Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

School Nickname posted:

Voted just now. Saw a bible in my polling booth lol.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/999920690718375936

Anyway, looks like absolutely whopper turnout in Dublin at least, so send in the dancing lobsters

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WeAreTheRomans posted:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/999920690718375936

Anyway, looks like absolutely whopper turnout in Dublin at least, so send in the dancing lobsters

And OH LOOK! It just falls open at 'thou shalt not kill' part. How strange. Look again, same page.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/rosagilbert/status/999423957861388290

The Yazidi, they're in the 'RA

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Couldn't have a nicer day to dismantle Irish patriarchy.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's pretty decent. I'm on my balcony eating hummus and listening to the radio. Some day for the lads (the lady lads)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

From the IT liveblog

quote:

By 5.30pm, turnout had exceeded 40% in a number of areas in Sligo town such as Cranmore and the Strandhill road.

In Tubbercurry, the talking point was the huge turnout of elderly voters with many arriving on walking aids and walking canes and with several linked in by relatives.

In other parts of Sligo however, staff commented on the large numbers of first time voters.

In Strandhill, where the busiest polling booth was reporting a 40% turnout, staff noted that voters were arriving in school uniforms, having recently turned 18.

Time for some good old fashioned generational warfare

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Voted yes and I'm on a good buzz for the exit poll this evening.

I'm guessing it's going to be 56% yes and 44% no.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Voted yes and I'm on a good buzz for the exit poll this evening.

I'm guessing it's going to be 56% yes and 44% no.

I'm beginning to think similarly but want to see the map.

I'm starting to get ahead of myself and thinking about voting patterns based on a pre-legislation election

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Like will Martin face a heave if enough FF strongholds go No

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Apologies in advance for the Foreign Person questions on a tense day but if I may: I was surprised that Ireland doesn't do postal votes for overseas citizens given there's so many, is this ever debated especially given it would seem a pretty big disadvantage for Yes or is there just concern re. the number and intent of people technically eligible for citizenship who have never set foot in the Republic

And also this is speculative but if there weren't any neighbouring liberal countries amenable to giving safe abortions to Irish girls / women do you think the law would have changed already or that the country would be struggling to keep the lid on a backalley industry or what

In any case I hope Ireland produces a better referendum outcome than we get in the UK

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IDK – I think Martin's pretty safe until the next general election. Which could be soon? Maybe?

I hope they have cameras on Maria, Ronan, Cora and John McFart when the result gets called.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Could the government, or groups within it, throw a spanner and delay/block if its a Yes vote?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Like will Martin face a heave if enough FF strongholds go No

not a chance before the election imo

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm terrified to think that the older No Vote will sweep it. But it looks like a decent Yes representation in the Midlands.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Apologies in advance for the Foreign Person questions on a tense day but if I may: I was surprised that Ireland doesn't do postal votes for overseas citizens given there's so many, is this ever debated especially given it would seem a pretty big disadvantage for Yes or is there just concern re. the number and intent of people technically eligible for citizenship who have never set foot in the Republic

There have been debates about extending the residency test to facilitate wider external voting for expatriates - the Referendum franchise is constitutionally linked to the Dail (parliament) franchise which is constituency based so most of the focus has been on granting Senate seats for non-resident citizens (usually a few for NI specifically and a few for other nonresidents) or possible creating new overseas seats to limit expatriate influence on local contests they are disconnected from.

There is a good deal of concern about the sizeable nonresident citizenship throwing referendums/elections towards results opposed by resident citizens (numbers of potential eligible citizens have been projected to be somewhere in the 1mil - 2 mil range which would p much have decisive control of any outcome) - the fear that Irish Americans are too out of touch with contemporary Irish concerns and Northerners tends towards the extreme politically usually bubbles under the surface when this comes up.

I've heard "no representation without taxation" quite a bit - and there was a couple of angry questions fielded by a segment of the population at public debates when Martin McGuinness, a Northerner and Irish citizen, ran for president.

FG have promised a referendum to extend the Presidential franchise to non residents at some point in the future.

Should also point out that getting a postal vote in Ireland even if you live there is still p hard, legal reading about requirements for the secrecy of the ballot freezes out the vast majority from accessing it and its only given out in exceptional circumstances (the secrecy issues is also why Ireland doesn't use voting machines)

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

there was a couple of angry questions fielded by a segment of the population at public debates when Martin McGuinness, a Northerner and Irish citizen, ran for president.

