Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Caption: leader of political party with roots in the labour movement denounces syndicalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’ll never understand why people disliked Rae days. It was better than losing your job entirely.

What I see here is how the 20% liberal support is gonna split a lot of votes and give the PCs a majority.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Liberals on point:

https://twitter.com/Blopinski/status/999795078284693504

xtal posted:

Caption: leader of political party with roots in the labour movement denounces syndicalists

lol. Yes, a bunch of "anarchists" smashed up some shops, why won't the head of the NDP and the MPP for the area stand up for them?

Can you believe she denounced wanton acts of vandalism? Why wasn't she down there with them, putting a brick through the front of a doughnut shop in solidarity?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 25, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is she going to denounce other "anarchist" actions like the 8 hour work day? She isn't any better than the Proud Boys who tried to cash in on reactionary sentiment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

xtal posted:

She isn't any better than the Proud Boys who tried to cash in on reactionary sentiment.

Nuclear loving take right here.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

Is she going to denounce other "anarchist" actions like the 8 hour work day?

Do you mean that if you like one thing that a “group” does then you have to support everything they do?

Hmm. I...mmm. Gonna need to sit with that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

xtal posted:

Horwath has been abject garbage for longer than most of you have known her name

There's garbage and then there's garbage

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ll never understand why people disliked Rae days. It was better than losing your job entirely.

I used to know a guy from Sudbury who thought that "Rae days" meant that Bob Rae declared a provincial holiday in his own name as though he was a Stalinist dictator. Yes, this was an adult. Dude would get enraged at the mention of his very name.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

There's garbage and then there's garbage

Sorry mate, she wasn't throwing garbage cans through windows on Locke St. she's worse than Killary

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

do we even know if it was the anarchist bookstore people who did the smashing

e: also not seeing where horvath specifically denounced anarchists :confused:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 25, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well the cops arrested Cedar Hopperton of The Tower. As to what we know beyond that, :shrug:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/989672637025652737

https://twitter.com/SwansonArt/status/999463641270444032

Life comes at you fast

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Meltdown May continues to deliver.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Wasn't a lot of the Democratic base in the States admitting they didn't bother to vote because they figured Hillary was going to win? (along with pretty much the entire world)

They stayed at home because the democrats are a poo poo party that nominated a right wing candidate.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don't forget how her million dollar brain genius consultants told her she didn't have to actually campaign. Just put an Iowa filter on your snaps and do some dabs with Katy Perry or whatever, it's fine

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 25, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

infernal machines posted:

The polls as a general bellwether of voter sentiment are probably accurate, it's just that information cannot be used to make seat projections with any degree of accuracy. It's not really the pollsters that are the problem so much as charlatans claiming to know anything more than which way the wind is blowing.
yeah I basically agree with this

it seem the basic story is NDP consolidating dissatisfied liberal votes which make sense and the PC having a little bit of doubt cuz FORD isn't nearly as charismatic as TRUMP and the anti-mattering field doesn't apply to him. But I don't trust polls enough to actually give accurate margins on PoV let along seats.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Wirth1000 posted:

Wasn't a lot of the Democratic base in the States admitting they didn't bother to vote because they figured Hillary was going to win? (along with pretty much the entire world)

everything is pointing to the PC being the Democrats of Ontario though

they seem to be really good at throwing elections

my "libertarian" co-worker (he emailed the FORD campaign a month ago or something offer some ideas on how to beat wynne he's well-off upper middle class guy whose basically stereotypical hate the government type) brought in local newspaper from his home riding (GTAish) last week, where the liberal/NDP/PC/Green candidates printed their platform on transportation

basically liberal person have super detailed GTA oriented plan, NDP has sorta GTA-oriented plan, green basically has "electrify all the things"

the PC dude had shortest platform the focus of which was a train-line to Ottawa or something, little/nothing on projects which would actually benefit the people voting for him

my co-worker was like the PC are phoning it in and idiots cuz based on this newspaper page I'd be voting liberal and he thinks "the conservatives might be done" based on how lovely their campaign is

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 25, 2018

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Typo posted:

everything is pointing to the PC being the Democrats of Ontario though

they seem to be really good at throwing elections

Good.

