Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

On the plus side this means there's like no way they're finishing the story in 12 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember, recap episodes mean the team is taking a break for a week to polish their product. In an action-heavy show with slightly ropy visuals, I’m up for that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember, recap episodes mean the team is taking a break for a week to polish their product. In an action-heavy show with slightly ropy visuals, I’m up for that.

well sometimes the reason they need a week isnt so much polish as production is falling apart.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Darth Walrus posted:

Usually that apples like at worst midway through the show, not after 4 episodes.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Is it at least a recap of everything that happened in FMP up until now, or just four episodes?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

Is it at least a recap of everything that happened in FMP up until now, or just four episodes?

I was about to say, it would have made more sense to begin Invisible Victory with a recap.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Eps 1-4 is one book.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AtheistMantis posted:

It was just the first 4 eps of the season.

It’s probably for the best so they can keep the quality up, but it’s disappointing because I really wanted to see where the story goes next. Just have to wait one more week I guess.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Hi yeah greetings from the Gunpla thread

WE'RE GETTING AN RK-92 KIT

Look, I haven't read the novels other than DVMC and even that was years ago, and I know that there's Al-Mecha and the Robot Damashii incarnations, and I'm spoiler-evading like crazy, but even then, I don't give a crap at what I think this is - it's getting bought, in multiple instances, and painted up. One standard Soviet tan or green, one Warsaw Pact country (Leaning towards Czechoslovakia or Romania), and one Soviet client state. Maybe Syria.

Then yeah maybe one just in the original colors, but holy shiiiiiiiiit.

If you don't follow the gunpla thread and didnt see the link to better pictures there, I have the preorder link here with plenty of better pictures:
https://hlj.com/product/gsc93652

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This episode was savage as gently caress.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

This episode was savage as gently caress.

Would you RKommend it?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I enjoyed the attempt to romanise his name.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Szmitten posted:

Seagal Sohsky's another one of his aliases, (episode spoilers) apparently the one the stabbed dude knew him by. Probably a good idea if you're trying to keep on the dl.

Ever since reading the book I was under the impression it was in the Philippines, and the locals definitely look Pinoy as hell. I'll be disappointed if I don't see at least one jeepney while they're here

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
I ended up buying the Metal Build copy of the Arbalest coz it had this sweet docking platform and tons of accessories. But I guess I need to get 3 or so copies of the Savage so I can stage some badass scenes. I suppose a few M9s wouldn't hurt either if I want an SRT team too! :homebrew:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Blight Runner posted:

I ended up buying the Metal Build copy of the Arbalest coz it had this sweet docking platform and tons of accessories. But I guess I need to get 3 or so copies of the Savage so I can stage some badass scenes. I suppose a few M9s wouldn't hurt either if I want an SRT team too! :homebrew:

gently caress YOU FOR GETTING IN ON THE METAL BUILD ARBALEST

[spoiler]tell me everything about it[/spoilers]

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Sorry if this is too far off topic. But yea, the Metal Build is pretty awesome. I never knew about the Metal Build series/line until seeing the Arbalest show up for preorder. I'm used to buying figmas and such, so this is quite a jump in quality/design.

It has some good heft, like, if you're gonna spend some dough on a quality toy figure, it has to have some substantial materials and craftsmanship built into it. I was really surprised with all the articulation. If you're an articulation fan, this has got it in spades. I tend to baby my stuff, so when I picked it up, I was shocked with how many random fiddly bits moved. Stuff like all the locking cages for the cockpit, the various joint skirts that can move out the way to maintain immersion. One of the booster modules on the small of back popped off with my clumsy groping and I noticed it had a pretty solid ball joint to keep things in place during posing. Like, it's smooth, but stays in place after you stop. I don't think this is gonna wear down very quickly if you love to flail limbs around.

The paint is pretty awesome, I had to break out some magnifiers to read all the warning labels and decals on it. I freaking love tiny details like that. Manual mentioned something about being careful around the jaw and rear chest area of the chassis. Those areas might experience some paint wear if you arent careful? I figure you should just be super careful before you mount the dagger to the jaw or rifle on the back. I didn't get a chance to set up the diorama, but it does have a few racks to store weapons and the extra hand and modules. I thought that was a clever way to store all the extra parts and still be a part of the diorama. I mean, how do you explain all the extra hands you get in a figma? I'm a goon, not a creepy hand collector! Let me know if there's anything else you want me to check if you are still on the fence about it.

