Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Kys too, maybe you and wicka can get a package deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
GP2BF: So Monaco isn't really about the race, is it?
Me: How do you mean?
GP2BF: Well, no one seems to care, and it's processional anyway. But it's MONACO.
Me: It's like you're starting to get F1.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

F1 generally is more interesting with the politics of racing than the actual racing.

Although most races this season have been good due to circumstances.

And its still not the worst period i've experience the late 90s early 00s was bloody awful and really was watch until the first corner and you know whos winning racing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAIWfiM-uo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

GP2BF: So Monaco isn't really about the race, is it?
Me: How do you mean?
GP2BF: Well, no one seems to care, and it's processional anyway. But it's MONACO.
Me: It's like you're starting to get F1.

im going to kick your boyfriend rear end

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DoctorGonzo posted:

im going to kick your boyfriend rear end

What if he made you a completo?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

im going to lick your boyfriend rear end

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What if he made you a completo?

Ok

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Monaco is also really good because everyone's super relaxed so it's where a lot of stuff can leak out.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I didnt say that

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Monaco is also really good because everyone's super relaxed so it's where a lot of stuff can leak out.

Why do you call your butthole Monaco??

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoctorGonzo posted:

I didnt say that

idk man, he quoted it and it's right there. looks like you said it imo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lmao DC scared shitless by Carlos Sainz (the acomplished one)

https://streamable.com/90zxa

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Why do you call your butthole Monaco??

Wealthy people seem to enjoy it

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

My first record was Morris Minor & The Majors - Stutter rap

My first cassette was, I think, Roxette - She's got the look

My first CD was Michael Jackson - Dangerous

I don't own a watch, I just use my Samsung Galaxy phone to tell the time.

Monaco owns

Alonso is the best

Ferrari are poo poo

Right, I think that covers everything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freeranger posted:

Monaco owns

Alonso is the best

Ferrari are poo poo

And completos?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIe-E0Gk6_w

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The first record I ever bought was this http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Coming_Out_of_Their_Shells

I was 6 and I bought the casette at Ames (it was like a knock-off K-Mart) but I don't remember a single thing about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

New Chvrches album out, kids

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freeranger posted:

Monaco owns

Alonso is the best

Ferrari are poo poo

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Tsaedje posted:

It's really weird how many people in this thread don't 'get' Monaco and think it's bad.

im permabanned poster PooisShamilton58. i first started reading The Worst Thread when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "Bring Back V12s" and "If you know what i mean fellas" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of The Worst Thread humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" Monaco to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's funny because it's true

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

freeranger posted:

Good choice!

Meanwhile, completo ingredients procured :3:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Good choice!

Meanwhile, completo ingredients procured :3:

Bun - check
Hot dog - check
Avocado - check
Medically unsafe amount of jizz - check

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Bun - check
Hot dog - check
Avocado - check
Medically unsafe amount of jizz - check

Three day weekend, here we go!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

im permabanned poster PooisShamilton58. i first started reading The Worst Thread when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "Bring Back V12s" and "If you know what i mean fellas" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of The Worst Thread humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" Monaco to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Sir, the question was, "Is this your handwriting?"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

lmao

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Basticle posted:

The first record I ever bought was this http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Coming_Out_of_Their_Shells

I was 6 and I bought the casette at Ames (it was like a knock-off K-Mart) but I don't remember a single thing about it.

Lol that was the second record I bought with my allowance. This was the first one:

This was the third one:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

McGuinty posted:

This was the third one:

That was my first, I think. I think this: was my second

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Extremely loving good article:

quote:

Why Liberty Media’s street race agenda will give F1 a legacy problem
RacingLines Posted on
23rd May 2018, 12:00 | Dieter Rencken

The world championship visits its original street circuit this weekend for the sixth of 2018. The Monaco Grand Prix is the third race of the year to take place on a temporary track, and more could follow in the 2019 F1 season as Liberty Media is actively courting Miami.

But with a host of similar street tracks under consideration for future races F1 risks failing to establish itself in new venues. @DieterRencken analyses the danger of turning away from permanent circuits.

