Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like classic overextension to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This reminds me of that time he Kickstarted a game called "Blades in the Dark" and touted its extensive playtesting, then changed a whole bunch of stuff in the game when he actually did playtesting.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did the dark fantasy military hack modeled Black Company and Malayan ever get finished?

I can personally attest that Band of Blades is in playtesting and is probably near release; I've seen it run at Big Bad Con, and know people who are on the playtesting list. It also looks loving rad and will have been worth the wait. In fact, you can apparently watch a playtest campaign of it run by the designer here, although I haven't seen it yet and can't vouch for the quality of the players.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kestral posted:

I can personally attest that Band of Blades is in playtesting and is probably near release; I've seen it run at Big Bad Con, and know people who are on the playtesting list. It also looks loving rad and will have been worth the wait. In fact, you can apparently watch a playtest campaign of it run by the designer here, although I haven't seen it yet and can't vouch for the quality of the players.

Thank you for linking this. It has made me so much more interested in this product.

Is there any sort of written out stuff available thus far? I am a backer of BiTD if that helps?

Bad Lieutenant
Jan 4, 2004

oh my is nothing sacred

Flavivirus posted:

I reckon so, though it's a little disappointing how little on that list is done. It's to be missing A Nocturne, though, which actually seems to be coming along pretty nicely.

It's not 100% unfeasible, but I think it's suffering from not having any real deadlines. I managed to get 5 stretch goal pbta games done in 10 months for legacy, but that was in a large part through setting strict deadlines and trying to clamp down scope creep as much as possible.
A Nocturne also isn't an official Blades product (it is, however, rad as hell). There are definitely a few independent projects which are much farther along than all but two official ones (S&V and Blades Against Darkness, although I think Band of Blades has had some progress too) due to a few nerds like me being willing to work on them during the churning Blades development process.

I think the main culprit behind the missing Kickstarter hacks is that the game itself was in development for so long. It wasn't officially done until relatively recently (when the KS was, by now, a few years ago). So during that time Harper was busy developing the game rather than cracking the whip on his friends, and during that time those designers (who themselves are busy people with their own stuff going on) weren't necessarily focused on a hack project for a game that wasn't done yet, which kept receding into the past the further we got from the KS campaign.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Making promises on something that doesn’t exist yet seems like a dumb idea, but that’s basically Kickstarter’s MO, so meh.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Just saw Hack the Planet, looks fantastic as a cyberpunk hack of BitD but I missed the kickstarter and there's no way to buy even the beta at this stage :smith:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

quote:

Will this project be on Backerkit or Pledgemanger?
No. We do not use either service. We mark down our projects and ensure backers get the product first as a reward for their increased risk and faith. After the Kickstarter project is complete the budget is complete and people can order the product when it is complete. Folks outside of the U.S will be able to order from Samjokopublishing.com when it is available. U.S residents will be able to order from Indie Press Revolution.

Yeah that's a shame. Does look interesting. The art looks great, little wary of it being by the same people as the Veil but I'm cautiously optimistic. Estimated delivery is Jan 2019, so we're way out on this project. And sounds like they have a lot of work left to do based on the updates I skimmed. So I wouldn't be surprised by a decent delay (but this isn't also their first effort, so maybe not).

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 22, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What I want most is a really good Shadowrun hack for Blades in the Dark. I'm one of those "the setting is cool but I just can't make myself care about the system" babies when it comes to Shadowrun, and the Blades in the Dark framework seems downright perfect for a more narrative take. I know someone's been working on one for a while but I have no idea if it's any good (reading over the latest draft of the playbooks suggests the writer is kinda committing the "bad PbtA hack" sin of writing way too many special moves without really understanding how the whole system works).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Harrow posted:

What I want most is a really good Shadowrun hack for Blades in the Dark. I'm one of those "the setting is cool but I just can't make myself care about the system" babies when it comes to Shadowrun, and the Blades in the Dark framework seems downright perfect for a more narrative take. I know someone's been working on one for a while but I have no idea if it's any good (reading over the latest draft of the playbooks suggests the writer is kinda committing the "bad PbtA hack" sin of writing way too many special moves without really understanding how the whole system works).

Runners in the Dark is now Karma in the Dark,

https://www.casskdesigns.com/

Serf
May 5, 2011

There's also Runners in the Shadows which may be hewing too close to Shadowrun's crunch for not much reward.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Does anyone have a link to the Karma in the Dark files?

