Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Japanese police don't shoot you but they're allowed to hold you for 23 days without charge, interrogations aren't recorded and psychological torture is the name of the game. They pick their targets which is why they have a 99.8% successful prosecution rate. The Japanese jail system has been condemned for humans rights violations because they make American prisons look like a resort. The idea of any villain going to prison and coming out rehabilitated is absolutely one of the biggest suspensions of disbelief you have to have for this series.

To be fair this is at least 80 or so years in the future so there would be plenty of time for a system to begin actually reforming itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saw a brief documentary on youtube about a former japanese death row inmate who described the process

basically all inmates on the row had to kneel in a room facing the wall until their name was called, at which point they were taken away to be hanged

if your name wasn't called that day you returned to your cell until you went back to do it again

he went through that for years

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

have we actually seen a reformed criminal in this series yet?

I'm trying to think of someone in the show but I think I was remembering the Vigilantes side comic where the police are a bigger deal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

He was busted with hundreds of CDs and DVDs.

That's hosed up, but I'll admit I didn't read the case closely.

Also it's really weird to see physical ware in this day and age. Almost fishy in itself.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A lot of people played Persona 5 and were turned off because the main character getting doxxed in the first arc causing the entire school to flip on them seems almost cartoonishly mean

But my background in Ace Attorney and general knowledge of how Japanese society works meant it was fine for me. The nail that sticks up gets hammered down, and a nail that looks crooked will keep getting hammered until either it looks straight again or you've driven it so far into the board no one can see it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Reading through these my first thought was how jarring I felt watching the kid get hosed up in the interrogation room at the beginning of P5.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

Reading through these my first thought was how jarring I felt watching the kid get hosed up in the interrogation room at the beginning of P5.

It is a good tone setter for just how hosed up things are.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm legit interested to see how MHA handles prisoners and especially people who ended up on as criminals through completely moral actions (say defending themselves and not having All Might to sweet talk the police) or due to official corruption. Interested and a little worried in case they bungle it.

Hunt11 posted:

It is a good tone setter for just how hosed up things are.

It kinda ruined a lot of the game though on account of how it's blatantly clear that everyone in the system was a horrible person and the heroes got like.... six people? Then the ending was like "you've done enough trust the adults". The adults who were complicit in all of this? Like people getting pissed and active enough to enact a little political change after the ending is kind of believable if unlikely. But yeah sure all the cops who were fine with the system are gonna become decent people instead of loving monsters. Sure. Like I get that they wanted to make a point about holding out for intervention, but they kinda did too good a job highlighting how fundamentally broken everything was to be believable things would actually improve at all after the game or that rebellion against broken authority wasn't completely moral. Literally the only reason horrible things didn't happen to everyone sympathetic in the cast was using superpowers to break the law and brainwash people.

That whole game was a string of "bring up hosed up thing, completely botch handling it, go centrism".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

That whole game was a string of "bring up hosed up thing, completely botch handling it, go centrism".

If this was your take on Persona 5 then I am not sure where to even start in arguing you. In the game there are two distinct societies. At the start where magical superpowers and a god work together to ensure that society is horrifically oppressive and that only the most evil can win. Once the evil god is killed and the conspiracy is broken up then we get a society more like us where the bastards usually win but they can't be as blatant about it and perhaps more importantly that through supreme effort then some good can be achieved and that things can change.

I am willing to go into more detail but it will end up getting wildly off topic so if you want then we should either bring this into one of the Persona threads or into pms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm legit interested to see how MHA handles prisoners and especially people who ended up on as criminals through completely moral actions (say defending themselves and not having All Might to sweet talk the police) or due to official corruption. Interested and a little worried in case they bungle it.

It kinda ruined a lot of the game though on account of how it's blatantly clear that everyone in the system was a horrible person and the heroes got like.... six people? Then the ending was like "you've done enough trust the adults". The adults who were complicit in all of this? Like people getting pissed and active enough to enact a little political change after the ending is kind of believable if unlikely. But yeah sure all the cops who were fine with the system are gonna become decent people instead of loving monsters. Sure. Like I get that they wanted to make a point about holding out for intervention, but they kinda did too good a job highlighting how fundamentally broken everything was to be believable things would actually improve at all after the game or that rebellion against broken authority wasn't completely moral. Literally the only reason horrible things didn't happen to everyone sympathetic in the cast was using superpowers to break the law and brainwash people.

Yeah that’s Persona 5s biggest issue. It knows there are problems, it even flirts with the idea of dealing with it, but at the end of the day it retreats back into doing nothing and just engaging in the system as is. As that is all the writers understand

Persona 5 is not a well written game

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 23, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
As a small Christmas present, my fiancee got me the blu ray DVDs for the first season of MHA. I hadn't really opened it up.

