Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I keep wanting to get into Overwatch, but I wish they had even a single class that's close-range with long delays between shots. TF2's mostly about shotguns and explosives that require you to dodge around for a second before you shoot again. Everything's a hose in Overwatch, even its shotguns, and I don't enjoy damage hoses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ditocoaf posted:

I keep wanting to get into Overwatch, but I wish they had even a single class that's close-range with long delays between shots. TF2's mostly about shotguns and explosives that require you to dodge around for a second before you shoot again. Everything's a hose in Overwatch, even its shotguns, and I don't enjoy damage hoses.

I had a lot of fun with Roadhog at launch. Slow-firing stuff that requires accuracy but absolutely dunks on someone if it hits. You'd think Junkrat and Pharah would have been fun as well, but ime they tended more towards the "spam at the big cluster of people" style of play rather than being about hitting individual good shots.

Dunno if that's changed now though, I haven't played ow in ages and I hear they've done a bunch of balance changes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Matchmaking is what killed Overwatch for me. If you're playing on a server with 20+ randos of varying skill level, being off your game might mean that you wind up getting outplayed by 3 or 4 extra people out of 20 (compared to where you're usually at.) If you're playing on a server with 11 equally competent randos, being off your game means that you're getting badly outplayed by 11 out of 11 players. The whole Overwatch experience is just absolutely miserable for any kind of casual play.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Matchmaking isn’t as bad as not playing a preferred team comp in my opinion. Even if I’m on my best game, my team can lose pretty easily because we picked the wrong tank/DPS/healer and the teammate refuses to switch. That’s not really the case in TF2 because there is only one hero, and if your team has a decent amount of generalist you can get by.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

flatluigi posted:

that's a hell of a take right there

You know one of the dumbest things about Something Awful is the tedious, bandwagony hate towards just about any internet personality, almost as a default setting no matter what.

I don't know if Star_ ran into this during his session but the most notable thing to me about TF2's sad state is how loving prolific hackers seem to be now compared to even a few years ago. I started playing again over the last week after I tried to get into Overwatch and bounced off of it, and at least once a day I see some wildly spinning sniper shooting spies and scouts in the head spamming about Lmaobox. Jesus, it's just kind of sad to see things like this honestly.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They have always been there it's possibly that you are running into them more because of match making.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jippa posted:

They have always been there it's possibly that you are running into them more because of match making.

How's that?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

khwarezm posted:

How's that?

If you are good at playing and making good progressing terms of skill, then the hackers who get lots of points and also raise their level will be matched with you more.

We need Valve to act quicker so they cannot rise through the ranks.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I'm coming back to TF2 after a long time. When was Brazil added? What a dreadfully un-tf2 map with the funhouse hallway maze interior surrounding the point.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Brazil was added in the Jungle Inferno update. The point itself isn’t too bad but I agree the remaining space is pretty awful.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I really love koth, but I was pretty disappointed with both of Jungle Inferno's koth maps. The points are much too easy to defend. There's no good positions to put pressure on them from.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Other than Banana Bay they were all pretty miserable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know its far, far gone by now, but I feel like the Jungle Inferno maps deviate too much from TF2's artstyle. Compared to the rustic desert, industrial or Alpine maps I don't think the maps visually work well with the characters and overall theming of the game, especially the dark green you see on the plants in Brazil or Enclosure, and the whole Jungle look doesn't seem 'right' to me. A lot of them just look like custom maps recreating the style of a totally different game altogether.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 27, 2018

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

my favorite thing about jungle inferno was how it was first teased almost a year before it actually released

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

khwarezm posted:

I know its far, far gone by now, but I feel like the Jungle Inferno maps deviate too much from TF2's artstyle. Compared to the rustic desert, industrial or Alpine maps I don't think the maps visually work well with the characters and overall theming of the game, especially the dark green you see on the plants in Brazil or Enclosure, and the whole Jungle look doesn't seem 'right' to me. A lot of them just look like custom maps recreating the style of a totally different game altogether.

I feel like Jungle Inferno's maps reflect a modern updated take on TF2's artstyle, like a lot of the newer cosmetics do compared to the first ones we got back in the day. The problem is that it's still in TF2 instead of being in a theoretical TF3 or something like that, so it clashes with existing older content

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I feel like Jungle Inferno's maps reflect a modern updated take on TF2's artstyle, like a lot of the newer cosmetics do compared to the first ones we got back in the day. The problem is that it's still in TF2 instead of being in a theoretical TF3 or something like that, so it clashes with existing older content

I really, really like most of the older maps on a purely visual level and overall I've been impressed at their ability to add new biomes without deviating too much from the overall style, unfortunately the sort of Epcott/Jungle theme they have in the most recent maps just looks wrong to me. Absolutely nobody plays Arena anymore (:() but Lumberyard is one of the prettiest maps they ever added imo and it was doubly impressive at the time it was released since it was a major visual departure from what had dominated every other setting TF2 ever had and still fitted in almost perfectly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Banana Bay is just insane. Which I suppose is why it's still probably my favourite Payload Race maps by far; that game mode is always carnage and madness, Banana Bay embraces that.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Payload race is one of my favourite gamemodes and that its now tucked away in Alternative Game modes makes me wanna die
Also.the.jungle.theme is just fine

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So I'm yet another one of the people who got lured back to TF2 after years of not playing, and I've hit a snag.

You see, I've been running TF2 on a potato laptop for a while, so I was relying on Chrisconfigs to make it remotely playable. Years later, I catch up in the thread and see there's better options out there. So I try the comanglia configs. I set everything up, switch the commenting out on the autoexec it gave to the Toaster configuration, and then went ahead and added the null movement/medic radar/engineer building scripts from the OP that I had used before.

