Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some of the Kingdom Hearts spinoff games have very involved upgrade systems like that. you have to be ok with peak angsty anime tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Metal Cat posted:

Hi there, I'm looking for basically any single-player action game that allows you to constantly upgrade and mod your arsenal in specific ways, so that you can have all sorts of specialized and crazy guns for different types of enemies/monsters/etc. Kinda like the first Parasite Eve or Resident Evil 4. Doesn't really have to be a survival horror or anything, but the closer to the PE format, the better.

Have you played Dead Space?
The new Prey's got pretty robust upgrade systems too.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 25, 2018

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Metal Cat posted:

Hi there, I'm looking for basically any single-player action game that allows you to constantly upgrade and mod your arsenal in specific ways, so that you can have all sorts of specialized and crazy guns for different types of enemies/monsters/etc. Kinda like the first Parasite Eve or Resident Evil 4. Doesn't really have to be a survival horror or anything, but the closer to the PE format, the better.

Tonally, It’s quite a bit different than what your asking for, but the Ratchet and Clank series has some of the most fun weapon upgrade systems and selections ever. The later games allow you to focus on certain stats and the weapons will evolve based on what you choose to upgrade. They also gain experience and level up separately from the upgrade system.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Metal Cat posted:

Mercenary Kings has an insane amount of gun and arsenal upgrading/customization.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

a_good_username posted:

Mercenary Kings has an insane amount of gun and arsenal upgrading/customization.

I really need to get around to playing this at some point.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 24, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

nachos posted:

Ruiner I guess

Ruiner is just straight up a good suggestion for anyone who hasn't played it but wants a good romp

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Ruiner is just straight up a good suggestion for anyone who hasn't played it but wants a good romp

Can't say I agree. I mean, they may very well enjoy it, but it's not a sure thing because it's got its share of problems.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Can't say I agree. I mean, they may very well enjoy it, but it's not a sure thing because it's got its share of problems.

Eh nothing's ever a sure thing, but suggestions aren't supposed to be

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I always enjoy the little card games activities some RPGs have, like Triple Triad or Gwent and I'd like to play a full game of that but I'd rather it not be online and change it's balancing and meta every week. I've considered Heartstone several times but I keep seeing people - who actually enjoy playing the game - grumbling every time a patch comes and changes the meta and they gotta reshuffle their decks or scrap around to be able to buy new cards to be able to properly play again and that sounds like a pain.

I think Monster Slayers might fit the bill well, its a pretty light deck building roguelight. https://store.steampowered.com/app/496620/Monster_Slayers/

Im loving Renowned Explorers:International Society. Anyone got any suggestions that might somehow help scratch that low-intensity adventure exploration itch?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i want a game where i can design and build my own spaceship(s) that shoot at other spaceships. something like space engineers but not dead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Exactly what is the problem with Ruiner? Everyone talks about it being disappointing but I've never heard the details.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Exactly what is the problem with Ruiner? Everyone talks about it being disappointing but I've never heard the details.

2 enemy types in the entire game, but not in a fun way like Super Hot.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For me personally I didn't enjoy the game flow. For instance sometimes I'd try to dash and it just wouldn't (there's an overheat mechanic so you can't dash too much, but that wasn't the problem). Someone suggested it might be because the game doesn't have action-queuing, so if say you try to dash just before your melee attack animation ended then it won't be read by the game.

Also every single time I was moving from one battle room to the next splash-screens would pop up the same way screamers would in those old flash videos when that was popular. It's not scary in this case (or intended to be), but it is annoying.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I highly enjoyed it, but I guess maybe I just went with how the game worked and used that for how I played. I basically built my dude to be Juggernaut and just dashed through poo poo to kill it. I remember it having more than 2 enemy types though also. There weren't a ton, but while they were generally human, the stuff they could do varied. Some had shields, some didn't. Some used melee, some used guns, there was a lot of stuff. Or were you guys just talking about needing a lot more stuff than just humans?

Also I dunno what you're talking about with the dashing. The game is built around a dash queuing system.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 26, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Also I dunno what you're talking about with the dashing. The game is built around a dash queuing system.

Oh yes, that mechanic. I was surprised it existed since it's supposed to be this fast-paced smash & gun but it has a mechanic that pauses the game.

But no, I'm talking about trying to dash the once and it wouldn't register like half the time for me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I think Monster Slayers might fit the bill well, its a pretty light deck building roguelight. https://store.steampowered.com/app/496620/Monster_Slayers/

Im loving Renowned Explorers:International Society. Anyone got any suggestions that might somehow help scratch that low-intensity adventure exploration itch?

The Curious Expedition. It's basically Doomed Victorian Expedition Simulator

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yes, that mechanic. I was surprised it existed since it's supposed to be this fast-paced smash & gun but it has a mechanic that pauses the game.

But no, I'm talking about trying to dash the once and it wouldn't register like half the time for me.

