Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything the individualism and free will are going to be continued to be massively overstated by capitalists to abdicate social responsibility and encourage self-loathing compliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/997108205858840576

welcome to the desert of the buttcoin

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Destroying bitcoin rigs is not only ethical, but enviromentally necessary.

and will be hilarious

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
does that 0.5% include the energy spent manufacturing "mining" equipment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MizPiz posted:

Destroying bitcoin rigs is not only ethical, but enviromentally necessary.

and will be hilarious

If we get to that point we're not gonna stop at bitcoin rigs.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(18)30177-6
The study uses the most conservative possible estimates of bitcoin energy usage to establish a lower bound. The energy calculations are based on taking the hash rate and dividing that by the most efficient mining rigs. Cooling costs, manufacturing costs, less efficient machines, other cryptocurrencies, etc. are not considered in establishing the lower bound.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(18)30177-6
The study uses the most conservative possible estimates of bitcoin energy usage to establish a lower bound. The energy calculations are based on taking the hash rate and dividing that by the most efficient mining rigs. Cooling costs, manufacturing costs, less efficient machines, other cryptocurrencies, etc. are not considered in establishing the lower bound.

So the actual figure is probably much, much higher.
Wonderful.

The utility of personal technology peaked in 2010 and hasnt change much since except delivering the same services faster.
Has anyone's life been improved even marginally by an omnipresent shadow A.I tracking their every online move.

no snarky 'made some people very rich'

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So the actual figure is probably much, much higher.
Wonderful.

The utility of personal technology peaked in 2010 and hasnt change much since except delivering the same services faster.
Has anyone's life been improved even marginally by an omnipresent shadow A.I tracking their every online move.

Sometimes it takes marginally less effort to put an appointment on my calendar?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Autonomous carrier-launched murderbots let the world's dumbest country bomb civilians with even less accountability :v:

Cynicism aside... people who are ~into that kind of thing~ have the option of intentionally leaving their wireless/internet dildo unsecured.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

The internet peaked in whatever year it was before Flash was deemed the devil and dudes were making Steam games for free with it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/dogsokaywooof/status/998973620654231552

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I'd just surrender and spend the rest of my life getting raped by pitbulls in cyberjail before I put any of that poo poo on my face

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not surprised, general dog

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That poo poo wont work for long

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am pro war paint but anti whatever the gently caress is going on with that weird emo hair.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Comrayn posted:

I am pro war paint but anti whatever the gently caress is going on with that weird emo hair.

This doesn't narrow it down, I'm assuming you mean the blue hair? I'm assuming they have a hard time parsing if your hair goes over your face but in a highly uneven way, and multiple colors probably don't help matters.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

univbee posted:

This doesn't narrow it down, I'm assuming you mean the blue hair? I'm assuming they have a hard time parsing if your hair goes over your face but in a highly uneven way, and multiple colors probably don't help matters.

the half bangs blue hair is dumb but I mean this dweeb

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Comrayn posted:

Obscures his face and breaks it up in a way that's confusing, especially since it probably makes the eyes hard to suss out. The face makeup is just strategic, as it confuses those systems too. At least with laws as they stand, doing either of these things (having wacky hair and makeup) isn't illegal.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

univbee posted:

Obscures his face and breaks it up in a way that's confusing, especially since it probably makes the eyes hard to suss out. The face makeup is just strategic, as it confuses those systems too. At least with laws as they stand, doing either of these things (having wacky hair and makeup) isn't illegal.

yeah also he looks like poo poo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Comrayn posted:

yeah also he looks like poo poo

True, but he gets to look like poo poo not in jail, that sounds like a win.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
the face of a winner

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
if i remember right part of the deal is making the nose/cheek area indistinct since that's really important to facial recognition cameras, so you have to have weird bangs and poo poo for it to work at all.

ed: "Partially obscure the nose-bridge area: The region where the nose, eyes, and forehead intersect is a key facial feature. This is especially effective against OpenCV's face detection algorithm"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Comrayn posted:

Pictured: the world's least recognizable man

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

New Mirror's Edge looking good

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
lol if anyone thinks that scramblepaint poo poo won't be illegal the second they need the data haha

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

General Dog posted:

Pictured: the world's least recognizable man
How he looks may surprise you!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

lol if anyone thinks that scramblepaint poo poo won't be illegal the second they need the data haha

You must pick a hairstyle from these options.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

univbee posted:

The future will have 3 acceptable hair styles

Buzz cut
Crew cut
High & tight

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

univbee posted:

The Nastier Nate posted:

The future will have 3 acceptable hair styles

Buzz cut
Crew cut
High & tight

this is the worst character creator ever

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i feel like just bigger sunglasses, maybe with some "decorative" stuff around the rims would be an easier solution to tricking surveillance cameras

though maybe they could learn to identify the glasses and just track those, giving the tracker de facto metadata on the subject?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RaySmuckles posted:

i feel like just bigger sunglasses, maybe with some "decorative" stuff around the rims would be an easier solution to tricking surveillance cameras

though maybe they could learn to identify the glasses and just track those, giving the tracker de facto metadata on the subject?
backup strategy:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

cops can call your shades a mask and make you take them off, clippers and foundation remover wipes aren't on their belts yet

also part of the point is the visible protest

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mandoric posted:

cops can call your shades a mask and make you take them off, clippers and foundation remover wipes aren't on their belts yet

also part of the point is the visible protest

yeah but if you're trying to avoid surveillance and you're in a position where a cop is telling you to take of your glasses then you're already caught

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
if you're a fugitive getting the full 'hands on the wall while we run a warrant check', sure

if you're one just interacting with crowd control or private security, not really

if you're clean and want to stay that way by not being flagged as ‼a gang member‼ for appearing near too many subversive events, not at all

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this loving rules, form and function

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mandoric posted:

if you're a fugitive getting the full 'hands on the wall while we run a warrant check', sure

if you're one just interacting with crowd control or private security, not really

if you're clean and want to stay that way by not being flagged as ‼a gang member‼ for appearing near too many subversive events, not at all

sorry homie, but big face concealing glasses is a much more simple and realistic way to conceal your face. in the same way hoodies or masks could be banned, any obvious subversive make up could and would be too. the glasses come off and don't make you look like anyone in those photos

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Just lmao if you aren't constantly glassing your own face to stick it to the giant computer robo-fash who also sells you mail order soap.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we just need the face makeup from that one tv show that glows extremely brightly in the sub-red part of the spectrum so it blinds cameras

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
IMO, the idea that there are attentive people manning surveillance systems in real time is the real fantasy, and dazzle makeup is useful to make recordings (which will have an attentive audience, after something has happened) worthless, or at least degrade the quality of the data e.g. forcing a slow review by humans vs the near instant searching you'd get with face recognition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I mean, the whole reason you implement a face recognizing surveillance system is that you want fewer people involved, you want a system where you type the name of a guy and you get a real time dot on a map. Nobody will notice a missing dot unless they already know whom to look for and where

The real flaw of dazzle make up is that it's an individualistic solution to a collective issue