I haven't really collected mecha over the years, but Full Metal Panic is pretty much the only reason I'd get mech stuff. An instant buy for me. I'm seeing some copies on stock at random places. We can be ARX-7 bros! :hfive:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i caught up on this show last weekend and i jsut want to say its extremely epic and im excited and im also sad its not more than 1 cour

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I can definitely vouch for the Arbalest Metal Build figure being amazing and I'm looking forward to the Metal Build Laevatein reprint/improvement coming next month. They teased an M9 also, here's hoping they come through with that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Blight Runner posted:

Sorry if this is too far off topic. But yea, the Metal Build is pretty awesome. I never knew about the Metal Build series/line until seeing the Arbalest show up for preorder. I'm used to buying figmas and such, so this is quite a jump in quality/design.

It has some good heft, like, if you're gonna spend some dough on a quality toy figure, it has to have some substantial materials and craftsmanship built into it. I was really surprised with all the articulation. If you're an articulation fan, this has got it in spades. I tend to baby my stuff, so when I picked it up, I was shocked with how many random fiddly bits moved. Stuff like all the locking cages for the cockpit, the various joint skirts that can move out the way to maintain immersion. One of the booster modules on the small of back popped off with my clumsy groping and I noticed it had a pretty solid ball joint to keep things in place during posing. Like, it's smooth, but stays in place after you stop. I don't think this is gonna wear down very quickly if you love to flail limbs around.

The paint is pretty awesome, I had to break out some magnifiers to read all the warning labels and decals on it. I freaking love tiny details like that. Manual mentioned something about being careful around the jaw and rear chest area of the chassis. Those areas might experience some paint wear if you arent careful? I figure you should just be super careful before you mount the dagger to the jaw or rifle on the back. I didn't get a chance to set up the diorama, but it does have a few racks to store weapons and the extra hand and modules. I thought that was a clever way to store all the extra parts and still be a part of the diorama. I mean, how do you explain all the extra hands you get in a figma? I'm a goon, not a creepy hand collector! Let me know if there's anything else you want me to check if you are still on the fence about it.

I haven't really collected mecha over the years, but Full Metal Panic is pretty much the only reason I'd get mech stuff. An instant buy for me. I'm seeing some copies on stock at random places. We can be ARX-7 bros! :hfive:

For the love of God, link me to where it is in stock

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

MJP posted:

For the love of God, link me to where it is in stock

Normally a far harder request than you'd likely appreciate, but for some reason amiami has had some in stock for a few days: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-034167 Roughly $210 before shipping costs though.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Zebulon posted:

Normally a far harder request than you'd likely appreciate, but for some reason amiami has had some in stock for a few days: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-034167 Roughly $210 before shipping costs though.
I preordered from amiami, absolutely love the convenience of the monthly shipments to save on shipping.

Crunchyroll is still in pre-order mode, so that's worth a try. I don't know when they close pre-orders, never bought from them before.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/200589/Arbalest-VerIV-Metal-Build-Action-Figure-Full-Metal-Panic-IV

And BBT shows in-stock. $4 shipping for a total of 229. I heard good things but I'm too invested in amiami for other kits/models I buy from them.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/63583

Zebulon posted:

I can definitely vouch for the Arbalest Metal Build figure being amazing and I'm looking forward to the Metal Build Laevatein reprint/improvement coming next month. They teased an M9 also, here's hoping they come through with that.
Oh god, an M9 in Metal Build format? Can't have an incomplete SRT squad. Will have to get more than one.... :retrogames:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

I prefer HLJ personally but amiami ain't bad either. Personal Warehouse lets you do monthly shipments (up to 60 days really) on your terms too, while usually having better shipping rates and customer service. BBTS is legit, they just take longer to get stock in and tend to love jacking prices on anything exclusive or in high demand well beyond the cost of just getting it directly rather than relying on the delay on them importing their own stock to sell. Not experienced with Crunchyroll as a store directly but I doubt they're going to gently caress up or anything. So there's three viable options for getting one at least.

