Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Il Federale posted:

Was she supposed to have an English accent or not? Because it seemed like she did in some scenes but not others.

She was just following the Episode IV Princess Leia accent technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I can't help but think that if this movie was made in the 90's, it would've had something like this as it's end credits music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1f_aef8yM

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Gonz posted:

She was just following the Episode IV Princess Leia accent technique.

But Leia is an aristocrat, so it "makes sense."

Anyway, I saw the movie. It was alright, I guess. The music had too many "call-backs" and the Maul scene was kind of random. Overall, it was entertaining but forgettable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I feel I should know this but I’m drawing a blank. What was the movie?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I feel I should know this but I’m drawing a blank. What was the movie?

A Wrinkle In Time

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, that was entertaining. Not great, but nothing particularly wrong with it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/1000129078995836928?s=19

Agreed tbh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There is so much wrong with that list.

Edit: goddamn, I fell for it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They’re all listed in the order of release. Funny joke.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why is chewbacca gay

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gonz posted:

I can't help but think that if this movie was made in the 90's, it would've had something like this as it's end credits music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1f_aef8yM

I can't help but think that if Solo was made in the 90's, it would have starred Mario Van Peebles and Adrien Brody.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

eonwe posted:

why is chewbacca gay

I don't know but there's no way I'm bringing my kids to see this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PT6A posted:

There is so much wrong with that list.

Yeah, like the fact it's missing the theatrical release of the Clone Wars movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gavok posted:

I can't help but think that if Solo was made in the 90's, it would have starred Mario Van Peebles and Adrien Brody.

Mario Van Peebles.....Childish Gambino

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DC Murderverse posted:

i worked last night's opening and everyone was expecting a nightmare and it turned out to be really chill, even with our student night $6 tickets. there are a lot less college students in town now that graduation is over but still our first show filled a little over half our biggest theater then the rest hovered around a quarter full, and we had shows more than every hour. Nowhere near Avengers, or even Deadpool, or honestly even towards some lovely horror movies that inexplicably bring out every college student in town. Tonight is the real test, and I don't expect a Justice League level flop (because the movie is not that bad) but I think they expected to break the Memorial Day weekend domestic gross record pretty easily and that's in danger of not happening.

test super duper failed. anecdote and not data and all but this entire day was tragically unbusy. i've been around for a bunch of big huge releases in the last 6 months or so and this one felt far more like Justice League than any of the others. There were people but there were no big lines, no sold out shows, and walk-up sales were really low.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

eonwe posted:

why is chewbacca gay

Maybe because he showers with a naked Han.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's because of the Porgs

They also corrected his name (we've been spelling it wrong since 1977)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The funniest thing about this movie is it accidentally saying I was right 20 years ago. I saw a Special Edition toy ad in the newspaper and wondered why was this character's action figure labeled a "solo figure" because the Luke and Chewbacca ones did not came with partners either. Solo reveals that Han literally did not have a last name and the recruitment officer gave him one because he was alone.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This movie was cool.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was alright. Suffers from prequelitis, and the acting was a little stiff. It also retcons Han's entire character arc from the original trilogy, and I'll need some time before I figure out if it makes him more or less interesting.

Without going into spoilers, we're given added context to the character that change how we view his actions in the OT.

Going into spoilers, Han's always been a good guy with a good heart who literally bankrolled the goddamned rebellion he later "reluctantly" joins at great cost to himself and the scoundrel thing is an act? I mean, I guess. But viewing these things in chronological order already destroys so much of the narrative, so I guess Lucasfilm has just committed to Watch Them in Release Order.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LividLiquid posted:

Going into spoilers, Han's always been a good guy with a good heart who literally bankrolled the goddamned rebellion he later "reluctantly" joins at great cost to himself and the scoundrel thing is an act? I mean, I guess. But viewing these things in chronological order already destroys so much of the narrative, so I guess Lucasfilm has just committed to Watch Them in Release Order.

My take on this spoiler: Lucasfilm Wanted to leave room sequels, if they make more they could conceivably get him to the place he is at in ANH.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There is way too much Star Wars, this whole thing was a mistake.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I mean, yeah, he didn't end this one as an all-out scoundrel, but he's not exactly joining up with the rebellion either. He only gives the Marauders the fuel because there's no one else to give it to. He killed his ex-mentor who betrayed him twice, the crime boss is dead, and his childhood crush abandoned him. He basically does what he did in ANH; gets the rebels what they need and then peaces out while saying, "Not for me, thanks."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a reason War is plural. There's supposed to be a lot of 'em.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Laterite posted:

