Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think I heard the anime's animation department whimpering as I read this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Man page 48 is INSANE.

Is anyone else starting to think that the Murata manga is never going to get back in line with the ONE version and this arc is going to follow a completely different track? Garou is already a completely different character after all.

I can go in detail in the ONE version thread but I think that even with the big differences and additions here so far, this arc's climax will fall in line with the ONE version. All the pieces are still in place.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Webcomic slight spoilers: A certain someone's looking quite fine.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Murata has removed his limiter, he can now draw forever.

Murata adapting OPM was literally his death wish, so of course.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Murata adapting OPM was literally his death wish, so of course.

That is one of my favorite things about How One Punch Man Came To Be.

Murata's deathbed wish isn't "More time with my family" or "if I only talked to Person X". It's "That webcomic... I need to redraw that webcomic!"

mabels big day posted:

I can go in detail in the ONE version thread but I think that even with the big differences and additions here so far, this arc's climax will fall in line with the ONE version. All the pieces are still in place.

I'd be interested, at least.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah. They've been diverging for a while (beyond the manga simply having more content) but the past couple chapters have made it pretty clear that they're fully different stories.

Not really? What's the difference, other than a fight or two being added. The characters are still the same and it looks like all the events still happen in roughly the same timeframe. It's definitely ending the same way

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I have no idea how this is gonna end, but it would be pretty funny if Saitama was the first one to arrive at the scene for once. The hero association would just be left with the bombed out husk of the Monster Association HQ. All the prep time and paranoia for nothing.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Well yeah. The monster King wasn't in the ONE version at all, for one so things are naturally gonna be a bit different comparatively.

Spoilers bro, Murata readers dont know that :nono:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

golden bubble posted:

I adore how easily Murata and ONE manage to manipulate scale. He can makes Orochi look 1000 ft tall in one instance, and then make Orochi look like barely bigger than a human when Garou is giving is a speech. He really knows just how to use perspective tricks, character comparisons, and panel framing to adjust a monster's emotional size without going off model. Like these two pages for comparison.

Murata is a disaster level God artist. It's completely incredible.

Orochi is amazingly put together, I absolutely love the idea and the design, but holy hell Garou. Holy loving poo poo. Can't wait for the next update.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Electric Phantasm posted:

No I mean got confused by what was going on. Was it a flashback or something cause the Orochi shown there looks different from the one Garou is fighting.

Context makes it real obvious that was a flashback to when Orochi first became a monster. His human form was obscured because it's not important.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not looking at the moonlanguage version. But the wait from your reactions may just kill me.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Yeah the flashback was obvious but does that mean the fat eyemonster used to be a hot woman?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Darth TNT posted:

Not looking at the moonlanguage version. But the wait from your reactions may just kill me.

What wait?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pik_d posted:

What wait?

:aaa: I somehow missed that link and didn't see it on Mangadex when I looked earlier. Thank you very much.

I will support all opinions on this chapter being magnificent. :eyepop:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Yeah the flashback was obvious but does that mean the fat eyemonster used to be a hot woman?

It's called menopause and stop being so rude.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bremen posted:

I think I heard the anime's animation department whimpering as I read this chapter.
You say that as though we'll ever get more One-Punch anime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

What respectable scientist doesn't perform experiments on their own body?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mordaedil posted:

What respectable scientist doesn't perform experiments on their own body?

Bulma Briefs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Meme Emulator posted:

Bulma Briefs

I dunno--she's almost fifty at this point and still looks suspiciously youthful.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
She has a device that lets her track the seven artifacts that summon a literal wish granting dragon and is the wealthiest person on the planet. You seriously think she never slipped in a King Piccolo when no one was looking?

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Bulma owns.

Garou owns.

This chapter owned. I am still recovering from peak ownage. Except the great thing about this arc is that peak ownage keeps getting redefined with each chapter.

So hype.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Murata I love your stuff but please don't work yourself to death. Your output has been bonkers lately.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terror Sweat posted:

Not really? What's the difference, other than a fight or two being added. The characters are still the same and it looks like all the events still happen in roughly the same timeframe. It's definitely ending the same way

In the webcomic, no one knows about the Monster Association ahead of time. The big reason so many S class heroes are sent to attack the monster's den simultaneously was to guaranty the safety of the hostage. The Monster Association is able to put up as much of a fight that they were, not because they were uniquely strong or powerful, but because they were unexpectedly coordinated in a manner the heroes were not prepared for, because the monsters purposely exploited the heroes vulnerabilities, and because the heroes were overconfident in their own invincibility and went in half-cocked.

The manga has an entirely different scenario. The Monster Association is well known. They've already made raids into several major cities. (Compare with the webcomic where they've deliberately kept hidden until they can take out the S classed heroes, and where the public never real learns about them.) The heroes are, well not necessarily united, are at least fully aware of the threat and have readily formed make shift groups in response, even the S class heroes.