God forbid a fast game includes a bullet time mechanic

Anyways I went ahead and tested it. Single click dash will fail to activate if you are not moving while trying to dash or if you hold it too long. A single click will move you in the direction you're currently moving, so if you want finer control you have to use the queuing system. But it activates just fine.

It's possible you're too used to Bayonetta-style dodging where you can activate that poo poo at seriously any moment in a combo, but that's a game with relatively long button strings that you kinda just mash on while watching for stuff to happen. That game also has a bullet time mechanic, but I can't be sure that's why you're expecting dashing to work mid-swing. Regardless you'll probably be more effective in Ruiner if you use melee with the dash queuing system since it fucks people up if you melee mid-dash and is super rad to look at. But if you don't like the game, that's your preference. I would still suggest it to anyone who wants to kill tons of mooks and the occasional boss with style.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 26, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I know this is hard, but I always liked the chemistry system in SS13, are there any single player games that have stuff like it?(Be it called alchemy or magic, the name matters not)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nalesh posted:

I know this is hard, but I always liked the chemistry system in SS13, are there any single player games that have stuff like it?(Be it called alchemy or magic, the name matters not)

Well, there are Minecraft mods that go really into that stuff. More on the alchemical and magical side thoug, but with a lot of emphasis on the procedure and combination.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nalesh posted:

It's sort of tangential, but SpaceChem might be up your alley. It's essentially about getting a bunch of elemental atoms and then transforming them into other compounds. Though mind that the focus of the game lies more in building a sort of assembly line to actually move individual atoms around and fuse them together. Similarly, the more recent Opus Magnum by the same developer is quite similar, but leans more into a magical aesthetic and has a smaller, more focused scale.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Spacechem is fun and all, but it doesn't allow you to use your horrible horrible mixture in the field :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

God forbid a fast game includes a bullet time mechanic

Anyways I went ahead and tested it. Single click dash will fail to activate if you are not moving while trying to dash or if you hold it too long. A single click will move you in the direction you're currently moving, so if you want finer control you have to use the queuing system. But it activates just fine.

There's a major difference between slowing down time and pausing the game while you strategize, and I think if a run & gun game has a less responsive dodge/dash than a Souls game then that's not good.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I've been on an immersive sim/stealth kick and just went through Mankind Divided/Dishonored 2/Death of the Outsider, and I'm still craving more.

Can anyone recommend any first or third-person immersive sim/stealth action games on PC or PS4? For stealth I'd probably prefer games that let you fall back onto action (like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4) rather than strict stealth games or games where you can't fight back and will scare me shitless before I go to bed :p I love the multiple approaches of immersive sims, but also enjoy both open world and linear games.

I've already played - all the Deus Ex games, Prey, System Shock 2, all the Dishonored games, Arkham Asylum/City, HZD, Vampire: Bloodlines.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i want a game where i can design and build my own spaceship(s) that shoot at other spaceships. something like space engineers but not dead.

Check out Reassembly. It's sort of a build-your-own anthive simulator, except the ants are spaceships. You can piece together ships out of basic building blocks, test them under AI control against other similar-cost ships, then take them in-game. If you stick a factory on a ship then it can build more ships itself using the resources it accumulates, otherwise you take resources back to stations so they can build ships.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

hampig posted:

I've been on an immersive sim/stealth kick and just went through Mankind Divided/Dishonored 2/Death of the Outsider, and I'm still craving more.

Can anyone recommend any first or third-person immersive sim/stealth action games on PC or PS4? For stealth I'd probably prefer games that let you fall back onto action (like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4) rather than strict stealth games or games where you can't fight back and will scare me shitless before I go to bed :p I love the multiple approaches of immersive sims, but also enjoy both open world and linear games.

I've already played - all the Deus Ex games, Prey, System Shock 2, all the Dishonored games, Arkham Asylum/City, HZD, Vampire: Bloodlines.

Alpha protocol
Chronicles of riddick
Bioshock games too if you haven’t played those

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hampig posted:

Tomb Raider 2013
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Gunpoint
Mark of the Ninja
Splinter Cell
Beyond Good & Evil
ECHO
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

hampig posted:

Metal Gear Solid V

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

There's a major difference between slowing down time and pausing the game while you strategize, and I think if a run & gun game has a less responsive dodge/dash than a Souls game then that's not good.

The game doesn't pause, it slows down, and it slows down only enough to allow you to get the queue done without it being suicide for the tradeoff of not being able to attack things while you do it. Using it for any amount of time longer than it takes to input your dash queue is detrimental. It also allows for much more complex actions, aside from allowing for much longer individual dashes. I mean it's fine for you to not like the game, but don't misrepresent what it is. The dash queue is not a panic button, and using it that way will get you hosed up. It allows the player to accomplish more complex plans of attack that are absolutely necessary at higher difficulties. You say it's less responsive, but it's actually very responsive, it's just less forgiving with your inputs and the game demands more precision. Demanding more precision in a game that is essentially a more heavily populated Hotline Miami with super powers is perfectly fine.

