Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Covok posted:

Uh, she's the White Queen. If there is anyone buying expensive Champagne, it'd be her.

Also, if that's actually cheap for Champagne, I'd just like to say I'm a poor fucker who'd never spend more than 5-10 dollars on a bottle of wine.

It’s not cheap but it’s nowhere near the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Oh, now I know why sparkling grape juice is in the kosher section of the supermarket. Thanks thread!

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wine has to meet specific guidelines to be considered kosher. Other boozes might be acceptable unless it's passover, depending on what they're made out of.

To expand on this - wine is considered sacred. As such, there are far more stringent rules regarding it than other forms of alcohol. As a general rule, pretty much any alcoholic beverage is kosher (excluding wine) - there are a couple exceptions, but they're mostly liqueurs. The only one that immediately comes to mind is Jagermeister, I think - I don't remember why it's not kosher, I just remember that it isn't.

Kosher champagne does exist - some of it actually isn't too bad - none of it is on the level of high end non-kosher champagne.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Uh, she's the White Queen. If there is anyone buying expensive Champagne, it'd be her.

Also, if that's actually cheap for Champagne, I'd just like to say I'm a poor fucker who'd never spend more than 5-10 dollars on a bottle of wine.

She's not buying kosher champagne because she's an East Coast WASP who probably has incredibly specific ideas about the correct champagne to ever drink.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I don't think its impossible Emma would be able to provide kosher champagne that's high quality.

It's not like there aren't rich Jewish people in real life, so there has to be at least one winery in France making kosher high end champagne.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does Kitty even keep Kosher thiugh?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skwirl posted:

Does Kitty even keep Kosher thiugh?

That would require writers that know kosher laws. :v:

But it's also a better mental image to picture Emma taking a break from her maybe-supervillainy to fly to Champagne and handpick a bottle from a kosher vineyard, so I'll stick with that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I don't think its impossible Emma would be able to provide kosher champagne that's high quality.

It's not like there aren't rich Jewish people in real life, so there has to be at least one winery in France making kosher high end champagne.

Some of the bigger name producers do make kosher champagne, but it's slightly above the cheap stuff. They don't go through all the longer aging and extras for the small niche.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

twistedmentat posted:

To be called "Champagne", it must be manufactured not merely in France, but in the Champagne region. Anything else is 'sparkling wine'.

Where did we get the idea that Emma is Jewish anyway? She's as WASP-y as they come.

As for Kitty, I think it was said back in the 80's that she wasn't kosher, not sure though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Gynovore posted:

To be called "Champagne", it must be manufactured not merely in France, but in the Champagne region. Anything else is 'sparkling wine'.

Where did we get the idea that Emma is Jewish anyway? She's as WASP-y as they come.

As for Kitty, I think it was said back in the 80's that she wasn't kosher, not sure though.

I don't think anyone said that Emma was Jewish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Yeah it was just a joke, then I think people are just genuinely interested in kosher champagne now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gynovore posted:

No, people are saying that Emma is the one who sent it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rhyno posted:

No, people are saying that Emma is the one who sent it.

Probably. Actually I can kinda see this happening. Emma did a bunch of hosed up poo poo during the Inhumans arc, but I don't see her going back to being a full scale mustache-twirling villain, partly because she's matured past that point, but mostly because she'd look silly with a mustache. I can see her sending some champagne to Kitty, bratwurst to Magneto, and a basket of assorted cheeses to Storm and Beast, along with a text saying "We good, right?"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gynovore posted:

Probably. Actually I can kinda see this happening.

It had a note from "E.F." and said to be "astonishing" or whatever.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Was Marrow ever popular? Because I am loving her on the 1998-era X-Men team. She's so gloriously lovely to everyone and it's hilarious, plus I am a sucker for her underlying self-perception issues due to her looks and upbringing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't know about popular, but she was certainly prominent for a number of years. I always thought she was a cool character but she kind of just stalled out in the stories, as is the fate of so many interesting later-day X-characters.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Metalshark posted:

Was Marrow ever popular? Because I am loving her on the 1998-era X-Men team. She's so gloriously lovely to everyone and it's hilarious, plus I am a sucker for her underlying self-perception issues due to her looks and upbringing.

Meh. At first I actually liked her "yeah I'm ugly, got a problem?" attitude. But, just when she came close to becoming three dimensional, the Magical Shi'ar Health Machine made her into a beautiful princess, which undid everything leading up to that.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it was just a joke, then I think people are just genuinely interested in kosher champagne now.

Way more than anyone wants to know about what makes wine kosher:

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/wine-topics/mevushal-wine-kosher-wine-definitions-explanations/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I am a fan of the X-Men! Not reading the current titles, but I keep an eye out like a hawk for an opportunity to jump back in. Them getting rid of the young versions as I hear they may do, that might entice me.

