Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Regarding the whole Star Wars fatigue thing, I’m there too. And I think it’s because the yearly release schedule doesn’t suit the franchise. Whatever the end product was, there was like twenty years between the Original and Prequel trilogies. And in them, usually around two-to-three years between each installment. Disney’s attempt to build a yearly model feels annoying in a way that it isn’t with the MCU because that poo poo was in Marvel’s DNA from jump street. The yearly release and crossovers are the whole gimmick. You can’t just jam Star Wars into that mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There were maybe 12 people at Solo last night. Granted it was at 10 pm and not 8 pm but it was the lowest I've ever seen at a Thursday preview show for one of the major franchises.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It might be as bad as Star Wars (1977).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

There were maybe 12 people at Solo last night. Granted it was at 10 pm and not 8 pm but it was the lowest I've ever seen at a Thursday preview show for one of the major franchises.

Seems like there's a chance that when you watch this movie you will end up...

Solo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

There were about 30 people in my theater. It was the same cinema, at the same time (7:30 on Thursday) that I saw TFA and TLJ, and the theater was completely sold out both of those times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grendels Dad posted:

Seems like there's a chance that when you watch this movie you will end up...

Solo.

A chance, yes. Just never tell me the odds.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I've seen a lot of people want Daniel Logan (the kid who played child Fett) back as the character for the stand alone movie, but my issue that he basically looks like a Maori version of Denny from The Room and has about the same amount of overall acting experience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the projection for Solo? Maybe $200m domestic and over/under $600m or so worldwide? Justice League numbers, maybe. It's already flopped outright in China.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the projection for Solo? Maybe $200m domestic and over/under $600m or so worldwide? Justice League numbers, maybe. It's already flopped outright in China.

I've said it again and again but in China they should have called it Han: A Solo Dynasty

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Tars Tarkas posted:

When I went to see Deadpool at 10 PM last night, the late showing of Solo was sold out and had a line of people going all the way down the lobby. There were also huge streams of people coming out of the last showing.

Admittedly I live in a town where there isn't much to do but get plastered or go to the movies and the theater I went to lets you do both :shrug:

e: I only saw one cosplayer---coming out of the bathroom from the last showing was a guy dressed as a rebel Hoth trooper(!) with the brown cap, ski goggles and white tunic.... funny choice

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 25, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I went to see it last night at the Arizona Mills Harkins IMAX, which holds about 500-some people, and that poo poo was 100% sold out. And the late show was, as well.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

They downgraded to $130-$150 million from like $150-$180 million initial projection. I'm personally hoping Deadpool 2 goes #1 again and Star Wars as we know it, dies until they expand to other sub genres like road trip movie, college sex comedy, dance off to prevent shut down of the Jedi Academy, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course Deadpool 2 will be #1 again next week. It'll be the one that has the legs while Solo will have the big drop-off. It'll probably be lucky to make it to $200m domestic, actually.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As much as I love Star Wars doing a movie a year is a big mistake. They're better as spaced out event movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course Deadpool 2 will be #1 again next week. It'll be the one that has the legs while Solo will have the big drop-off. It'll probably be lucky to make it to $200m domestic, actually.

it is absolutely hilarious to me that weeks after news came out that Disney was in talks to buy 20th Century Fox the people at Fox moved Deadpool up in front of Solo and their gambit may have worked so well that their future boss' movie is about to take a shot hard to the knees

the X-Force movie will begin with Ryan Reynolds (not Deadpool) apologizing for loving over Solo while someone in a Mickey Mouse costume holds a gun to his head

edit: all of this talk about Comcast potentially swooping in to outbid Disney was started by a Deadpool producer who feared for their job if Disney bought Fox. like a Parent Trap fake note situation

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Henker posted:

I've seen a lot of people want Daniel Logan (the kid who played child Fett) back as the character for the stand alone movie, but my issue that he basically looks like a Maori version of Denny from The Room and has about the same amount of overall acting experience.

The Boba Fett movie needs to pull a Dredd and just have his helmet on the entire time. You can have a stunt guy in the suit and Temuera Morrison do the voice.

Just loving adapt Twin Engines of Destruction if they insist on doing this film. Fett escapes the sarlaac, finds out some punk kid has been using his name to score bounties. Fett forces Dengar to help him track the kid down, poo poo happens, confrontation ensues. There’s your Boba Fett movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

it is absolutely hilarious to me that weeks after news came out that Disney was in talks to buy 20th Century Fox the people at Fox moved Deadpool up in front of Solo and their gambit may have worked so well that their future boss' movie is about to take a shot hard to the knees

Apparently Solo cost more than all three of the other Star Wars movies since TFA. Obviously those reshoots didn't come cheap.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up falling short of Rampage or Ready Player One (I concede the former might be going too far).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf's expert financial opinions are my favourite thing about new Star Wars releases.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

e: I only saw one cosplayer---coming out of the bathroom from the last showing was a guy dressed as a rebel Hoth trooper(!) with the brown cap, ski goggles and white tunic.... funny choice

Actually when I went to see Solo, of the 30 or so people in the audience, there was only one cosplayer... and she was dressed up in a Star Trek outfit.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just loving adapt Twin Engines of Destruction if they insist on doing this film. Fett escapes the sarlaac, finds out some punk kid has been using his name to score bounties. Fett forces Dengar to help him track the kid down, poo poo happens, confrontation ensues. There’s your Boba Fett movie.

They should adapt the Boba Fett comic where the Hutt eats his target.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Wheat Loaf's expert financial opinions are my favourite thing about new Star Wars releases.

Oh, I'm utterly incompetent, but I'm bound to get it right one of these days.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I propose that the Boba Fett movie is about some shlub finding the armor in the desert and getting trapped inside it when he puts it on. After dealing with the business partners of former bounties he comes into his own as the new Fett, until -swerve- it turns out this is a prequel to Return of the Jedi.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Slave I was actually a van that Boba Fett lived in down by the river.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I love that picture so much. Everything about it is perfect.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

enough with the tobias funke cameos disney

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

They should adapt the Boba Fett comic where the Hutt eats his target.

Bring in the Hutt Jedi from one of the comics.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/1000129078995836928

The replies are wonderful

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 26, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Revenge of the Sith lower than PM, SMH

Wait was is the point of that tweet anyway.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 26, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol humanity is so loving stupid

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Revenge of the Sith lower than PM, SMH

Taintrunner posted:

lol humanity is so loving stupid

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I know it’s just a list by release date, but why

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because it's a list of Star Wars films

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Look at the comments

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

to ridicule nerds

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That list is missing the holiday special and the two Ewok movies.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

to ridicule nerds

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1000154942244511744

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ruddiger posted:

That list is missing the holiday special and the two Ewok movies.

The Clone Wars was released in theaters! And is canon! I swear to you that actually happened!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The Clone Wars was released in theaters! And is canon! I swear to you that actually happened!

I knew there was a theatrical CGI film but I thought it was Rebels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said how much, if any, of Solo was originally Lord & Miller's version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Have they said how much, if any, of Solo was originally Lord & Miller's version?

Howard estimated that he re-shot about 70 percent of the movie.