Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Jesus, the Liberals are at 14% in that poll? Are they even going to win a seat with those numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

xtal posted:

Caption: leader of political party with roots in the labour movement denounces syndicalists

lol if you think Labour in Hamilton is even remotely sympathetic to the actions on Locke St.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

enki42 posted:

Jesus, the Liberals are at 14% in that poll? Are they even going to win a seat with those numbers?

Yes, probably a few. As was mentioned earlier province wide opinion polls don't translate to seat counts.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Conservative Facebook groups are going nuts, Doug Ford is infallible and CBC is a lying NDP controlled group which is pushing their own agenda.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Reince Penis posted:

I hope the ONDP is having daily conference calls with their candidates reminding them to STICK TO THE PLATFORM WHEN THEY TALK.

Why couldn’t this have happened two days before Election Day.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

enki42 posted:

yes but in parliamentary FPTP if a party falls below 20% really bad things happen (like on the road to extinction)

but this is a pretty special election I'm guessing they'll be back in power in a cycle or two

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

There's something kind of perfect about the juxtaposition of "ELECTION NIGHTMARE: WELCOME TO HELL" and "oh yeah, 60% off a hot tub and souvlaki delivered direct to your door!"

Toronto problems.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Manitoba PCs voted down the private members bill to add a non-binary option to driver licenses. I thought it would be an easy pass since it doesn't actually cost anything.

https://twitter.com/WabKinew/status/999683137914339331

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Ford on ONDP: They're rotten with anti-semitism

The proof?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I drove by Bombay Bhel this morning, plaza is taped off with tons of cops. In case you need booze, go to the SQ1 LCBO instead

Vote ONDP, Horwath is still bad but :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

"oh yeah, 60% off a hot tub and souvlaki delivered direct to your door!"

It's good to remember what's important in life.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Manitoba PCs voted down the private members bill to add a non-binary option to driver licenses. I thought it would be an easy pass since it doesn't actually cost anything.

The party with a leader who referred to non-christians as "infidels" and thanked the chair of the chamber of commerce for wearing her heels to a meeting is tone deaf?

WHAT?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

Ford on ONDP: They're rotten with anti-semitism

The proof?

Doesn't even look the the National Post is buying this.

I thought for sure it would be some Israel/Palestine comments by a candidate at least.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Yeah every single NDP candidate will have their social media gone over with a fine toothed comb by the PCs and OLP for entries like that. Even though, as far as I can tell, that photo and quote doesn't really make any sense? I'm trying to understand it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think as a rule, posting photos of Hitler with attributed quotes to your Facebook page is probably a bad idea.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
also winning the government right now as NDP might be a poisoned chalice since the economy has being doing well for so long, Horvath might get a repeat of 1990s Rae will he just gets stuck with a recession for no fault of their own

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Aside from the usual not-left-enough stuff, why do people here not like Horwath? Is it just because the NDP wasn't ready with a platform last election or is there something more?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

I think as a rule, posting photos of Hitler with attributed quotes to your Facebook page is probably a bad idea.

Yeah, and the candidate is from Agincourt-Guildwood. NDP probably don't have a chance in that riding anyways. Dump him and move on.

e: Her, apparently it's a her my bad

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gorewar posted:

I used to know a guy from Sudbury who thought that "Rae days" meant that Bob Rae declared a provincial holiday in his own name as though he was a Stalinist dictator. Yes, this was an adult. Dude would get enraged at the mention of his very name.

poo poo son, if Bob Rae somehow seized power here, declared 12 new statutory holidays under his own name, and then went back to whatever he was doing, I would be over the loving moon. We need way more stats.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

I drove by Bombay Bhel this morning, plaza is taped off with tons of cops. In case you need booze, go to the SQ1 LCBO instead

Vote ONDP, Horwath is still bad but :shrug:

I think Horvath is only really guilty of being boring. The worst I've heard about her is that she rigs nominations and lol find me an Ontario party leader that's not doing that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

Aside from the usual not-left-enough stuff, why do people here not like Horwath? Is it just because the NDP wasn't ready with a platform last election or is there something more?

