Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A workaround to represent XL Engines is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I finally beat it! This is a really good game, honestly my favorite game of 2018 so far. Not perfect, but pretty drat close.

I lost both Dekker and Glitch in the first half of the final mission :( It's a very poetic way for them to go, so I guess I can't be too sad. They saw the war through till the end.

I ended the campaign by DFAing Victoria's King Crab with my ancestral blackjack, piloted by my main charachter. This was a :master: way of ending it tbh

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Someone posted that there was a way to show on the battlemap all the movement spots where you would have a sight on an enemy? Anyone remember how to do that?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Someone posted that there was a way to show on the battlemap all the movement spots where you would have a sight on an enemy? Anyone remember how to do that?
If you right click on the enemy it restricts you to movements where you can shoot at it I think... maybe it's sight I forget. I did it by accident a few times before I started to do it on purpose.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

IAmThatIs posted:

I ended the campaign by DFAing Victoria's King Crab with my ancestral blackjack, piloted by my main charachter. This was a :master: way of ending it tbh
Nice!!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

FunkMonkey posted:

Link to this? I wouldn't mind using it.

Try this mod to nuke the difficulty bumps. https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/25

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Psion posted:

sometimes that's how the salvage situation goes, I think you should have to consider taking the money sometimes. Right now you really don't, even in a situation like that the potential gains in salvage rights are worth the cost of sometimes coming up short.

So, yeah, it's really weird to have your primary income generator being Yang basically teleporting parts into functioning mechs rather than, I dunno, getting paid actual money. Which means maybe there should be some way of rebalancing that but then you roll back around to the player looking at a contract and having to guess "salvage or money today" and I don't know how to make that choice interesting. And it's not worth doing any of it unless that question gets answered.

I think it'd help if you could find mech parts a bit more easily. I have so many 2/3 mechs that feel like I won't finish for hours and hours. I'm thirty hours in and I'm still mostly rocking the Vindicator, Blackjack and Shadow Hawk you have at the start. They're decent mechs so it's not so bad but it also kind of sucks.

Just some way to be like 'I want to find a JagerMech, where can I do that?'

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Psion posted:

sometimes that's how the salvage situation goes, I think you should have to consider taking the money sometimes. Right now you really don't, even in a situation like that the potential gains in salvage rights are worth the cost of sometimes coming up short.

So, yeah, it's really weird to have your primary income generator being Yang basically teleporting parts into functioning mechs rather than, I dunno, getting paid actual money. Which means maybe there should be some way of rebalancing that but then you roll back around to the player looking at a contract and having to guess "salvage or money today" and I don't know how to make that choice interesting. And it's not worth doing any of it unless that question gets answered.

Honestly I think the game does it better than either the tabletop systems for running a merc unit, or salvage in MW2/MW4: Mercs, at least. The regular payouts were bigger, sure, but salvage was still the moneymaker by far. In the first mercs tabletop rules especially, you basically have to get a decent amount of salvage to stay solvent over a long period, because your base pay is mostly based on salary and not the value of equipment you're bringing to the table. But...

...but in all those contexts you're getting literal millions for each mostly functional mech you bring in, so long as the engine is intact. A single mission with good salvage rights can easily pay out eight digits. The amount of money you can make from salvage is truly ludicrous.

Here, they scaled down what you could get from salvage, and it's still usually better than taking the money, but not by as much. And since the cost of weapons and equipment - and whole 'mechs, on the rare occasions they show up - seems to be roughly the same as on tabletop, your money doesn't go as far. Not so much that you're really ever in danger of insolvency, but enough that building up a huge warchest still takes time even if you're lucky.

Milky Moor posted:

I think it'd help if you could find mech parts a bit more easily. I have so many 2/3 mechs that feel like I won't finish for hours and hours. I'm thirty hours in and I'm still mostly rocking the Vindicator, Blackjack and Shadow Hawk you have at the start. They're decent mechs so it's not so bad but it also kind of sucks.

Just some way to be like 'I want to find a JagerMech, where can I do that?'

