Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
:prepop: at that 1/100 jagd doga. the HG was the first gundam I built (and ruined via painting), so I'm stoked to see a larger one with more surface detail. I can't find any info on it, is it p-bandai? do they even do p-bandai re 1/100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

tenderjerk posted:

:prepop: at that 1/100 jagd doga. the HG was the first gundam I built (and ruined via painting), so I'm stoked to see a larger one with more surface detail. I can't find any info on it, is it p-bandai? do they even do p-bandai re 1/100?

RE/100 Jagd Doga [Gyunei Guss] will be released in September 2018 for 4,500 Yen.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

tenderjerk posted:

do they even do p-bandai re 1/100?

Oh my yes, most RE/100s have a P-Bandai alternate version. BaWoo had 2 even!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My P-Bandai shipment arrived today!

Everything looks pretty dandy inside the boxes, lots of new parts and very few stickers, apart from the GN-X IV but I already had one of those so I knew what to expect. The HG Advanced GN-X was much the same too, though strangely the new weapon, the proto-GN Lance, was on par with RG weapons in terms of parts numbers and color separation.

Speaking of GN-Xs though, all I need now is a PG Exia :v:

Can you guess what my favorite episode of Battlogue is?
It's Bear Bear Village :3:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't know anything about the source material and it's P-Bandai but:

A) The eyepiece is fuckin dope
B) It is a Jegan
C) It is purple

Hot.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

RillAkBea posted:

Everything looks pretty dandy inside the boxes, lots of new parts and very few stickers, apart from the GN-X IV but I already had one of those so I knew what to expect. The HG Advanced GN-X was much the same too, though strangely the new weapon, the proto-GN Lance, was on par with RG weapons in terms of parts numbers and color separation.

Speaking of GN-Xs though, all I need now is a PG Exia :v:

Can you guess what my favorite episode of Battlogue is?
It's Bear Bear Village :3:

Where did you order that stuff from. I want that Zaku Minelayer so bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Potential BFF posted:

I don't know anything about the source material and it's P-Bandai but:

A) The eyepiece is fuckin dope
B) It is a Jegan
C) It is purple

Hot.

Probably the only good thing to come out of Twilight Axis.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

I've got the MG Heavy Gundam and was thinking about selling it to fund the HG, but who am I kidding, I love big 80s sunglasses gun-arm boys.

Also please do tell about the Gouf Flight Type, I sold the older non-HGUC version and got my buddy in Japan to order me the P-Bandai. It's totally a Gouf Revive with Flight Type mold extras, right?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

Where did you order that stuff from. I want that Zaku Minelayer so bad.

I live in Japan so I just get it direct.

The Minelayer does look pretty drat good. I haven't even started to build it yet but from a cursory read through the instructions there's been an awful lot of love put into that backpack, perhaps even more than the RG High Mobility Zakus backpack.

MJP posted:

Also please do tell about the Gouf Flight Type, I sold the older non-HGUC version and got my buddy in Japan to order me the P-Bandai. It's totally a Gouf Revive with Flight Type mold extras, right?
It uses the arms, thigh armor and weapon from the HGUC Gouf Custom (because it has the locking shoulder joint needed to keep that big beautiful gun aloft) but everything else is all new parts. Looks pretty good, lots of color separation with proper colored parts for all the leg vents. The only stickers it has are the gun sight, some stripes for the backpack fins and some beige bits that I think go under the thruster vents on the back of the calf.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Spotted in a friend's Discord server:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Smashing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Burn it, immediately. :gonk:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Burn it, immediately. :gonk:

Gunpla is freedom.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chiasaur11 posted:

Gunpla is freedom.

"Too much of a good thing" is a phrase that exists for a reason.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I built the Gouf Flight Type today and I have come to the conclusion that what gets a general release and what goes to PB is largely decided by dice rolls.

Here's what was left:

It borrows a few parts from the Gouf Custom but it's mostly new pieces, more than a lot of general release kits almost.

Straight snap build, no stickers used except the eye.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
what's on in the background.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

RillAkBea posted:

I built the Gouf Flight Type today and I have come to the conclusion that what gets a general release and what goes to PB is largely decided by dice rolls.

Here's what was left:

It borrows a few parts from the Gouf Custom but it's mostly new pieces, more than a lot of general release kits almost.

Straight snap build, no stickers used except the eye.

I built the GNX IV BPS tonight, and that's kind of the same, there's a whole frame it barely uses. A couple of the leg pieces are reproduced on another frame in a different colour.

But it is a really good kit, I've now done the GNX III A-Laws version, GNX OG and now this, and I think they got better each time (the A-LAWS one came later than the original but was spoiled by big stickers, and it's hard to pose it with the lance)

I think I may go back on using parts from it for a kit bash, possibly I'll grab bits from an Ogre.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The 70s called they want their flares back.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The 70s had parachute pants, those are jet powered pants

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Jnco Twin Canons

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I got the Momokapool and Red Beret grimoire, was not disappointed. I wonder if the Beam Master GMIII is alright though it looks like regular HGUC GMIII with new kneecaps.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I got the Momokapool and Red Beret grimoire, was not disappointed. I wonder if the Beam Master GMIII is alright though it looks like regular HGUC GMIII with new kneecaps.

That's pretty much what it is. Also a few new weapons and a new head.

