Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

It wouldn't stick. Dr. Strange has the superpower of being a highly-marketable character, which means he can only die for real if his actor refuses to play him anymore.
I wish Cumberbatch would refuse to play Strange anymore :allears:

yeah I know he was fine in IW, blah blaa

In other news Chris Pine has been seen on the set of Wonder Woman 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
has there been any word on whether strange 2 is gonna happen or not

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uhh Strange got dusted in Infinity War pt 1 if you'll recall

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
aw man does this mean we'll never get another spider-man or black panther either

my day is ruined

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

site posted:

aw man does this mean we'll never get another spider-man or black panther either

my day is ruined

Naw everyone knows Miles Morales is taking over as Spidey and Shuri is becoming the new Black Panther

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Naw everyone knows Miles Morales is taking over as Spidey and Shuri is becoming the new Black Panther

On one hand, Holland is perfect as Peter Parker. Otoh, Letitia Wright is way better than Chadwick Boseman for their respective roles

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arbitrary Coin posted:

heck, works for me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spider-man's friend Ned goes to a factory and gets his hand crushed by a radioactive hydraulic press. He blacks out but awakens the next morning to discover he has all the abilities of a hydraulic press and can crush objects at thousands of pounds per square inch.

He has become, Psider-Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zzulu posted:

technically you can just shoot dr strange in the head and he'll die

I don't think he has like super reflexes or anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4lhMzNNHE

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

has there been any word on whether strange 2 is gonna happen or not

Depends on whether you believe Cumberbatch (who said it won't, but that may have been hedging because of Infinity War) or the director of the first one (who said yes, it will be about Strange taking on the title of Sorcerer Supreme and feature Nightmare as the villain). Cumberbatch is signed to a multi-film contract.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If they signed a contract, they'll do it. No one crosses The Mouse.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I thought Doom was Latverian.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

If they signed a contract, they'll do it. No one crosses The Mouse.

Don't be so sure. Hugo Weaving signed a multi-film contract but has only appeared once (that wasn't him in Infinity War).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey so i was trying to come up with something to watch and i have vague recollections of an indie-ish movie where the premise was if captain america was an rear end in a top hat that was supposedly good, does anyone know what im talking about

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

hey so i was trying to come up with something to watch and i have vague recollections of an indie-ish movie where the premise was if captain america was an rear end in a top hat that was supposedly good, does anyone know what im talking about

You're think of The Guest and you should watch it because it's a great movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cool, ty ty

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

X-O posted:

You're think of The Guest and you should watch it because it's a great movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Perfect movie.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Apparently the key to success is just getting Dan Stevens to play characters named David.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theironjef posted:

Wasn't Doom only Roma so that his mom could be burned for witchcraft (and not because of prejudice, but rather because she was an actual witch)? Feels kinda like how The Mandarin is a really bad idea to actually put on screen as a wispy-mustached Chinese death wizard.

Going back a page but this reminded me that I idly clicked on a thread on the Marvel movie subreddit that was about people debating the merits of Iron Man 2 vs. IM3 and a whooooole bunch of people there are apparently really pissy that IM3 "ruined" the Mandarin.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Man, Legion is so good. This season was starting to drag, but the last two episodes have been great. [/tv talk]

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kai Tave posted:

Going back a page but this reminded me that I idly clicked on a thread on the Marvel movie subreddit that was about people debating the merits of Iron Man 2 vs. IM3 and a whooooole bunch of people there are apparently really pissy that IM3 "ruined" the Mandarin.

Some weirdos will always be forever mad that the movies aren't just panel by panel recreations of whatever comics were popular in their childhood. For what reason I do not know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HOLY poo poo THE GUEST IS THE BEST GODDAMNED MOVIE EVER

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

Some weirdos will always be forever mad that the movies aren't just panel by panel recreations of whatever comics were popular in their childhood. For what reason I do not know.