Highly developed planets do seem to have a higher chance of having complete mechs available for purchase, but be warned that complete mechs cost in the mid-high seven digits. Jagers do seem fairly common as the assassination target for 2/2.5* contracts so you could try that and hope the game doesn't screw you over.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Around the same time I started seeing assault salvage for sale, I saw a full Wolverine for sale for over 6 million C-bills. Even if you want to cry "Well clearly there must have been 10% price increase due to reputation penalty-" That's still a loving joke.

So series long complaints about "But you get sooooo much money!" is meaningless until you can sensibly spend it without needing to become so wealthy people cry about it first.

Oh Sumire, you think buying a second pool is frivolous? Every shred of lostech mechbay science on the Argo costs less than a loving Wolverine, when it comes to mercenary targeted price inflation.... No, no, that does not mean the answer is "Make the Argo more expensive" Sumire.

EDIT: So... let's see... 6.5 million for a Wolverine, from a place willing to sell me Battlemaster Salvage for 1.2 million.

Why do we still get people keep complaining it's the player who's the problem with the economy in this franchise? Oh no, if I put one of those together myself it would come with a free AC5! I'm getting away with highway robbery clearly.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 25, 2018

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Tried out the full inner sphere map mod and Jesus Christ it's dead set on giving you way too much downtime between contracts.

By default most contracts are on the other side of the inner sphere, but on top of that the travel times between the jump point and planet are way way higher than in the base game. I think there was a planet one jump from Galatea that takes almost over month to get to.

Which kinda becomes a problem because the number of contracts and difficulty becomes incredibly variable. So if you're starting out and you're only seeing 4-5 star contracts you're spending even more time jumping between systems while you get dinged for monthly expenses.

Fortunately most of this is editable. Hell some of these things would almost work as game mechanics of things like payouts/travel coverage were changed to match.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
I've also been pondering ways to use the hoard of partial salvage lying around, and think it would work better if it was a separate form of currency that you could trade at certain places to expedite rebuilding whole mechs.
Since there are already mechs in bad repair in the game I think having a quality system for your mechs might add some challenge and dampen the weight power curve. So instead of cleaning out the cockpit of a shoddy pirate assault and instantly refurbishing it into factory fresh mech ready for plusguns (like I did to a King Crab), that mech will remain in poo poo shape and can't take max armor or advanced weapons/equipment unless you give Yang a lot of time and salvage to work with. Ideally good condition salvage from the same model is a guaranteed boost, but variants and mechs within the same weight class could also be effective. Then by keeping mechs around and investing in them you could justify a big payout for selling them for full price.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
*quote is not edit*

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fraction Jackson posted:

Not so much that you're really ever in danger of insolvency, but enough that building up a huge warchest still takes time even if you're lucky.
you over.

And this is the key point - it's a gameplay decision. A smart one, too, since you're right that it does work better than TT or MW2/4 in terms of not letting the player just run away with trillions of c-bills and make the entire concept of an economy meaningless. I don't know how to solve it or even if it should be solved that salvage is effectively always the superior choice over contract pay, but it is :shrug:

yang taking 0 seconds to turn three salvage bits into a functional, fully armed robot seems to be explicitly not loving over a player teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, and that's good - if that's the price we pay for a sort of nonsensical situation of running around with 50 mechs stuffed under our mattress to sell on a rainy day, well, there are worse tradeoffs.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Psion posted:

And this is the key point - it's a gameplay decision. A smart one, too, since you're right that it does work better than TT or MW2/4 in terms of not letting the player just run away with trillions of c-bills and make the entire concept of an economy meaningless. I don't know how to solve it or even if it should be solved that salvage is effectively always the superior choice over contract pay, but it is :shrug:

yang taking 0 seconds to turn three salvage bits into a functional, fully armed robot seems to be explicitly not loving over a player teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, and that's good - if that's the price we pay for a sort of nonsensical situation of running around with 50 mechs stuffed under our mattress to sell on a rainy day, well, there are worse tradeoffs.

