supposedly wants this. After I gave the first couple I called the low area and asked what they thought and the guy working didn't seem to have an issue with it. I personally liked it because I'm used to that poo poo from my last facility and it removes any questions of what the gently caress that airplane is doing. Long story long, I find out at the end of that session that the low area was bitching to the FLM that I was "causing issues" by giving the crossing restrictions and that he needed to make me stop. I was shipping some of the aircraft before they'd started down because I didn't have any traffic. The low guy would give the descend via and apparently a couple pilots asked if they still needed to make the crossing restriction. The low guy having to say no was the "issue". You just can't win. I'm going to keep doing it though because it works great and we need to be doing that poo poo anyway.

MrYenko posted:

It's passive aggressive as gently caress. It means that they technically shouldn't take a handoff on the aircraft if they have any traffic for it, which would make them have to call you, which can be annoying. If you do it properly, you've already looked at their traffic, and made a control decision (the decision to clear him vertically through their airspace) for them.

Some people don't mind. Some people get PISSED. It helps when your areas already hate each other.

Yeah, this is just giving a restriction to the bottom of my stratum/the top of theirs. Not even into their loving airspace.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

So ZDV does a bunch of really weird and dumb poo poo. Everyone that transfers here knows it and brings it up and even though like 80% of the building is probably transfers, nothing changes. There have been issues between my area and the low area regarding DEN landers for a while. Every now and then someone gets hung up too long, shipped too late, or whatever and can't make the restrictions on the arrival and approach apparently won't stand for this. So like twice a year the low area that finishes the sequence has to spin an airplane because of this. They've been trying to get something worked out for a while and finally bitched enough to get a collaborative work group going. The result of this collaborative work group is some insane system of arcs where an airplane hast to be at or below FL 350 and descending to FL 270 and a communication transfer point where we have to switch the aircraft. Is there traffic you want to get them under? Too loving bad because any clearance to get them under it is going to be wiped out by the low controller giving a descend via clearance on contact. I guess we're supposed to call them and reference any possible traffic beforehand? I'm sure that will go over well. Do I just ship the aircraft at the transfer point regardless of whether or not the low has the handoff yet? Who the gently caress knows!

We had some completely nonconstructive briefings this last week about it. Myself and several other people were questioning why the gently caress don't we just use crossing restrictions like the rest of the civilized world? Apparently the low area wanted this but the completely disgruntled reps from my area that have never been anywhere else are absolutely against this happening. So now we have this dumb poo poo that goes into effect in a week. I'm trying to convince my area that crossing restrictions are the way to go. The main "concerns" are that they cause "excess verbiage" and will somehow have some kind of effect on your sequence? So on Tuesday I said gently caress it and just started giving crossing restrictions. Remember, the low area supposedly wants this. After I gave the first couple I called the low area and asked what they thought and the guy working didn't seem to have an issue with it. I personally liked it because I'm used to that poo poo from my last facility and it removes any questions of what the gently caress that airplane is doing. Long story long, I find out at the end of that session that the low area was bitching to the FLM that I was "causing issues" by giving the crossing restrictions and that he needed to make me stop. I was shipping some of the aircraft before they'd started down because I didn't have any traffic. The low guy would give the descend via and apparently a couple pilots asked if they still needed to make the crossing restriction. The low guy having to say no was the "issue". You just can't win. I'm going to keep doing it though because it works great and we need to be doing that poo poo anyway.

Yeah, this is just giving a restriction to the bottom of my stratum/the top of theirs. Not even into their loving airspace.

:allears:

That makes it EVEN BETTER.

We have a stupid restriction going into the area in question for MCO landers. 35nm south BAIRN at 170. We’ve been asking for YEARS to get a fix added to the BAIRN and GOOFY arrivals so that we don’t have to say “cross thirty five miles south of BAIRN at one seven thousand” to every aircraft, a considerable number of which have marginal English skills. No dice. “It’ll take MONTHS to get a fix flight checked.” Meanwhile, YEARS later...

I negotiated descending to FL190 with that area, released for turns and descent, which they agreed to, and my airspace office kicked it back because “it won’t pass SRM, because VLJs won’t be able to make the restriction.”

