Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Dick Van Dyke is British? My world is a lie.

Oy govnnah oi think u've missed tha joke!

[Edit: Dick Van Dyke has perhaps the worst fake Cockney accent ever in Mary Poppins. He's American.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

Maybe someone here can help me out. A couple of years ago, before Daniel Craig was cast as Bond but after Beosnan left the role, EA was still trying to be in the business of Bond games. They released stuff like From Russia With Love and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent around that time. Right before Craig was given the role, they announced that they were going to make a new, original Bond game, and had even gone so far as to “cast” Bond with an actual actor. He wasn’t a known-name, but looked dead on the illustrations used in the Fleming books. And it wasn’t the model they used for Agent Under Fire; this was like an actual dude with a headshot and everything.

Does anybody remember this?

Andrew Bicknell, a British character actor with a pretty grizzled visage, did the facial capture.

However he was voiced by Adam Blackwood, who had provided the voice of Bond since The World is Not Enough.

And actually, I believe Bicknell was going to have his face used again in Everything or Nothing, then Brosnan re-upped to do Die Another Day, the contract of which covered a video game.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lelandjs posted:

Oy govnnah oi think u've missed tha joke!

[Edit: Dick Van Dyke has perhaps the worst fake Cockney accent ever in Mary Poppins. He's American.]

cheadle's in ocean's 11 is worse imo

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

cheadle's in ocean's 11 is worse imo

Honestly I think that’s part of the joke. All of the Oceans characters are eccentric/crazy, Basher thinks he’s British when he’s actually not. Heck it could even be a reference to the original film, wasn’t there an Asian character who was very much NOT played by an actual Asian?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should cast Ricky Gervais as the new bond.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vagabundo posted:

She has reservations about Idris Elba as Bond as a result, because we won't get enough of him as Bond. He's not getting any younger, after all.

Idris Elba has said he won't do it; he'd love to play the part, but he fears--rightfully so--that he would be judged more as "the first black Bond" rather than just "Bond."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

They should cast Ricky Gervais as the new bond.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just can't help but feel like Elba as Bond would be too similar to Craig. If I was going to fantasy-cast the first black British actor to play Bond, I would have said David Oyelowo, but I feel like he might be too old now.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

elba oyelowo and ejiofor are all too old now, sadly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny Boyle is directing the last Craig Bond.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

elba oyelowo and ejiofor are all too old now, sadly

Actually, if they were going to do it after Craig left, Ukweli Roach would be around the right age for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well this is interesting .

Universal is distributing Bond 25 internationally.

MGM/Annapurna get US distribution.

Violator
May 15, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Danny Boyle is directing the last Craig Bond.

You’re not joking. Filming starts in December.

Release November 2019. Doesn’t seem like a lot of time for production, but I always expect two years for a big budget film.

Violator fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 25, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Violator posted:

You’re not joking. Filming starts in December.

Release November 2019. Doesn’t seem like a lot of time for production, but I always expect two years for a big budget film.

Their goal is to find that sweet spot where they rush production just enough they don't re-write the script into poo poo and just slow enough they actually have a script.

Or we'll end up with a James Bond film where he has to fight a group of genetically altered super-humans because why not give Craig his own Moonraker or Die Another Day?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This will also be (as far as I'm aware) the first Bond movie in 20 years not to have been written or had writing work done on it by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Violator posted:

That's been kind of a thing for the Craig Bonds. Skyfall began shooting in November 2011 for an October 2012 release; Spectre began production in December 2014 for an October 2015 release.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This will also be (as far as I'm aware) the first Bond movie in 20 years not to have been written or had writing work done on it by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade.

Give it time, I'm sure Barbara Broccoli will call them in to do on-set rewrites or some poo poo.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well this is interesting .

Universal is distributing Bond 25 internationally.

MGM/Annapurna get US distribution.

Yeah, the Annapurna deal for domestic distribution was announced a few months ago but there was a pretty fierce bidding war for the international rights, as Sony's distribution deal expired after Spectre. Sony, Universal, WB, Fox and Amazon were reportedly all in the running, with Amazon dropping out a while back.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe it is okay to give Craig his whacky outing. Brosnan’s ended on whacky when starting from serious. I think Moore did too. I’m not sure where modern spy movies are but the gritty Bourne style is being replaced by Raid/Wick action and MI has Cruise doing hairball stunts so maybe some crazy schickanery isn’t so bad after Spectre may have wrapped up Bonds initial storyline.

Give it Time Travel, space, multiverse, elaborate sets, James Bond goes to deep space at request of the Queen to find an elixir of eternal youth and life so she can rule forever to gently caress with Charles...that aliens have but it’s a tesseract that has Bond go backwards and forwards in time to alternate Bond universes so we see him in the background of Dr. No killing shapeshifting Nazi aliens and preventing Sean Connery from dying. Bond finally bangs his way through alien women.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just can't help but feel like Elba as Bond would be too similar to Craig. If I was going to fantasy-cast the first black British actor to play Bond, I would have said David Oyelowo, but I feel like he might be too old now.

Colin Salmon was up but he ended up just being a recurring character instead of moving up to be Bond when Brosnan was done. Holy poo poo that would have ruled.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

Give it Time Travel, space, multiverse, elaborate sets, James Bond goes to deep space at request of the Queen to find an elixir of eternal youth and life so she can rule forever to gently caress with Charles...that aliens have but it’s a tesseract that has Bond go backwards and forwards in time to alternate Bond universes so we see him in the background of Dr. No killing shapeshifting Nazi aliens and preventing Sean Connery from dying. Bond finally bangs his way through alien women.

