Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It shows through pretty clearly, especially if you have large cracks from putting it on thickly. You'll want to put down a dark brown or something over the base first.

Well I was more thinking of it showing through intentionally. For like a magic effect or lava etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Luminaflare posted:

Well I was more thinking of it showing through intentionally. For like a magic effect or lava etc

You can do that. I recommend looking for a crackle paint that's already the color you want.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my recent hams. Figuring out this new phone camera but these'll do.

Free Company Militia, the Altdorf Alehounds (Talabheim Tappers?):

Marshall Dietrich Donnerschlag:

Tartaros Terminators:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I love that banner and may just have to steal the idea if I ever get around to painting up another unit for my DOW.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It took way too long but I finished Steelheart's Champions.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Electric Hobo posted:

It took way too long but I finished Steelheart's Champions.

Oh man, I love that color scheme. If I ever get around to playing Shadespire I'm totally going to rip that off. :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh man, I love that color scheme. If I ever get around to playing Shadespire I'm totally going to rip that off. :)
Just play the game, it's super great!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Next X-Wing template test. Engraving the pattern instead of just masking it off looks so much better. The actual depth really makes it pop.

Currently i'm looking at what gold to actually use but not all behave the same one backside of a clear piece as the front. Most Acrylics will look pretty similar but for example the edding metal lacquer pens produce a very nice and shiny finish on small surfaces but look quite crummy when you view the "underside" through the acrylic.

I've heard good things about Vallejo Liquid Gold but since most people tend to be only concerned with the top side finish i i couldn't find any info on how they perform for this application. if someone who owns a bottle wants to do me a favour, could you brush some on a piece of transparent acrylic and report how the backside comes out?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Has anyone used crackle paint (like GW or vallejo's) on figures for cracking and peeling paint? If yes, how'd it go and how does it respond to being painted over? Looking back at 28mm figures it looks potentially interesting but also easy to gently caress up given the thickness.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Why does taking a picture make my models look way worse than real life. Anyway how'd I do?

Do the eyes look like poo poo

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 24, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Models should never be viewed up close and in perfect even light. It is unnatural, a fiction that brings only pain and misery.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Necro gangs from our little league. Orlocks are mine, Escher are Slandibles. Other 2 are not SA posters but we like them anyways.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Models should never be viewed up close and in perfect even light. It is unnatural, a fiction that brings only pain and misery.

Well are the eyes ok?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

Well are the eyes ok?

Yeah they're okay.

The flowers are nice. Shame the horses are going to trample them. War is hell.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm usually over in the mainstream modeling thread, and do big stuff, military kits and pop-culture garage-kits. I did get my hand on some minis for free though recently, and I thought I'd try my hand at the small stuff. I've really admired all the amazing stuff in this thread, so I thought I'd try my hand and have some fun.

Right off the bat there was one of those pre-painted minis from D&D in the stash I got, so I thought I'd mess with that first. Nothing much, just some tweaks to punch up the shadows and worn metal effects, and add some grease and grime effects to the mech bits. Thought I'd start off easy before I dove into a paint from scratch.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished a couple of duders recently.

Raven Guard Contemptor:

30th Anniversary Primaris Veteran Sergeant:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is it normal to think my models look like rear end

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I think my models look like rear end until they're like 90% done, so...

I dunno, man. You're painting really tiny poo poo, but I think it all looks good.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Sex Cannon posted:

I think my models look like rear end until they're like 90% done, so...

I dunno, man. You're painting really tiny poo poo, but I think it all looks good.

Most of what I paint is 28mm nowadays and I feel they could look way better

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished a couple of duders recently.

Raven Guard Contemptor:

30th Anniversary Primaris Veteran Sergeant:

Sweet birb bros

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

spectralent posted:

Has anyone used crackle paint (like GW or vallejo's) on figures for cracking and peeling paint? If yes, how'd it go and how does it respond to being painted over? Looking back at 28mm figures it looks potentially interesting but also easy to gently caress up given the thickness.

I believe ijit (I think that's how it's spelled?) posted some FW Titan with crackle paint and it looked really cool.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

PaintVagrant posted:

Necro gangs from our little league. Orlocks are mine, Escher are Slandibles. Other 2 are not SA posters but we like them anyways.

Those minis are great and the scenery they're standing on is also awesome! :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

PaintVagrant posted:

Those minis are great and the scenery they're standing on is also awesome! :)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Phi230 posted:

Most of what I paint is 28mm nowadays and I feel they could look way better

I think this is just the eternal curse of wanting to do better and improve. I do the same poo poo

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Anyone know of a black paint that’s a close match to Forgeworld’s Corvus Black, soon to disappear forever? I’ve seen people say Scalecolor Decay Black is close, but that looks like, uh, an actual black, whereas Corvus Back is a very deep grey with slight blue tones.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
This might sound lazy, but my hands are big and not quite surgeon-steady:

Would a grey grease pencil for edge highlighting on black be a bad idea? Also, uh, do those exist?