I mean, yeah, he didn't end this one as an all-out scoundrel, but he's not exactly joining up with the rebellion either. He only gives the Marauders the fuel because there's no one else to give it to. He killed his ex-mentor who betrayed him twice, the crime boss is dead, and his childhood crush abandoned him. He basically does what he did in ANH; gets the rebels what they need and then peaces out while saying, "Not for me, thanks."
The retcon is that he was never a scoundrel at all. He pretends to be a bad guy, but isn't. The film is very explicit about this. It's the entire plot. It isn't subtext. So in ANH, he doesn't have a change of heart. He just shows his true colors. It's a drastic character change.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yup.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm came as soon as I heard chewie was gay

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LividLiquid posted:

The retcon is that he was never a scoundrel at all. He pretends to be a bad guy, but isn't. The film is very explicit about this. It's the entire plot. It isn't subtext. So in ANH, he doesn't have a change of heart. He just shows his true colors. It's a drastic character change.

Yup.

I was really hoping the last part of the movie was going to move toward Han transitioning to a scoundrel after all the betrayals, finally learning his lesson from Harrelson and all his talk about not trusting anybody, but it didn't- I said in the other thread I think it would've been better if instead of a bunch of bad dialogue with a freckled chick, the ending is, he has to kill his GF because she double crosses him, then shoots first to kill Harrelson, and the Marauders just come and take the stuff anyway, the reveal coming that their leader was Saw Gerrera, who leaves him and Chewie on the planet with a few credits instead of offering to let them join as "great leaders" or something. That would make sense for a lead-in to ANH Han.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm not going to say I disliked Solo, but I can't really think of much to praise it for besides Alden Ehrenreich's performance, which I thought was pretty dang good. Way too much fanservice and no real story to speak of. It didn't bring anything new to the table or try to do anything exciting to get people talking, like, at all.

Also Emilia Clarke kinda just needs to...go away. Her delivery was completely off.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I wish British actors would stop fully pronouncing "t"'s when they wouldn't normally because they sure as poo poo can't make it sound natural and it takes me out of the film

Rogue One : "WhaT chance do we have?"

TLJ: "He's only geTTing stronger."

Solo: Everything by the ginger warrior queen

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 26, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They all sounded perfectly normal to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cargohills posted:

They all sounded perfectly normal to me.

gently caress off then, you limey prick. Go back to King George.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think there's an assumption that Han is good at being bad in the original movies, but he's not. He's constantly in debt to someone, presumably for loving up a job and his only assets are a ship that is not in good condition, a blaster pistol he can shoot bounty hunters first with, and a gay urry friend.

Just watching what's in the original movies, what evidence is there that he's actually good at being bad?

E: even continuing into the new trilogy, he's got a cargo ship, but people are after him, he lost his pride and joy, and he's basically only known for one thing he did like 40 years prior.

carticket fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 26, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Just watching what's in the original movies, what evidence is there that he's actually good at being bad?

He's incredibly cool and charismatic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He's also on the very planet the guy he owes money to lives.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

I agree, Episode 2 is better than the new trilogy, at least it had some cool heavy military vehicles :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having read a bit more about it, apparently Lucas had started developing a Han Solo movie in 2012 just before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney, with Lawrence Kasdan writing the script, but it seems odd to me that it was never really reported on. I'd have thought "George Lucas re-teams with Lawrence Kasdan on first Star Wars in X years" would've been big news even if it was just a rumour, but I don't remember anything about it. Does anyone recall hearing about that at the time?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

Having read a bit more about it, apparently Lucas had started developing a Han Solo movie in 2012 just before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney, with Lawrence Kasdan writing the script, but it seems odd to me that it was never really reported on. I'd have thought "George Lucas re-teams with Lawrence Kasdan on first Star Wars in X years" would've been big news even if it was just a rumour, but I don't remember anything about it. Does anyone recall hearing about that at the time?

Only us nerds care about Kasdan and “Lucas was involved in this one” isn’t exactly a good thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It wasn't reported at the time, even as a rumor. We only know about it because of a recent Kasdan interview.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

I think there's an assumption that Han is good at being bad in the original movies, but he's not. He's constantly in debt to someone, presumably for loving up a job and his only assets are a ship that is not in good condition, a blaster pistol he can shoot bounty hunters first with, and a gay urry friend.

E: even continuing into the new trilogy, he's got a cargo ship, but people are after him, he lost his pride and joy, and he's basically only known for one thing he did like 40 years prior.

My problem is that the Han in ANH is far more cynical then this Han. The movie just lacked character development. He's pretty much the same dude throughout the entire movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah who would've guessed that 20 years working for Jabba the Hutt et. al. would have the effect of making a guy more cynical?