In the webcomic, Garou correctly recognizes that the Hero Association heroes by-and-large aren't good people, and even those that are fall short of any heroic ideal. But in the manga version, the heroes are genuinely a self-less, self-sacrificing bunch. In the webcomic, several of the S-class heroes don't show up for the response and many don't even report in, but every S-ranked hero who was "unreliable" has been accounted for in the manga. Aside from that, compare how the webcomic portrays the heroes behavior in the Monster Association arc with how the manga has Sneck (of all heroes!) willfully endangering himself to protect Suiryu in the martial arts tournament.

We've gone from the heroes having trouble because of their own hubris to the heroes having trouble because the monsters are just that strong. Not only is that a big change just on it's own, it also changes the whole dynamic of Garou's character.

Instead of recognizing the heroes as hypocrites and identifying as a monster out of doubts he can live up to his own moral standards, now Garou has mistaken the heroes as hypocrites, and the tension isn't in his insecurity but in his poor sense of judgement. Additionally, in the webcomic, Garou is just a human (albeit, an exceptionally strong human), and how the whole point of his character is that, for all his bluster, he's not actually monstrous in any way that actually matters. Now in the manga he's diegetically half-way towards transforming, or something.

The characters are similar and the events are broadly the same, but the thematics are wildly different.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The heroes in the manga still come across as a bunch of hypocrites and self-centered assholes. I haven't read the webcomics though

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

How the gently caress is the artist pumping out 70 page masterpieces like this every other week?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can't freaking believe that Orochi decided to use martial arts and then turned into a hundred monsters also using martial arts

This chapter is good

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sub Harrison posted:

How the gently caress is the artist pumping out 70 page masterpieces like this every other week?

Murata is a genius.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Sub Harrison posted:

It's been about a month, actually.

It's still a poo poo load of awesome art, but not as wild a pace.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I can't freaking believe that Orochi decided to use martial arts and then turned into a hundred monsters also using martial arts

This chapter is good

Orochi is the unholy combination of a "gently caress YOU" videogame bossfight and a child making poo poo up in the playground.

"Nuh uh, my next form is my arms turning into a dozen mouths and all of them fire laser beams at you"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
In terms of pure art quality I can't put anyone else at Murata's level right now, especially with how quickly he pops out what is basically a monthly manga serialization. The style really suits the material too, it's quite the match.

It also helps that he gets to draw so many different monsters and characters so nothing ever gets stale, and it's not the typical shonen formula of seeing the same transformations and moves from a few main heroes/villains over and over again. Which don't get me wrong, I like that quite a bit, but the variety is an asset to him here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BIG webcomic spoilers/manga speculation (SERIOUSLY DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE WEBCOMIC):

I think even with the additions of Orochi and the S class heroes being more prepared for the Monster Association, in the end, it will still end up in the same situation with the Monster HQ destroyed and the S class heroes fighting the elite monsters on the rubble above. How we get from point A to B will definitely be different, but I don't see this version changing those climactic scenes too much. I believe Orochi is probably being set up to be a final obstacle for Garou to defeat before he swoops in at the end of the arc and fights Saitama, so people can have some kind of expectation of him potentially being a match to Saitama. Obviously he won't be, but considering what happens in that fight, I think they're trying to set it up that way. Orochi is definitely strong, and if they set it up so Garou gets a single blow and kills him, people might begin to believe he can actually prove even a little bit of a challenge for Saitama, which makes the fight more hype. And the whole talk about Garou undergoing natural monsterization by being pushed to his limits of death constantly matches up exactly with how his fight with Saitama ends up, with him finally "transforming" into a complete monster when Garou believes he's totally lost and "gives up" his humanity. At the very least, I don't think the main themes and story beats of this fight will be any different, because I think they're perfect already.

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2018

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Definitely do not click that spoiler if you haven’t read the webcomic.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I really doubt this version will diverge from the original web comic. ONE does the writing and storyboarding for this version too. Think of the original web comic as a rough draft. He's expanding upon the events and doing a bunch of character and world building too. Some things change, but I really doubt he will take it in some completely different direction than the web comic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It'll probably change in small ways. Like how the three demon monsters- mouse, showerhead, horn- had a strategy that involved combining powers for a stronger attack.

But yeah, it'll probably end with King's arm rocketing into Garou's throat, distracting him as volcanic rocks fire into him and shoot him out of Earth's gravity and into space.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Murata is the god of comic books

I love that this comic is amazing both with its genuine action sequences and comedy. It's such a nice blend

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Remember that one time he did a 130+ page chapter update? :shepface:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Parrotine posted:

Remember that one time he did a 130+ page chapter update? :shepface:

And then like 2 weeks later he made a 50+ page update?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Garou is such a fuckin' badass, goddamn

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Amante posted:

Garou is such a fuckin' badass, goddamn

Actually the monsters are all losers and the heroes are big and strong and cool

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nalin posted:

I really doubt this version will diverge from the original web comic. ONE does the writing and storyboarding for this version too. Think of the original web comic as a rough draft. He's expanding upon the events and doing a bunch of character and world building too. Some things change, but I really doubt he will take it in some completely different direction than the web comic.

It already has diverge.

And again, I'm not suggesting that events will play out differently or that the plot will be wildly different. I'm saying that it's a different story thematically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the story is about a guy who punches things, one time,