Haha I remember that. Hope someone checked up on the question askers. Part of me struggles to believe you could tell Martin McGuiness he's not Irish to his face and remain fully intact.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1000112813631770624

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Irish times political editor:

https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1000119714641862656

DONT TEASE ME

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-exit-poll-projects-ireland-has-voted-by-landslide-to-repeal-eighth-amendment-1.3508861

Get in there

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

No way it's a landslide.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well see what Tubridy has to say in an hour or so but I am now hyped

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

And also this is speculative but if there weren't any neighbouring liberal countries amenable to giving safe abortions to Irish girls / women do you think the law would have changed already or that the country would be struggling to keep the lid on a backalley industry or what

In any case I hope Ireland produces a better referendum outcome than we get in the UK

You technically lose your right to vote in Ireland after you have left the country for 18 months, so a lot of Irish people living overseas would not (technically) have a vote anyway. While 18 months is very strict (but not really enforced), you're right that the fact that there are so many expats means the country could be driven by outside forces which may not be a great idea.

You are probably right that the problem would have had to be dealt with before now if there were no access to abortion in the UK. That's been a big component in this referendum as well, the fact that Irish women are terminating pregnancies even if they're not available here.

Re: IT exit poll.. maybe hope isn't a lie?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Congrats to Ireland for enough of your regressive olds dying to finally make this day possible.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

^^^ There are plenty of "olds" who were against the 8th Amendment in 1983 and were instrumental in getting this Referendum in the first place, and plenty of young people canvassing for the No side.

Well see what Tubridy has to say in an hour or so but I am now hyped
I'm trying to temper my expectations since it's just an exit poll, and there's no way of knowing whether people responded truthfully when leaving the Polling Station. Although to be fair I would never have expected the Marriage Referendum to be a landslide win either.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 25, 2018

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Great news. Even if the IT exit poll is off by 10%, which would be unlikely but not impossible, it should still be a decent win though. When the RTE exit poll comes out at 23:30 it should hopefully almost confirm it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

From the detailed breakdown

quote:

The highest Yes vote was in Dublin, where 77 per cent of voters backed the proposals, the poll predicts.

While the majority in favour of repeal in rural Ireland at 60 per cent was smaller than in urban Ireland, it was still a thumping majority in favour of change.

The poll suggests that the margin of victory in the rest of Leinster outside Dublin will be 66 per cent to 34 per cent, while Munster will also break 66-34 in favour of repeal.

Even Connacht-Ulster, expected to be the bulwark of the anti-repeal vote, voted in favour of the constitutional change by 59 per cent to 41 per cent, the poll finds.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just been told that the RTE exit poll will also be 2:1 margin of victory for Yes.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Just been told that the RTE exit poll will also be 2:1 margin of victory for Yes.

Lovely stuff

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/ciarakellydoc/status/1000125083887788038

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Congratulations Ireland. You've done the right thing and I'm so glad women won't have to go through a tough and lonely trip to a wet, grey miserable island any more.
Terrific news.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Congratulations Ireland. You've done the right thing and I'm so glad women won't have to go through a tough and lonely trip to a wet, grey miserable island any more.
Terrific news.

Nope, we can stay on our own wet, grey miserable island instead! Though it seems a sunnier place now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope now that David Quinn, Declan Ganley and John McGuirk all crawl into a hole and gently caress off.

John Waters promised to leave the country so he can do that too.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Terrific news.

Just let me clear my throat to get full contrary nordie voice - But depending on how much an elective abortion will cost on the HSE (possibly ~€500) you might still get some Northerners jumping the Irish sea now that access on the NHS is free especially if the GP-led plan is followed through (who here has tried to get a GP appointment in Dublin)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As a northerner I am duty bound to sullenly moan at any good news

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Everyone that campaigned for this should feel very proud of themselves, a lovely result :)

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

:slick::slick:
:slick:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

As a northerner I am duty bound to sullenly moan at any good news

Its in our DNA.
Looking forward to some priest/politican in the north to call it satanic.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Thank you for responses to my questions and also congratulations on what looks to be a great result, the fact that it's not even particularly divisive across region and age group should spare Ireland any potential reactionary political fallout too

I hope the Northern parties pay attention even if I realise that this isn't going to exactly endear DUP and TUV voters to reform

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I'm so glad nobody else has to die in hospital (along with their miscarried, wanted baby) of preventable blood poisoning because 'this is a Catholic country'.

Not any more!

Holding on for the restrictive legislation though... and the actual results. But the tide is turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cancel the pope’s visit now please

• Locked thread