Universal as they put up way more money to win the bidding war: "WELCOME TO THE DARK BOND UNIVERSE!!!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, thank gently caress for that.

Just so long as whoever's writing it instead doesn't fall down the same turd-filled well of "I'm a [FRANCHISE] fan who gets to write a [FRANCHISE] movie, yay!" (see: Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) and make the whole thing into an ourouboros of references to stuff we've already seen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Maybe it is okay to give Craig his whacky outing. Brosnan’s ended on whacky when starting from serious. I think Moore did too. I’m not sure where modern spy movies are but the gritty Bourne style is being replaced by Raid/Wick action and MI has Cruise doing hairball stunts so maybe some crazy schickanery isn’t so bad after Spectre may have wrapped up Bonds initial storyline.

Perhaps that can be the thing that sets Bond apart - it's the action franchise that seems to have stumbled into the cachet to attract these Oscar-winning directors and cinematographers like Mendes and Boyle and Deakins. :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still can’t believe that one of the best Bond action setpeices is actually in a Mission Impossible film instead.

I really need to rewatch Rogue Nation.

Payndz posted:

Just so long as whoever's writing it instead doesn't fall down the same turd-filled well of "I'm a [FRANCHISE] fan who gets to write a [FRANCHISE] movie, yay!" (see: Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) and make the whole thing into an ourouboros of references to stuff we've already seen.

I mean, that was basically what Skyfall and Spectre were.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 27, 2018

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can't deny the prize it may never fulfill you
Stewie shall kill you
Are you willing to die?
The baby from Family Guy will set you aflame
You know my name

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just came in here after watching Dr No for the first time. drat these movies have aged incredibly well. Not slow like some of the 60s movies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you liked that you'll really like From Russia with Love.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ulio posted:

Just came in here after watching Dr No for the first time. drat these movies have aged incredibly well. Not slow like some of the 60s movies.

Yeah, you just really, really, really have to put blinders on the rather blatant misogyny and how casually rapey Bond is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried watching some bond movies with my weird roommate but he made it so weird I never did it again. In OHMSS when Bond slaps Tracy, he goes "Ooh, yeah you were allowed to that back then! I wish we still could."

Hmm. Yeah ok. No Bond for you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mantis42 posted:

If you liked that you'll really like From Russia with Love.

This. I love Dr. No, it’s fantastic. But From Russia With Love is one of the greatest spy flicks of all time.

After that, things start take a turn for the worse.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

This. I love Dr. No, it’s fantastic. But From Russia With Love is one of the greatest spy flicks of all time.

After that, things start take a turn for the worse.

Eh, Goldfinger is really good too, with a giant note as to the time and place where it came out (Look at Catch Me if You Can before watching Goldfinger to get the idea of what it did for the era).

Then you have a lonnnnnnggggg time until you find another good movie (the editing in Lazenby's movie, along with the goofy midsection means I'll never endorse it).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Eh, Goldfinger is really good too, with a giant note as to the time and place where it came out (Look at Catch Me if You Can before watching Goldfinger to get the idea of what it did for the era).

Then you have a lonnnnnnggggg time until you find another good movie (the editing in Lazenby's movie, along with the goofy midsection means I'll never endorse it).

I just can’t love Goldfinger, as much as I know I should. Between the misogyny of “men talk”, to the fact that Bond barely does anything the entire movie other than be a prisoner and observe what’s happening, to the blatant rape of Pussy Galore...yeah, it’s not a good movie.

The car sure was cool, though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All the Connery films are extremely entertaining. Even Diamonds.

...Especially Diamonds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Diamonds should be hurled into the mariana trench

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Darko posted:

I think the best Moore is the Spy Who Loved Me. I recently did a watch of the entire series, and I think it holds up pretty drat well.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think the best Moore is the Spy Who Loved Me. I recently did a watch of the entire series, and I think it holds up pretty drat well.
For Your Eyes Only is the best Moore spy film. The Spy Who Loved Me is indeed the best Moore spy film, if that makes sense.

The Moore films are pretty much their own unique continuum compared to the rest of the series, really, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lmao all of this talk about the best entry and nobody mentions JAMES BOND: LICENSE TO THRILL, COMING SOON TO A PARAMOUNT THEME PARK NEAR YOUUUU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCA4u1dCCU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Spy Who Loved Me is my favourite Moore movie and close to being my favourite Bond movie overall. The only thing that holds it back is that Stromberg isn't a fantastic villain; if it had been Blofeld (I haven't a clue who could've played him this time; any one of Pleasence, Savalas or Gray could've come back or it could've been someone different - I like the idea of William Conrad playing him) then that would've been it. It would've been a "serious" Austin Powers movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I might've liked TSWLM more if I hadn't seen Moonraker first. Its the exact same movie but completely nuts. That and Golden Gun are my favorite Moores.

Yes, I'm the one guy who loves all the "bad" Bonds. They're fun!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like most except for Octopussy and A View to a Kill. They’re so loving boooring and silly. I can get down with Moonraker, but those movies are just way too far.

ESP Octopussy. I’ve yet to make it through. I always check out after Bond jumps out of the body bag going BOOOGA BOOGA!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fart City posted:

lmao all of this talk about the best entry and nobody mentions JAMES BOND: LICENSE TO THRILL, COMING SOON TO A PARAMOUNT THEME PARK NEAR YOUUUU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCA4u1dCCU

Is License to Thrill the one where Bond defeats a terrorist who hijacked an Earthquake machine because spoilers that films great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a play on Licence to Kill, which does not contain an earthquake machine. The earlier 80s film A View to a Kill, however, is about Christopher Walken trying to bomb the San Andreas fault line in order to flood Silicon Valley.

• Locked thread