The cassk website seems to not work

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Working fine here, the Drive link for the main rules is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUUqq-04qNdFbDvwZIfgObpzhjWpawS5/view

Characters: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17MmYAY_3rW-KTUG7U_X5ESpPtrYTQu29?usp=sharing

Teams: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TmJVPofp2zZCJEqH0Ny8K-5wQCqGogV0?usp=sharing

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Is there anything like this available for Band of Blades and/or can I contact the creator? I think my group might be up for a game in the near future and would like to test it out.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope. Band of Blades is still private beta only as far as I know. Only public stuff has been a couple con games/the YouTube videos. That said:

https://twitter.com/strasa/status/1000063364293275648

I imagine that's BoB related.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Someone did a simple 40K hack, Blades of the Inquisition. It's Dark Heresy based with one crew type, a page of conversion notes, and 8 playbooks.

https://plus.google.com/+RoosterEma/posts/S2xTFa4upM5

On a first read, it looks like a good hack.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also re: stretch goals, someone called out John on the G+ and he had this to say:

John Harper posted:

I can't force other authors to produce content. I can only control my own work.

I'm delivering 100% of the stretch goals that I have direct control over. They're taking a long time. If I could produce them any faster I absolutely would.

IF any of the authors of the other stretch goals bow out of their commitments, I will replace them with other authors so those stretch goals will be completed.

When I said that thing about "not an ironclad promise" I meant that those particular authors might not actually deliver on the work. I can't force them to. But if they don't, I will make good on the stretch goal in any way I can.

I hope that's clear.

Which is pretty much what we all figured anyways.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quite the call-out though. Feels like maybe he should ask the other authors to either commit to milestone dates or bow out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

mllaneza posted:

Someone did a simple 40K hack, Blades of the Inquisition. It's Dark Heresy based with one crew type, a page of conversion notes, and 8 playbooks.

https://plus.google.com/+RoosterEma/posts/S2xTFa4upM5

On a first read, it looks like a good hack.

This could be a terrible hack, and I'd still wanna play it.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Judging by Harper's posts, most (or all) third-party stretch goals were intended as unpaid work from the very beginning; thus, no financial relations with their authors, meaning no hard obligations or supervision. So, the situation right now now is kinda sorta a logical outcome.

I don't know, it just sounds terribly counter-intuitive to me to tie their unlocking to the financial progress of the crowdfunding campaign - and then make it so that the extra funds totally do not count for the creators themselves. (Also, it's pretty crappy that this small yet important detail has been quietly kept under the rug until now).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Foglet posted:

Judging by Harper's posts, most (or all) third-party stretch goals were intended as unpaid work from the very beginning; thus, no financial relations with their authors, meaning no hard obligations or supervision. So, the situation right now now is kinda sorta a logical outcome.

I don't know, it just sounds terribly counter-intuitive to me to tie their unlocking to the financial progress of the crowdfunding campaign - and then make it so that the extra funds totally do not count for the creators themselves. (Also, it's pretty crappy that this small yet important detail has been quietly kept under the rug until now).

Not compensating writers is bullshit.

Yeeeeeeeah. If I was ever dumb enough to take on actually unpaid work (rather than writing stretch goals then not getting paid because the creator didn't bother fulfilling his kickstarter obligations), I'd totally not give a gently caress about fulfilling until I got bored enough that nothing better presented itself. I'm talking "right, all my socks are paired, I've cleaned the attic, learned Swahili... might as well do that unpaid crap". And even then it's fifty-fifty.

I wonder if the writers had some expectation of recompense post-release? If they signed up knowing they'd get gently caress-all then they're idiots.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

Not compensating writers is bullshit.

Yeeeeeeeah. If I was ever dumb enough to take on actually unpaid work (rather than writing stretch goals then not getting paid because the creator didn't bother fulfilling his kickstarter obligations), I'd totally not give a gently caress about fulfilling until I got bored enough that nothing better presented itself. I'm talking "right, all my socks are paired, I've cleaned the attic, learned Swahili... might as well do that unpaid crap". And even then it's fifty-fifty.

I wonder if the writers had some expectation of recompense post-release? If they signed up knowing they'd get gently caress-all then they're idiots.

The plan may have been to flesh them out into books in their own right and the sell them, like Scum and Villainy is doing, but they have to be done first for that, and like you said, unpaid motivation is pants.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Where is it saying it’s unpaid?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Where is it saying it’s unpaid?
See latest Kickstarter comments.