As for the M9, they teased the idea of it being in the design stages at least once on social media when they were hyping up the Arby and Lev IV version MBs. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up making one given they can easily double dip on Mao and Kurtz variants, then go balls in on stuff like desert colors and all that. Plus they can do the ECS panels gimmick like the Arbalest at a bare minimum. Maybe do a weapons option set for the Arby and M9s too like they've done in the past for the Robot Damashii releases.

I really can't iterate how wonderful the Metal Build stuff is. Heavy, roughly 7 inches tall (they aim for that height, rather than trying to maintain a specific, concise scale between the various things in the line), lots of detail an accessories and gimmicks and all that fun. It's surprisingly posable given how that tends to suffer on these sorts of heavy figures. The stand doesn't really let you do aerial stuff despite how often the Arby spends airborne jumping around, but it gives you amazing control over how you have it posed. Running poses, slides, combat rolls, standing still, etc are all practical with a bit of time spent understanding how to balance it and work the stand.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Production issues

no ep this week

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the episode aired in Japan so the production issues are either all on crunchyroll or they were down to the wire on finishing it for broadcast and got it to crunchyroll late.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
wow hosed up if true crunchyroll

edit: I guess the direct quote is "Due to production issues, episode 6 will be delayed. We thank for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience."

but it was vague and I assumed the worst because sometimes brains are sad, even about silly things like robuts.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 25, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sousuke: best frog pilot in the world is totally my jam

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Szmitten posted:

I figured it was a reference to Steven Segal in some way.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sousuke: best frog pilot in the world is totally my jam

I enjoyed Sousuke masking and painting the Savage like a giant gunpla, especially when he said it was in memory of Al. Him wondering if that was weird was cute too. I also loved that he had a gun taped to the underside of Lemon's bed and still sleeps there. And all the AS parts being packaged and sold in markets like the impulse buy items at the rack by a checkout anywhere else in the world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I figured it was a reference to Steven Segal in some way.

I enjoyed Sousuke masking and painting the Savage like a giant gunpla, especially when he said it was in memory of Al. Him wondering if that was weird was cute too. I also loved that he had a gun taped to the underside of Lemon's bed and still sleeps there. And all the AS parts being packaged and sold in markets like the impulse buy items at the rack by a checkout anywhere else in the world.

Apparently, ‘Sousuke Sagara‘ itself is a reference to Steven Seagal. Much like Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell, it’s an obviously made-up name. This arc is just the author leaning into the joke.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I am a dummy who just today realized the joke behind the season's name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, ‘Sousuke Sagara‘ itself is a reference to Steven Seagal. Much like Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell, it’s an obviously made-up name. This arc is just the author leaning into the joke.

nah, he decided to use his real name for entering high school because he had never really gone by it before, so it wasn't in any databases.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nah, he decided to use his real name for entering high school because he had never really gone by it before, so it wasn't in any databases.

His real name is Kashim. Helmajistan child soldier, remember?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

His real name is Kashim. Helmajistan child soldier, remember?

he's japanese. kashim is the faux-afghani name he went by as a guerilla.

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

he's japanese. kashim is the faux-afghani name he went by as a guerilla.

Kashim is his Muslim name that his adoptive mujaheddin father gave him. They talk about it a bit more in TSR and souske celebrates Ramadan during the dancing very merry christmas book that got skipped over.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This is the first episode that concerned me about the animation quality. The faces especially in several scenes seemed very lazy to the point that it didn't look like Sousuke. Someone tell me it's not my imagination.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Koirhor posted:

This is the first episode that concerned me about the animation quality. The faces especially in several scenes seemed very lazy to the point that it didn't look like Sousuke. Someone tell me it's not my imagination.

Oh don't worry, that's just Sohsky Seagull. Completely different guy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Koirhor posted:

Yeah, the animation in this episode was sketchy and reminded me of the worst episode of the first season (the one with Shinji's dad). I've heard that this is just a consequence of how the industry runs these days, so while it's disappointing I think I can learn to live with it. I'm just worried about it being due to "production issues" and the chance that it ends up getting worse as the season goes on.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a shorter run of episodes why don't they air when they're done?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That looked a lot better. Fuckin' love that Savage.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
heat hammers look downright adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Goodness those rifles' barrels must be degraded as gently caress, neither of them could hit poo poo.

• Locked thread