Now, I went to go find my old autoexec.cfg to get rid of it so there were no conflicts, and... Could not actually find it. I wasn't sure if I had installed a fresh copy of TF2 at some point in the past few years and gotten rid of it, or if a TF2 update had changed the file structure and thus it got lost somewhere and became irrelevant, but either way, I couldn't locate it. So, I just plopped in eveything the guide said into the relevant TF2 cfg folder, set new launch options, and started it up.

Now, I cannot actually tell how well it worked, because whenever I try to play, it seems my controls are hosed. I cannot actually move the character in any direction, nor even jump, although the game still plays the sounds that accompany running and jumping. If I try to use weapons, they make a rapid firing sound, but don't actually launch projectiles, they don't use ammo, and yet for some reason, hitscan weapons will still make an impact dust cloud. And they fire super rapidly so sweeping a pistol across a wall lets me draw things in very fast smoke trails. Building also produces nothing.

I'm sure there's some kind of crazy conflict and the ghost of Chrisconfigs is still probably haunting me, but I'm also willing to believe I screwed up in some other way.

So I guess the tl;dr of it is, does anyone know where TF2 formerly had it's config files before they changed the file structure, and/or does anyone know of any reason why comanglia configs could have make the game completely uncontrollable.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Try deleting the engy build scripts first, that sounds like some thing that could mess with movement. Other than that just delete your whole autoexec so the game runs normally with every thing on default.

Then slowly add chunks of comanglias bit by bit and run the game checking it's not screwing up the game by test running it.

Mine is located at:

c - programfiles86 - steam - steamapps - common - teamfortress2 - tf - cfg

Jippa fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 27, 2018

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
You may wanna go into steam, right click on team fortress 2, in the updates tab at the bottom disable the cloud synchronisation too if it keeps going back to the settings you deleted some how. Not saying that's anything to do with the problem, just if I knew that myself when I was trying to fix a configuration problem it would have saved me so much time.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

ArfJason posted:

Payload race is one of my favourite gamemodes and that its now tucked away in Alternative Game modes makes me wanna die
Also.the.jungle.theme is just fine

I like it, too, but it really needs a time limit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I wish there was a way to choose which server location you wanted in match making. Did I imagine being able to limit by ping or did they remove that? Not that it really helps me as it's the location of the servers not the actual ping (routing I'm guessing) that is the problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jippa posted:

I wish there was a way to choose which server location you wanted in match making. Did I imagine being able to limit by ping or did they remove that? Not that it really helps me as it's the location of the servers not the actual ping (routing I'm guessing) that is the problem.

Click your own avatar at the top of the menu, then Matchmaking Settings that drops down, and enable custom ping limit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

Click your own avatar at the top of the menu, then Matchmaking Settings that drops down, and enable custom ping limit.

Thanks mate.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah they changed gane directories from steamapps/<username> to steamapps/common at one point

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Game seems pointless to even boot up now any old randy can crash the server with no issue.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

From what I can tell, lagbots and crashing is a pretty severe issue in Europe, but I haven't encountered many at all in eastern US. I can only remember seeing it happen once, actually.

Still, that really sucks if you do live anywhere else. Hopefully Valve gets it fixed pretty soon.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trying to get back into this, having some serious framerate issues

I've got everything cranked down to minimum possible settings short of cranking the resolution down to a postage stamp, and my framerate drops down to like ~10 when I get into a firefight

For context, I'm able to happily run Overwatch at max at 60fps

What steps should I take to run this fuckin 10+ year old game at a reasonable speed and get back into the hat game

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sockser posted:

I've got everything cranked down to minimum possible settings short of cranking the resolution down to a postage stamp, and my framerate drops down to like ~10 when I get into a firefight

What steps should I take to run this fuckin 10+ year old game at a reasonable speed and get back into the hat game

A quick simple simple test would be to run in dx 8 instead of 9.

Right click on tf2 in steam and go to launch options and copy and paste:

-dxlevel 81

Then report back. You can use a whole config if needed but that is a really quick and easy change.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sockser posted:

How's your hard drive? I had TF2 installed on a lovely old dying drive and I got horrendous frame stuttering issues. Then I tossed it on an SSD and it ran like a dream again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Slime posted:

How's your hard drive? I had TF2 installed on a lovely old dying drive and I got horrendous frame stuttering issues. Then I tossed it on an SSD and it ran like a dream again.

The whole PC was built in Jan 2017, so it's got a 500gb SSD with a reasonable amount of space left and a GeForce 1070

Even cranking it down into poor man's DX8 it's still kinda not running nicely

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
That’s super strange. I run a GTX1060 and i5 and maintain 180+ with everything maxed regardless of the situation.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

Sockser posted:

The whole PC was built in Jan 2017, so it's got a 500gb SSD with a reasonable amount of space left and a GeForce 1070

Even cranking it down into poor man's DX8 it's still kinda not running nicely

TF2 is pretty CPU intensive and I don't know the magic formula but if you set things to high and use the -dxlevel 98 or 95 -- then you might get higher FPS than ol dx8/low goop etc. due to offloading things to GPU? At least that's how it worked in my experience. Higher FPS with higher quality settings rather than lower.

Also you could try some FUN FPS configs like

https://mastercomfig.com/

or this "outdated" config http://www.teamfortress.tv/25328/comanglia-s-config-fps-guide

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_tRiUuFbM

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
if we're gonna repost video then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2QMD1y8kQ

that smile kills me every time

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
loving CRASHBOTS jesus loving christ

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1UgiFPgLyE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My new laptop can't run a lot of games and I'm nostalgic. Is TF2 still... alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

My new laptop can't run a lot of games and I'm nostalgic. Is TF2 still... alright?

it's kind of hosed up now to be honest