Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

drat I thought Gunpei just died of old age or something i didn’t know Miyamoto personally ran him down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

codenameFANGIO posted:

drat I thought Gunpei just died of old age or something i didn’t know Miyamoto personally ran him down

Miyamoto drove the car and then framed Kazuma Kiryu of the Tojo Clan for Gunpei's murder

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Miyamoto drove the car and then framed Kazuma Kiryu of the Tojo Clan for Gunpei's murder

Lmfao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mario Clan Patriarch
Shigeru Miyamoto

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

hahaha

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the virtual boy doesnt hurt my eyes so i can play it for a long time and i like it

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

it was also technically the system with the first megami tensei game outside of japan thanks to Jack Bros.

Whoa

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

the virtual boy doesnt hurt my eyes so i can play it for a long time and i like it

I like getting hit with hot dogs... it dont bother me none

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

What is the virtual boy .. ive heard of it .. but what is it.

I literally have three Virtual Boy systems.

The eye strain thing is a bit of an exaggeration. It's mostly from having your eyes in the pitch black and then going right into sunlight.

The mirrors spinning to create the visual effect is not something you can detect so it doesn't look like poo poo. It doesn't look amazing, but the graphics are razor sharp. The 3D effect is pretty decent. The thing that takes away from it a lot is that you can see the border of the game, so you aren't immersed.

It's Nintendo's only 32 bit console and I like the graphics a lot, even when playing on an Android emulator with no 3D. The sound capabilities of the system are something I've never experienced before or after. Everything is super loud and extremely crisp and clear. It's not CD quality technically but the sound effects and guitar riffs and poo poo are really really good and unique.

I have like 8 games for the system and I like all of them. Teleroboxer is basically Super Punch Out but with a controller that seems like it was made for the game. Plus it's super difficult, but in a good way. The Wario game is the best Wario game ever released, in my opinion.

Sadly I can't recommend buying one because you WILL have to get an experienced Virtual Boy technician to permanently solder the ribbon cable that attaches to the LED board. Just like the original Game Boy systems that had lines in the screen, the Virtual Boy has the same issue and for the same reason: the ribbon cable uses glue as an adhesive and it eventually starts to detach.

If you don't mind the extra expense of having to get the LEDs hardwired, then I'd say you would be surprised and would like the Virtual Boy a lot. If that seems like too much trouble at the very least try out some of the games on an Android or PC emulator. My Nvidia Shield Portable (which is like 5 years old at this point) runs it flawlessly. Like 90% of its library is good and the sound and visuals are great and unique.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 24, 2018

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I literally have three Virtual Boy systems.

The eye strain thing is a bit of an exaggeration. It's mostly from having your eyes in the pitch black and then going right into sunlight.

The mirrors spinning to create the visual effect is not something you can detect so it doesn't look like poo poo. It doesn't look amazing, but the graphics are razor sharp. The 3D effect is pretty decent. The thing that takes away from it a lot is that you can see the border of the game, so you aren't immersed.

It's Nintendo's only 32 bit console and I like the graphics a lot, even when playing on an Android emulator with no 3D. The sound capabilities of the system are something I've never experienced before or after. Everything is super loud and extremely crisp and clear. It's not CD quality technically but the sound effects and guitar riffs and poo poo are really really good and unique.

I have like 8 games for the system and I like all of them. Teleroboxer is basically Super Punch Out but with a controller that seems like it was made for the game. Plus it's super difficult, but in a good way. The Wario game is the best Wario game ever released, in my opinion.

Sadly I can't recommend buying one because you WILL have to get an experienced Virtual Boy technician to permanently solder the ribbon cable that attaches to the LED board. Just like the original Game Boy systems that had lines in the screen, the Virtual Boy has the same issue and for the same reason: the ribbon cable uses glue as an adhesive and it eventually starts to detach.

If you don't mind the extra expense of having to get the LEDs hardwired, then I'd say you would be surprised and would like the Virtual Boy a lot. If that seems like to much trouble at the very least try out some of the games on an Android or PC emulator. My Nvidia Shield Portable (which is like 5 years old at this point) runs it flawlessly. Like 90% of its library is good and the sound and visuals are great and unique.

you are insane

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I'm building a link player cable so I can play the Faceball 2000 VB prototype with two players some day :allears:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

we used to have a virtual boy my mom found for cheap at toys r us after they flopped or whatever. the wario game and panic bomber were cool. thanks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

b_d posted:

we used to have a virtual boy my mom found for cheap at toys r us after they flopped or whatever. the wario game and panic bomber were cool. thanks

My first Virtual Boy I got on launch day in 1995 for $180.

