Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, the core of Nasuverse is having complex world rules and then making them irrelevant with bullshit hacks, so you need a system that models that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Someone did a Unisystem game for nasu stuff (but mostly F/S).

It was PRETTY BAD.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

GURPS is the only system I can think of that allows the sort of customization you'd need, assuming you're doing Servant/Heroic Spirit stuff

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm terrible at FATE. However Cortex might work. Thanks inadvertently!

NGDBSS posted:

I know someone who thought Exalted would work for it.

I let him know as politely as possible that Exalted isn't even a good fit for running an Exalted game.

Fair.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I've found Exalted 3 amenable, though I've also never dealt with Crafting in an Exalted game.
That's what I'd go for if you wanted to make a straight Fate/ adaptation, especially since the Evocations of magical weapons are clearly at least partly inspired by Noble Phantasms.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, the core of Nasuverse is having complex world rules and then making them irrelevant with bullshit hacks, so you need a system that models that.

Yeah, the problem with most "let's model this anime/comic book" games is that most comic books and shonen-adjacent animes are built on the premise of breaking your own rules constantly. It runs pretty contrary to the general tabletop simulationist idea of modeling the universe and playing in it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Now I wonder what system could handle the Nasu-verse. Or how you would even broach it.
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, because the best parts are little character building moments that don't need rules, and the combat is all very badly done and incredibly boring. Also it has the uniquely 3.5 aspect of having to take ages to explain how your build works after you reach higher levels, in order to facilitate that dumb fate thing where everyone explains their powers for hours.

edit: Actually come to think of it the Fate animes are all bad for basically the exact same reasons D&D is generally bad.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 25, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, the problem with most "let's model this anime/comic book" games is that most comic books and shonen-adjacent animes are built on the premise of breaking your own rules constantly. It runs pretty contrary to the general tabletop simulationist idea of modeling the universe and playing in it.

A cool friend of mine pointed out a lot of post-jojo shonen is basically a fantasy wizard duel where you're introducing facts about a superpower to counter your opponent's facts until one of you gets trapped being unable to bullshit out of an opening.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

spectralent posted:

A cool friend of mine pointed out a lot of post-jojo shonen is basically a fantasy wizard duel where you're introducing facts about a superpower to counter your opponent's facts until one of you gets trapped being unable to bullshit out of an opening.

Only post-jojo?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'm terrible at FATE. However Cortex might work. Thanks inadvertently!

Cortex would definitely also work fine, but it's not a pun. :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

spectralent posted:

This is why I prefer shonen that plans things out and shows its work, like Bleach

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Really the question is what you'd ultimately want to do or focus on; Fate/ESL has a number of bullshit conceits you could pick from. You could do it with Strike or Valor if you want it to be about mowing down chumps and boss fights. You could even do a Hillfolk variant if you want to just focus on the relationships between masters and servants and other masters and servants. You could use OVA or Fate or Cortex if you really just need a functional filler of a system.

Fate/Grand Order, on the other hand, is optimally run with Maid.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ettin posted:

This is why I prefer shonen that plans things out and shows its work, like Bleach

so you just never read to the parts with Aizen, huh

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Thirteenth age, your one unique thing defines the one nasuverse rule you get to break.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ettin posted:

:sludgepal:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheChirurgeon posted:

:thejoke:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I still think Nobilis works for statting Servants

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TheChirurgeon posted:

I take it you didn't read to the parts with the nazis?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kurieg posted:

I take it you didn't read to the parts with the nazis?

No I did. But you could abandon any belief of well-thought-outedness well before that when Aizen is just suddenly always behind you.

Though it was hard to see the joke because the whole thing does hold up very well and feel planned through the first soul society arc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Only post-jojo?

Jojo's been going a long time. What's a notable precedent? Even Fist of the North Star doesn't have much of that going on.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Plutonis posted:

I still think Nobilis works for statting Servants

Fascinating! Could you give an example? How about Cu Lancer?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LeSquide posted:

Fascinating! Could you give an example? How about Cu Lancer?

Lemme find Fool of Sounds PBP most people did OCs but someone made FGO Helena

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Anime is bad. Manga too.

Can anyone point me a good boilerplate harassment policy to use for a game convention?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

No I did. But you could abandon any belief of well-thought-outedness well before that when Aizen is just suddenly always behind you.

Though it was hard to see the joke because the whole thing does hold up very well and feel planned through the first soul society arc.

Kubo is on record as saying that whenever he wrote himself into a corner he introduced a new character.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Darwinism posted:

Only post-jojo?

