Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Playing Horizon so clos after Monster Hunter World and God of War might have been a mistake....

I'm level 24 with blue medium armor but level 18 enemies still kill me in two-thee hits, ranged or melee. That, and the fact that the dodge is on circle and doesn't seem to have many or any invincibility frames really through me off. Any tips for raising defense/health?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Crows Turn Off posted:

**MOVIE NAME IS HERE**
**DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW**

Arrival

Sorry, but she doesn't travel thru time in that movie. This it not a time travel movie.

Lol after all that and ive already seen the film. It's okay, not great. Pretty much its just a rehashed Contact which is a much better film imo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I knew I was excited about the Dark Souls remaster, but now I'm playing it and I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying "that vibe" again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

I knew I was excited about the Dark Souls remaster, but now I'm playing it and I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying "that vibe" again.
I am enjoying it but I can’t go back to how it was before. I understand the game too well now. Even having not played for probably six years I still got all the way to Sen’s fortress without resting at a bonfire or dying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh I’m certainly not stating it’s as challenging or mystifying as it was. I just enjoy being back in that world. I’m just here for the scenery, or whatever...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Renoistic posted:

Playing Horizon so clos after Monster Hunter World and God of War might have been a mistake....

I'm level 24 with blue medium armor but level 18 enemies still kill me in two-thee hits, ranged or melee. That, and the fact that the dodge is on circle and doesn't seem to have many or any invincibility frames really through me off. Any tips for raising defense/health?

When robots wind up before hitting you, take it more seriously and roll out of the way when they lunge instead of continuing to attack them.

Roll has invincibility, but the window is short.

Whenever possible early on, be a pussy and hide on a tall cliff or in some far away bushes and take potshots.

Use elemental armor and resistance potions liberally when fighting robots with elemental attacks. Drink that poo poo like it’s fireball and you just turned 21

When you get good at figuring out you can only hit a robot once (or occasionally twice) before they melee you back and you have to dodge, you get a good dance rhythm and eventually you’ll be able to waltz between three enemies at a time

If you hit a robot and position yourself behind them it buys you another second where they have to turn around to attack you. With practice you can do the drunken boxing thing with them where they keep swinging at you and missing because you’re too close to them but not in the right direction for them to hit

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
THE MOVIE IS "THE ARRIVAL" AND IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TIME TRAVEL, IT'S JUST AN INTERESTING TWIST

You might also enjoy "Story of your life and others" the original short tales collection it was based on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samuringa posted:

THE MOVIE IS "THE ARRIVAL" AND IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TIME TRAVEL, IT'S JUST AN INTERESTING TWIST

You might also enjoy "Story of your life and others" the original short tales collection it was based on.

Book is better, but Villanueve still kicks rear end for trying.

Also Amy Adams Are Amazing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aloy's roll in Horizon is insanely good. Here's a video of me taking down a big scary demonic Thunderjaw that I think showcases what you can do with it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U5B_CVPJmU

Basically never not be rolling.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hey since im playing a version of ds where gravelords arent broken for the 1st time what do they do?
Spawn a tough enemy or something?

Also detroit is fun so far i cleaned an optional toilet!
Gg would support creepo french labor criminal again

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
All this talk of Detroit Become Ham-Handed Analogy For Racism reminded me that I got Ellen Page Goes To Hell as a PS+ freebie, so I booted it up

https://twitter.com/instant_grat/status/999791083998543874

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Great to hear! My copy arrives Tuesday :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Great to hear! My copy arrives Tuesday :allears:

Excitement!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soooo excited. I probably should have gone digital but I love having all my Souls games physical (the PS3 copy I have also isn’t mine 👀)
It was also a fair bit cheaper on Amazon

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I found the fancy special edition of Demon's Souls for basically nothing at GameStop a year or two ago. It comes with a strategy guide where 90% of the text is lifted (with permission) from the Demon's Souls WikiDot.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I ordered a Japanese copy and probably won't see it for another two weeks. I hope it at least has English language option. I didn't think that through.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I imported the Prepare to Die edition for PS3 from the UK and got like 3 areas in before I let a friend borrow my PS3 to play TLoU. He's had that poo poo for a year and still hasn't played TLoU; meanwhile DS1 is the only bloodsouls game I've never played through.

So if anyone wants to jam my psn = snackytongs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
detroit is actually rly good

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Samurai Sanders posted:

1’s gameplay is really dated, I’ve played every part of 2 twice through and 3 is 3 so I don’t really want that.

Where’s the PS4 port of Demon’s Souls though? Why does that game get the shaft?