Burn it all to the ground. Salt the Earth. Embrace chaos.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Solution: kill all VLJ owners, no more issue! :v:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PT6A posted:

All 3 of them?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Really just a waiting game.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Denver approach just shut everyone off because of a 6 knot wind change. They were anticipating it happening too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The cornerpost center sector that's notorious for screwing the DFW Feeder controller actually felt so bad about a feed last week that they sent cupcakes to apologize.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

The cornerpost center sector that's notorious for screwing the DFW Feeder controller actually felt so bad about a feed last week that they sent cupcakes to apologize.

One of our guys likes to wait for the day after really bad weather days and get TMU sarcasm doughnuts. They won’t eat them, because they assume he’s done something to them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's non-radar eval day and some of my classmates are freaking out? More points are available from academics than non-radar.
Based on what instructors and other students have said about the evals, they're nowhere near a difficult as most of the practice problems we ran.
Enroute across the way just graduated with 8/18. All classes graduating after May 5th only get one choice per student now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Enroute across the way just graduated with 8/18. All classes graduating after May 5th only get one choice per student now.

This org is so hosed. Of the people that have checked out after me, more than half already have ERRs in (two who got in before the lottery started, and one other who’s wife works at a tower nearby,) and we just lost a stage III Developmental to a hardship to ZTL, close to where he’s from. Four more of our soon-to-certify Devs are clear want-to-go-home-where-my-whole-godamn-family-is ERRs, and we are losing at least two CPC transfers who are going back where they came from, because level 11 pay for this level of traffic is a loving joke.

The class position lottery is loving horseshit, is what I’m saying. So is my complete and utter lack of job portability caused by this agency being unable to manage its way out of a wet paper bag.

gently caress the FAA. Privatize. Burn it all to the ground. Salt the earth. Embrace chaos.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

It's non-radar eval day and some of my classmates are freaking out? More points are available from academics than non-radar.
Based on what instructors and other students have said about the evals, they're nowhere near a difficult as most of the practice problems we ran.

Not all nonradar evals are created equal. I got a 82 on one and a 100 on the other. The one I got 100 on was literally just like day 1 of nonradar stuff where the other eval had a ton of poo poo going on. Way more points available in radar, don't stress about nonradar too much.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Evals were definitely all over the board. I got lucky on both with fairly easy problems. The "complicated" part for both involved someone at 160/170 and descending through several different aircraft on several airways. I said "gently caress this" and got a their DME when they were 17 or more from the fix then drop em. A lot easier than figuring out crossing restrictions.
Ended up with a 86.9 and 93.89. Some of my classmates didn't do great and are losing their minds.

Talked to the class that graduated. Of the 8, 1 went to ZNY, 2 to ZME, 2 to ZDC, 2 to ZMP, forgot the last one.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Hey Yenko, how do you ZMA guys feel about the possibility of ZSU getting consolidated into Miami? Pretty much everyone here is desperate for it to happen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the culminator posted:

Hey Yenko, how do you ZMA guys feel about the possibility of ZSU getting consolidated into Miami? Pretty much everyone here is desperate for it to happen.

I’d welcome it, since we could combine our Ocean area (which isn’t really oceanic, but isn’t really domestic either,) with them, split that off into its own facility, and then probably actually get our 12 (Lol 2020 at the earliest, gently caress you Rinaldi you incompetent trash.) We have the room, and it would get them out of loving San Juan. I’ve mentioned here before; ZSU was having intermittent power issues for weeks BEFORE the hurricane hit Puerto Rico. That is not a place for something like a CERAP.

The old control room would be perfect for a co-located ZSU/Ocean, but the FAA will never do it, because change is hard, and scary, and management is literally full of the people who couldn’t hold down a real job in the outside world, just trying to pass the buck until retirement.

As an example, it’s been over two YEARS since one of our areas gave away their terminal sector to PBI approach, and they’re still essentially a two or three sector area (they have four on paper, but one has less than an hour of time open for 2017, and another opens after nine, and closes before seven. That area was the slowest in the building BEFORE they gave away one of their two busiest sectors, and they have dick for complexity, on top of having no count, and being a low-altitude-only area.