A good middle ground might be actually being able to sell salvage pieces, but assembling a full mech taking some time. That way you have the cash infusion and a way to handle chassis where you're eternally stuck at 2/3 pieces, but it'd be less money than selling a full mech. So, taking the time to get it ready for prime time before sale would be better, but you might not always have that time and you might opt to try for 2-3 contracts at full pay rather than wait for salvage to be ready?

It's a thought, although I don't know if it's something that actually needs to be fixed. There are other things that are probably a bigger priority.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

So, funny thing, I launched Steam, saw some updating going on and after I got to the Main Screen, and had clicked campaign, realised I couldn't continue my old campaign and no saves were to be found. Like none of them. Is that abug or die I screw up something when I deactivated Cloud Sync?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Einbauschrank posted:

So, funny thing, I launched Steam, saw some updating going on and after I got to the Main Screen, and had clicked campaign, realised I couldn't continue my old campaign and no saves were to be found. Like none of them. Is that abug or die I screw up something when I deactivated Cloud Sync?

I had the same thing happen to me. Fixed it by deleting modded lines out of the jsons and changing them back to stock.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

I had the same thing happen to me. Fixed it by deleting modded lines out of the jsons and changing them back to stock.

I'm playing vanilla :confused:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Einbauschrank posted:

I'm playing vanilla :confused:

Maybe opting out of beta patches is what fixed it for me then.

I spent 30 mins loving around with it all and going back and forth. Who knows what finally got it to work.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

Maybe opting out of beta patches is what fixed it for me then.

I spent 30 mins loving around with it all and going back and forth. Who knows what finally got it to work.

Opting out of beta and a quick prayer to to Holy Blake made it work again. Thank you!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

jng2058 posted:

Try this mod to nuke the difficulty bumps. https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/25

Thanks, it's nice to have the option.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wait, how did that tank get up there?

I blew up the building for science, tank took no damage in the fall. Lame.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Reminder to :siren:join the light mech tournament:siren:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

It spawned there. That looks like the same place i have seen vehicles and mechs spawn, and never move off. Even mechs with JJs just stay up there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Tanks would be scarier if they all had jump jets.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Can you only get the one Gauss? Kinda wanna try a double Gauss Crab.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

homullus posted:

Tanks would be scarier if they all had jump jets.

They did have those in Soviet Russia. Just throw it out of a plane and it's gonna RCS itself right side up and land softly. Crew, ammo and everything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I remember correct, there is at least one tank in cannon that has JJs, I just cant check Sarna right now.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If I remember correct, there is at least one tank in cannon that has JJs, I just cant check Sarna right now.

The Kanga http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kanga

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

It's the Kanga: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kanga

e;f,b.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flipswitch posted:

Can you only get the one Gauss? Kinda wanna try a double Gauss Crab.

I found a second one somewhere

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

~Tactician~

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It spawned there.

:thejoke:

Dandywalken posted:

~Tactician~

Was hoping someone would post that :hfive:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/87?tab=files

New version of the mod that makes Juggernaut auto-Brace after a melee attack. :woop:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've just thought, Juggernaut should add damage based on your evasion pips. Faster you move, the harder you hit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I've just thought, Juggernaut should add damage based on your evasion pips. Faster you move, the harder you hit.
Does that apply to DFA, is the questio-Oh gently caress THE QUICKDRAWS ARE COMING FOR US.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Heavier mechs move slower but have more mass and momentum

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
How does one modify the AC weapons to have more rounds in their animations? I'd like to kick the AC20 up to 4 or 5 just for kicks.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Unzip and Attack posted:

How does one modify the AC weapons to have more rounds in their animations? I'd like to kick the AC20 up to 4 or 5 just for kicks.

Someone posted this a few pages back.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fitting out a Grasshopper. I've maxed out the support weapons with machine guns because the ammo lasts forever even with just one ton. Is it worth switching in some small lasers for discohopper? It doesn't run amazingly hot but it will start to stack up fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

ProjectilesPerAttack