Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lol it’s not even subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
MH17 investigators have determined the source of the missile that downed it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ontent=20180524

It was from the 53rd Anti Aircraft Battery from Kursk.

No surprise here.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

https://youtu.be/YJRxkAOIv9E

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I realize it isn't a new current event but, Democratic Party still garbage.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/999476113654067200?s=19

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/999811310522167299?s=19

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

my favorite thing about techbros is that once or twice a month someone describes a bus or a train

Like Elon Musk and is dumb rear end hole idea. What people don't get regardless is the massive amount of land it takes to drive and store cars in cities. "solving" traffic jams doesn't account for the hellscape of parking garages and surface lots that we've foisted upon our cities, and even then I have doubts about self driving cars solving congestion.

In urban areas nothing can compete capacity wise with a metro system for efficiently moving people around.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Total Biscuit died. I guess that's a current event? Dude was two months younger than me and now he's dead and that's a little sobering :sigh:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Total Biscuit died. I guess that's a current event? Dude was two months younger than me and now he's dead and that's a little sobering :sigh:

Yeah, not a big fan of him, but man, being under 40 and going out like that is basically my nightmare.

RIP weird British dude with frame rate opinions.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
http://time.com/5291133/rachel-dolezal-welfare-fraud-charges/

Hahahahaha

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Karmic retribution for having a large part in the growth of Gamergate really

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

Karmic retribution for having a large part in the growth of Gamergate really

I really tried to give him a chance when all that poo poo was going down but it became clear he was actively loving with people and using his fanbase to attack them.

Still, he didn’t deserve anything like what happened to him and from what I can tell he calmed the lovely behavior way down in recent years. RIP.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I hope that the only two casualties of Trump’s administration are the Democratic and Republican Parties. The latter are a bunch of conmen, thieves, sycophants and Bible thumpers out to gently caress over everyone who isn’t a rich white male Christian, and the Democrats think that their path to defeating one of the most unpopular presidents in history is to enlist those Republicans who are slightly less odious than Trump.

I’ve never voted for a Republican in my life, but I’m finding it increasingly difficult to enthusiastically vote for Democrats as well. Guess it’s a good thing that I live in DC and my vote is meaningless to begin with.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Democratic party core makes a lot more sense if you stop seeing it as an organization trying to get power to implement policy, and instead see it as an organization that needs to get just enough votes to keep the lobbying spigot turned on and the revolving door to industry for its people open.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheXenonn/status/999788053521575937

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Best Friends posted:

The Democratic party core makes a lot more sense if you stop seeing it as an organization trying to get power to implement policy, and instead see it as an organization that needs to get just enough votes to keep the lobbying spigot turned on and the revolving door to industry for its people open.

It works even better if you stop thinking left or right but like 3 or 4 lefts and 4 or 5 rights.

The parties are not as homogeneous as people want to believe. Also class.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Whats a total biscuit

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

Whats a total biscuit

He is a british videogamesman who did videogame things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boop the snoot posted:

Whats a total biscuit

Apparently a metastasizing rectal tumor

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
being anal got him in the end

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ded posted:

being anal got him in the end

his rectum drat near actually killed him

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

lol Winds of Winter is never gonna be released

https://www.bustle.com/p/george-r-r-martin-new-movie-isnt-game-of-thrones-related-but-it-sure-sounds-like-it-9200111

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I forgot that while he was stanning for Gamergate he told Anita Sarkeesian that the endless amounts of death threats she got for making YouTube videos applying Feminist Critique 101 to video games don't matter cause she's not dead yet.

God what a tool

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm completely ambivalent about TB but I clicked on his twitter feed and it's kind of weird seeing what someone was doing on the internet days or even hours before dying.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm completely ambivalent about TB but I clicked on his twitter feed and it's kind of weird seeing what someone was doing on the internet days or even hours before dying.

He retweeted dogge pics, so I'll call that some redemption towards the end

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Acceptance is the final stage of grief

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/999946962253369347

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/little-did-she-know-alexa-was-recording-every-word-she-n877286

lol if you pay Amazon to spy on you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Like how dumb do you have to be to not yet know that Alexa is spying on you? It's hardly news.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I got one of those Google home mini things with my pixel 2 pre-order and I used it for like 10m to see what it could do and unplugged it and never hooked it back up for that exact reason.

I don't think it really matters cause the pixel 2 probably does the exact same thing but better. I swear I've talked to people about stuff and then seen ads about the same subject within a few hours

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Idiot. I keep mine plugged in as I just shout obscenities and jerk off loudly directly into my alexa. I want them to know what I do. I want their computers to have the same shame and filth I do.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Third World Reggin posted:

Idiot. I keep mine plugged in as I just shout obscenities and jerk off loudly directly into my alexa. I want them to know what I do. I want their computers to have the same shame and filth I do.

This is why the machines are going to kill us all

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't have any of that poo poo. Only "smart" thing that bugs me is stupid goddamn Cortana on Xbox. I'll be in the middle of a conversation with a friend while watching something and Cortanas' turned off rear end will just pop in and be like, "you were looking for tacos?" or some bullshit. I don't know how many times I've turned that poo poo off, just keeps coming back on and being like "Bing has directions for you" or whatever.

gently caress Cortana.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/lehimesa/status/999813206976557057

Losing migrant children to human traffickers to...own the libs?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"losing"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Administration resposne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuf9dM_LgCs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

This is why the machines are going to kill us all

There is a 12 terrabyte database somewhere on the alexa servers full of clips of "piss tape is real"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don't worry, your smart phone is listening to everything you say and do, too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah.

:(

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Yeah I found that out when I had some conversations via text with Holly Boops and then suddenly the poo poo we were talking about was showing up in Facebook ads.

Welp.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
reminder that google is the world's largest advertising company that just so happens to own the most popular web browser and phone operating system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah I found that out when I had some conversations via text with Holly Boops and then suddenly the poo poo we were talking about was showing up in Facebook ads.

Welp.

There's a decent Reply All episode where they address this. Their conclusion is that while it's nigh-impossible to prove a negative, it is far more likely that very carefully crafted algorithms make such spying unnecessary. Even if you never, ever searched for a thing, but talked about it with friends, if your friends look it up, it may reasonably decide to show you an ad for it as well.

A guy at work started having ads show up on facebook for books related to topics we were talking about at work, despite him never using social media at work or searching for it himself. But he was facebook friends with people who were geolocated at his place of work, had the same work/leisure hours as him, and they had been searching for such things. So he was/is convinced that Facebook listened to his work conversations via phone, but I find it less likely. As for governments or other spy types, lol, who knows, just assume the worst.

• Locked thread