Meanwhile, we have five open every day, (plus two that open during peak times,) with D-sides, and less staffing. I just got an email today with MITRE’s assessment of the submitted airspace realignment plans, and it’s the same thing that we proposed over two years ago, and still no one with the authority to do it is willing to put their name on an actual substantive decision.

gently caress this place, burn it all, salt the earth, embrace chaos.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
NATCA just shared that there will be two open hiring announcements soon.

NATCA posted:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will be posting two announcements for controller applicants in the upcoming weeks. The first is an N90 local commuting area no experience (Track 1) announcement to be assigned to New York TRACON (N90). That will be open on June 19, 2018, for eight days closing on June 25, 2018. Then on June 27, 2018, and lasting for six days closing on July 1, 2018, will be an all-sources announcement for no experience applicants (Track 1) for nationwide hiring.

"Thanks to NATCA's advocacy, there was a change in the law allowing us to post an announcement to hire applicants with no experience within a local commuting area," FAA Acting Administrator Dan Elwell said during remarks at NATCA in Washington on May 21.

Stay tuned to NATCA's social media outlets for more information once the job announcements are posted.

This phrasing is confusing to those not in the industry, so at the risk of repeating what's said above, I'll try to re-word it. I believe Track 1 refers to the hiring path that requires people to take the Biographical Questionaire? Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

The first announcement (June 19-25) will be an open hire, no experience required announcement for assignment to New York TRACON only, and only people in the TRACON's "local commuting area" are eligible. Not sure what kind of radius that is, but there you go. I'll call this the "show up and wash out" track.

The second announcement is open from June 27-Jul 1 and will be for nationwide hiring, no experience needed.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 14, 2018

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe
I am currently applying to Nav Canada. Submitted my essay and completed the cognitive test. Less than 12 hours later I was given a seat at the big assessment test in July. They must be hurting for people. Anyone else applying in the Edmonton region? Work in said region?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bhurak posted:

I am currently applying to Nav Canada. Submitted my essay and completed the cognitive test. Less than 12 hours later I was given a seat at the big assessment test in July. They must be hurting for people. Anyone else applying in the Edmonton region? Work in said region?

NavCanada actually knows how to loving hire people. The FAA treats it like some grand sociological experiment, changes the rules every time, and likes to hire based on what some big foreheads stuck in an office building in Occupied North Texas think will work, rather than what people who actually do the job think will work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

This org is so hosed. Of the people that have checked out after me, more than half already have ERRs in (two who got in before the lottery started, and one other who’s wife works at a tower nearby,) and we just lost a stage III Developmental to a hardship to ZTL, close to where he’s from. Four more of our soon-to-certify Devs are clear want-to-go-home-where-my-whole-godamn-family-is ERRs, and we are losing at least two CPC transfers who are going back where they came from, because level 11 pay for this level of traffic is a loving joke.

The class position lottery is loving horseshit, is what I’m saying. So is my complete and utter lack of job portability caused by this agency being unable to manage its way out of a wet paper bag.

gently caress the FAA. Privatize. Burn it all to the ground. Salt the earth. Embrace chaos.

You guys just grabbed someone from my old area at ZKC. My running hypothesis is that he's going there to do the thing from Dexter where he disposes of bodies in the ocean, because he's totally a serial killer.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Interesting to read all this from the pilot side.
Seattle has been in complete meltdown the past two days, apparently due to 'staffing' we were told, it's been BKN019 and landing north which puts them in complete and utter chaos mode. 2 hr EDCTs for everybody because... BKN019 and landing north.
What in the actual gently caress...
Yenko, I agree, burn it all down and start over...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Slaughter posted:

Interesting to read all this from the pilot side.
Seattle has been in complete meltdown the past two days, apparently due to 'staffing' we were told, it's been BKN019 and landing north which puts them in complete and utter chaos mode. 2 hr EDCTs for everybody because... BKN019 and landing north.
What in the actual gently caress...
Yenko, I agree, burn it all down and start over...