“Olympic legacy is the result of a vision. It encompasses all the tangible and intangible long-term benefits initiated or accelerated by the hosting of the Olympic Games/sport events for people, cities/territories and the Olympic Movement”- definition of the Olympic Legacy as outlined in IOC guidelines.
In assessing bids from prospective host cities, International Olympic Committee evaluates the legacy the Games would leave long after athletes have departed and life returns to normal for citizens, many of whose lives would have been disrupted for considerable periods. A similar process is followed by FIFA in awarding the World Cup to a country/region. The IOC’s seven primary evaluation elements are:

Organised sports development
Economic value and brand equity
Social development through sport
Human skills, networks, and innovation
Culture and creative development
Environment enhancement
Urban development

Formula 1 – now under the aegis of Liberty Media, owner of Formula One Management – prides itself on being up there with these global sporting spectacles and, in the eyes of some, above them on account of its continuous sporting block. Yet when it comes to evaluating prospective grands prix F1 seemingly concerns itself with just two elements: How much money it is able to squeeze out of prospective promoters, and how quickly.

Where permanent circuits are concerned, legacy programmes should be simple to implement: the circuits exist, therefore club and national motorsport events naturally follow suit, and track days and advanced driver courses are organised. In time, other sporting genres such as cycling and jogging – plus golf in some instances – invariably follows suit, as do music festivals and other large-crowd events.

Would national racing exist in Malaysia without the Sepang circuit? Ditto China with Shanghai’s mammoth facility, or India without the ill-fated Buddh Circuit? Probably yes, but there is no doubt that the venues left lasting impressions on hordes of youngsters, enthralled by the sights of grand prix cars racing on their “soil”; inspired by racing on the same patch of Tarmac as Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton, and others.

However street circuits – even those of a semi-permanent nature such as Melbourne Albert Park and Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, situated on Île Notre-Dame in the Saint Lawrence Seaway – by their nature leave no such legacies. How can they if the only circuit in town gets ripped down on Monday – at enormous cost, mind – and stored until next year.
Baku provides a perfect example: After one weekend per year, indulged in for not less than $100m per event for the benefit of 30,000 live punters and a TV audience, motorsport is all but forgotten in a country whose fortune rests largely on fossil fuels.

Thus F1’s sudden stampede to woo street circuits raises serious questions about the sport’s legacy in the hands of Liberty Media, particularly where minimal existing motorsport facilities currently exist, to wit a country such as Vietnam.

True in Germany, where there is talk of a street grand prix in Berlin, numerous permanent circuits exist, although a case could certainly be made that the money could be better spent on improving Hockenheim or, indeed, reducing hosting fees. As revealed here (https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/11/hockenheim-wants-new-risk-free-german-gp-deal-with-nurburgring/) last week, F1 is likely to lose both venues unless the German Grand Prix is sustainable in the long run. Sustainability forms part of the IOC’s legacy programme.

Take Copenhagen: Denmark currently has one permanent circuit, the 2.3-kilometre Jyllandsringen, situated approximately three hours west of the capital – whether by road or ferry. Rather than construct a new, F1-compliant circuit on the outskirts of Copenhagen, the city’s fathers are discussing a street course in order to cash in on the appeal of Kevin Magnussen. When the Dane eventually retires, what then? All gone…

Apart from the aforementioned prospects, there is/has been talk of street races in Miami, Madrid, Cape Town, Beijing, Seoul and on the Chinese island of Hainan. That makes nine prospective events. Of course, not all will come off – talk is cheap, particularly in F1 – but let us assume half have reasonable chances of a success, and a third of the nine make the cut.
That adds three street races to the current roster, which already includes Melbourne, Baku, Monaco, Montreal, Singapore and Sochi, all held on non-permanent circuits, so nine in total (and counting). With the calendar seemingly stabilizing at 21-22 races in the foreseeable future, that would represent over 40 per cent of grands prix held on street circuits – well up from the 28 per cent.

Twenty years ago, before F1 struck its commercial rights deal and thus exchanged sustainability for its 100-year deal with Bernie Ecclestone for a meagre $300m, the street race complement was three – Melbourne, Monaco, and Montreal – in 16 races, or 18 per cent. Spot the trend? That trend is extremely disconcerting.

