Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nine months have passed since teen soldier Sousuke Sagara first became Kaname Chidori's covert protector. In that time, Mithril has been remarkably successful at thwarting Amalgam's efforts, but this has only made Amalgam more determined. Leonard Testarossa's visits with Tessa and Kaname are just preludes to all-out attacks that begin with global communications disruptions. Kaname's status as a Whispered makes her one of Amalgam's main targets, which means that any semblance of a peaceful life at Jindai Municipal High School is now over for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

First ep was pretty cool but I'm sad they skipped a book.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
if it was school focused its for the best

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Their reluctance to stop holding hands was super :kimchi:.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Droyer posted:

First ep was pretty cool but I'm sad they skipped a book.

There is an audio drama covering that book. It is still a shame that they didn't animate it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
remember when this was set present day and now it's set 15 years in the past? weird, huh?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

remember when this was set present day and now it's set 15 years in the past? weird, huh?

I'm glad they didn't try to half-heartedly update it. I was pleasantly surprised when Kaname had a flip phone.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Droyer posted:

I'm glad they didn't try to half-heartedly update it. I was pleasantly surprised when Kaname had a flip phone.

People in japan still use flip phones though...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Droyer posted:

it was the old-rear end escalade in the opening scene at the air base that immediately placed everything for me.

jesus fumoffu came out in 2003. rear end shot of the year territory, people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
here's a summary of the book that got skipped: a rad super american tried to reenact die hard and then tessa got dumped.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Next episode is going to determine the quality of the rest of the season. Hopefully they get it right.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and then tessa got dumped.
by who

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

sousuke. it ended the love triangle which was barely ever there to begin with.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Poor Tessa :(

Glad this show is back.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I greatly enjoyed FMP back in the day. I was surprised how much I could remember as I was watching. The show helped me out too by throwing out the references to jog my memory with things like name dropping Wraith or showing Kaname touching her lips when she saw Leonard.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
sousuke has ditched the TMP for an XM8 shorty and I don't know why that stokes me so.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Can't believe I'd ever be liveposting in an FMP thread again.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

So for people who are aware of what content this is covering, is it Second-Raid-Serious the whole way through or are there Fumoffu-like bits also?

This needs to succeed so Kyoani can make 2moffu out of it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Daedalus1134 posted:

So for people who are aware of what content this is covering, is it Second-Raid-Serious the whole way through or are there Fumoffu-like bits also?

Probably not gonna be any more comedy, which is why it's a shame they weren't able to animate the Christmas one. I only got up to the next book after this one since the translations at that point were so, so bad.

Jesus Christ I remember reading those in high school.

here's a summary of the book that got skipped: a rad super american tried to reenact die hard and then tessa got dumped.

You forgot the part about how that dude is the "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOUR" captain from the end of the first season.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Daedalus1134 posted:

The first season was 3 serious books with comedic short stories interspersed in between, so while the books they're covering are going to be quite serious it's possible they'll still have comedic bits. With this just being one cour though I doubt they'll have time for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fyi the fmp sigma manga covers the rest of the story starting from second raid and that translation is fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Basically zero comedy in Sigma besides a really weirdly placed flashback arc though.

That arc does involve Sousuke saving Christmas on a cruise ship though and I'd be great if it was adapted at some point.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wait more FMP? What is this madness!?

This is rather a surprise.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have a hard time imagining FMP without comedy. The premise is just so ridiculous that without Sousuke losing his mind in between action-adventures I'm not even sure what to think of it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
While it sucks that we apparently missed a full book (I thought they were going to start right from where TSR left off but in a way they did) it seems like it’s ultimately not that important to animate anyway. I feel like by the end of TSR and how Sousuke had acted with Tessa it was pretty obvious they weren’t going to be a thing anymore.

I’m sad that I wasn’t able to finish rewatching the entire series before the new episode aired, because I had completely forgotten about Leonard and Kaname’s interactions. I’ll have everything finished up before the second episode airs though.

I was a little worried about Xebec handling things because their catalogue of titles is a bit more miss than hit with me, but the first episode put those fears to rest.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Black Stones posted:

I’m sad that I wasn’t able to finish rewatching the entire series before the new episode aired, because I had completely forgotten about Leonard and Kaname’s interactions. I’ll have everything finished up before the second episode airs though.

I was a little worried about Xebec handling things because their catalogue of titles is a bit more miss than hit with me, but the first episode put those fears to rest.

I'm kind of glad I didn't rewatch anything beforehand, since I'm pretty sure that this isn't going to have the same amount of polish as Second Raid and I'd just end up being bummed about this season not being done by Kyoto Animation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I liked the comedy parts and the serious relationship parts of FMP and was bored out of my skull by the robot parts; should I expect this to be more of the same compared to the older (non-fumoffu) seasons, or does it trend in one direction or another?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I wouldn't bet against the robots on this one. Sorry, pal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
We will always have Fumoffu for the best mech of both worlds: the funny and the serious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I liked the comedy parts and the serious relationship parts of FMP and was bored out of my skull by the robot parts; should I expect this to be more of the same compared to the older (non-fumoffu) seasons, or does it trend in one direction or another?