It's not terrible, but it's not that interesting either.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Oh well. It's not that I have too many GMs anyway, I could always use another GMIII, or at least hold on until the inevitable late season "upgrade". That's it for divers at the moment for me I guess.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/05/p-bandai-char-aznables-zaku-head-tape.html?m=1

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I did not realize that there was a physical location for USA Gundam Store, but I've learned that it's 4 hours away from where I live, so me and some friends are taking a road trip in a couple weeks to go there, so that's pretty cool.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

I wonder how many people are big Gundam fans and also have a really big need for scotch tape.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I wonder how many people are big Gundam fans and also have a really big need for scotch tape.

Doesn’t it have a few modelling applications? Like, for applying dry-rubs and that sort of thing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yawgmoft posted:

If it wasn't 1) P Bandai 2) like 80 loving dollars I would get one for my desk at work

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If it wasn't 1) P Bandai 2) like 80 loving dollars I would get one for my desk at work

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If this is p-bandai fine but loving lol at this thing being 84,000 yen.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

If this is p-bandai fine but loving lol at this thing being 84,000 yen.

It's 8,400, not 84,000...

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

It's 8,400, not 84,000...

oops, typo on my part. Still it being 80 dollars is really dumb.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
It dispenses tape 3x faster than a normal dispenser. Think of the time you could save.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sazabi posted:

It dispenses tape 3x faster than a normal dispenser. Think of the time you could save.

:perfect:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sazabi posted:

Really earns its keep around the holidays.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

what's on in the background.

I've been rewatching Turn A while making models.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Sazabi posted:

If you ever feel like dispensing tape becomes a Char, then it really is the perfect gift.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm building the Figurerise 6 Kamen Rider Kabuto.

So far it's got an unfortunate amount of stickers

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Am I crazy to think that getting a 3d printer to make custom parts is feasible?

I know it's not gonna have the resolution to have nice smooth surfaces, but I don't mind sanding things down to finish them for painting as it's part and parcel of building Gunpla.

(I'd probably have more complex things made in pieces to assemble to ease any finishing that would be needed)

It wouldn't be 100% for Gunpla related stuff and I'd like to tinker with other things as well.

Namely the Monoprice mini v2 in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Puddin posted:

Namely the Monoprice mini v2 in question.

You'll probably get better answers in the 3D Printer thread if you can nail down requirements, but since it's Gundam model related I can speak a bit on it. I own an older model MP Maker Select that wasn't specifically bought for custom model parts but has been used for doing some scale testing stuff on occasion. Moderately low detailed 1/100 pieces it's actually kinda okayish, but I suspect 1/144 would be taxing for any FDM printer. Don't remember where I heard it, but the saying that the precision of a 3D printer stops at the point where a C&C machine begins is 100% true.

As far as using a printer for modeling, there are two big issues you'll run into, with the first being accuracy and strength of things like sockets and push plugs. To an extent accuracy can be dialed in on your printer (and by upgrading it :homebrew:) or you can design greater tolerances into your parts and then spend time post processing it, but strength is an issue that's a bit harder to crack. Because FDM builds layer-by-layer there's a great deal of weakness on the Z-axis of the print between layers compared to something that's been injection molded. If your socket or plug is along this axis as it's printed there's a chance that when you try and fit the parts together (and again, if they're not designed with good tolerances,) the layers of the pins/sockets will begin to delaminate. And if you forget something, and try to separate the printed parts? Yeah that pin is probably going to snap.

An issue that you'll hear less about (surprisingly) is material types. Most model kits are made with proprietary blends of ABS or Polystyrene (PS) with a soft Polyethylene (PE) for poly caps, while the current vogue in 3D FDM printing is either Polylactic Acid (PLA) and Polyethylene-Glycol (PETG). PETG I can't speak much of since I haven't gone down that road, but PLA is a fantastic printing material and a terrible modeling plastic: it's hard as a rock, a bitch to sand, and worst of all half of the things in a modeler's usual kit won't work on it because the stuff that's required to make a chemical bond between parts is caustic as hell. Again, there is always a work around. If you design your parts with the tolerances for heavier primer and accept a weaker joint without chemical bond or go full on crazy and try to do friction welding with a Dremel on something this small you can make it work.

The good news is that FDM can do ABS and PS too. ABS was once the preferred filament type for printers, and PS (in the form of HIPS Filament) was used as a support medium for multi-material printers. They've fallen out of fashion of late mainly because PLA is so dang good at what it sets out to do, but at least partly because ABS/HIPS are kind of a pain in the rear end to print. Both require higher extrude temperatures (210-250c vs 180-220c), a heated bed (40-90c vs 0-60)c, and to get results comparable to PLA in terms of surface finish and quality of overhangs/strength/detail you really need a heated/insulated enclosure and to have spent even more time screwing around and dialing in the settings of your machine. Personally, I've done HIPS without an enclosure and it was lackluster at best. I ended up tossing out about a quarter of a spool simply because PLA was much better for everything not related to modeling, and using it for modeling has been kinda secondary for me. Building an enclosure, upgrading my print head, and swapping out the electronics for autoleveling so I can try it again is on my to-do but the thread of backlogs should know how that goes. :v:

You're not totally crazy, but always temper your expectations since no FDM machine is going to come close to actual kit plastic quality off the build plate. If modeling is your secondary thing and you're willing to throw in the towel on it, a cheap model like a Mini V2 would probably be fine to screw around with and learn. If you want better quality that is more usable in making stuff for your models, look into spending a bit more for a Prusa or Lulzbot with the bells and whistles. If you're really serious about using it for modeling and have a decent amount cash, look into a nice SLA/DLP machine and build like the resin model guys do.