I just replayed 1 and it’s really not that bad. With some inventory management QoL updates its perfectly fine.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

All this talk of Detroit Become Ham-Handed Analogy For Racism reminded me that I got Ellen Page Goes To Hell as a PS+ freebie, so I booted it up

https://twitter.com/instant_grat/status/999791083998543874

My wife is loving it so far because she can't aim and shoot at the same time so the simple controls and prompts are perfect. She kicks rear end at Tropico 5 but anything with more complicated controls is pretty frustrating to watch. She loved the Detroit demo too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe subtlety is overrated.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Renoistic posted:

If you're level 24 I imagine you have enough inventory to sell to afford some purple armour. If there are certain enemies that give you trouble you can buy armour that will help immensely with reducing damage (and drink the appropriate potion as was mentioned). There's armour that protects against melee attacks and that includes machines, not just humans swinging at you.

For selling inventory remember that crafting resources take up multiple stacks. You could be sitting on five stacks of Blaze and you probably don't need more than two or three at a time so sell the rest. Sell anything that says it's only for selling. Sell machine hearts if you have more than one or two of each.

To improve the armour you need good modifications and that's just going to be luck of the draw unfortunately. But you can save up points to get the Tinker skill which will mean you can swap mods in and out of armour whenever you want, like just before an encounter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

From reviews it sounds like they thought they were being subtle and delicate with touchy subject matter but completely loving themselves over at it, which would be consistent with the other QD games I have played. If they abandoned those ideas and went all-in on campy weirdness (like it seems Battlefield V is doing) it would be a different and better game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 25, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Hey since im playing a version of ds where gravelords arent broken for the 1st time what do they do?
Spawn a tough enemy or something?

The Gravelord Covenant allows a player to "infect" nearby worlds with extra hard phantoms - but this only affects players in NG+ and up.

Any player can see the Gravelord sign and invade the world of the Gravelord Servant - if they defeat them, all infected players get a message and the phantoms are gone.

If the phantoms defeat an infected player the Covenant member gets a covenant item.

Dark Souls Remastered thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855732 it comes up a few times and I can't wait to try out the Remaster tomorrow night!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

At this point p much all of the most popular films of all time are children's or comic book movies, which are down there with Cage.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really can't wait to get home and play some more Yak0za before I gotta go do weekend stuff

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This evening I am completely alone looking after their pupper for my parents, so I am taking my PS4 and Nier and going to keep on trucking :D

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

VideoGames posted:

This evening I am completely alone looking after their pupper for my parents, so I am taking my PS4 and Nier and going to keep on trucking :D

you're gonna have to provide photographic evidence of that dog

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone else playing Detroit laugh at Kara's disguise haircut being the default David Cage Bobcut?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

VideoGames posted:

I know you love videogames

but don't ignore that dog!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't Ignore That Dog could totally be an 8-bit game à la Tapper where you have to frantically manage chores house-sitting and while making sure you work in pets and rubs for their dog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don’t poo poo your Pants

Don’t Ignore that Dog

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I got to the teenage party scene in Beyond and turned it off. Maybe the worst writing in a video game scene I have ever seen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The Gravelord Covenant allows a player to "infect" nearby worlds with extra hard phantoms - but this only affects players in NG+ and up.

Any player can see the Gravelord sign and invade the world of the Gravelord Servant - if they defeat them, all infected players get a message and the phantoms are gone.

If the phantoms defeat an infected player the Covenant member gets a covenant item.

Dark Souls Remastered thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855732 it comes up a few times and I can't wait to try out the Remaster tomorrow night!

Why was i seeing gravelord warning while i was fighting taurus demon in ng? Never activated a sign or anything.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/999823076463403009?s=19

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The dog is a cutie who likes to sleep on my knee when Mum and Dad are away :D
He is very well behaved too so I will be able to care for him and make more headway.

Here he is:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rad Valtar posted:

I got to the teenage party scene in Beyond and turned it off. Maybe the worst writing in a video game scene I have ever seen.

Yeah. I beat the game and theres some good poo poo after there like the native american stuff but her teen years and the homeless parts are painfully bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

The dog is a cutie who likes to sleep on my knee when Mum and Dad are away :D
He is very well behaved too so I will be able to care for him and make more headway.

Here he is:

Daw, that's a fine pooch.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else playing Detroit laugh at Kara's disguise haircut being the default David Cage Bobcut?

I noticed this on the Giant Bomb quick look at chuckled. I figure this will be free on PS Plus in 2-3 years so I might check it out then, but it looks like just a slightly interactive version of that show Humans so eh. And I haven't even bothered adding Beyond: Two Souls to my library even though it's free right now. I won't deny that this style of game has its merits, but Until Dawn has already done it better than Quantic Dream after several attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I noticed this on the Giant Bomb quick look at chuckled. I figure this will be free on PS Plus in 2-3 years so I might check it out then, but it looks like just a slightly interactive version of that show Humans so eh. And I haven't even bothered adding Beyond: Two Souls to my library even though it's free right now. I won't deny that this style of game has its merits, but Until Dawn has already done it better than Quantic Dream after several attempts.

Detroit so far is much much better than beyond