Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

lol translucent n64 controller vibes are fitting

those were pretty murky because of how thick the plastic was

more like a blueberry imac really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

oh, and this too:

:yossame:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
android: now with malware pre-installed

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Trump is going to save zte ensuring that we can continue to use malware infested phones

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Trump is going to save zte ensuring that we can continue to use malware infested phones

what if its the zte malware thats sending those tweets and then trump has to double down because he must've forgotten tweeting it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

what if its the zte malware thats sending those tweets and then trump has to double down because he must've forgotten tweeting it

trump is posting from an insecure phone. every intelligence agency in the world has already tapped his data connection and acquired his auth token for Twitter. when one of them decides to tweet something from his account you can bet it will be for maximum impact.

they’re also recording his calls and will release the tapes when it suites them, or just use them for blackmail.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

this is cool

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

President Beep posted:

oh, and this too:

lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Android Creator Puts Essential Up for Sale, Cancels Next Phone

rip

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blue Train posted:

rip
laffo

never build your business on a company whose entire org switches focus every 18 months

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ngl it irks me when they credit a single person as "creator" of a thing when he, at best, led the development team.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

ngl it irks me when they credit a single person as "creator" of a thing when he, at best, led the development team.

he literally founded both danger and android as companies so that's not too much of an overreach imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

he literally founded both danger and android as companies so that's not too much of an overreach imo

co-founded

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

rip

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/24/17391734/essential-cancels-phone-development-considers-sale-report posted:

Essential founder Andy Rubin, also the co-founder of Android, game more insight into the ongoing process in an email to employees obtained by The Information. “No one (including me at this moment) knows what the best thing for the company will be,” the email reads. The company is allegedly “working with bankers to raise money,” according to Rubin.

$1 billon take right there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
essentially dead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

essentially dead

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

essentially dead

ehehhe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
kirillzubovsky 11 hours ago [-]

I wonder if Essential is just not a very popular smartphone, or if Samsung/Apple colluded to pressure suppliers in making it 100x hard for E to get anything done. Either is equally probable.

:thunk:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Well they presented two possibilities, so it's basically 50/50

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
how do i root my galaxy s8. it's unlocked. someone help me root it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

ew

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
plz dont ask for help in self-harming behaviour :ohdear:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

plz install this: http://notvirus.ru/rooter

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

here: https://forum.xda-developers.com

otherwise ask gray yospos or iyg (dyp?)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Management posted:

trump is posting from an insecure phone. every intelligence agency in the world has already tapped his data connection and acquired his auth token for Twitter.

such an insecure phone that it doesn’t even do tls?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Soricidus posted:

such an insecure phone that it doesn’t even do tls?

does tls protect against agencies that run their own cell towers, that have access to national and compromised corporate root of trust keys, and that are willing to throw millions of dollars in hardware for months against cracking this specific link?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Management posted:

does tls protect against agencies that run their own cell towers, that have access to national and compromised corporate root of trust keys, and that are willing to throw millions of dollars in hardware for months against cracking this specific link?

probably. the whole point of tls is that even having full control over the communications channel does not give you the ability to see or modify the content. unless they have some 0-day tls vulnerability up their sleeves, no amount of hardware will help.

whether or not having access to compromised ca keys would change anything will depend on what app Trump is using to post to twitter. Twitter’s guidance for tls clients recommends only accepting certs signed by one specific ca, precisely to make this attack vector harder to pull off - you can’t just use any old ca root even if the os trusts it

if they’ve actually managed to hack the phone itself then it’s a different story of course! that’s the weak spot in this whole story.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

symmetric key encryption is hella strong, yo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wth

quote:

If you type "the1975..com" (with two periods) into the Google app, it delivers a summary of recent conversations instead of performing a search or attempting to pull up the eponymous rock band's website.

Other Reddit users quickly pointed out that "Vizel viagens", "Izela viagens" and "Zela viagens" produced the same effect

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

symmetric key encryption is hella strong, yo

android <=<6.0 still support DH which often allows breakable 1024-bit keys which is in the realm of sniffing and stealing. Assuming twitter is also permitting DH on their end at some point, you could sit in the middle executing a downgrade attack and then break the captured traffic

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

An iphone running software that doesn't completely suck poo poo for once is p good imo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

weak take, 0/5

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

Use Magisk

Supersu is dead and as far as I can tell Magisk is the only way to root any more

It's good because you can do it systemlessly and hide it from other apps. When you install the ad blocker make sure to choose systemless ad blocking in Magisk

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

alternatively: don’t

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Use Magisk

Supersu is dead and as far as I can tell Magisk is the only way to root any more

It's good because you can do it systemlessly and hide it from other apps. When you install the ad blocker make sure to choose systemless ad blocking in Magisk

username avatar post m-m-m-m-multicombo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

do android phones still do that that thing where the camera becomes poo poo if you root them?

because that was funny.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shifty Pony posted:

do android phones still do that that thing where the camera becomes poo poo if you root them?

because that was funny.

lol. this is a thing?

i neeeeed my tribal goku rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yeah something about google or someone licensing a patented way to control the read of the image sensor to dramatically cut noise. I can't remember if it is rooting or a custom rom which triggers the camera module to wipe the code which actually caused it to work.

at least the camera stuff is reversible afaik I know. Samsung phones have electronic fuses which irreversibly disable all Knox-related secure processing functions upon detecting rooting.