Fallacy one is that street circuits are cheaper to promote than grands prix on permanent circuits. Only the naïve have been duped to believe on the basis that the tarmac already exists. For proof look no further than Baku (see above); for substantiation check out the 2017 annual report (PDF link) tabled by the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, which routinely loses AU$60m (£35m) annually per event, and last time $100m all in and has nothing to show for it come the Monday after the event…

By contrast, Silverstone and Hockenheim just about break even, and commence track day activities the day after. However, let’s stay with Australia: Sydney’s 2000 Olympic Stadium is currently being upgraded to accommodate both rugby codes and cricket in addition to field and track activities, and will seat 75,000 under a retractable roof. That is the Olympic legacy.

Fallacy two is that street circuits offer better racing. Baku’s bumper-bashing bonanzas aside, its inaugural event was soporific in the extreme, matched in the boredom stakes by all editions of Valencia’s (thankfully) now-defunct race, and the sort of stuff served up by the Caesars Palace (Parking Lot) Grand Prix and, yes, Monaco on a dry Sunday.

Fallacy three is that street circuits attract bigger crowds and are more popular. Last time I looked Monaco battled to pull 45,000 spectators despite its allure, while Silverstone was filled to the rafters (120,000-plus) despite being situated well over two hours from London (in race day traffic). Baku and Sochi regularly have sparse stands, while in Valencia most fans seemed to be acquainted with each other, while Singapore has yet to sell out…

Of course, there are exceptions, but the fact of the matter is that street circuits generally accommodate fewer fans, while viewing tends to be an issue, whereas permanent circuits offer wider vistas. Equally, for city inhabitants, street events are an absolute bane unless individuals are F1 fans, with traffic and businesses being disrupted, often for weeks/months on end. That is no legacy.

Fallacy four is that street circuits are sustainable: Look no further than Formula E for proof. In its first season the nascent electric racing category, which planned to race in inner cities, listed 10 venues for its 11 races. These were: Beijing, Putra Jaya, Punta del Este, Buenos Aires, Miami, Long Beach, Monaco, Berlin, Moscow and a double-header in London.

Fast-forward to 2018, and any resemblance between calendars is coincidental: Hong Kong, Marrakesh, Santiago, Punta del Este, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Zurich and New York. True, Berlin and Punta del Este are common to both, but the latter is a last-minute substitute for Sao Paulo, while the former has an on-off-on history. Indeed, the event is contested on the grounds of the disused Tempelhof airport, so is not a street race.
Over the past four seasons, the series has visited around 15 circuits in its quest for a 10-venue calendar and had unsuccessful dalliances with Montreal, Brussels, and Moscow. Montreal illustrates the risk of street races particularly well: The original contract was approved by then-mayor Denis Coderre, who subsequently failed to secure a second mandate. His successor Valérie Plante immediately cancelled the race.

The event was widely criticized for its use of public funds and for its location in downtown Montreal, where it forced closure of city streets for a 2.75-km circuit catering for 250 bhp cars. Imagine the disruption and noise created by the construction of a full-length circuit complying with F1 safety standards. In the event, Montreal’s Formula E race attracted 45,000 spectators, of which over half were ‘freebies’.

FIA President Jean Todt put it succinctly during a recent media briefing. “We must simply understand how difficult it is to hold a race in a city. At the end of the day you have potentially a hundred cities that could host, who are willing to host, and then you have to select from 10 to 15. And at the moment we have the best cities hosting a Formula E race,” he said.

“Switzerland did not organise one race since ’55, since the tragic accident at Le Mans. They are so attracted with Formula E that they decided [to promote a race in Zürich]. But saying that, it’s sometimes very much linked to political situations, The mayor is deciding, you will have always the greens who are unhappy. So it makes it difficult.”

If it is “difficult” for Formula E to strike deals with cities despite its environmentally “green” image, silent cars, NextGen appeal and single-day formats, imagine the challenges facing F1 given its higher speeds, noisier cars, four-day programmes and ‘Excess’-All-Areas image.