My second Virtual Boy I got for free from my high school girlfriend's cousin who saw mine and said "oh I still have one brand new in the box, you can have it". This was in 1999! And the funniest part, and I'm not making this up, it was in fact brand new in the box, but it was still missing the visor. :lol:

I have no idea where I got the 3rd one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Virtual Boy works on stereoscopy and like very eschews color and other cues that help stereoblind people so whenever I tried it out in Toys R Us I literally thought my brothers were trying to prank me into playing a broken display

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like i was yelling "cut it OUT you guys!" and my brothers were really trying to convince me that no, the future really was like those 80s movies and Nestor from nintendo Power was in the games, but i wouldn't believe them because they kept laughing uncontrollably at my hosed up eye problem.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
your bros owned the poo poo out of you dude

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

It's Nintendo's only 32 bit console and I like the graphics a lot,

Isn't the Game Boy Advance 32-bit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caithness posted:

Isn't the Game Boy Advance 32-bit

Oops

Well it was their only 32 bit console when 32 bit was still considered good

Bicyclops posted:

like i was yelling "cut it OUT you guys!" and my brothers were really trying to convince me that no, the future really was like those 80s movies and Nestor from nintendo Power was in the games, but i wouldn't believe them because they kept laughing uncontrollably at my hosed up eye problem.

Is this how you got your username

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Is this how you got your username

:stonk:

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Nintendo shows Animal Crossing on Switch at this year's E3. It's probably my favorite Nintendo "franchise" along with the WarioWare games. I actually play the mobile one though so maybe I'm just an outlier. (Doubt it)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Shampy posted:

I hope Nintendo shows Animal Crossing on Switch at this year's E3. It's probably my favorite Nintendo "franchise" along with the WarioWare games. I actually play the mobile one though so maybe I'm just an outlier. (Doubt it)

go away

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Shampeh

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my favorite Nintendo franchise is the one that's more popular than everything except Mario and Pokemon... maybe im just weird..

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Tales of Woe posted:

my favorite Nintendo franchise is the one that's more popular than everything except Mario and Pokemon... maybe im just weird..

It's normal to like Zelda.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
i want a virtual boy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rediscover posted:

It's normal to like Zelda.

Even after Zelda i feel like Fire Emblem probably has more normie/non Nintendo head appeal than Animal Crossing does

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

Even after Zelda i feel like Fire Emblem probably has more normie/non Nintendo head appeal than Animal Crossing does

You've lost sight of reality

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

Wtf no

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pablo Nergigante posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Animal Crossing is obscenely successful across a lot of demographics, Fire Emblem is a relatively popular core IP and has allowed Nintendo to expand into gacha horseshit but it doesn't have nearly the same reach

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Animal Crossing is obscenely successful across a lot of demographics, Fire Emblem is a relatively popular core IP and has allowed Nintendo to expand into gacha horseshit but it doesn't have nearly the same reach

using important words to say obvious poo poo and act like an expert ftw

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

i want a virtual boy.

It's really good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope FE Switch is cool but I don't trust them anymore

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

I hope FE Switch is cool but I don't trust them anymore

they made conquest so they have it in them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

they made conquest so they have it in them

Yeah I loved conquest I just really really hope this new one isn't another game with time traveling kids

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Conquest owned but the time travelling kids and dumb base and 20 different seals are stupid bloat that need to go. Valentia was nearly good but 90% of the maps being large featureless squares ruined it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah I loved conquest I just really really hope this new one isn't another game with time traveling kids

it will be, thats just how it is. the only way to stop that is to release a bunch of sarin gas into the directors local izakaya

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Valentina sucked rear end but the original did too. I'm just surprised they made the remake so faithful and just added their brand of rosy cheeked anime portraits and people en masse were like this game is tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

it will be, thats just how it is. the only way to stop that is to release a bunch of sarin gas into the directors local izakaya

Lol