But then a couple weeks ago, we (finally) got a PS4 and opted to also get a nice 4k tv. Tonight I was home alone while she was at work and just kinda wanted to veg so I popped in the disc and watched a few episodes.

I gotta say, the quality difference between this and our old TV or my computer monitor is insane - especially in the Deku vs Bakugo or the Nomu fight

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol

https://twitter.com/vincestaples/status/999441982589042688

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Skypie posted:

I gotta say, the quality difference between this and our old TV or my computer monitor is insane - especially in the Deku vs Bakugo or the Nomu fight

On top of that, they actually did a second pass on the animation in the All Might vs. Noumu fight for the Blu-ray. It looks much better, All Might had some issues staying on-model in the broadcast version even if it wasn't a super huge deal. They also removed the broadcast darkening they do to prevent seizures or whatever.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 24, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

If this was your take on Persona 5 then I am not sure where to even start in arguing you. In the game there are two distinct societies. At the start where magical superpowers and a god work together to ensure that society is horrifically oppressive and that only the most evil can win. Once the evil god is killed and the conspiracy is broken up then we get a society more like us where the bastards usually win but they can't be as blatant about it and perhaps more importantly that through supreme effort then some good can be achieved and that things can change.

I am willing to go into more detail but it will end up getting wildly off topic so if you want then we should either bring this into one of the Persona threads or into pms.

Persona 5 wasn't a good enough game for the effort post I already did let alone more.

poo poo like this is why nerd core has always made me deeply suspicious of it's fans. Rappers are loving nerdy already.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 24, 2018

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Persona 5 is great.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Persona 4 was better

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Persona 3 is best

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Persona 2 exists

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Persona 1 is probably out there somewhere as well

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
No one appreciates SMT if...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jeff Foxworthy's new act is weird.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

raocow posted:

Persona 2 exists

Hey, the plot and characters hold up very well. You just have to learn to tolerate the gameplay...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Crucially, Persona 3 has the best soundtrack in the series.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my favorite part of persona 2 is the part where it's a fairly serious story culminating into learning about the villian's tragic backstory on a mountaintop, only for the whole thing to get interrupted by a "hey what's that sound" and everyone walks outside to watch the sudden, literal mecha-nazi invasion

unfortunately this is about as far as i got before i got too tired of the gameplay to continue

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Persona 5 is the best of the modern 3. Though 4 has the best soundtrack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pakled posted:

Crucially, Persona 3 has the best soundtrack in the series.
Close. Persona 3 Portable has the best soundtrack in the series.

Edit: I kept going back and forth on whether to link Sun or Time so have both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylQp6N3uMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNDIDQDHv4

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 25, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Persona 2's gameplay is fine, not great but it's not THAT bad. Honestly the combat was less frustrating than original Persona 3 where you didn't have direct control over your teammates and the levels don't get as tedious as 5's later palaces. People think you need to grind out tons of conversations to get Personas but you really only need a few, especially if you know what the level boss is weak and strong against (by face planting against them once). The only one that's really fighting you is Persona 1 and the PSP remake fixes the bigger UI issues.

In a vacuum I think Persona 4 is probably the overall best even if I personally like Persona 2 the most, but all the spins off its gotten has really diluted its characters. The arena and Q games where they got distilled down into their base character quirks hurt them for me.

PMush Perfect posted:

Close. Persona 3 Portable has the best soundtrack in the series.

Edit: I kept going back and forth on whether to link Sun or Time so have both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylQp6N3uMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNDIDQDHv4

This is the truth.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I don't know why i keep checking back expecting people to be talking about MHA.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I don't know why i keep checking back expecting people to be talking about MHA.

Tomorrow, friend.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Are you caught up on the manga we could have a sidebar where we tiptoe around spoilers

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

You could just hop over to the manga thread, might be easier (and avoid anime-onlys from inadvertently spoiling themselves).

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Manga spoiler: Mandalay looks good in a sweater

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

En Family Mook posted:

Manga spoiler: Mandalay looks good in a sweater

She wears the same outfit in the flash back where Kouta finds out his parents are dead and she consoles him. :ssh:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Eh, just complaining about the persona sidebar.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Well gently caress I was trying to be meta and people went and actually did it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter is up on MS.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, already linked in the manga thread.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A new poster for the upcoming movie was released:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm disappointed we didn't really see Class B do much of anything. I'm gonna assume this will always be the case, but I would gladly trade at least a few class A characters for some of them.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that’s Persona 5s biggest issue. It knows there are problems, it even flirts with the idea of dealing with it, but at the end of the day it retreats back into doing nothing and just engaging in the system as is. As that is all the writers understand

Persona 5 is not a well written game

This sounds exactly like Persona 4 which is really not a good thing. P3 still remains best game even if its pacing is some garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Rhonne posted:

A new poster for the upcoming movie was released:

Are those Deku's shoot-style leg guards?