The thing is that the Mandarin, like, his whole deal is "he's a Fu Manchu villain with a bunch of magic supertech rings." He doesn't even sound like a very interesting villain concept honestly, it's like a mishmash of two separate things that got crammed together because "hey it's comics, whatever." Making the Mandarin actually just a representation of America's deep and abiding fear of anybody with a funny sounding name and brown skin to the point that Killian just literally mashed all sorts of poo poo together when faking it up because it's not like anyone would really notice or care is one of the cleverer things Marvel's done imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

HOLY poo poo THE GUEST IS THE BEST GODDAMNED MOVIE EVER

Welcome to the party, Pal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is that the Mandarin, like, his whole deal is "he's a Fu Manchu villain with a bunch of magic supertech rings." He doesn't even sound like a very interesting villain concept honestly, it's like a mishmash of two separate things that got crammed together because "hey it's comics, whatever." Making the Mandarin actually just a representation of America's deep and abiding fear of anybody with a funny sounding name and brown skin to the point that Killian just literally mashed all sorts of poo poo together when faking it up because it's not like anyone would really notice or care is one of the cleverer things Marvel's done imo.

You're absolutely not wrong. The only thing I understand is that updating The Mandarin from Fu Manchu to be more Osama Bin Laden is fine way of updating that character for modern times. It's trading one stereotype for another, don't get me wrong. But I'm always interested in how modernization affects comic book characters. Frank going from a Vietnam vet to fighting in Afghanistan for instance.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That guy should totally play faux-Captain America if they do something based off the What If story when Cap was unfrozen in the 70s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Samovar posted:

That guy should totally play faux-Captain America if they do something based off the What If story when Cap was unfrozen in the 70s.

After seeing The Guest (which I also loved), Dan Stevens was my choice to play Iron Fist. Looks just like the comic book version, too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Am very happy to see The Guest getting love, I went into it completely blind and just figured it would be a standard psycho housemate tale. Then Lance Reddick showed up, everything clicked and it’s just the best and funniest frickin’ thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Samovar posted:

That's basically what 'The Guest' is, except the real Cap doesn't show up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i watched the guest with a friend at 3 am when we were both shitfaced like a year ago and i didn't "get" it. i kept looking at him and asking "is this for real? is this a spoof? what the gently caress is this?" and he kept laughing and replying "I KNOW, RIGHT?"

i remember very little about the movie beyond my utter and complete bewilderment, but i need to see it again. of course netflix doesn't have it, this is literally like the sixth time in a row i've searched for a specific movie there and come up empty-handed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Weird. I watched it on (Canadian) Netflix.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
American Netflix is becoming a hellscape. Hulu and Prime are better now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Netflix is just doing what they said they'd do: make it primarily original content.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
netflix has a ton of good stuff, i just think they're in my head, loving with me, at this point. i'm not exaggerating when i say it's been five or six times in a row over the past few months. i barely use it, i just mainly keep it to account share with family, and i'll find the odd thing here or there every so often that makes me feel like it's worth $12 a month (i watched 7 episodes of mindhunter yesterday, for instance).

it'll be even weird stuff where i'll see they have cap 3 and i'll search for iron man 3, and nothing. i'm sure it's weird contracts with disney starting their own streaming thing, but still, you'd think that if they had one that they'd have the other in the meantime.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The same director's previous film, You're Next, is rather fun too. Like The Guest, the setup seems quite standard at first, in this case your average family home invasion horror...and like The Guest, there's a curveball.

Turns out the girlfriend of one of the family was raised by a crazy Australian prepper and the film basically becomes less horror, more Rambo or Predator. The first time she fights one of the killers is - after decades of horror films where people get the jump on a maniac, knock them down only to inexplicably run away and hide to be killed by them later - pure cathartic bliss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the guest was good. not what i was expecting at all from the premise but good. if anyone else hasnt seen it yet would definitely recommend

the stress of the climax was kinda ruined when a song from loving hotline miami came on and i burst out laughing though lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

the guest was good. not what i was expecting at all from the premise but good. if anyone else hasnt seen it yet would definitely recommend

the stress of the climax was kinda ruined when a song from loving hotline miami came on and i burst out laughing though lol

The soundtrack is essentially a character in the film.

And the scene where the nerd fights back is amazing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my wife brought up a point on Infinity War after watching Black Panther tonight, and I can't no-prize her an answer.

During the final fight for the last stone, why is there no air support (or rhinos) from Wankanda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IUG posted:

So my wife brought up a point on Infinity War after watching Black Panther tonight, and I can't no-prize her an answer.

During the final fight for the last stone, why is there no air support (or rhinos) from Wankanda?

Because the ships were blown up and the rhinos killed recuperating in a farm upstate in BP, they haven't had time to make more.

• Locked thread