It's my understanding (Though, admittedly, not one backed up by a whole lot of research) that shonen fighting manga originally owed a lot more to martial arts stories rooted in wuxia stuff, where there was an emphasis on styles and techniques. You can see a lot of this in Jojo parts 1 and 2 where the ripple is treated as a style multiple people can use and develop techniques within.

Meanwhile Jojo part 3 was pretty influential by fronting the idea of unique asymmetrical powers. "A guy with solar kung fu fights a guy with vampire body control kung fu" is in the wuxia mold, while "A woman who can turn her body into string fights a man who can recreate a place's history" is in the wizard duel mold.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Kubo is on record as saying that whenever he wrote himself into a corner he introduced a new character.

Ha ha! I think you mean that as a plurality. Why one Visored instead of eight?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Darwinism posted:

Only post-jojo?

I mean, JoJo itself obviously qualifies.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Doc Aquatic posted:

It's my understanding (Though, admittedly, not one backed up by a whole lot of research) that shonen fighting manga originally owed a lot more to martial arts stories rooted in wuxia stuff, where there was an emphasis on styles and techniques. You can see a lot of this in Jojo parts 1 and 2 where the ripple is treated as a style multiple people can use and develop techniques within.

Meanwhile Jojo part 3 was pretty influential by fronting the idea of unique asymmetrical powers. "A guy with solar kung fu fights a guy with vampire body control kung fu" is in the wuxia mold, while "A woman who can turn her body into string fights a man who can recreate a place's history" is in the wizard duel mold.

I mean, somewhat fair, but even the first run of Jojo was a pretty crazy ramping up of stakes and introduction of absurd powers and counters to absurd powers and the villain returning from a frigging decapitation to try and steal the protagonist's body

Also I'd argue the original Dragon Ball did the fantasy wizard duel thing sometimes only much more subdued (until DBZ when it was forced to be the forefront)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
even DBZ was only "wizard battles" in the sense that they shot energy lasers, everyone still basically had the exact same toolset but with different names for their otherwise basically identical energy attacks, it was much more a battle of technique and strength rather than using your unique power to win fights (with notable exception of Majin Buu)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Countblanc posted:

even DBZ was only "wizard battles" in the sense that they shot energy lasers, everyone still basically had the exact same toolset but with different names for their otherwise basically identical energy attacks, it was much more a battle of technique and strength rather than using your unique power to win fights (with notable exception of Majin Buu)

Spirit Bomb and kaioken?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
kaioken literally just made you stronger, and the spirit bomb never worked. it isn't remotely comparable to poo poo like HxH or One Piece

e: indeed there's a pretty palpable sense that magic/tricks are "cheating" in DBZ and people who rely on these powers are clowned on harder than basically anyone else

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Ha ha! I think you mean that as a plurality. Why one Visored instead of eight?
Well, I mean, yes. Kubo was the master of pulling suspiciously smelling ideas out of his rear end.
"HA HA HA YOU THOUGHT HE WAS NUMBER 10 HE IS ACTUALLY NUMBER ZERO!"

Countblanc posted:

And then Dragonball Super happened and Goku ascended to godhood to defeat the dude who's power was basically that one kid on the schoolyard who keeps on going "Nuh-Uh I'm stronger!"

At the end of the last episode the narrator said something to the effect of "And so the show ends until we can figure out how the gently caress to keep scaling up from this."

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Kaioken and Spirit Bomb were literally the only way Vegeta was beaten, they made Goku capable of withstanding Frieza until his other super special technique kicked in and won the fight for him, etc

Hell even Raditz was only beaten because Piccolo had everything-proof-shield-piercing-bullets-the-power

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

And then Dragonball Super happened and Goku ascended to godhood to defeat the dude who's power was basically that one kid on the schoolyard who keeps on going "Nuh-Uh I'm stronger!"

At the end of the last episode the narrator said something to the effect of "And so the show ends until we can figure out how the gently caress to keep scaling up from this."

I remember the loud declarations of, "This is it!!! Finally Goku versus Superman!" and I watched it and thought, 'No, Superman's actually interesting.'

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jiren was a complete garbage pile of a character.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Jiren was a complete garbage pile of a character.

The real complete garbage pile of a character was the friends we made along the way who wouldn't stop talking about anime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
buddy if you don't like anime you came to the wrong subforum.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jiren ftw because he's the goddamn Ayy Lmao alien as the strongest fucker on the multiverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Jiren ftw because he's the goddamn Ayy Lmao alien as the strongest fucker on the multiverse

No that's still Arale.

Kurieg posted:

Arale, the gag manga character.