I have also have no idea why you would think the dodging in a Souls game would be good for comparison here. The poo poo you can do to nullify enemy attacks in Souls games would completely trivialize Ruiner's difficulty, and they are worlds apart in terms of combat style to begin with.

Again, it's fine for you to not like the game, but don't misrepresent it.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 26, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Again, it's fine for you to not like the game, but don't misrepresent it.

Don't feel like continuing this, but I did want to say that if it's true the multi-dash only slows things down instead of pausing then sorry, my bad, I didn't really use it much because it seemed like the latter.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Don't feel like continuing this, but I did want to say that if it's true the multi-dash only slows things down instead of pausing then sorry, my bad, I didn't really use it much because it seemed like the latter.

Right on. If you ever feel like trying it again, I highly recommend getting the ability that makes it so that if you dash while your shield is up, you cause damage and stagger (depending on the mookness of the enemy). It really changes how you deal with dashing. You pretty much do your normal thing but now your multi dash queues is you setting up omnislash. For added radness, switch to melee and do a mid-dash melee attack from behind the last dude as you pass through them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

hampig posted:

Deus E--

hampig posted:

Oh :flaccid:
Have you played MGS5? It's good. Actually, MGS5 is probably exactly what you're looking for, a very fun-to-play instance of the classic sneak 'n shoot series.
If you don't mind an RPG instead of an action game, consider Alpha Protocol, which is a well-written but mechanically-clunky modern spy game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hampig posted:

If you devoured Dishonored and Prey, then try going back to Arkane's previous games: Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

HITMAN would be a another good place to start. There's also the Stalker series, though you have to be ready to handle some jank and the stealth system is only vaguely there. Neon Struct is an indie Deus Ex/Thief pastiche.

If you're cool with really old stuff, you can try cracking into the classics - Ultima Underworld 1&2 and System Shock 1 are readily available, and in SS1's case includes a much-needed QoL patch that makes the game control in a much more modern way.

I will also hesitantly suggest Thief 4, as it's basically a budget Dishonored and while it gets a lot of poo poo, it's not abjectly terrible, just kind of clunky and weird.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

nachos posted:

Alpha protocol
Chronicles of riddick
Bioshock games too if you haven’t played those

Really Pants posted:

Tomb Raider 2013
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Gunpoint
Mark of the Ninja
Splinter Cell
Beyond Good & Evil
ECHO
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Probottt posted:

Metal Gear Solid V

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Have you played MGS5? It's good. Actually, MGS5 is probably exactly what you're looking for, a very fun-to-play instance of the classic sneak 'n shoot series.
If you don't mind an RPG instead of an action game, consider Alpha Protocol, which is a well-written but mechanically-clunky modern spy game.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I might have even gotten MGS5 free on PS+, and I also have Tomb Raider reboot sitting around which I didn't realise would fit the bill :)

John Murdoch posted:

If you're cool with really old stuff, you can try cracking into the classics - Ultima Underworld 1&2 and System Shock 1 are readily available, and in SS1's case includes a much-needed QoL patch that makes the game control in a much more modern way.

If I was going to go all the way back to the classics, I think I'd hit up Thief 1 & 2, I'm just a little worried they won't hold up after all these years. Same reason I haven't gone back to the original Deus Ex since playing it on release :3:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Deus Ex holds up incredibly well, particularly when combined with Biomod to fix all of the rough edges (gameplay-wise, anyway, the graphics are their own interesting facet).

In the case of the Thief games, I think the way it works now is you can play both out of a modified version of 2, along with an array of custom missions. How well they hold up, eh, Thief 1 is probably down to a level by level basis (especially when you include the extra levels from Gold), 2 is much more positively regarded even now, but I personally think it still has some problems.

And FWIW, there's apparently been some slow progress at making Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2 run better. The former has gotten a positive reappraisal over time, and I still maintain that Deus Ex 2 is fun if flawed.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 27, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Seconding that Deus Ex holds up well; I played it for the first time in, like, 2014 and enjoyed it plenty, which is surprising considering I bounce off a lot of 3D games from that era for being too janky.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Thirding that Deus Ex holds up well. I played it for the first time about a year ago with some mod (GMDX, I think?) and it was good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hampig posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I might have even gotten MGS5 free on PS+, and I also have Tomb Raider reboot sitting around which I didn't realise would fit the bill :)

The new Tomb Raiders are quite like Uncharted, but with a bow.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Wandering through my "stealth" category, the only ones that haven't been mentioned are the "Styx" games and "Sir, You Are Being Hunted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for games to play at work. Genre isn't too important. Main qualifications:
Works on Mac
Really light on performance - I need to be able to tab over to other things without seeing any slowdown from having the game run in the background, also it's a laptop
Can be run windowed
Preferably turn-based or with zero time constraint but at least easy to pause
Easy to jump into and out of, sometimes for hours at a time.

I've been playing a lot of Slay the Spire and I need something different.