From a Canadian pilot's side, NavCanada is great to deal with and I've never had a problem with them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

No clue what's going on there, but a not insignificant number of facilities and areas within facilities are an extended medical DQ or two away from poo poo hitting the fan. A couple of people getting each other sick and being out for a couple of days will do this too, especially if no one is eligible for overtime. There is absolutely no backup plan for medical issues. Hell, one of the areas at my old facility had 3 lady controllers knocked up at the same time. That'll gently caress things up too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

quote:

"FAA will reschedule the nationwide recruitment effort for air traffic controllers slated for June 27. We will keep everyone updated as we develop a new recruiting schedule."

RIP hiring.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Source? I got my neighbor’s kid excited to apply.

:v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Source? I got my neighbor’s kid excited to apply.

:v:

Trish Gilbert said that was the direct quote from the FAA. Not sure where exactly.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you need to be under 30 years old to apply for an air traffic controller job?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RCarr posted:

Do you need to be under 30 years old to apply for an air traffic controller job?

You have to receive your tentative offer letter on or before your 31st birthday. Theoretically, you can apply up to that day, but 29-30 is the effective cutoff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Today's SCOTUS ruling doesn't have much of an effect on NATCA since we already have the thing where we represent non-members, correct?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

You have to receive your tentative offer letter on or before your 31st birthday. Theoretically, you can apply up to that day, but 29-30 is the effective cutoff.

drat, so if I turned 31 this month I'm screwed huh? :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For the pilots in here, is wind shear on takeoff not as much of an issue as it is on arrival? We've been shut off to Denver for like an hour and every gate is holding 20-30+ but they're still sending aircraft out so I can only assume that's the case?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

For the pilots in here, is wind shear on takeoff not as much of an issue as it is on arrival? We've been shut off to Denver for like an hour and every gate is holding 20-30+ but they're still sending aircraft out so I can only assume that's the case?

It's a big deal for both. Really bad windshear, the kind that will knock your rear end out of the sky, pretty much only comes from thunderstorms so it tends to be pretty localized. With Denver's physically massive layout it's fesiable that a storm on a 4 mile final may make it impossible to land but fine for takeoff because you're going to be 7-8 miles away from the storm once you depart.

Of course that only works right up until a departure gets a 20 knot loss and suddenly all of us pilots decide it may not be a great idea to take off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

It's a big deal for both. Really bad windshear, the kind that will knock your rear end out of the sky, pretty much only comes from thunderstorms so it tends to be pretty localized. With Denver's physically massive layout it's fesiable that a storm on a 4 mile final may make it impossible to land but fine for takeoff because you're going to be 7-8 miles away from the storm once you depart.

Of course that only works right up until a departure gets a 20 knot loss and suddenly all of us pilots decide it may not be a great idea to take off.

Don’t worry, TMU will keep departures going until a CRJ falls out of the loving sky.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
San Juan is being put back on the list for academy classes because no one is volunteering to go there. It's going to take up to four slots per class.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

San Juan is being put back on the list for academy classes because no one is volunteering to go there. It's going to take up to four slots per class.

“This facility sucks, and we can’t staff it? Let’s force people to go there! That will surely solve all our issues and not result in follow-on effects later!”

Dumb fucks.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The email said "hopefully this spurs some of you to volunteer." Riiight.
Coincidentally, a couple of guys that transferred out of there were in OKC. Our instructor had them come into the class and talk about working there.
"The facility is a great place to work. Everyone's really nice, and it's a fun environment. Living in PR is paradise. Well, until the hurricane. I left at the end of May, and still had blackouts daily. It's getting better though!"
A ringing endorsement.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WTF was going on in / near ORD today?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

movax posted:

The same thing that happens every summer, convective activity! :shopkeeper:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

movax posted:

I was at home near ORD drinking beer. Apparently I picked a good day to not be at work.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe
I just finished the 5 hour assessment for Nav Canada. The proctor said there was a 50% fail rate. I feel pretty good about it but I'll find out in a week or two.

My ex wife is a psychologist so when she was in school I was the captive audience for a number of IQ tests and the whole examination was basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qpid Stunt
Jul 4, 2018
All i'll say is that I thought I had a high pressure job what with being a Chef and all that goes with it.... but you guys are the ultimate pressure junkies. Much respect!!