What's the deal with aloof magical teen looking returned Jean Grey? She looks like Hope Summers, this Jean is probably younger looking than young Jean. I like Jean like I like my coffee. Old! Old as hell! I for one will not stand for Jean being an ominous magical girl! It's 2018, we have to move along, let Jean just be a relatable empathetic person. Once you are writing about a person with a personality, you go from there, see where their live goes.

This is just nitpicking conjecture based on previews and what I've gleaned though, can't weigh in on Taylor's writing. The vibe I get is not drawing me in though. It seems like it's a Buffy season 6 thing or something? Does everybody have to do this when they come back from the dead/the space place, it's not that big of a deal. Or even if it is, you've just gotta live life Jean. No don't act like you're going to fight Storm in the preview, that's boring. Do something that matters or makes sense. This is your mostly uninformed rant ramble, from somebody who had that Jim Lee lunchbox. X-MEN!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Heavy Metal posted:

I am a fan of the X-Men! Not reading the current titles, but I keep an eye out like a hawk for an opportunity to jump back in. Them getting rid of the young versions as I hear they may do, that might entice me.

What's the deal with aloof magical teen looking returned Jean Grey? She looks like Hope Summers, this Jean is probably younger looking than young Jean. I like Jean like I like my coffee. Old! Old as hell! I for one will not stand for Jean being an ominous magical girl! It's 2018, we have to move along, let Jean just be a relatable empathetic person. Once you are writing about a person with a personality, you go from there, see where their live goes.

This is just nitpicking conjecture based on previews and what I've gleaned though, can't weigh in on Taylor's writing. The vibe I get is not drawing me in though. It seems like it's a Buffy season 6 thing or something? Does everybody have to do this when they come back from the dead/the space place, it's not that big of a deal. Or even if it is, you've just gotta live life Jean. No don't act like you're going to fight Storm in the preview, that's boring. Do something that matters or makes sense. This is your mostly uninformed rant ramble, from somebody who had that Jim Lee lunchbox. X-MEN!

Hm, if the point to this ramble is "Jean looks too young in X-Men Red", I agree fully. I have the worst goddamn memory, and when reading the newest issue it took until she said "the things you miss when you're dead" (or whatever) before I remembered she was Original Jean and not Teen Jean.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wow, that last page of Legion was one hell of an ending. Should have seen it coming with David's shirt...

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

IUG posted:

Wow, that last page of Legion was one hell of an ending. Should have seen it coming with David's shirt...

Spoil it please? I'm not gonna be able to make it to the shop for a while.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How'd he come back after erasing himself from existence in the last series anyway?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

Spoil it please? I'm not gonna be able to make it to the shop for a while.

This is a spoiler of the ending of Legion. The doctor helps Legion win against Lord Trama by coming to terms with her own. She is put in a coma during this. David goes into the astral plane and sees her struggle while he's being healed by her actions (floating just out her window). Then she wakes up and realizes that she's been doing all her celebrity shrink work for the fame. She decides to go to a third world country under war. She's giving psychological help to victims effected by the war, and is a lot more fulfilled.

This is a spoiler for the last page of Legion. Turns out she never woke up from the coma. Everything you see after she "wakes up" is just a fantasy he gave her, since he put her in a coma.

Thinking about it some more, there's another wink. They say the mother comes in from England I believe. But the comic makes it look like this is all in one day, and the mother got there awfully quick. Plus, Legion is also moving around the astral plane for a while, when the doctor is doing the combat. I haven't re-read that, but I imagine that David was cured for a while, and stuck around the hospital for a while hoping she would wake up. He probably did the fantasy when he realized she's never going to.

Synthbuttrange posted:

How'd he come back after erasing himself from existence in the last series anyway?

They never say how.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The universe was remade twice since then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Morrison X-men vs Claremont X-Men.

Debate & Discuss.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Covok posted:

Debate & Discuss.

Morrison's run is shorter, but his Wolverine is taller.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

secondary mutations are silly but mutant culture was nice rip all them mutants

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Covok posted:

Debate & Discuss.

No contest.

Claremont all day. I liked Morrison's X-Men, but he's never going to have the definitive run on a Marvel character. DC characters are more mythic, and open to interpretation.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Claremont has flaws, foibles, and the latter part of his run is of dubious quality. It's still easily Claremont.

To my mind, Claremont was a lot more instrumental to these characters than Lee and Kirby were, and his soap opera plotting set the tone for the X-Men as they would go on to be. Fundamental characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Colossus and Wolverine took shape under Claremont's pen, and they didn't persist in popularity because he was the only game in town - it was because he built them up from loose costumes and a set of powers into people readers were invested in over years of writing about their lives and adventures. Even Scott and Jean can really credit most of the interesting parts of their character to Claremont, rather than to their exploits in the 60s comics. Magneto can certainly credit every single interesting part of his character, and his persistent popularity, to Claremont's reinvention of him as a holocaust survivor with sympathetic elements.