I've always wondered if there are alternatives to a brush. Something where a bit of added pressure won't throw my lines off.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TheBigAristotle posted:

This might sound lazy, but my hands are big and not quite surgeon-steady:

Would a grey grease pencil for edge highlighting on black be a bad idea? Also, uh, do those exist?

I've always wondered if there are alternatives to a brush. Something where a bit of added pressure won't throw my lines off.

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve seen other people swear by watercolor pencils for edge highlighting. They’re softer than regular coloured pencils. Should be able to pick up a pack of ten at any art supply store for cheap.

(Have to seal it afterwards, but what else is new?)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 25, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Anyone know of a black paint that’s a close match to Forgeworld’s Corvus Black, soon to disappear forever? I’ve seen people say Scalecolor Decay Black is close, but that looks like, uh, an actual black, whereas Corvus Back is a very deep grey with slight blue tones.

Vallejo black grey is reasonably close

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Crossposting my lame dudes.

Neurolimal posted:

Tossing in my humble project's current state to the pic pile:

As you can see I'm still terrible at taking photos and the black ink reflecting light doesn't help (do think I'm improving somewhat, though). Just trust me when I say they look significantly less messy IRL.

Just as with the inceptor's they're unfinished until they're based (none of them are glued in), mainly lots of cleanup and some unfinished detail on the ammo and backpack.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stephenls posted:

If you're willing to try artists paints, Golden Acrylics makes a lighter black color called Bone Black. If you want something even lighter and bluer than that, try Paynes Gray.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I guess Vallejo Black Grey is the right value, but it’s also kinda neutral- to-warm while Corvus Black has blue in it.

I wonder if I could approximate Corvus Black by picking up a bottle of Black Grey and adding a dollop or two of Night Haunter from that artisan pigment set I bought and never use.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stephenls posted:

I wonder if I could approximate Corvus Black by picking up a bottle of Black Grey and adding a dollop or two of Night Haunter from that artisan pigment set I bought and never use.

Yep, this would work.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just built myself a light box and decided to take some WIP shots of my Khorney blood boys (The Rainbow Coalition of Murder) to test it out.

I've already posted these two but I added more blood to make Kratos markings on the albino boy, which I think looks dope. They are now done aside from bases.

Here's the rest of the gang. Still need to do weapons and armor and touch up some spots on the skin with wash, but I'm super happy with how the skin tones came out.

C&C on the paint jobs and photos are welcome!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost

Two Beans posted:

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch in Terminator Armour

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

C&C on the paint jobs and photos are welcome!

Photos look great! I think you could do more to pick out the scars on the 1st 2 models. Otherwise, great stuff!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished the last duder from the Ten Thunders pack I had. Got to really play with my Sotar for the first time. This thing is SO much nicer than my Neo. I love it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 26, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Primer question.

I have some boardgame minis to paint and I need something that gives more resistance to wear & tear, especially if the minis are glorified pawns that will be stored loose, not in separate foam-lined inserts or anything.
I need a spray can primer that "bites into" plastic for better adhesion and that's able to give me a very thin coat. Anything you can recommend? A good matte varnish with no frosting would be nice as well.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 26, 2018

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Primer question.

I have some boardgame minis to paint and I need something that gives more resistance to waer & tear, especially if the minis are glorified pawns that will be stored loose, not in separate foam-lined inserts or anything.
I need a spray can primer that "bites into" plastic for better adhesion and that's able to give me a very thin coat. Anything you can recommend? A good matte varnish with no frosting would be nice as well.

I preferred Krylon ColorMaster Ultra Flat for what you're describing. It bites into the plastic, as you say, and the finish is great.

https://www.michaels.com/krylon-col...+primer&start=1

For spray can varnish I'm not sure, but I've heard the new one from GW is good, and people also swear by Testor's Dullcote.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shadin posted:

For spray can varnish I'm not sure, but I've heard the new one from GW is good, and people also swear by Testor's Dullcote.

Yeah it's good stuff. The biggest thing is making sure your environment is good for spraying. Low humidity in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Shadin posted:

I preferred Krylon ColorMaster Ultra Flat for what you're describing. It bites into the plastic, as you say, and the finish is great.

https://www.michaels.com/krylon-col...+primer&start=1

gently caress. As I feared, Krylon is not sold here in Poland. Any alternatives available in the EU? Maybe it has a differend brand name here (I know Testor's is sold here as Model Master)?