Benjamin Brown 3 days ago
So, to be clear, the stretch goals were going to be unpaid work from some pretty notable industry figures in exchange for ownership of their content and... exposure, I guess?

John Harper (Creator) 2 days ago
@Benjamin: Yes, that's very common. I've made stretch goals for several of those authors, also without payment. Not for exposure, but because I was excited to work on the project and wanted to support it with my efforts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Foglet posted:

John Harper (Creator) 2 days ago
@Benjamin: Yes, that's very common. I've made stretch goals for several of those authors, also without payment. Not for exposure, but because I was excited to work on the project and wanted to support it with my efforts.

gently caress that poo poo, that's completely inexcusable. The dude pulled at least $162000 after Kickstater's cut, he can drat well afford to pay contributing authors a reasonable rate.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 28, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Support it with his efforts? idgi

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm not sure why in an industry that's spent years being functionally a hobby for a significant proportion of it, people are surprised or shocked that it's partly a hobby.

Subjunctive posted:

Support it with his efforts? idgi

He liked the games other people made so he wrote stuff for them for free. He's asked other people, several of whom he's done so before, to do the same for him.

This is what a hobbyist industry looks like. Look at how internet artists, even ones who work for commission, draw fanart or bonus works of each other's characters because they like the design.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spectralent posted:

He liked the games other people made so he wrote stuff for them for free. He's asked other people, several of whom he's done so before, to do the same for him.

Ah, I missed the other-games context, thanks.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Every time I sit down to make a new game, I think of poo poo like this and wonder why I bother.

gently caress this industry.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
I also like the "IF any of the authors of the other stretch goals bow out of their commitments, I will replace them with other authors so those stretch goals will be completed" part; I presume the replacement will be based on the same unpaid principle, keeping the full potential for the story to repeat (otherwise, if he means he will pay the new authors, why not just pay the ones he has?)

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Foglet posted:

I also like the "IF any of the authors of the other stretch goals bow out of their commitments, I will replace them with other authors so those stretch goals will be completed" part; I presume the replacement will be based on the same unpaid principle, keeping the full potential for the story to repeat (otherwise, if he means he will pay the new authors, why not just pay the ones he has?)

And, wait, if he can just swap out authors for the stretch goals, doesn't that put the lie to the idea they're being compensated with full rights to their work instead of money? A bunch of hacks is right.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If they're not getting paid then why were they stretch goals?

It's all super lovely tbh. You'd think an indie dev would know how hard it is to make money in the industry and pay his godamn writers but there we go.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
There's been a couple of replies on G+, I think it makes sense to quote them here in their entirety.

John Harper posted:

As I said on the KS comments, this kind of trade of work among designers was very common on RPG kickstarters. I did work for Dungeon World, Undying, and some other KS projects without pay. My friends volunteered to make stuff for my project, so I said yes. Putting that kind of extra content up as a stretch goal was the default method for KS projects in my circle at the time.

Obviously, it's not ideal and could have been communicated better, but it was so common and there hadn't been any backlash to it, so no one thought to lay it out explicitly.

I'm totally willing to pay stretch goal authors if that will help them put the work on the top of their queue. I have zero problem doing that, even though that wasn't the original deal.

I just want the creators to make the things they want to make and for the backers to get the stretch goals. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Stras Acimovic posted:

Lex. A couple of things.

"That’s why we have one stretch goal three years after funding."

That's not why.

For one, the game itself took several years to come out (the final version was almost march of last year). If you've tried writing a 360 page book you'll understand how much effort it takes to put out something of that magnitude. The fact that John pulled it off in two years while doing all his own art is impressive. The fact that he hasn't gotten a second one out is not shocking to me at all now that I've been through that crucible.

Some of the hackers/strech-goal-writers were free as soon as the KS ended, but for many (and I'm in the mix) there was a huge pause as the rules kept changing regularly, and folks took a step back till the game finalized. I know at least 3 hacks that didn't go for any sort of forward motion in that time (Coneycatchers forex had a playable demo with the first ruleset, the one with rolled effect ... you can see the amount of changes that would be needed to catch it up).

In two years that it took for rules to settle, I know two stretch-goal authors that have had kids, some that have been through grad school, and many that have pressing jobs and other commitments that have cropped up. The thing about big projects is that they take time. And priorities and life situations change meaning someone that thought they could just whip off a quick hack just can't at this moment.

So just to wrap back—"just over a year since final rules release, folks haven't managed to write a full book" doesn't sound quite as dramatic.