I can't speak for anyone else but it was mostly just their (and by extension her) handling of the 2014 election, which they triggered, and then bumbled around for a few weeks before releasing the lamest platform ever seen. This leading to the Liberal majority that sold off everything in sight because no one could stop them is also a sore spot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Typo posted:

also winning the government right now as NDP might be a poisoned chalice since the economy has being doing well for so long, Horvath might get a repeat of 1990s Rae will he just gets stuck with a recession for no fault of their own

See also: Notley, Rachel

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

PT6A posted:

See also: Notley, Rachel

yeah who could have predicted the petrostate wasnt sustainable

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SilverMike posted:

yeah who could have predicted the petrostate wasnt sustainable

Everyone? What does that have to do with the terrible situation the ANDP inherited after decades of PC governance?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Economic downturns usually hurt Social Democratic parties because the leaders end up as the friendly face of austerity. If you can ignore the op eds in the Globe and the Post and actually use your power to make people's lives better then a bad economic downturn can be an opportunity to entrench your power and get poo poo done.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

If i'm the NDP I'm making sure this picture goes out everywhere today.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Everyone? What does that have to do with the terrible situation the ANDP inherited after decades of PC governance?

She's doubling and tripling down on the petrostate, abandoning the base that elected her in the first place and doing nothing to help people at all?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Duck Rodgers posted:

She is purely benefitting from anti-Ford and anti-Wynne sentiment at this point. Her platform sucked last time, she is anti-nuclear, and she is a worse speaker than Wynne. My local candidate was nominated days ago halfway into the race just before the cutoff for name on ballots.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I love how Levant's grifting operation became a huge liability to conservatives. He couldn't resist the sugar high of alt right subscription money and now he destroyed what could have been an effective movement conservative media empire, turning it into another marginalized niche operation that is purely parasitical to the larger movement.

It's so satisfying watching the Conservative movement getting tripped up by the greed of its members. Everyone just knew they would win the provincial election so all they were thinking of was the quickest way to steal a local nomination so they could hop aboard the Tory Gravy Train. Who needs a platform? Why bother to get candidates? We have this in the bag.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lmao nobody cares about loving nuclear

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

THC posted:

Nobody cares about Ashton either :ssh:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We need a can-do attitude to nuclear power in this country.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Duck Rodgers posted:

Horwath severely hosed up the party in the 2014 election and I wanted her to step down as leader then, but I'm very happy with how she's performed in this election. She must have really changed her team up or something. Because this is a 180 from 2014 in terms of performance.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

THC posted:

I do, but I don't see any chance in hell of Pickering/Darlington/Bruce getting shut down if they want electricity prices to remain slightly sane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MA-Horus posted:

I do, but I don't see any chance in hell of Pickering/Darlington/Bruce getting shut down if they want electricity prices to remain slightly sane.

germany.png

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Typo posted:

People say stuff like this... But how bad can a situation be? It's a party that's formed government once twenty five years ago. Who cares if the situation isn't strategically the best for them?

You take what you can get.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

We need a can-do attitude to nuclear power in this country.

Sorry, we sold it to SNC Lavalin

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

germany.png

Eh Pickering is already slated to start shutdown in 2022-2024, so unless they go whole hog and 1) proceed with the shutdown timeline and 2) cancel the Darlington refurb it's pretty much business as usual.

Between Pickering and Darlington that's 35% of Ontario's power requirements. You can't just replace that out of thin air, wind turbines and green power be damned.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Not to mention you need *something* to be able to generate a baseline amount of power when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing (and there's no place to build a hydroelectric dam).

Yeah nuclear isn't perfect but it beats oil and coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Not to mention you need *something* to be able to generate a baseline amount of power when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing (and there's no place to build a hydroelectric dam).

Yeah nuclear isn't perfect but it beats oil and coal.

Agreed. Plus the CANDU design loving owns and can burn just about anything that puts out ATOMZ as fuel, from pure uranium ore to nasty poo poo from the heart of a 10mt bomb.