Gooood

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I need an NDP majority because it will complete the Toronto Sun meltdown trilogy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's a clean burning hell, I tell you hwat

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

mr greek killing it

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
A snowblower ad sharing space with firey hell seems ill advised

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I need an NDP majority because it will complete the Toronto Sun meltdown trilogy.

If there's an NDP majority the Toronto Sun itself will spontaneously burst into flame, immolating the entire staff in a white hot pyre of outrage.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
I can share some details from the 'battlefield' for the Ontario election, for what it's worth. I was brought out from Alberta to Ontario to manage an ONDP campaign in Southwestern Ontario. The incumbent is a PC and the ONDP took 2nd here in the 2014 provincial. The Liberals here are dead and are running a nobody as their candidate. We've been hearing from past PC voters that they like the local PC MPP but can't stand Doug Ford and many seem to be either coming our way. I ran out of our first sign order last weekend and we can barely keep up with demand. We finally got our 2nd order of 1000 signs today, of which 100 are already accounted for, and I'm getting 10 walk-ins a day to take signs.

When I first arrived last week, my instructions from HQ were basically that we're a 'Tier 3' campaign, so just wave the flag for the benefit of ONDP incumbents in neighbouring ridings and don't do anything stupid. Now they're starting to pour resources into my riding, letting me hire paid canvassers, and sending people over from the neighbouring ridings that they think are a lock. The PC campaign here seems to be in panic mode. The PC incumbent thought he'd cruise to an easy victory and get a cabinet post but now they're pissing their pants.

Really makes you wonder how different this would have gone with Christine Elliot at the helm.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flashy_mcflash posted:

I can't wait for postmedia to die.

Die faster you fucks.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

I can't wait for postmedia to die.

Die faster you fucks.

Im terrified Sinclair is going to buy them up and find new ways to make them even more right wing trashy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Im terrified Sinclair is going to buy them up and find new ways to make them even more right wing trashy.

Sinclair does TV, not newspapers. They're not THAT stupid. Now the guy who bled the Denver Post or those people who ate that SF newspaper alive and use it as a techbro butt rag, those we need to worry about.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh hey, I was going to register for an absentee ballot but apparently you can only do that if you moved away less than 2 years ago. Cool.

There's an exception for attending an educational institution but I assume that means studying, not working. It would be nice if there were some clarity somewhere.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Furnaceface posted:

Foreign ownership of Newspapers would be immediately shut down by the government as of right now

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-plaza-explosion-1.4677404

https://twitter.com/PeelPoliceMedia/status/999848124213579776?s=20

restaurant in Mississauga blew up a couple hours ago, 15 injured is the latest count.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They have 2 guys on video bringing a bomb in.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 25, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

They have 2 guys on video bringing a bomb in.

Crazy. I could see this going about 7 different ways still. They targeted a restaurant so you have to wonder if its business/mob related. But then its an indian restaurant so you wonder if the attackers are race motivated. But then it still could just be anti-western terrorism too. Sounds like no one was too seriously hurt at least, probably a very amateur made bomb.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
Been to that restaurant a couple times, living just up the street on hurontario. Luckily there’s a fire station and two hospitals pretty close to that intersection.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/CP24/status/999955789803638784

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

With two weeks left in the campaign this is a bit worrying.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I hope the ONDP is having daily conference calls with their candidates reminding them to STICK TO THE PLATFORM WHEN THEY TALK.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

With two weeks left in the campaign this is a bit worrying.

Why?

I think this is super needed to get the strategic voting “just please no Doug Ford” off the fence and into the NDP camp.

My mom’s riding is basically Liberal / PC, so she was very much going to vote Liberal because the alternative seemed to be PC. If The NDP surge and it’s obvious, she will probably change her voting intention.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Because two weeks is a lot of time to maintain that kind of lead, especially when you're now the target for both parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Because two weeks is a lot of time to maintain that kind of lead, especially when you're now the target for both parties.

That doesn't take into account the fact that every OLP attack on the NDP ends up turning into a giant self-own.