Two—for many of us we thought we'd smash out a couple quick sheets and that was the end of our commitment. ... ... ... eyes that 360 page pdf_ I'm not sure anyone was ready for what hacking this entails any more than PbtA authors suspect the amount of work a full game takes.

Three—yeah John didn't pay me to do goals for him out of his KS budget. It's true! I was going to do them anyway because I was excited. I wasn't offered a chance to "work for exposure" I volunteered to help him out at the time.

I know this is going to sound weird, but a lot of us indie authors do this for each other's projects. We want to see the project succeed and we volunteer some time to help that.

He doesn't own the material I've written. He has however repeatedly helped with layout, coaching, playtests, support, hype, etc. And doing the goals has actually gotten us a lot of support—the first product has paid for it's own art and layout. We'll see how the second does.

SO. You're not super wrong to ask for updates imo. I do speak to a lot of the authors on the regular for other reasons, and I know most of the projects are in motion in one way or another (there's about 3 I know nothing about, the rest I'm not terribly worried). But asking for some ironclad schedule, or demanding things be finished is probably not going to happen. Not on this project, and not on other KSes.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Well they can gently caress themselves with rusty spikes.

The reason nobody's lashed back about it before now is because nobody knew that these idiots were working without contracts and without compensation. And it may be common among a certain subset of indie authors, but it really shouldn't be and by their efforts they are loving the rest of us — writers who cannot afford to waste time and effort without compensation. You just know that if Person A volunteers to write a stretch goal for nothing and Person B says "Sure, I'll do it for $X" then Person B ain't getting a look in. All because Person B has a normal attitude towards work. Must be lovely to have the time and energy and financial security to spunk out thousands of words for no recompense.

This is a fundamentally toxic attitude to have. It's why it's so hard for indie game designers who aren't willing to work for free have such a hard time getting known (and thus getting sales). It's also part of why games are so cheap — nobody's going to pay a writer a competitive rate when so many of these fucks are willing to work for free. This is the indie equivalent of established games paying poo poo: they don't have to pay more than 1c a word when they've a pool of fans desperate for work for the love of seeing their name on a product (and the fan-authority that comes with that) and wouldn't know a competitive word rate if it bit them on the arse.

If you can pay your writers, do. If you can't, don't offer their work as rewards. And don't ever pretend that doing work for free is normal, because when you do you gently caress over those of us who need money for little luxuries like rent and food. Take your bougie hipster attitude towards real work and gently caress off you worthless bastards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reading John’s post, it sounds a bit like he realizes that the industry has moved on from that practice. I might be interpreting it too charitably, though.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
To be fair, I see it as less like "make it for us so that we''ll be able to sell it as ours" and more like "make it for yourself so that you're able to sell it as yours", the difference being that the latter has much less of a "do a part of our work for exposure" undertone. But yeah, all the "that's just how we rolled back then in the darkest ages of 2015" and "please don't demand schedules or obligations to finish things from Kickstarter projects" noise sounds awfully... unprofessional (yeah, I'm aware of the irony, hobbyist industry and all).

A person in the comments - an FitD author, no idea whether it's for one of the stretch goals - is saying:

quote:

I think some expectations for KS TTRPGs are set by Kevin Crawford. He recently stated that some of his productivity is because he uses a simple and well established game system, OSR.
I just wanted to say my expectations have recently been set by Legacy 2. That's an example of doing things right which will very likely bring me back as a return customer. While I like Blades a great lot as a product, to the extent of buying a premium hardcover, Harper has been making me less willing to commit to another crowdfunding of his.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I totally get how waiting for two years (and getting no money out of it) would lead to serious delays in any follow-up material, but either way John's at fault for what happened. Hopefully the people who backed for particular stretch goals will get something close to what they wanted.

Speaking of, has there been any updates on the final release of Scum and Villainy?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yes, actually:

https://twitter.com/EvilHatOfficial/status/1000756851095433217

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm pretty confused here. If the stretch goal money wasn't being paid to the authors to produce material, where was it going? What was the point of them being stretch goals? If the person was going to work for free anyways, why add the extra money requirement? Seems like a real backwards rear end thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Serf posted:

I'm pretty confused here. If the stretch goal money wasn't being paid to the authors to produce material, where was it going? What was the point of them being stretch goals? If the person was going to work for free anyways, why add the extra money requirement? Seems like a real backwards rear end thing to do.

A Google+ commenter posted:

That's not how Kickstarter works. You don't pay for a service, and unlocking stretch goals does not pay for the content of those stretch goals.
Yeah, no idea here either.