It'll probably have more serious relationship and robot parts than the older seasons and less comedy :shrug: We'll see though, exactly what its adapting is still up in the air a bit but it already skipped a mostly-comedy arc that took place between The Second Raid and where Invisible Victory picked up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Zore posted:

It'll probably have more serious relationship and robot parts than the older seasons and less comedy :shrug: We'll see though, exactly what its adapting is still up in the air a bit but it already skipped a mostly-comedy arc that took place between The Second Raid and where Invisible Victory picked up.

Second Raid had the plot arc of Ending Day by Day stretched into a full season, while it seems like this is gonna be more like the first season where they go through each book in a couple episodes. It already looks like they're gonna wrap up Continuing On My Own in the next episode, so they might be able to rush through the rest of the plot at this pace, although I think that would be to the series' detriment.

I could just be talking out of my rear end though, since I only got to right before the end of Burning One Man Force. Someone else who's read the manga or the novels can probably make a better guess at how far they can go with 13 episodes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Second Raid had the plot arc of Ending Day by Day stretched into a full season, while it seems like this is gonna be more like the first season where they go through each book in a couple episodes. It already looks like they're gonna wrap up Continuing On My Own in the next episode, so they might be able to rush through the rest of the plot at this pace, although I think that would be to the series' detriment.

I could just be talking out of my rear end though, since I only got to right before the end of Burning One Man Force. Someone else who's read the manga or the novels can probably make a better guess at how far they can go with 13 episodes.

I’d have to see where i remember reading it, but apparently the staff working on the show has said they plan to finish off the story all the way to the end of the novels, and this season is only going to have 12-13 episodes. Part of me is hoping they really don’t think it’s a good idea to cram all those books into that runtime and that they’re doing a split season.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm kind of glad I didn't rewatch anything beforehand, since I'm pretty sure that this isn't going to have the same amount of polish as Second Raid and I'd just end up being bummed about this season not being done by Kyoto Animation.

It definitely is missing that Kyoani touch. It does feel like a downgrade animation wise and that’s saying something considering when TSR came out. However, Xebec is doing the best job they can and this episode had some quality touches all of it’s own like the hand holding bit. While the animation has taken a small step back, the characters and the tone felt like it picked up right where things left off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

fyi the fmp sigma manga covers the rest of the story starting from second raid and that translation is fine.

Yeah the sigma manga is what I read to fill in the rest of how FMP goes, it's a pretty solid adaptation of the material in my view, though I haven't read the books so I can't say for sure.

I like the robot stuff more than the comedy of FMP, though the comedy was always welcome and worked better than usual for me, and based on what I read in the manga there's some wild robot and general combat stuff coming up that I look forward to seeing anime.

I can't imagine them fitting everything into 13 episodes, but I can think of one dramatic moment that would make for a very solid cliffhanger going into the last stretch, and you could probably do 12-13 episodes to that point and then anywhere from 6-12 to finish up, depending on how much you want to compress stuff. I think something like 12 and 12 is kinda perfect, and I hope they go that route and close out the story properly.

Nice to know they're going to finish one way or another, I really dug this show in the past and I'd given up any hope of seeing an animated conclusion.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, no matter what I'm going to be happy that it's finally getting an animated conclusion after, gently caress, seventeen years? I remember being home legit sick from school while watching the first one, and robots with scaled-up small arms was rad as gently caress to teenage me.

Having a former mujaheddin mercenary forcing himself through school like a normie was always funny, and they could still get pretty touching when Chidori steps back and realizes that oh right, this dude's had a hosed up upbringing. I really liked the date episode with Mizuki where he kissed her like it was no big thing, and after the dust settles and she calls it borderline rape, he goes on talking to Kaname about all the dudes he's kissed, which were actually former comrades being resuscitated, some less successfully than others. Made her feel like poo poo about not considering that.

Leonard seemed to plant the seeds of how messed up Sagara's contradictory existence is in Kana's mind, so I'm hoping drat well the next episode has some TSR levels of savagery going on to drive that point home.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
FMP is good and a return to modern Cold War But With Mecha is SO GOOD

I should really go back and re-watch the original series again, that was one of the first anime I actually really gave a drat about. I had the DVDs and was slowly getting the English VAs' autographs on the inner linings of their respective character's discs.

Those VA-chasin' flashbacks... man, 2004-2007 was lit.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I actually first started posting on forums because of FMP. There was this one fansite I visited a long, long time ago, under a different name...

Sure do miss my youth, and dang if this show isn't a nice way to chase those embers again.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Book/Manga readers: are we going to see any RK-92s this season? Need to see more frogs in action.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

Book/Manga readers: are we going to see any RK-92s this season? Need to see more frogs in action.

Yeah, we definitely got some frogbot action coming up.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Good. my Frog came with those big rear end hammers and I was like 'when do I get to see that?'

fingers crossed. grunt suits best suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Good. my Frog came with those big rear end hammers and I was like 'when do I get to see that?'

fingers crossed. grunt suits best suits.

I just got my frog and considered it a bargain at $45 on Amiami. It was the tan one, no hammers involved. I am jelly as hell of yours.

Shame we'll never get a Behemoth, even not in scale to other FMP Robot Damashiis.

• Locked thread