True, Switzerland waived its ban on motor racing, but would it have done so for F1, with its vastly higher speeds and noise levels? Already there are suggestions Zürich’s city fathers will also pull the race after the inaugural event. Saliently, despite its Spanish roots – Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag is a former Spanish MEP – has been unsuccessful in wooing an Iberian city.
However, as outlined previously, the Circuit de Catalunya’s contract expires after next year’s race, with the owners, a consortium that includes the local government administration, the promoters are currently in negotiations to extend the deal.

Rumours of an F1 street race in Madrid are gathering pace, primarily due to the Catalan crisis: where until recently the region was largely autonomous, since its ill-fated declaration of independence it falls squarely under the aegis of Madrid.

So will F1 eventually decamp to Madrid? Already the mayor of Madrid, a committed socialist, has unveiled plans to ban cars from the city’s Gran Via – and diesel vehicles from the city centre – so is unlikely to enthusiastically embrace F1, particularly as her political ticket was the eradication of corruption, a dark cloud under which F1 still labours in political circles after recent scandals.

That said, let us play Devil’s Advocate: Liberty agrees terms with Madrid for a street race. The mayor is in favour and convinces the council: the deal is for five years. The lack of a grand prix at Circuit de Catalunya sees the circuit fall into a state of disrepair, and thus the circuit loses its F1 testing license – but continues with MotoGP, which is profitable on account of lower fees and larger crowds.

After five years Madrid experiences a change of mayor; the incoming administration is vehemently opposed to motorsport. Result: no Madrid round despite prior investments running to tens of millions to host the race; money that could have been better spent on upgrading Catalunya.
For precedents, look no further than Valencia, which blew tens of millions on its street race despite having an F1-compliant circuit within its borders, the ill-fated Mokpo (semi) street circuit in Korea, and Montreal’s Formula E event. Indeed, look at New Jersey, which thudded to a sudden halt despite having a calendar slot.

Now, though, F1 is punting Miami. Let us assume the city council grants approves the event, which is by no means a foregone conclusion given the antipathy of resident groups in areas through which the proposed layout threads. At this stage permission to negotiate with F1 has been granted to the city executive, no more – yet already changes have been forced upon the promoters’ planned track due to local political pressures.

The financial model – a risk-sharing deal between Formula One Management, promoter, and council – sets a precedent which other promoters would give their left arms to emulate, but is it sustainable? Above all, what legacy will the race leave, whether after one year, five years or ten? There are numerous circuits across the USA that could readily host a grand prix with few, if any, upgrades – so why F1’s fetish with street races?

Surely F1’s would be better served by its commercial rights holder if Liberty concentrated on ensuring the sustainability of its existing circuit base rather than taking the lead from Formula E on street races. Does Liberty wish to be remembered as the company that took F1’s money and ran, or as an ethical organisation that created a lasting legacy for the sport?

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/23/the-risk-to-f1-from-liberty-medias-push-for-more-street-circuits/

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

i aint gonna read all that , op

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/5/f1-archive-footage-in-focus.html

tl;dr - F1 has gotten the Brunswick archives, so pre-1981 material will soon be on F1 TV.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wirth1000 posted:

lmao DC scared shitless by Carlos Sainz (the acomplished one)

https://streamable.com/90zxa

papa sainz owns

Edward Mass posted:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/5/f1-archive-footage-in-focus.html

tl;dr - F1 has gotten the Brunswick archives, so pre-1981 material will soon be on F1 TV.

:flashfap:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Street races are dope, and while people like watching the same poo poo over and over I guess, it is cool and good to have a number of different venues pop up and years later drop off to keep things fresh.

Also lol at using the olympics as a shining example of ~*~LeGaCy~*~, the world is littered with abandoned buildings from that garbage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

She's a tight loving fit but I think she'll hold through the weekend

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GramCracker posted:

Kys too, maybe you and wicka can get a package deal

do not use kys or i will loving post endlessly at you

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I just got this video in my recommended videos again, which reminds me: how will grosjean make a fool of himself this weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9hOtchZD8

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

geonetix posted:

I just got this video in my recommended videos again, which reminds me: how will grosjean make a fool of himself this weekend?

By attending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Ouch