Morrison's run is pretty cool but honestly, at its worst it feels callous and inhuman. Children die and the book shrugs. At its best it's trading in big, bold ideas and revitalising the X-Men, but at its worst Magneto is a drug-addicted maniac who murders mutant children and rants about marching humans into the ovens. Also, the Xorn twist is extremely stupid and makes no sense. Also, the sentient DNA from the dawn of time twist is extremely stupid and makes no sense.

That's a little harsh. I think Beak is a great character. Cassandra Nova is a scary and compelling villain. The Magneto stuff arguably makes more sense in light of the final arc, where you can see that the sentient DNA from the dawn of time is basically bodysnatching its victims rather than just influencing their behaviour, what with how it hollows out Beast and turns him into the arc villain.

On the whole, though, Morrison's X-Men is just a cool run with some good stories. Claremont's run oozes humanity and interest - it's both classic superhero stories, and a writer laying down the firmament for pretty much the entire X-Men franchise. It goes off the rails around the Australia era, and never really recovers, but despite that I'd still give the edge to Claremont.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Covok posted:

Debate & Discuss.

Morrison had a good run on a book that Claremont defined.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, it's absolutely no contest. Morrison's X-Men is great, Claremont basically re-invented the X-Men and defined it for multiple generations. I'm hard pressed to think of a more important or better comics run. Lee/Kirby FF and Lee/Ditko Spider-Man are the only things I can think of that come close, and those runs are shorter ( a lot shorter when it comes to Lee/Ditko Spider-Man).

I wouldn't mind Morrison working for Marvel again, a Morrison take on Spider-Man could be cool, especially if he sorta did what he did with Batman .

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Claremont's run is one of the most important and iconic of any comic book in the last 40 years, Morrison's is just a decent run of stories. It's not in the same league, hell, it ain't even the same sport.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

One of the best things about Claremont is his obvious literary influence. He's bringing ideas into comics from romance novels, sci-fi novels, adventure, detective and mystery novels, throughout his run. He approaches the X-Men's powers with a sort of sci-fi zeal, rigorously elaborating on the nature of telepathy and how Storm needs to use a deft touch to prevent her weather control abilities from having a cascade effect on local weather systems. He uses words like "hydroplaning" and "compeers", and there's one whole issue where the villains are all characters from The Master & Margarita, a censored Soviet novel from the 1930s, and he never mentions this or calls out the reference, they just are.

Read an issue of Avengers from the same time period, and you can instantly tell the difference. The vocabulary is simpler, the stories less ambitious, there's just way less going on mentally. Read a Justice League issue from the same era, and it's even more simplistic.

Claremont doesn't get enough credit for it, I think - because he was so prolific and some of his issues are clunkers, he doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as writers like Moore or Morrison when people talk about comics as a medium - but he was really raising the bar for what kinds of stories comics could tell.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Also, the sentient DNA from the dawn of time twist is extremely stupid and makes no sense.

Story pitch: Three-way war between Sublime (evil DNA from the dawn of life of Earth, whose influence mutants resist), That Which Endures (evil DNA from the dawn of life of Earth, whose influence mutants resist), and the Phalanx (evil robot DNA from space, whose influence mutants resist). Late in the second act, there's a twist reveal that it's all been orchestrated by the Nate Grey's last big solo enemy (evil mitochondria from somewhat before the dawn of life on Earth, digestion by which all life on Earth now resists because of the energies of the mutant shaman) as part of a larger scheme against the Brethren (evil germs uplifted and anthropomorphized by the Celestials).

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely no contest. Morrison's X-Men is great, Claremont basically re-invented the X-Men and defined it for multiple generations. I'm hard pressed to think of a more important or better comics run. Lee/Kirby FF and Lee/Ditko Spider-Man are the only things I can think of that come close, and those runs are shorter ( a lot shorter when it comes to Lee/Ditko Spider-Man).

Otto Binder's Superman work might not be better, I'll admit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Intelligent lesser lifeform = Whoa what's going on this doesn't make any sense

Laser eyes and teleporting through hell = Okay this is plausible

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Excuse you, they are concussive beams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are lasers and cyclops did 9/11

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
OPTIC BLASTS!!!! *zapzapzap*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aphrodite posted:

Intelligent lesser lifeform = Whoa what's going on this doesn't make any sense

Laser eyes and teleporting through hell = Okay this is plausible

I don’t understand why you are restating his point.

Making it more concise